Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June Finds 2015

Found 3 "ethnic" records today:

Indian ragas to the left, quite mellow and the addition of flute makes it stand out amongst the millions of similar records.

Then two records with Tibetan ritual music, both good but the middle one is amazing - dark deep droney chants and clanking/rattling percussion and totally solid. Never really realized industrial music was invented in Tibet centuries ago... The one to the right has some horns on it that sound very Cabaret Voltaire as well.

But put headphones on, turn up the volume and be prepared to be blown away:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    Found 3 "ethnic" records today:

Indian ragas to the left, quite mellow and the addition of flute makes it stand out amongst the millions of similar records.

Then two records with Tibetan ritual music, both good but the middle one is amazing - dark deep droney chants and clanking/rattling percussion and totally solid. Never really realized industrial music was invented in Tibet centuries ago... The one to the right has some horns on it that sound very Cabaret Voltaire as well.

But put headphones on, turn up the volume and be prepared to be blown away:

I purchased this years ago as it was sampled by the Beastie Boys on Ill Communication, but its an INCREDIBLE listen throughout . Well worth a punt and a great addition to any collection
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    I purchased this years ago as it was sampled by the Beastie Boys on Ill Communication, but its an INCREDIBLE listen throughout . Well worth a punt and a great addition to any collection
    Was this not the reason they started their Tibet charity? Since they couldn't work out the best way to distribute the sample fees, they started up a foundation...

Quote Originally Posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
    these from a local business to me,they sell alsorts of stuff,very rarely come up with records,had to buy these for £8,havent picked them up yet,so kinda of a pre-find,gonna update with conditions,the macarthy lp,s will prob be on their way to my dad
    I dig that Harvey Andrews LP - the great and the good of the UK sessioners on it too!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quick round-up of my random purchases and a few generous trades with fellow Plussers.

Trades with Mr W. Fogg. Good taste in vinyl, better taste in football. As I've told WF, I've got the Kubisova already, so will be gifting that to someone else on the board to keep the good vibes rolling. Are we still allowed to pick up Bill Cosby related stuff now, even though he's clearly a wrong 'un (what is it with garish sweaters and sexual deviance?!)? Am I banned from playing 'Hickey Burr' now? Then again, I still bust out 'Rock and Roll pt 2' whenever I want.

Guess who I got obsessed with last week? I figure I've spent too long trying to look like Ian Brown or Keef, only to be disappointed. I've decided to make my aspirations more realistic and model myself on Lowell George. More PB sandwiches please!!

Got the Amalgam from Rob's last week. Didn't really know what to expect if I'm honest. One track almost remains locked in a groove, but mostly it's skronkery and has led to spousal botherment. Will be available to anyone with slightly more open ears than mine. The other three were from local chazzas last weekend. Quite like the Singers Unlimited, with Pat Williams on the arrangements. The Xian LP is probably well known round here: side one is awful, proper happy clappy nonsense, but side two is a 'Jazz for Jesus' affair with a few tracks that definitely wouldn't have been shamed by inclusion on 'Resurrection'. The MPS is just pedestrian piano jazz trio stuff that I knew was a mistake even as I handed the quid over!

My new policy is to allow one spuff per month (i.e. per salary) to pick off an item on my Wants list. This month was the Gemignani 'Modern Percussion' LP. Crazy stuff, funky jazz with breaks and grooves (mostly one theme repeated in variations over several tracks). The other Percussion LP is Gemignani related and is mostly atmospheric noodling, except for one bonkers track / passage on the 'Kama Soutra' side, got this one for cheap off ebay.fr. The Al Hirt LP, obviously famed for 'Harlem Hendoo', was from ebay.uk for less than the price of a sandwich (I was sole bidder) and has been on my Wants list for ages. Much more solid LP than I'd expected too. Happy days.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Jealous of the 'Modern Percussion original, only have a reissue. The Al Hirt was a VV classic that eluded me for many years and when I finally found one - like you I found it much more to my liking than I expected.

Bill Cosby - yeah, that record is dope. I will allow myself to continue listening to it...
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Picked up one old school rap 12":

Ronnie Gee: Raptivity

Thumbs up

Nice finds there Ben mate...I've got that 'One way' Xian thingy, as you know couple of great tracks on it, I've got Nige to thanks for putting me onto it.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

That'll teach me to do a quick reply - this was intended for Benicio Del Toffo back on page 1 of this thread...

I'll forgive you Terry Riley comment as you've just turned me on to Larry Page - specifically "Do it in Slow Motion" from Rampage - so good. Just hit the spot, Ta!

