Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: July Finds 2015

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments

Financially possibly , emotionally no

Obviously, or you wouldn't be selling it

But you can buy a few emotional records with it

Sadly its not in the best condition so dont reckon I'll get anything near that
    On ebay it's been selling for a multitude of 2 grand ....

[IMG][/IMG]

Bloody wars! I'm supposed to be SAVING money! Hope anyone interested can read the labels. If you click on the image it goes to Photobucket and you can use the magnifying glass icon to have a gander. Doubled up on a few.

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

nice selection sir - love that Evolution 45 - 2 killer sides ... just picked up the Rat Catchers ! Copperfield Brass is a fave too
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Evolution was a heads up from Lee. Copperfield Brass was nabbed dead cheap after hearing it on (once again) Lee's "mud" extravaganza. Never heard it before that. Haven't explored anything else by them yet. If there is anything else that is.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Evolution was a heads up from Lee. Copperfield Brass was nabbed dead cheap after hearing it on (once again) Lee's "mud" extravaganza. Never heard it before that. Haven't explored anything else by them yet.
    Lee was mad for it after I put one on a swap cd a few years back ............... ace band - you heard their 'fresh garbage ' ? really cool version ........... I think I paid for over the odds for mine in Barcelona about 5 years ago - as you do !! Their album is pricey
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Don't have that one Sie. I have Water also from '70 which is pretty good too. Not too pricey either. Think I'd have to settle for the Wah Wah reish of the lp, unless I got very lucky indeed.

Don't have that one Sie. I have Water also from '70 which is pretty good too. Not too pricey either. Think I'd have to settle for the Wah Wah reish of the lp, unless I got very lucky indeed.
    reish for me too mate !!
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

The Rockin Vicars is ace - Lemmy and all...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    The Rockin Vicars is ace - Lemmy and all...
    Playing some crunching guitar on it too. Wonder why he swapped to bass?

Thumbs up

Nice haul there Paul...You'd like that 'Fresh garbage', got mine at Utrecht for 15 Euro, you often see it there, so I'm sure you'll get a copy.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Lovely stuff Paul.

Fair few there I'm after!

Evolution also do a couple of King Crimson covers - one of which is on a 45 which I've not managed to snag as it's always pricey. As for the LP.....nae chance I reckon.

What's the 45 on Saga mate?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

The Saga 45 is Morris & Mitch - The magical Musherishi tourists / Mister D.J. man. Quite painful "comedy" sketch on the a side, where the Beatles meet the Maharishi, hoping to be taught the secrets of Transcendental meditation. Complete with cod Liverpudlian accents and a crazed sounding Peter Sellers Indian accent impersonation. Dreadful!
    The b side starts with a Play School style "through the........ round window...." harp flourish, before descending into a novelty fab & groovy song name checking djs of the day. Could be one for the Xmas comp.
    It's actually on Saga Trend. Don't know what was going on with those two labels, but I can't see them exactly fighting eachother to put this one out.
    Looked vaguely interesting and was cheap enough not to even worry about.

Just thought I'd add something to my latest find post as I found that the odd proggish 45 I found by Hasse Permbo was on Youtube.
    Curiously, the video consists of a photo of Thurston Moore holding a 45 by Hasse (the other one he recorded). After some digging I linked it together.
    Sonic Youth took part in a few exhibitions in the art museum of small town Ystad (yes, the Wallander town) in the early 2000s and gave concerts.
    Hasse was working as a photographer at the museum, so I suspect Hasse took this photo of Thurston holding up his record!

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Went to a record shop today to raid the £1 bins. Found a few bits and pieces, nothing spectacular, and then in the last box I had time to raid found this:

Made my day

Great looking sleeve! Peggy can't count though.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Ha - hadn't even noticed that. Picked it up (and raced out after paying!) on the recommendation of a couple of mates - nice samba/jazz/lounge feel to a lot of the tracks, couple of Jobim tracks. Nice easy listen of an afternoon, definitely recommended.

Nice one Stephen! I love the version of Blindman blindman on that...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Among a haul from Groove Attack, an institution amongst record stores within Deutschland and mainly focused on news. But also a great selection of reissues, so I couldnt pass up on some of these classics for the collection. Why isnt there more Bongo Rock played on the dancefloors, goddammit?

Went to New York for a couple of days. Bought records but it wasn't the main focus.

Went a bit nuts on the Gary McFarland front. I love his first album and 'The In Sound', so it was time to beef things up a bit.

20th century composers. I found a classical music focussed shop with a couple of shelves of avant garde. Faced with a ton of CRI and Louisville titles, I picked out these for reasons.

