Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: August Finds 2015

Default August Finds 2015

Or, in my case, August's Gloop.

I'll start it off this month then (While sadly under-performing at 'Only Connect'. Even though it's clearly easier now that it's on BBC2, I'm still quite abysmal at it.)

Been so busy at work lately that I've hardly been online, never mind this forum and my vinyl hunting has been similarly curtailed. I'm not sure I like being a grown up with responsibilities and stuff!

So, I'd initially intended on a comprehensive 'capturing' of my recent finds, but have decided to spare you and just put in the 'highlights' (I've picked up a fair few VV / VG+ classics to go in the next round of freebies, but who needs to see Amazonas, Brazilian or Well Kept Secret again?).

I attempted a CSC recently, but it went so badly in terms of finds and my own existential crisis (at being back in my home town on the day the last pit closed) that it would have just come across as a bleak odyssey, a sort of 'Heart of Darkness' with loads of swearing and too little vinyl. Anyway, I got the above on a stall on a flea-market in Retford (North Notts). I'll probably hang on to Crucial as, I'll be honest, there's very little music that has that Proustian effect on my as these early electro LPs. Takes me right back to my childhood, think I'd have been 11. Some of it's cheesy now, but a lot of it still sounds like a window into a dystopian future, Cybotron in particular hasn't aged a bit.

Found the above in a branch of BHF who, I don't know if this is a national policy, have suddenly started carrying vinyl again. Seems like they're being a bit optimistic on pricing as every branch I've been in seems to have set £2.99 as the baseline on almost everything. This was £1.99 if I remember rightly. As you can see, it's a bunch of library sessioners doing some pretty straight jazz. It's not bad, bit pedestrian for me (as you might guess from the standards being covered). Always good to stumble on summat you've never seen before though.

50p chazza finds. The Beach Boys LPs looked fine in the shop, but sounded like a cement mixer when I landed the needle. Shame. Never seen the instrumentals LP before and it's not really the kind of thing I'd pick up, but you read the credits and see some Brian Bennett action and this track by some chancers called Thunder Company 'Ridin' On The Gravy Train'. I've been coming on this forum for how many years? And I've never heard of this track, which I'm guessing is common knowledge to the rest of you? I can only apologise for my ineptitude. If there's anyone as naïve as me out there, get a cheap copy of this LP as the 7" is apparently harder to come by.

More charity shop finds. I doubt I need to introduce the top pair. The bottom one is one of those VV / VG+ classics that you pay for without making eye contact with the assistant as there's a degree of residual embarrassment, then you get home and find that it's a right banger. Dance Band of the Black Watch, if you're interested. I'm sure the North of the Border contingent are already all over this, but there's some firing versions of 70s rock / pop tunes, breaks and grooves and all sorts. One of the best quids I've spent this year (and I've spent a few).

Most of these were from a quick post-work raid on Rob's Records. Think 'Wood Beez' was the final piece of my Scritti jigsaw. I'm unnaturally proud of myself for resisting getting a copy off eBay (I was admittedly tempted by the quick fix), despite a long standing frustration at not turning one up in the wild. Random Amphonic library, with Vic Flick doing his guitar 'thang' to pay tribute to various eras and players. Good 'Shaft' tye wah-wah tune and some other decent grooves, but probably one better suited to a library collector than me. The Paul Mille one promises much, but is really a one-tracker (though the track 'Return To Amazony' is bloody good). And a spare cheap 'Metronomie' off ebay.fr, which needs a clean but looks like it will do very nicely.

Anyone within fleeing distance of Nottingham will be pleased to know that Anarchy Records has opened up again, a couple of doors up from where it used to be. Jill will be in there Monday to Saturday 11.00 - 18.00. Same random and varied stock as before (loads of vinyl, loads of ephemera), almost all at bargain prices always worth going in for a browse. Some VV/VG+ fodder here - Morgan label sampler with The Excursion 'Yuggy Buggy' being the stand-out for me. The most VG+ friendly Buffy LP? Some very parpmongous Fabs covers, not without its charms. And a spare of the Amazing Dancing Band, again, very representative of this forum.

Black Funk was picked up to rehome round here, I figure that someone's bound to want some reggae action. FNM are one of my long-time fave bands, decided I needed the live album to blast out (I've had the CD ages of course), their new album is the bollocks, if anyone's wondering! First Natural Hair Band was bizarrely cheap off eBay.ca, I was the sole bidder, which made me suspicious, but it's flawless condition - happy days. Oh and the EWF was picked up in a chazza to give as a freebie. This was a nostalgia purchase as it was one of my very first funk albums when I started collecting. One of the seeds sown many, many years ago that set me off on this path. Always makes me smile to see it in the racks. And it's a great album.

The question now is, how much attention can I continue to displace onto record collecting now that the football season is upon us? Hmmmmmm........*

*Not that United have a cat's chance in hell of winning owt!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Had a feeling someone would create an August thread at the same time. As Bens is such a huge post maybe one of the mods could merge mine into this one.

Good stuff as ever Ben. There's two worthy black watch LPs out there by the way - I think the one you found has the instrumental version of 'meet up here' the Tartan beer advert flexi tune - and it has a nice break in it I seem to remember.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

As I'm sure you know, that UK electro is great, essentially a Greg Wilson solo lp. Style of The Streets and the Music tracks make it a keeper, has stood the test of time. And Crucial Electro is crucial. Mastermind on the mix, gibber.

Nice find on the Galt. Still don't have any if his stuff, except the common Hairs..