Rampage would be a very satisfactory $1 bin find for that track.

A trawl around the local chazzas just now which I will class as a success. And I've not had many of those recently.

Tubby Hayes - Return Visit! Original UK Mono press. Every possibility it was trashed looking at it, but at 50p it was worth the chance. Plays much better than it has any right to and a clean should improve it even more.

Ann Peebles - Tellin' It. OG UK again. Love Ann Peebles, have all her 45s I think but this is only my second album of hers and there are at least a couple of non 45 tracks.

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Nitty Gritty. Gladys has one of the great voices. Too bad she veered too close to MOR territory in the 70s.

All these from the same shop. A new guy behind the counter. I asked him if there had been any others I had missed. Yes he said he had had a few himself - mainly soul including Curtis , Millie J , Fontella Bass (which was trashed). He also likes a bit of Tubby Hayes. B*gger. So I obviously had his leftovers, the ones he didn't think were in good enough condition. Ann & Tubby will clean up OK, not so sure about Gladys its skipping at the mo, and looks like any chances of finding soul and jazz there in the future will be slim.

Jacques Dutronc - 24 Grands Succes Had seen Mr Dutronc get some mentions on here. Thought I would dip my toe in the water. Glad I did.

Nothing less than a result on the Tubby! Nice one.

Some parptastic German press easy gear

The New Ricardo Santos Sound
    (Decca)

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4356999?ev=rb

Horst Fischer - World Cup Trumpet
    (Philips)

100% parp. "Dragnet" is great fun.

Berry Lipman & his Orchestra - The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
    (BASF)

Very good! Equal part parp and decent beats

http://www.discogs.com/Berry-Lipman-...elease/3001715
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

update from my last post..took out the trash,the others left were in mint condition,which was worth the punt..plus some others from todays chazza finds

the deroy is an acetate,school girl choir unfortunately :0(
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

These are just some of the great singles I bought at a record fair today - they came from a Music Publishers
    clear-out (50p each) there were a lot of unknown acetates too and plenty to sell on but these were some of my keepers

demo of the first Monty Python related 7"?

note the mis-spelling of Pele

at last! my first and only cricket related record

1968 Argo Records promo - signed on the back by an Argo label big-wig (probably)

the one and only record released by the great actress

quite bizarre that when they were not releasing Queen records EMI were knocking out singles like this

one sided test pressing of the TV advert by Darth Vader

this single just bombed upon release

B side of US issue of Coney Island Baby

the original issue date caught my eye

great sleeve for this French EP

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

demo of the first Monty Python related 7"?
    And it's the actual version used on the TV series too - the definitive recording, I reckon.

Half hearted attempt in Amsterdam and a couple of recent reissues. All pretty cheap, most 45s 2/3 Euros. But not all!

[IMG][/IMG]

Redeye - S/T. CSN&Y soundalikes. Bought on the strength of the Games 45 which is 1st track on the lp. Strong lp throughout, if CSN&Y is your thing.

Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart - It's all happening on the inside. California '69 release for the pair who wrote for The Monkees among others. Includes a twisted, drawn out cover of Jumpin' Jack Flash. The clip includes the 1.48 track Abracadabra before it too

Ford Theatre - Time Changes. Already got it. Clean vinyl, couldn't leave it in the cheapies.

Central Nervous System - I could have danced all night. A few moments on here, but a bit too flabby for me all in all.

The Wailers - Tall Cool One. Brill lp of frat party stompers from '64.

The Troggs - Trogglodynamite. Glad to pick this up in the Noorderkerk market. Page One Stereo.

Q65 - Revolution. Finally got around to picking up a copy. This is the 70s Stereo repress. Bought it in Flesch. The chap who runs the shop had a mono 1st, but it belonged to his brother, and he didn't want to part with it. I asked him why it is so hard to get a good mono 1st and he reckons that when it was released, people were so desperate for it, that it just got played to death. Which is how it should be with any great record. I've seen lots of mono copies, but never one in good enough condition that I was willing to spend lots of wedge on it. He remembers it coming out, and going to see the band in those days. It was great chatting about it, and through our conversation I could sense the magic of that short period of time in The Haag & Amsterdam. He played me his brothers copy through his dedicated mono set-up in the shop. Shit! I still need a mono copy to bang out on the old Hacker.

