Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June Finds 2015

Default June Finds 2015

May bleeds into June, so these can kickstart the June Thread.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Charisma - Beasts and fiends. Sealed Roulette og! Hats off to The Divine One for alerting me to the online stash of sealed copies of this top lp. 2nd lp from this group. Psych moving into the progressive, with nice Hammond. Some great instro tracks.Still really like Bizwambe the 45 taken from the lp

[IMG][/IMG]

Richard Twice -S/T. Philips. Another shout out for this one. Thanks Tobyd. Really enjoying this one. Well known I'm sure, but in my experience quite elusive. Beautifully crafted songs and arrangements, a proper grower.

[IMG][/IMG]

Roky Erickson - Bermuda/ The Interpreter. 1st release when he was...um released! Suitably crazy fuzzed up rocker. Fairly coherent considering he was convinced he was an alien at this point in time. Talk about fallout from the 60s!

The Schneider TM Experience - Psychedelic Queen /Uh Yeah baby! PQ is an electronic version of Don't Stop Me Now, gets a bit trance at the end. B side is an electronic noise fest, best enjoyed very loud. Suicide spring to mind.

The Music Emporium - Nam Myo Ho Renge Kyo. Bought the Psycho boot when it came out and loved it as it was. We all know now that release had a whole channel missing, so 30 something years down the line, I'm well chuffed to have "complete" versions of two of the tracks, one of which is my favourite from the lp. Anyone heard any of the more recent ( well, comparatively) reissues? I'm going to pick one up, but don't know which is best to go for.

The long May... continues into June. these from last weekend.

The “little” record fair, as I like to call it, was in town last weekend. Its focus is R&R, Doo-Wop, 50s and early 60s but there are one or two dealers who bring along some Soul boxes. This time my favourite dealer only had 2 boxes – and I had seen them before apparently. Being told there was nothing new to flick through didn’t put me off diving into the boxes one more time. I’m sure I hadn’t seen some of them before. Perhaps it was just that deeper discounts made my pay more attention. Came away with nine 45s. As I handed over the cash for them the dealer (stupidly I don’t know his name) said: “Still managed to find some then? I won’t bother to bring the Soul boxes next time”. And he dropped the bombshell the plans to retire next year – a source has maybe run its course

These averaged out at £2 each.

Mary Lee Whitney - Don't Come A Knockin' It has me knockin'!

James Brown - It's A Man's Man's Man's World Amazingly I don't think I had ever come across an original King issue of this before.

Little Eddie Two nice Soul/Blues sides

Joe Tex - That's Your Baby / Sweet Sweet Woman Always been a fan and I'm really hot on him again at the moment.

Shirley Ellis - The Puzzle Song I knew of it but don't think I had ever heard it before. Great fun.

Barbara George - Send For Me Happy to pick this up for a £1

Fontella Bass - Who You Gonna Blame Great voice.

Major Lance - Sometimes I Wonder Lovely easy mid-paced shuffler

Berty Rankin - Hard To Say I'm Sorry A random reggae record amongst all the soul. From 1991. Previously undocumented on the interweb as far as I can tell. The Version is great with lots of drums and what reminds me of a computerised version of Jack the next door neighbour's Jack Russell. Top marks to my wife who pointed out that this is a cover of an early 80s Chicago song (she is not a fan of Chicago btw).

Free jazzploration/botheration time.

Gil Evans - Svengali. I am rather enjoying Gil's 70s work - the use of electric instruments and related wibbly sounds (not to get too technical). "Blues In Orbit" here is a real trip through space.
    The Revolutionary Ensemble - The People's Republic. Saw the word 'Ligeti' in the liner notes and that sealed the deal. In reality there isn't much of a connection, but nice to hear the use of strings and things, there is space and pace, and it genuinely sounds like the musicians listen and react to each other, rather than being a bludgeon-fest.
    Tim Berne - The Five Year Plan. This is ace. There's skronkin', honkin', riffy bits and abstract soundscapes and alien processional music and I think I could listen to this a lot.
    Borah Bergman - Exploration. This sounded great in theory - jazz pianist spends years developing left hand technique so that it can operate independently and as effectively as right hand, records ground-breaking album of awe. I couldn't take it, I got bothered, it was like 20 drunken monkeys hammering away at the keyboard. I couldn't get through the first side. And I like Cecil Taylor.

More random cheapo type acquisitions.

