Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August Finds 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    I'm still pinching myself. The other Welsh bits will be on this years CD swap so keeping my cards close to my chest
    Very glad to hear that, and ooooofffff! Perhaps there should be an end of the year "magical finds" chart - ooooffff!
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    I'm still pinching myself. The other Welsh bits will be on this years CD swap so keeping my cards close to my chest
    I was just going to say that it bodes well for the upcoming VG+ swap! Nicely done... Karma in action.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

great find on the Meic mate !!
    show us ?
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Grail !!

Give us some pron of the record

Congrats BBOB. Payback for all those gems you flag up in the BIN thread. Fate? Karma? I reckon it had your name written all over it. There's something very "right" about that find. Good one.

Will do guys . AND SO BEGINS, THE HOW DO I DOWNLOAD PICTURES BARRAGE OF QUESTIONS
    Rock on Penderyn

Yep well done, bet you were bouncing all day.

Some from this week and the tail end of last:

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior Mance - Junior Not doing it for me, just seems uninspired, will give it a chance though.

Harold Smart - Smart Rhythm Worth a quid for the cover alone but I'm actually quite enjoying the blend of mouldy Hammond tone against cheesy percussion.

The Pentangle - Solomon's Seal Had a good week with charity shops, this was in excellent condition with lyric insert and only a pound.

Various - Some schalager grosse blah... Not listened yet, wish me luck. EDIT: haha its terrible, I find this kind of german popular music quite creepy to be honest don't know why that is, its unnerving like a soundtrack to some grainy vhs video nasty from the early 80's. Redeeming feature is the final instrumental sax driven track 'Kissin Girl' (cover?) which kind of rocks. The album also contains the most regimented Germanic version of 'The Troggs - With a Girl Like You' you ever likely to hear.

Milt Jackson etc - Opus De Jazz I uhm'd and ahh'd over this but glad I took the plunge as its an enjoyable session. Not familiar with vibes alongside flute but it works.

Bud Powell - A Potrait of Monk 1961 trio studio session of Monk covers produced by Cannonball Adderley.

Found MIKEY D: I GET ROUGH/GO FOR IT 12"

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post

Jazz cat, didn't have the heart to move him:

[IMG][/IMG]
    I would trade all the records in this thread for that cat- including Meic Stevens.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Haha, you wouldn't if you knew him, lets just say he has 'behavioural issues'...

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I would trade all the records in this thread for that cat- including Meic Stevens.

Popped into usually rubbish charity shop on me way past, picked up these two. Ken Woodman, VV classic, is great, and looks like it's never been played. Sleeve is, well, nice. Dynamic Batmen is a kitschy cash-in kids lp, but nice latin and cheesy r&b with various sound effects going on.

some recent slightly dubious charity shop pickings

great laid back Jazzy mix of electronica and orchestration with a Sci-Fi twist, shades of Steve Hillage on some tracks

not sure what the hell this is but it is signed and looks like it might be OK but I'm not holding my breath

it was the same with this really, I picked it up on the strength of the hair of the guy on the left

again, I just liked the sleeve oh and it was only 25p

also cheap and probably better than the 2 albums above was this 12" of DJ FX

a pretty faithful cover of The Temptations classic but inna reggae stylee

the guy in the charity shop actually asked me "what the heck do you want this for?"
    I couldn't answer him with a straight face and after listening to it he was probably right

Just checked out that Batman LP on YouTube, sounds ace although how they thought kids would be into it is beyond me, has a 'vampires of dartmoor' like vibe to what I heard.

Nowhere as sophisticated as that, but certainly in the same ball park with the wacky sound effects and that. You can literally hear them losing interest in the concept as side two plays on. S'alright tho.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Found MIKEY D: I GET ROUGH/GO FOR IT 12"
    Nice, I found a copy at the market a few months ago.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    some recent slightly dubious charity shop pickings

the guy in the charity shop actually asked me "what the heck do you want this for?"
    I couldn't answer him with a straight face and after listening to it he was probably right
    Well done for not saying anything about liking a good screw. Sadly it's what I would have done...

Actually got up & went to a boot sale last weekend

[IMG][/IMG]

Humble Pie - Thunderbox. '74, Marriott showing he can out Percy Mr Plant. Shouty hard rock lp only to be played while wearing very tight denim jeans and jackets. Quite like this track though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoo7hEq7FTY

The Aquarius - Hair. Is this the best version of Aquarius? Belter.
    Lee Dorsey - The new Lee Dorsey. Stateside mono, sounds great. Full of Alan Toussaint tunage.
    Special Fun - In concert at Brookfield House School. Has this been flagged up before? Mostly dire live school recording, with the exception of a couple of instrumentals, which transport me right back to junior school music class. Anyone else seen or got this? Not even sure what part of the country it comes from.