Sandy Coast - From The Workshop. '69 Relax. Fast forward a few years from the Q65 lp, things are loosening up a bit, that Ladbroke Grove thing going on, who cares where it came from first, I love this stuff. Is that bottles I hear in there?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Lucky to pick up this book of Nederbeat releases. 1990 reprint from the '82 original which is like hens teeth now.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Highlights of the 45s are ;
    Friends - Piccolo Man / Mythological Sunday. The flowerpot Men turn in an odd Mellotron drenched b side under a pseudonym.
    Dandelion Records sampler ep with Stackwaddy, The Way We Live, Siren, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre
    The Motions- There's no place to hide / Everything That's Mine. Upgraded the Utrecht copy.
    Anita Harris - The Playground /B-A-D for me. Top tune, I find it a bit spooky really.

George Cash - Thanks for the love / Calling out your name. Completed my GC collection with this one. Good b side.
    Mick Jagger - Memo from Turner / Natural Magic. All about the instrumental Jack Nitzsche b side. Worth a euro .

The 2 TOR 45s are newish from Those Old Records. Both from Acetates recoreded in the Kettering area in '68.

Two:

BONGOS by Los Admiradores

Early Enoch Light job from 1959. A good one. Bongos plastered everywhere, not least in the voluminous programme notes which extract a huge and varied use of the word.

The most exciting of the new sounds that have been added to American music in the past few years is unquestionably the stirring, stimulating, staccato rhythms of the bongos.
    This album features the excitement of superb bong playing (and the opportunity to join in on your own bongo set and even pick up some tricks of the recognized masters of this fascinating instrument).
    You hear bongo against bongo...
    The sharp sounds of the bongos produce what is technically known as "pulse information".
    The last eight bars of the first chorus makes use of an instrument which is set up to encompass a set of 13 chromatic bongos, tuned at intervals so as to cover the range of one octave.

Wanderin' With Eddy Arnold

Nothing as winsomely spectacular as 'Cattle Call' but some stripped down ballads and spirituals delivered with a simple, plaintive, mourning twang.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Four more. Two comedy and two Olde English Spelling Bee.

Saul T. Peter—For Women Only
    Campy songs accompanied by piano. Despite title more for men than women. Strong prurient interest. Sleeve good. Bit of a one tracker though: 'Oooo Have I got Hot Nuts For You' where the Oooo is enunciated as a long moan. Although ostensibly singing about selling hot nuts, Saul T. Peter is in fact singing about the sex interest.

Anna Russell—A Practical Banana Promotion
    Side One is taken up by a tedious satire of advertising and business enlivened only by a few songs. Side two begins with a monologue about the orchestra before we have two send ups of poetry and jazz which are pretty great. The first 'My ear' is a rythmic loony finger snapping story about an ear, whilst the second 'The Reuben's Woman' is an existential cry for justice over a satire of wild cacophonous jazz.

Mirage—Blood For The Return
    Olde English Spelling Bee have really slowed down their release schedule. This, from late last year, is one of the best I've heard. Record sounds fantastic. En vogue mutant vocal pop.

Monopoly Child Star Searchers—Bamboo For Two

They were doing this thing where you got a free back catalogue record with orders of Mirage. I got this. Dude has released a lot of similars by the looks of it, all on a poorly recorded Hawaian exotica hypnagogic trip. Which has its moments but it isn't an essential record by any means, not like the Mirage one. Would be fun live.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

That Mirage LP has a great cover. As indeed, has the Anna Russell, ha ha.

Went on a two-day work related trip to Budapest. Not much scope for shopping, but luckily Laci Bacsi was only a couple of streets away from where I was staying, so I slipped out on my lunch breaks and sifted through some Hungarian gear....

Solaris - Marsbeli Kronikak. 1980s synth-goodness laden prog - inspired by The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, but thankfully mostly instrumental (bar the odd high pitched phrase in Hungarian) - this is very inventive, never boring, and jolly good.
    P R Computer is poppy electronic stuff from 1983, created using some home-made ZX81 and Spectrum based equipment, couldn't resist. It sounds to me like perky Bruton music of the same period.
    Sarolta Zalatnay well known round these shores. The Hadd Mondjam El is a 2008 reissue, but it was a quarter of the price of an OG, so whatever. The other album is Szeretettel, which has a couple of cracking rock-monster tunes on it.

Csaba Deseo - Ultraviola. Superb funky jazz viola - nuff said.
    Janos Gonda - Vonzasok Es Valasztasok. Solo piano, took a punt, don't think it's my cup of tea in the end.
    And what is more natural when in Hungary than stocking up on Bulgarian folk music? Mihail Marinov supplies me with my first Gadulka-virtuoso LP and I have the Sisters Grouevi with some Pirin Mountain Folksongs (lovely cover). I could have filled my boots with more, but time and space were tight...