Orion - Sometimes Words Get In The Way. A Phase 4 album that I've never heard of? Featuring space disco dudes with random light tings and white perm wigs and NO MOUTHS I MUST SCREAM? Cover versions of Mandy and Gimme Shelter featuring a vast number of different instruments? MUST HAVE. And it turns out that this is grade A+ easy dynamite. Gets my highest recommendation. They manage to cover 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'I Shot The Sheriff' and they aren't boring knock-offs, they are marvellous arrangements with all manner of sonic curlicues and arrangement tweakage that had my jaw on the floor. Brilliant.
    Yma Sumac - Legend Of The Jivaro. I've wanted this one for ages, the cover compels me to buy. It might just be the best Yma album I've heard (I've never tracked down Miracles yet) with its marvellous Yma + 'tribe' + orchestra arrangement madness, there are growls, howls, grunts and swoops - magic exotica.
    Tupper Saussy - Discover Tupper Saussy. Polite piano instrumentals, several originals, with liner notes by Brubeck. A bit of googling reveals Tupper Saussy seems to have had a crazy and multifaceted life, but this album says more like 'dinner jazz'.
    And some Roussel to make up the numbers.

A few singles too.

this is going to make a poignant sleeveface...

the music's no bad either... covers of usual American Songbook stuff, plus Coltrane's "Like Sonny" and Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments".

and a couple of lovely originals, including this:

Was lucky to cross a big want off the list today. Popular rare Danish jazz/pop/bossa. From Accord's Dutch market for about a tenth of the price.

Sorry, no sound clips online of the cool songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Was lucky to cross a big want off the list today. Popular rare Danish jazz/pop/bossa. From Accord's Dutch market for about a tenth of the price.

Sorry, no sound clips online of the cool songs.
    Looks good - even without sound.

How's the Accord market this time? Possibly going over to CPH on Sunday when prices would be 50 DKK/450 DKK for 10.
    Tough inbetween day when a lot of the real desirables may be gone but prices are still a bit high for punts.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quick round-up of finds which took leg-work and 'sort of finds' which were acquired through the medium of 'droppage'.

This first batch were mostly from trading with the always reliable Pencilface, consistently finds stuff to help me push at the boundaries of my taste! Like a digger's Andy Milburn, Joe brings the left-field to the centre ground. Can't believe I've never made the effort to own the Lord Sutch album before when it ticks so many of my boxes (especially the box that says 'Always better with Bonham'). Orphan has some nice folk grooves when they step back from the more country-fied elements and Mercy is girl group / femme vox pop-soul all the way. And I picked up a nice, clean Elaine Delmar in case anyone wants to trade for it. Don't see it in the wild much, so I thought it best to snare it on sight.

Where I work has a flexi-time scheme and I always end up with a surplus towards the end of the month, which means I need to take time back or lose it. Therefore, I've started taking Friday afternoons off and heading off to do a bit of digging in Nottingham's satellite towns. The above lot (and the next couple of pics) came from the charity shops of well-known toilet Stapleford aka 'Stabo'. All are spares to bang out in the next round of freebies (which I hope to launch next week so that all packages can be sent by the time I go on holiday). Hadn't seen that Diane Solomon for ages, then two turn up in a week. All about 'Sunshine Superman' innit?

This lot were in a chazza with the 3 for £1 deal. First Larry Page is spare, but the 'Rampage' one I didn't have and it's actually better than you have any right to expect isn't it? Some quite dirty / funky disco moves. Well worth the 33p. Not entirely convinced that I should have bought Imagination and Ten City 12"s, even for 66p, but I've just re-read Ladyboy Grimsby's tome (which was ace first time round and actually better on second reading as I've read other books on disco, with BBC4 docs fleshing out disco and Northern scenes, so the faces are more familiar and the dots easier to join, I'd urge anyone to read it, but maybe a new post-Yewtree edition is required?!), which has got me wanting to pick up more of the tracks which were integral to the development of various scenes and / or clubs. Imagination were utterly preposterous, but definitely did a few good tunes.

These lot highlighted my weakness for being dazzled by attractive girls, overlooking the flaws within. Megan McDonough has one passable track, the rest is pretty insipid country-rock. Others will all be freebies, not seen that Mike Sammes LP before though.

This lot all came from a most pleasant and straightforward trade with Per - always a diamond. It's great to do a mutually rewarding trade and find that all the items you receive are definite keepers. Recent deals with Joe and Per have kind of restored my faith in the whole process - happy days. Anyway, Irene Kral and Meta Roos tick the 'femme vox' box and also the 'summer is coming' with lovely versions of 'Going To California' and 'Zazueira' respectively. Per is helping to school me on The Gimmicks, 'California Soul' is the badger on here. Rastus very much tick my 'funky horn rock' box, with grooves, breaks and more jams than a WI Friday morning table-top sale.