A few singles....not boot sale booty

[IMG][/IMG]

TNT - Big Trouble Pt 1&2. Well known I'm sure. Great 2 sider, things get a bit crazy on Pt 2, serious bongo fury.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJzL18XtKA

Terry Tuckers Orange Clockwork - Overture To The Sun Pt 1 & 2. A cheeky make an offer bid landed me this great 45. Pt 2 is superb. Terry Tucker was from Sunforest.
    http://www.somanyrecordssolittletime.com/?p=14524

The Five D - Get out of my life woman / Running 'round in circles. Canadian 45 on Sir John A label. Not the best codition copy. Good version, don't know what Mr Toussaint would have made of it.
    http://citizenfreak.com/titles/27907...und-in-circles

Fart Contest.........Well that's my end of year comp sorted!

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Well done for not saying anything about liking a good screw. Sadly it's what I would have done...
    I would have gone with "I've got a screw loose", but there you go
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    I would have gone with "I've got a screw loose", but there you go
    Rivetting stuff this.
    record licker

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Rivetting stuff this.
    Fasten-ating

Oh Pete! You just eroded the thread.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

few littluns from todays boot fair..

------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Yesterday was one of those winter days in Perth that seems to defy the notion of winter. Sky largely clear. Early-to-mid twenties centigrade. Families in the park. Not too much traffic.

I spent a quarter of an hour watching clouds start to gently configure themselves. Musing fruitlessly on the ineffable. Bryce Rohde – “Came a Ballerina” in the background.

A local seller has had “The Bryce Rohde Story Vol 2” on the shelves on-and-off for a while now. A copy appeared on Ebay. In the light of that I broached the question of purchase with the local guy. I got a vague response and decided to make a cheeky offer on Ebay. In retrospect I suspect that there was room for more cheek. So, I bought it almost by mistake. Whatever. It arrived in the post last week. Ex+/ex+ (a bit better than advertised).

“Came a Ballerina” is the stand out. I think there are slight traces of “Kind of Blue” there. But for the most part I was untroubled by ‘spot the influence’ – it did its job as cloud-watching music, and excelled at it. See it on Youtube.

Strong contender for end-of-year swap disc.

“Opus 4/56” is also worth a listen.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 17-08-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Now with added Youtube

found a 12 of some uk dub reggae, can only find pics of the 7 online which has a different b side, anyone know anything about this band or record

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    found a 12 of some uk dub reggae, can only find pics of the 7 online which has a different b side, anyone know anything about this band or record

http://www.roots-archives.com/forum/...hp?f=2&t=87895
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Big box of old 7's in the charity shop today albeit mainly classical or Sydney Thompson foxtrot eps anyway took a few punts and mainly missed:

http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Johnso...elease/4560107 - Well known here I would wager, worth 50p for the spoken word and the tune aint half bad.

http://www.discogs.com/Rhet-Stoller-...elease/4930484 Same guy who did the Adam Best - Wall of Sound album. Here he is doing some cod Cypriot music to promote a brand of sherry. 4 tracks in all non are much cop.

http://www.discogs.com/Hogia-Llandeg...elease/2699185 The guitars on the cover drew me in but this is pretty dire country with added 'one man and his dog' sound effects. Its scratched to hell too, bah.

http://www.discogs.com/Alti-Glaibasl...elease/2765048 Interesting cover and if I didn't have toothache and was thinking straight I'd have probably realised this was swiss marching band music. Still I will find a use for this on an end of year mix to negate the 50p shaped hole in my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Yesterday was one of those winter days in Perth that seems to defy the notion of winter. Sky largely clear. Early-to-mid twenties centigrade. Families in the park. Not too much traffic.

I spent a quarter of an hour watching clouds start to gently configure themselves. Musing fruitlessly on the ineffable. Bryce Rohde – “Came a Ballerina” in the background.

A local seller has had “The Bryce Rohde Story Vol 2” on the shelves on-and-off for a while now. A copy appeared on Ebay. In the light of that I broached the question of purchase with the local guy. I got a vague response and decided to make a cheeky offer on Ebay. In retrospect I suspect that there was room for more cheek. So, I bought it almost by mistake. Whatever. It arrived in the post last week. Ex+/ex+ (a bit better than advertised).

“Came a Ballerina” is the stand out. I think there are slight traces of “Kind of Blue” there. But for the most part I was untroubled by ‘spot the influence’ – it did its job as cloud-watching music, and excelled at it. See it on Youtube.

Strong contender for end-of-year swap disc.

“Opus 4/56” is also worth a listen.
    Lovely post; lovely record.

thnx thats prob why I found it in Luton last Friday ! tried his email , doesn't work

some lovely records found their way into my grubby hands yesterday, most were 50p - £1

nice 2 x vinyl, never seen it before - it was in the same box as Mansun below

I was chuffed to find this, I have the CD but to find it on vinyl (for 50p) made my day!

DiV 12"

original 12" issue with a great 15 minute version of Deeper on the flip

double album comp of two earlier BB albums

I knew nothing about this LP I just liked the sleeve, it sounds really lush and downtempo

I like the tune so remixes could be good

God, I remember listening to this on my cassette Walkman decades ago

I have another BBC Young Folk LP to this which is pretty good so fingers x this is too