John Antill - Corroboree is a 1949 ballet based on Australian Aborigine ritual music. Some wild bits, and some nice exotica-ish vibes on the way. Legendary recording... and some Ginastera on the flip.
    The CRI titles include two with electronic music from Mario Davidovsky and Otto Luening - ace as I knew they'd be - the Wallingford Riegger piece was also unexpectedly good. I punted on the CRI one with 'Teen Scenes For String Orchestra' along with Louisville discs that offered 'Musique A Go-Go' and 'Abyses, Bridges, Chasms for Ten Rock-Jazz Soloists and Orchestra' but sadly none of them live up to potential of the titles.

In a somewhat slightly strange experience, I also found some avant composer stuff in a pile of records and books being sold on the side of the road by a guy who looked like George Burns in a muu-muu - huge stogie on the go. The Alan Hovhaness one is particularly interesting, as Lousadzak is the first composition where he uses his 'spirit murmur' technique, maybe the first time indeterminacy is used as a structuring principle in 20th century music. (Fascinating, isn't it?)

Cal Tjader - Warm Wave is super mellow and lovely.
    Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet is a bit too easy, though, snoozy.
    Curtis Amy - Tippin' On Through has good moments, but I was hoping for some more piledriving type stuff (I love 'Mustang')
    Yusef Lateef - The Blue Yusef Lateef. Great album! Have found him a bit hit and miss, but this is gorgeous, really atmospheric blues based workouts.

Shawn Phillips - Contribution. Lovely SSW stuff with excellent use of the fringy shirt on the cover.
    White Witch - Spiritual Greeting. Was quite excited to find this, I was expecting sheer madness, but it was a bit boring after one side and I took it off. Will have to return to it another time.
    Ray Barretto - Acid. This looks like Torvill and Dean have been at work on the disc, but it plays fine.
    If - S/T. I don't know how I've managed to steer clear of If all this time, but sounds like jazz-rock-rock-jazz classiness.

Wendy Carlos - Beauty In The Beast. May be Carlos' best, this is all about exploring non-standard tunings, there's layers of unusual slightly dissonant noises that all hang together beautifully.
    Don Ellis - Autumn. Typically madcap odd big band stuff - love the version of 'Indian Lady' on this, which is off the rails in a good way.
    KPM - Soul Organ Showcase. This was possibly the best find, Alan Hawkshaw giving it some.
    And a Chappell disc, with a couple of nice tracks including some light harpsichord jazz from ROn Grainer.

Steve Kuhn - Non-Fiction. ECM disc... I may grow to like this but it has that late 70s soprano saxophone + fretless bass sound from hell off the bat.
    Richard Torrance and Eureka - Belle Of The Ball. I love the first Eureka album so was pleased to grab a copy of this - unfortunately it has a skip at the start of side 1, so upgrades are in order.
    David Amram - Triple Concerto. There may be hope for this symphony + jazz offering, sounds Gershwiny with a bit more rough stuff thrown in at first listen.
    Sigmund Snopek III - Roy Rogers Meets Albert Einstein. This looked magnificently unhinged, but it isn't really delivering, kind of like meandering Zappa-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Went to New York for a couple of days. Bought records but it wasn't the main focus.

Went a bit nuts on the Gary McFarland front. I love his first album and 'The In Sound', so it was time to beef things up a bit.

20th century composers. I found a classical music focussed shop with a couple of shelves of avant garde. Faced with a ton of CRI and Louisville titles, I picked out these for reasons.

John Antill - Corroboree is a 1949 ballet based on Australian Aborigine ritual music. Some wild bits, and some nice exotica-ish vibes on the way. Legendary recording... and some Ginastera on the flip.
    The CRI titles include two with electronic music from Mario Davidovsky and Otto Luening - ace as I knew they'd be - the Wallingford Riegger piece was also unexpectedly good. I punted on the CRI one with 'Teen Scenes For String Orchestra' along with Louisville discs that offered 'Musique A Go-Go' and 'Abyses, Bridges, Chasms for Ten Rock-Jazz Soloists and Orchestra' but sadly none of them live up to potential of the titles.

In a somewhat slightly strange experience, I also found some avant composer stuff in a pile of records and books being sold on the side of the road by a guy who looked like George Burns in a muu-muu - huge stogie on the go. The Alan Hovhaness one is particularly interesting, as Lousadzak is the first composition where he uses his 'spirit murmur' technique, maybe the first time indeterminacy is used as a structuring principle in 20th century music. (Fascinating, isn't it?)

Cal Tjader - Warm Wave is super mellow and lovely.
    Roger Kellaway Cello Quartet is a bit too easy, though, snoozy.
    Curtis Amy - Tippin' On Through has good moments, but I was hoping for some more piledriving type stuff (I love 'Mustang')
    Yusef Lateef - The Blue Yusef Lateef. Great album! Have found him a bit hit and miss, but this is gorgeous, really atmospheric blues based workouts.

