Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: July Finds 2015

Friday. was buzzed to get the Into Soul 2 for the Sugar Bear Johnson track, realistically there's little chance of a Chocolate Chollys records around these parts..but then again who knows.. Winston Wright is a bit samey.

Saturday. Della Humphrey no introduction needed? The Ballads. Well, 'Butterfl'i is/was on my radar which is a reworking of this slower original '68 version by the same group.

Sunday Three cheap blind punts, all with some merit quirky and sounding better with more plays especially Nasticity.Mastermind is banging flutey disco.

Monday Had time to spare so what better way to spend Monday lunchtime than with fish and chips and browsing through market bric a brac. I even bought some CD's , but they were interesting Bruton (mainly) ones so.....

record licker

Bought a new release for a change: Bremer McCoy 'Ordet' LP.
    Danish (el.) piano - bass combo. Very minimal and mellow. A bit like Jan Johansson meets Ramsey Lewis or Ahmad Jamal w a dubby touch. Very nice for moody rainy days.

Free dl: http://http://raskeplader.dk/shop/br...ordet-download

I'm with you I prefer 'The Sheep' version. I guess 'The Strangeloves' thing makes sense with their whole cross breeding sheep fake bio thing they had going on.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    There's at least a couple of copies of that in my boxes. Incidentally, it's The Strangeloves under a pseudonym. But yes, definitely one for me You've got my number Amidar.
    Do you know the Bunker Hill version? Fantastic as it is, The Sheep does it for me......does that sound wrong

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Monday Had time to spare so what better way to spend Monday lunchtime than with fish and chips and browsing through market bric a brac. I even bought some CD's , but they were interesting Bruton (mainly) ones so.....

Ahhh, Id take that Erykah Badu LP off your hands, if you want rid of it! Great album, not sure if I like that one better than Baduizm. By the way, which issue is this one? Is it the red vinyl one?

Midweek charity shop report.

Conclusion: charity shops are totally gnarly.

The Zamfir/Cellier panpipe/organ album I have had in a Zamfir boxset for years, with no separate cover, nice to pick up a separate. There are some very cool moments on it.

And I'm more than happy to finally pick up a copy of "Hair" by James Last. Elusive thing. I also stumbled upon Humba Humba A Go Go and Op Klompen, which medleyizes Dutch folk tunes. They were harshly priced above my Hansi ceiling, but I think I should share the Op Klompen cover anyway (hard to see, but he is smoking a pipe on there).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    So much can be said, and so little of it needs saying. That perhaps is the mark of a true seer. I bow my head in respect and deeply feel the bittersweet delights and contradictions of the places the maestro takes me.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Who is the serious dude underneath Arthur Brown?

The Zamfir looks very familiar. Must keep half an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    So much can be said, and so little of it needs saying. That perhaps is the mark of a true seer. I bow my head in respect and deeply feel the bittersweet delights and contradictions of the places the maestro takes me.
    I think Hansi does capture an essential Dutchness on Op Klompen, but his best national stereotype lp cover is surely In Scandinavia, where he dresses up as a Swedish man.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Who is the serious dude underneath Arthur Brown?
    The album is 'Showcase Of Hits' and the sleeve notes introduce the artist thus:

Call him 'The Prince Of Wails'; call him the 'Cry Guy Of Song'; call him the 'Million Dollar Tear Drop' - but like him or hate him, you cannot deny the amazing talent of the 'Atomic Ray' - Johnnie Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I think Hansi does capture an essential Dutchness on Op Klompen, but his best national stereotype lp cover is surely In Scandinavia, where he dresses up as a Swedish man.
    I weep for the lost photoshoot opportunity involving Lappish costume and reindeer.

I wouldn't say he's dressed up like a Swedish man, not even at the time this was taken, early to mid-70s?
    I doubt they dressed like that in Norway either. Maybe in Denmark?

This guy is dressed as a Swedish man in the 70s:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    I wouldn't say he's dressed up like a Swedish man, not even at the time this was taken, early to mid-70s?
    [/IMG]

All Swedish men dressed like that at home. At work they wore different styles.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

All Swedish men dressed like that at home. At work they wore different styles.
    Brainbomb doesn't dress like that, he wears cool prog tank tops. Or is that just his work clobber
    record licker

Quote Originally Posted by Beater Pan View Post
    Ahhh, Id take that Erykah Badu LP off your hands, if you want rid of it! Great album, not sure if I like that one better than Baduizm. By the way, which issue is this one? Is it the red vinyl one?
    Aye, 'tis the red one matey,looks very nice too!
    record licker

Back to finds. A few finds at the charity shop today, some not that interesting but this one was.

From 1964 on Polar, the ABBA label. Janne Schaffer played lead guitar in Noisemen, one of his first recordings I believe. A-side is lame teen stuff, but the B-side has an edgier beat.
    Singer Eirik from Norway became a sound engineer and worked on Smile and Ram amongst others.
    You can fold out the cover to a poster:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

My turn for the usual barrel scraping nonsense.