Same again, these wended their way from Per in Sweden. Had the Herbolzheimer before, let it go, regretted it, have made amends. Danses A-Go-Go is pretty much a one-tracker, but it's a banger. Only had time to needle-drop Ted Atking, but it sounded like an archetypal VG+ album, grooves and parp in equal measure. I've thus far had a blind spot on Harvey Mandel, but the title track on this kneed me 'down in mah pluuuuums' (one for EBAD fans there). I need to get other, similar Harvey albums, I'm guessing 'Baby Batter', 'Cristo Redontor' and.....help?!

And the last lot (I promise!), James Clarke was from that all-too-common eBay error where you're after Item A from a foreign seller and decide to also bid on Item B (even though you're not that fussed) tomake the shipping better value. James Clarke was Item B and I ended up being pipped for Item A. Bah. The others all came from recent post-work Friday afternoon sorties to Rob's Records. Cher is a UK spare in perfectly passable condition for my use, so I've now got a minty US copy to bang in my trades in a mo. When wading through charity chud recently, I'd mused on how I'd seen almost every Jose Feliciano album conceivable, but not 'And The Feeling's Good' for ages. And then it appears. Also a spare, but I picked it up in case someone needs it and wistfully remembered the early to mid-90s when I used to see this on lists for as much as £40 on the basis of 'Golden Lady' (was Gilles playing it?). After seeing Terry Riley bigged up round these parts, I picked up a copy to see what the fuss was about. Straight in the 'out' pile, you have let me down considerably!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    How's the Accord market this time? Possibly going over to CPH on Sunday when prices would be 50 DKK/450 DKK for 10.
    Tough inbetween day when a lot of the real desirables may be gone but prices are still a bit high for punts.
    Depends on what your pleasure is. I looked through it all when they opened and only found this that I really wanted for 75 DKR / 10 Euros. They have some decent stuff, like OG 60s soul, OG 80s funk/boogie, jazz and rock, a little world/latin/misc, but mainly lots of common pop rock. If you don't make it as soon as they open, I'd prefer to wait until prices reach 30-20 DKR / 4-3 Euros if you want to punt and get some cheap common stuff. They have a listening station so you can check a lot of stuff.

There's also the Accord regular store (not the sale) on Vesterbrogade. They have a similar ongoing vinyl basement sale that they stock up every 5 weeks. Might be worth checking if you're coming over - be prepared for lots of worn vinyl though..!

Nice Gimmicks 'California Soul' cover w thick Swedish accent

Harvey Mandel's 'Cristo Redentor' is nice. Diamond D and Pharoah Monch thinks so, too.

Depends on what your pleasure is. I looked through it all when they opened and only found this that I really wanted for 75 DKR / 10 Euros. They have some decent stuff, like OG 60s soul, OG 80s funk/boogie, jazz and rock, a little world/latin/misc, but mainly lots of common pop rock. If you don't make it as soon as they open, I'd prefer to wait until prices reach 30-20 DKR / 4-3 Euros if you want to punt and get some cheap common stuff. They have a listening station so you can check a lot of stuff.

There's also the Accord regular store (not the sale) on Vesterbrogade. They have a similar ongoing vinyl basement sale that they stock up every 5 weeks. Might be worth checking if you're coming over - be prepared for lots of worn vinyl though..!
    I've been there a few time before, coming over from Malmö, and that's just my experience. At around 25DKK you can find some common stuff to fill gaps in the collection.

I've also been to the Accord basement with varying success. Week 4 now apparently (10DKK), doubt I can find anything. Maybe some CDs. As I'm heading the Vesterbro way I may pop in there.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Went back to the shop that bought a big jazz collection to see what new stuff they had put out from it. Lots of good stuff, unfortunately I feel I have to hold back a bit spending money on records now so even though the prices are very reasonable I carefully pick out the best bits.

Archie Shepp & Philly Joe Jones - S/T
    Quite skronky and free but with structure enough. Love these weird Archie Shepp records that go a lot of places at the same time, weaving in and out of freeform, blues, r'n'b, groove, spiritual. Really like the addition of violin on this one as well.

Cannonball Adderley Quintet ‎– Country Preacher
    Another good live Cannonball record with groovy, spaced out, funky and bluesy bits.

Bobby Hutcherson ‎– Cirrus
    Great vibes jazz - wonderful warm and pleasant grooves.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Its like flippin' Tommys Holiday Camp round here at the moment...."There's more at the door..."

[IMG][/IMG]

Chiitra Neogy - The Perfumed Garden. Jim Sullivan does the arrangements, Chiitra reads extracts from the 14th century erotic manual. Ooer Mrs! Fun and cringey in equal measures. Very informative too

Spinach - Action man pt 1/pt2. Side one is vocal, side 2 (almost) instrumental. Kind of a Steely Dan Do It Again rhythm going on, side one is ok with some nice guitar and keys. I think the b side works better with nice flute and recorder added to the mix with vocals sounding like they are going through a Leslie speaker. Moroder all over it.