I also grabbed a few interesting looking bits from the "Avant Garde" section. You know the score (sic) here, highly atonal everyone-bothering music. The Pal Karolyi in particular is awesome, textural, epic pieces informed by Ligeti, Xenakis etc.

And since that trip I hit the charities and came away with:

June Tabor with Martin Simpson - A Cut Above. Nice to stumble upon, I think I have all the Tabor albums bar one now. Love her voice, the weird phrasing she does...
    Rogero's Brazilian Brass is parptastic TJ cheese with the "buy me" factor of a couple of Hair tracks on there - Aquarius and Hare Krishna, both belters.
    Gunter Kallmann Chrous - Early In The Morning. Sunshine saturated saccharine overdose. Nowt wrong with that.
    Vic Lewis - My Way, My Way. A year ago, I had no Vic Lewis albums. I keep finding them now. As with the others, this is the ultra-easy side of easy, with melodramatic string section work all over the shop, and languid tempo throughout. Lovely stuff. John Cameron on production / arrangement duties. The only question is, where is his version of My Way?

John Schroeder - You've Made Me So Very Happy. Finding this in the wilds for a quid made me very happy, I've never turned up any of his albums before. Well, some of the Vibrations ones, but I got shot of those.
    Kate Westbrook / Mike Westbrook - Pier Rides is an interesting one, from 1986, music for contemporary dance (Extemporary Dance Theatre) sponsored by BP. There's a nice booklet inside. "The nine muses of classical Greece, the Pierides, represent the highest aspirations of human-kind, and are here re-created in a sequence of end-of-the-pier turns." Geddit? Musically it's kind of nostalgic jazz styles done in a knowing 80s style.
    I snapped up Van Halen for 50p. It's a great album. I don't know why I ever got rid of it.
    The Satya Sai Baba turns out to have the wrong record inside so bah boo yah.

Unable to make it to any car boots yesterday, so made up with a whiz round a couple of seaside charity shops in the afternoon with my v patient son in tow.

Lots of folk on the cheap - don't think I've seen an Alastair Anderson lp before, so nice to have. The Maddy Prior & June Tabor has a great line up (Martin Carthy, Nic Jones) and from a quick listen, sounds great. Chieftains LP's are as expected, might pass onto me Da as Seán Keane taught him to play fiddle in the 60's. The Himalaya is a Polish lp of Nepalese folk music, surprisingly enjoyable.

Lots of early 60's US Country lp's in lovely condition in one shop - Dave Dudley skirts around the rockabilly end of things, while Stoney Does both kinds of music, Country and Western. Picked up a few lp's by both, and the Chet Atkins is great. Lovely version of What I Say and For No One, and a Raga for good measure. Paid a whole £2 for the Whispers lp, as it has this bona fide classic. Go Go Girl we all know about, and tepid braeks ahoy with Sweet Illusion, promo pic included. Good looking lads!

Picked up a few cheapo 45's, these are best of the bunch, Marcos Valle and Francois. And a Circles Of Sounds before we got back on the train! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    The other album is Szeretettel, which has a couple of cracking rock-monster tunes on it.

John Schroeder - You've Made Me So Very Happy.
    Nice on the Schroeder. I know the very tunes on that Sarolta Zalatnay LP.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Chieftains LP's are as expected, might pass onto me Da as Seán Keane taught him to play fiddle in the 60's.
    The Hunter's Purse on Chieftains 3 is pure brilliance!

Is that Bob Carolgees in Sweet Illusion?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

A record shop I go to is next to the candle shop Bob Carolgees now owns. I'd ask him but I get starstruck when I go in.

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    Is that Bob Carolgees in Sweet Illusion?

Yep, with Diddy Dave Hamilton and also John Oates by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post

Nice. Not seen that one before.

These two have their moments.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    A record shop I go to is next to the candle shop Bob Carolgees now owns. I'd ask him but I get starstruck when I go in.
    I'll send you the pic, you can go in holding it in the air shouting "IS THIS YOU, BOB".

I've been in once, said 'allright' to him but then had a fit of the giggles behind the yankee candle display and had to leave. Its surreal seeing a Bob Carolgees in person.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    I'll send you the pic, you can go in holding it in the air shouting "IS THIS YOU, BOB".

Ha ha. Also, 'a Bob Carolgees'. Is there more than one?