A few charity shop finds I am optimistically filing under 'world' music, Shtourtsite / Щурците

A German train that apparently sings. I wish I could tell you more but GCSE German only gets you so far. Die Grosse Stimmungs Lokomotive:

A Colombian woman wondering where she left her clothes, 14 Cañonazos Bailables Vol. 20:

Almost as Mexican as I am, Tijuana 70 - A Tribute To Herb Alpert:

And now the usual comedy parade, first up Warren Mitchell - Get Me To The Church On Time, with a pair of nobodies called Gielgud and Irons relegated to the b-side:

Because blowing all the money from Wet Wet Wet's revival of his songs on search for aliens wasn't the maddest thing reg Presley ever did, here's Oliver Reed and The Troggs - Wild Thing with Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins:

Lofty from EastEnders tackles Bob Dylan (and wins) Tom Watt - Subterranean Homesick Blues:

More Alf Garnett related vinyl, Warren Mitchell, Anthony Booth, Dandy Nichols and Una Stubbs - Till Death Us Do Part:

Thanks to bennyboy for helping me finally track this little beauty down, it's been a while! Spook, slither and so on , it's the eponymous Roy Jay:

It's not a cassette, it's an album. That may also be the best joke on the entire lp, Roland Rat Superstar - The Cassette Of The Album:

A Peter Sellers ep I have finally tracked down, Peter Sellers - Songs For Swingin' Sellers (No. 1):

After reading the 'Completist' thread I did wonder about the wisdom of this find. It's a demo and has got a different coloured label to the one I already have. So yeah anyway... Arthur Lowe - How I Won The War:

Ken Goodwin - Memories:

Some vintage Ulster comedy, James Young - Young At Heart:

And to finish in the style of all late night radio djs ever, here's one for all you truckers out there. DAF Trucks - A Trucker's Romance:

That be some serious Russian dungaree action going on right there and Ken Goodwin is rocking a serious toupee either that or he is mid werewolf transformation.

^ Well I was just going to comment that he had a lovely head of hair...shame about his shrunken monkeys heid simian eyebrows and NHS teeth. Still most Mancs look a bit like that ...don't they?
    record licker

Ken Goodwin is Ian Brown's dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    And to finish in the style of all late night radio djs ever, here's one for all you truckers out there. DAF Trucks - A Trucker's Romance:

10 4 good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post

A Colombian woman wondering where she left her clothes, 14 Cañonazos Bailables Vol. 20:

/IMG]
    I love this series of comps. That ones got La Colegiala, a massive cumbia hit which I was once surprised to hear being played on a penny falls game at an amusement arcade in whitley Bay.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Is your DAF Trucks the Flexi disc or a proper 45? The mellow disco-ish side on the 45 is a favourite in the Duke's lodge

I love this series of comps. That ones got La Colegiala, a massive cumbia hit which I was once surprised to hear being played on a penny falls game at an amusement arcade in whitley Bay.
    also used in Nescafe ads:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CT61YLKsE
    ("LOVELY SONG, LOVELY LADY, SHIT COFFEE")

Quote Originally Posted by The Dainty Tudor Duke View Post
    Is your DAF Trucks the Flexi disc or a proper 45? The mellow disco-ish side on the 45 is a favourite in the Duke's lodge
    Yes, it's the vinyl, with this being the truck inspired disco b-side in question:

Chazzas this week
    Bobby Bloom "Montego Bay" lp 99p
    b boy track "Fanta"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfY_VqOto0

Janis Ian "Stars" lp 99p
    Guess this is well known here but a new one on me. Track "The man you are in me" is my winner here. Nice femme vox with a sampleable beat and bass guitar bass line. Deep lyrics too. Avaible on a cheap 45 too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuM1tAKTTjE

Brian Jacks "Jogging is good for you" uk 45 20p
    Uk heads who were around in the 70s may remember Brian Jacks from the tv prog Superstars. Think he was originally a judo uk champion before that. Anyway it looks like as a spin off he put out a 45. He sings badly about how jogging is good for you. What makes it a keeper is that it is sung over a reggae beat, and the lyrics. He sings "When i was at shool my friends called me fatty. Then i got a job at work they called me fat slob. Jogging is good for you" Some funky guitar licks appear 3/4 through, been nicer if they came in a bit earlier. Was ungoogleable when i looked.

Babe Ruth "For a few dollars more" uk demo 45 £3.95 ebay
    For anyone that doesn,t know this is part 2 of "The Mexican" an edit released for a 45 version. . Nice price minty demo copy upgrade from my worn copy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLOHUgKSVM0

weekend finds

a nice pile of Bollywood soundtracks with a live double album gem lurking within
    I won all these for £3 at the auction on Sunday, no-one but me was interested in them,
    not to complain but I do wonder why sometimes...

in the same 50p box as the Nirvana 12" below were a load of old Yes
    (I am bound to get a couple of quid off someone for these next time I do a boot)

despite my lack of knowledge or interest in House music I could hardly leave this in a 50p box
    but it's still not my cuppa tea : Lithium House remix

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    but it's still not my cuppa tea : Lithium House remix
    It hasn't exactly got much of the original in it, has it? :-)

She also had a trio - I wonder how many people were in that?

Quote Originally Posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Went to a record shop today to raid the £1 bins. Found a few bits and pieces, nothing spectacular, and then in the last box I had time to raid found this:

Made my day
    She also had a trio - I wonder how many people were in that?