The Golden Cups- Naga kami-no-shojo / This bad girl. Well known, scorching b side. One popped up at the right price for me. Capitol issue. Nice Toshiba inner too. Black vinyl copy.

Eden Rose - Travelling / Under the sun. Travelling is a piano driven belter, with Hammond & guitar a plenty.

few a few lp,s today via a short trip thru Maidstone..this was the better one..
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Quote Originally Posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
    few a few lp,s today via a short trip thru Maidstone..this was the better one..
    But was it any good?

just played it,not a bad lp,good mix of latin soul reggae,a couple of instros,seems the only one on that label,but has a cat number 02?

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

So I should hold back a bit, but couldn't stay away when I passed a record shop on my way to do some errands. Oh well, it's a nice little break from the jazz focus my recent purchases have had:

Massacre - Killing Time
    1981 instrumental trio somewhere between postpunk and artrock.

Biting Tongues - Don't Heal
    Postpunk with sax. Ows a bit to The Fall with much spoken vocals. Very good and a bit under the radar, at least over here.

Charity shop double whammy today.

"Take A Break" is pretty awful, really, but it was on my "I'm going to pull this for 99p one day" hit list. And at least it has the 'Martini' music on there.

R D Laing - Life Before Death is one of those records I first saw on VG+ and thought I might never see a copy of. Pow! Fantabulously oddball.

Lol, Poor Terry although he looks more like a young Terry Nutkins on the cover. His Yamaha organ noodlings on that particular album do grow on you. One of my favourite chill out albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    After seeing Terry Riley bigged up round these parts, I picked up a copy to see what the fuss was about. Straight in the 'out' pile, you have let me down considerably!

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    One of my favourite chill out albums.
    Likewise. Prime candidate for the "Ten Records ..." thread, too. This was the LP that got me interested in Indian classical music, which led to late night post-Peel Radio 3 and subsequently stuff like Berio and Cage.

Ben, you should try some of his later stuff like Harp of New Albion. Even the mid 70s LPs like Persian Surgery Dervishes, though I don't think it's all that cheap these days.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

I'm curious about Terry. Picked up a cheap CD of "Les Yeux Fermes" on a whim a little while back. Good as a backdrop when cooking.

Which isn't to say that it won't repay serious listening. It is just that is the only time I have played it.

Saw vinyl "Dervishes" shortly thereafter. Not cheap at all.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 07-06-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Two visits to the dollar bins this w/e. Yesterday brought little. Today's haul looks promising, but I have yet to digest.

"Instrumental hits in dynamic stereo" by [?]

On the EMS label. $0.50. Ex+/Ex+.

I have been told that much on this label is local session musos in Adelaide. This is hits of the day. Shaft (natch), Corazon, 2001, Love's Theme, Popcorn. I couldn't bring myself to listen to the rest of it.

There is a 'no-frills' aspect to it.

Comes in an eye-catching sleeve. The record is of a conventional shape.

I am trying to 'sell the sizzle' here in the hope of a trade.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 07-06-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Worm missing

Found some terrible terrible rubbish this month, but this really takes the biscuit and runs with it

http://www.45cat.com/record/1c00632122

A genuine "huh? wtf" moment
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Saeed Jaffrey – “The Art of Love”

Ex+/Ex+. $2.00.

Several readings from the Kama Sutra. All bar two over backdrops provided by (mainly) Indian instruments.

Jaffrey puts my efforts in this direction in their place. My delivery is stilted and mannered. At the time, my use of early 70’s 'easy' seemed an amusing juxtaposition; now it just seems cheesy.

Best left to the professionals, this sort of thing.

Default Today's diggetry

cool.

uhm what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    cool.

uhm what is it?

Clube da Esquina
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Laurindo Almeida and the Danzaneros – “Happy Cha-cha-cha”.

Ex+/VG-. $0.50. A local record club pressing of some kind (it doesn't say "WRC").

I suppose that at the time (1959?) calling it this was good marketing. However, there is a bit more going on here than the title might suggest. The (scant) sleevenotes tell us that the tracks were composed by Almeida for the film “Cry Tough”. A quick Google suggests that the film was gritty for its time. There are some fun tracks here, but there is no sense of abandon in tracks such as “Absence” and “Suspense Cha-Cha”.

I don’t know if this is a keeper, but I expect to give it a serious listen. And I’ll start keeping an eye out for possible companion albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    Love the Cannonball. Hummin and Walk tall.

Pulled in amongst a box of jazz at the bootfair this morning for less than a quid

The jazz was very Stan Getz orientated but all literally unplayed UK originals so rude not to take and there were a few other artists as well

and as per any bootfair collection a token steel band LP. Not had a chance to listen to this yet