Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaelic Folk

Picked up some more records that will eventually hit this thread when I get the time away from the summer tourists...

Another album by The Lochies, later and only listed on discogs as a tape release... With proper full on Gaelic braeks. Also another album by Willie John Macauley with proto hip hop drums...

And you are right Steven that White Flair LP rather underwhelms...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Which Willie John LP did you pick up? I have two - 'Land of My Boyhood' (which I'm listening to now as you got me intrigued again) and 'My Highland Home' (which isn't very good apart from that one track I put up in the first mix and I love). Not disliking 'Land of My Boyhood' on this listen. I think he has about 5 or 6 LPs on his own label Harmasaig.

I picked up another MacDonald Sisters LP on Lismor which was pretty decent, quite a few tracks I enjoyed which may appear on the next mix. Need to go and think about the tracklisting as I've picked up quite a wee bit since the last one - just keep meaning to order a specific Lochies LP, thought I'd got it in a private deal but got confused and ended up with a sleeveless copy of the one LP of their's which I already own (record collector problems eh?).

Quote Originally Posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Which Willie John LP did you pick up? I have two - 'Land of My Boyhood' (which I'm listening to now as you got me intrigued again) and 'My Highland Home' (which isn't very good apart from that one track I put up in the first mix and I love). Not disliking 'Land of My Boyhood' on this listen. I think he has about 5 or 6 LPs on his own label Harmasaig.

I picked up another MacDonald Sisters LP on Lismor which was pretty decent, quite a few tracks I enjoyed which may appear on the next mix. Need to go and think about the tracklisting as I've picked up quite a wee bit since the last one - just keep meaning to order a specific Lochies LP, thought I'd got it in a private deal but got confused and ended up with a sleeveless copy of the one LP of their's which I already own (record collector problems eh?).
    It is "Land of my boyhood" - listen to "My dearest one" for the drums... but i like a few on here.

https://www.discogs.com/Lochies-Slai...elease/3497143

That's the link to the other one by The Lochies...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

On listening to Land of My Boyhood earlier there was a great drum break in the last song on side one about a minute and a half in, can't mind the name of the track though.

I figured it was Slainte Mhath by the Lochies, remembered it only being listed as a tape on Discogs. Is it decent overall? The Lochies do seem to have a good wheat/chaff ratio, especially given some other Lismor artists.

Put together the next selection over the last few months - been digging deep through chud filled mounds of Beltona, Gaelfonn, Thistle, Lismor and Grampian (and bloody Andy Stewart - it's unreal how many of his singles clog up the charities up here, who was buying this back in the day?) to find the little nuggets. This mix is a bit heavier on more traditional artists (with less traditional tracks) and some pop-tinged folk with suitably high levels of flute and xylophone popping up throughout. The link for the mix is here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/stephen-sma...ic-folk-vol-4/

Tracklist:

Lochies – Oran Chaluim Chamshroin: Another cut from the 'Lewis Folk' LP which is the only one of their's I've managed to track down. Fuz very kindly sent me a CDr of his Galic nuggets and there are some cracking Lochies tracks on their other LPs it seems so if anyone is holding any Lochies heat that they don't want.......
    Calum Kennedy – Faili, Faili, Faili Oro: Calum Kennedy (like Andy Stewart) strides amongst Scottish charity shop bins like a tartan clad colossus wielding his baritone voice over whichever traditional ballad has taken his fancy. While I have a few of his singles none have caught my ear like this very of 'Faili, Faili' which has a lovely backing track and seems to come from earlier sessions he recorded for Beltona
    Na h’Eilthirich – Smeorach Chlann Dhomhnaill: A lovely vocal family group from Skye. It seems that they were well regarded at the time but there is little information online about them. I was fortunate enough to be able to make contact with the family and meet up with a former member who provided me with my copy of the LP (which belonged to one of the group). It is a wonderful LP with harmonised vocals and sparse musicianship supporting. Supposedly there is a single also on Gaelfonn but no-one in the family is aware of it existing so something of a mystery for now
    Na h’Oganaich – Fhir A Bhata: More Na h'Oganaich, this time from their 2nd LP 'Gael Force 3' which has more orchestral backing than their others. Their take on a classic Scottish folk song
    Alasdair Gillies w/Ronald Duncan Strings – Fagail Ghlaschu: Alasdair Gillies, like Calum Kennedy, has a rather extensive discography over many labels and much of what he produced is too old-timey for my tastes. Occasionally however he hits the right notes (I have a cover he made of 'Puppet on a String' which is rather nice) and this track, again with more orchestral backing, is a moody piece relating to a migrant leaving Glasgow for a better life elsewhere
    MacDonald Sisters – Geallach Abuchaidh An Eorna/Dh’ Theidhinn Leat A Dh’ Uibhist/Fail Oro Mar Dh’ Fhag Sinn/Faili Oro/Horo Bhodachan: A selection of MacDonald Sisters tracks now. I found their first LP and wasn't blown away and yet still wanted to find their second (go figure). Well it was worth it, the vocal harmonies work so well and the poppy flair of the backing provides a more modern, but also complimentary, backing to the vocals. The group were referred to as the Gaelic Ronettes which might give you some indication. Of the five tracks here, the first four are from that second LP, only the last track 'Horo Bhoadachan' is from the first
    Sound of Mull – Gur Tu Mo Chruinneag Bhoidheach/Fear A’ Bhreacain Uaine: Some additional Sound of Mull tracks which Fuz's CDr turned me on to after I missed them on my first few listens of their debut LP, lovely stuff here - sounds especially sparse after the MacDonald Sisters
    Innes Gaels – Nighean Donn Nam Meal Shuilean/Suilean Dubh: More traditional singers now, with deep, rich baritone vocals. This LP has the look of one you might pass by but the listing of flute and guitar as instrumentation held my interest and there are a few moments such as these two where it works. There is still a slight whiff of heather and glen coming off the vocals but just enough for me to bear. Another decent LP from the Thistle label which was also home to the Gael Folk and Na Sgoilearen
    Willie John MacAulay – Deireadh Na Voyage/Far Am Bith Mi Fhin: Again a hip to from Fuz after I had discounted this LP (although kept it in the racks at home - couldn't quite let it free into the wild again). Some nice guitar work on the first track and an astounding drum break in the second which was rather unexpected. Neither song comes close to the track I included from another of his LPs on the first mix but are nice in their own way. Might need to see what else lurks on his other LPs as there are a few I don't own yet
    Na h’Eilthirich – Purt-Beul: A second track from the LP discussed earlier, a more traditional track displaying the singing abilities of the group with tricky Gaelic rhyming
    Christine Primrose – Nan Tigeadh Tu Idir: The other track I love from this LP that I hadn't included on the previous mix, with subtle backing from members of Runrig - again this is as close as you'll get to a Wickerman soundtrack without watching the film, it just evokes windswept, isolated communities
    Lochies – Eilean Beag Donn A’ Chuian: And to finish where we started another cut from the Lochies, just because you can't have enough Lochies

Hope the VG+rs who are interested in this type of stuff find something to enjoy. As always please add in any other suggestions or thoughts, I'm continuing to take great enjoyment in delving into this other world for me. In a way this symbolises VG+ for me, not so much the VV classics being discussed in the main thread, but the joy of discovering the often ignored recordings in more fringe genres that get much more exposure on this forum - the knowledge of posters is truly astounding