Shawn Phillips - Contribution. Lovely SSW stuff with excellent use of the fringy shirt on the cover.
    White Witch - Spiritual Greeting. Was quite excited to find this, I was expecting sheer madness, but it was a bit boring after one side and I took it off. Will have to return to it another time.
    Ray Barretto - Acid. This looks like Torvill and Dean have been at work on the disc, but it plays fine.
    If - S/T. I don't know how I've managed to steer clear of If all this time, but sounds like jazz-rock-rock-jazz classiness.

Wendy Carlos - Beauty In The Beast. May be Carlos' best, this is all about exploring non-standard tunings, there's layers of unusual slightly dissonant noises that all hang together beautifully.
    Don Ellis - Autumn. Typically madcap odd big band stuff - love the version of 'Indian Lady' on this, which is off the rails in a good way.
    KPM - Soul Organ Showcase. This was possibly the best find, Alan Hawkshaw giving it some.
    And a Chappell disc, with a couple of nice tracks including some light harpsichord jazz from ROn Grainer.

Steve Kuhn - Non-Fiction. ECM disc... I may grow to like this but it has that late 70s soprano saxophone + fretless bass sound from hell off the bat.
    Richard Torrance and Eureka - Belle Of The Ball. I love the first Eureka album so was pleased to grab a copy of this - unfortunately it has a skip at the start of side 1, so upgrades are in order.
    David Amram - Triple Concerto. There may be hope for this symphony + jazz offering, sounds Gershwiny with a bit more rough stuff thrown in at first listen.
    Sigmund Snopek III - Roy Rogers Meets Albert Einstein. This looked magnificently unhinged, but it isn't really delivering, kind of like meandering Zappa-lite.
    I follow your finds with great interest. Have you estimated when you are going to run out of room? I've done a bit of maths and, assuming average room sizes, my estimate is next Wednesday.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I follow your finds with great interest. Have you estimated when you are going to run out of room? I've done a bit of maths and, assuming average room sizes, my estimate is next Wednesday.
    I have had to invest in some custom shelving units

various bits/bobs from charity/tip-shops

A great 78 on Homochord

The Tangerine Dreamy sleeve caught my eye but it turns out to be soft Icelandic Folk

East London folkies sole album released in 1967

Cheesey-Electro Bond themes overload

The sleeve was a bit tatty but the vinyl is sweet

In with a large collection of Irish Folk LP's were a few religious oddities,
    it's not everyday I come across albums with sick & dying lying on the cover

The previous owner must have made a few pilgrimages to Lourdes as there were tickets inside the sleeves

Not sure if I will ever get round to listening to it but it was in the box along with...

Winter in America is one of my all time favourite records, great buy!

My wife despises it for some reason, I think its a hauntingly beautiful album.

Quote Originally Posted by Beater Pan View Post
    Among a haul from Groove Attack, an institution amongst record stores within Deutschland and mainly focused on news. But also a great selection of reissues, so I couldnt pass up on some of these classics for the collection. Why isnt there more Bongo Rock played on the dancefloors, goddammit?

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Winter in America is one of my all time favourite records, great buy!

My wife despises it for some reason, I think its a hauntingly beautiful album.
    I agree, great record, however no offence but never really understand why buy a reissue of it when you can buy an original for about the same price ?
    Last edited by reza; 16-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Point taken, no doubt I couldve found a fine copy of the original, but my lazy ass wasnt wanting to wait til I find it in the open wild and a purchase on Discogs wasnt planned right now. Kind of a spur of the moment purchase, but admittedly with these three the sound quality difference is not that great I would assume compared to some stuff not pressed in that quantity or already recorded not so great in the original..

Some great 45's there treeboy!!

Great to see some love for bossy boss and I'm a big fan of the baby boy by the bossmen
    i remember when it was all fields round here....

http://www.mixcloud.com/groovywoovy/

I blame you for Bossy Boss Phil, and many thanks for that. Came up trumps on that, sold as VG therefore cheap, clean as a whistle when it landed. One of the lucky buys I guess.
    I've kind of got a handle on what you like now Phil, and I knew you'd like Baby boy. Apparently it got loads of radio play at the time, don't know if that translated into loads of sales as it isn't the easiest 45 to turn up a decent copy of. Two top tunes.

I blame you for Bossy Boss Phil, and many thanks for that.
    I've kind of got a handle on what you like now Phil, and I knew you'd like Baby boy.
    I think we've all got a handle on what Phil likes now. It needs to be a two word title both words beginning with B.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

And there's the next thread

Initials BB