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    As I'm sure you know, that UK electro is great, essentially a Greg Wilson solo lp. Style of The Streets and the Music tracks make it a keeper, has stood the test of time. And Crucial Electro is crucial. Mastermind on the mix, gibber.
    You think? I didn't reckon much to it if I'm honest and it currently resides in the 'free to a good home' pile. Our wildly differing tastes are what keeps such forums interesting and informative after all.

'Crucial' really is the business though. So many memories.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Ha ha, coincidentally I've spent the last few weeks blasting Style Of The Streets out the windows of my Berlingo as I cruise the mean streets of Brighton. #urban.

That Syncbeat track is fucking GREAT.

Some recent carboot/charity shop finds. I will only comment on what's interesting.

£4 for this lot altogether at carboot sale. Gudibrallan and Butterfly are skated copies though, and the single is not included in Gudibrallan.
    Still, it plays OK-ish, and worth it for T-doja

M.A Numminen is a Finnish excentric singer singing in Swedish

A lot from a charity shop where I usually find nothing, but arrived as they were putting out a few records. I was even allowed to browse through a few that were about to go out. £4 again.
    Savage Rose is Danish prog from 1972, mainly instrumental. It has some really good moments but also some terribly lame ones.
    Troggs in very clean VG+ was an upgrade from my old noisy mono copy with a rip in the sleeve. It's not consistent, but has killer tracks in I Just Sing and From Home.
    Vacum is mid-eighties post punk of the worst kind, there's a missed-the-train-with-a-few-years feeling over this one.

And then one of these peculiar solitary charity shop finds.
    Czerwone Gitary is Polish beat from 1966. In really good condition, which is amazing given the packaging. Inner sleeve is slightly oversized plastic bag and outer sleeve is undersized in flimsy paper. Hopeless taking in and out so I guess this one has mostly stayed in the sleeve.
    A fair bit of the songs are very much Beatles-derived. Overall OK, but I haven't heard that killer track I was hoping for.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Might as well move these across from the duplicate thread and add some more:

[IMG][/IMG]

John Martyn - Sunday's Child US release with 70's video nasty font of this his penultimate good album before he did that bitter breakup record alongside Phil Collins and it all went down hill.

Quincy Jones - Go West, Man! Jasmine reissue of his second album from 1957 with a few Jimmy Giuffre composed toons which perked my interest. Typical Big Band stuff but pretty cool.

Antonio Jobim - A Certain Jobim Minty first stereo press.

Tal Farlow - The Return of/1969 Fiddly guitar jazz, he can certainly play.

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood Some great riffs on this release.

Elmore James - The Resurrection of... French comp.

Some charity chuff:

[IMG][/IMG]

The Jay Norman Quintet - Somebody Loves Me Thought the presence of vibes might give this an exotic feel but its pretty standard Muzak fare. That cat looks mightily pissed off.

John Williams - Guitar Recital Never come across this double before.

Shirley Bassey - Bassey Spectacular Mint double lp and for 50p I thought why not although probably too early in her career to hold anything of interest although I'm happy to be wrong.

Johnny Pearson - Touch Me in the Morning Pretty slushy all round really but saved by his version of 'St Louis Blues' which is bearable and a laid back version of '2001' which I'm sure is well known but new to me. Oh and production is lush, very impressive.

Chris Waxman - Organized I believe Mr Waxman is really Klaus Wunderlich in disguise which is probably why I haven't listened yet.

Jazz cat, didn't have the heart to move him:

[IMG][/IMG]

Modern Jazz Quartet - At Music Inn Vol 2 Not as good as volume 1 but pretty solid throughout. Japanese press from 1972.

Don Ellis Orchestra - Electric Bath One of those albums you'll either love or hate I'm in the latter camp.

Duke Ellington - Afro Bossa One of the more interesting Ellington albums.

Modern Jazz Quartet - Concert Phillips reissue, not much info although think its a repackage of the 'collaboration' album.

Baden Powell ‎– Tristeza On Guitar Brazillian goodness.

Bert Jansch ‎– Early Bert Volume 4

Mark Murphy ‎– That's How I Love The Blues Seems to be an early stereo press in a mono cover with a stereo sticker.

Just popped out to post a couple of records, strayed into ye olde junk shop on the way back, found they were selling off a jazz collection. Put out on Saturday, couple of people had been through it earlier in the week, but still a bunch of nice stuff at flat rate "blowout" prices. Mark Murphy again!

Nice haul Sonovox makes you wonder what had already been grabbed. The Ornette and Kirk are the pick of the bunch for me and the Stan Getz is a stunning album.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Nice haul Sonovox makes you wonder what had already been grabbed. The Ornette and Kirk are the pick of the bunch for me and the Stan Getz is a stunning album.
    Yes, a good haul, I don't think anyone had taken huge amounts out of it before I got there. There again, I was told it was "really clean, owned by a guy that used to work at the BBC who played them a couple of times to review then filed them" - yeah, except for the cutouts, label tears, and shop and library property stamps on many of them! To be fair the vinyl all seems to be in good nick.

Pleased with the ones you mention, also the Hub which I have nearly pulled the trigger on a couple of times before. Also the Chaloff, having picked up "Fable Of Mabel" a couple of weeks ago and really enjoying it. Also, all of the others

The Garbarek album has Bill Frisell on it, which works extremely well, they do have very complimentary echoey tones.

Am guessing the Garbarek is an ECM release? The Duke Ellington perked my interest as it looked quite late so I googled it and turns out he died 6 months after the concert but interestingly Princess Margaret and 'in the news' Ted Heath were in attendance at the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Yes, a good haul, I don't think anyone had taken huge amounts out of it before I got there. There again, I was told it was "really clean, owned by a guy that used to work at the BBC who played them a couple of times to review then filed them" - yeah, except for the cutouts, label tears, and shop and library property stamps on many of them! To be fair the vinyl all seems to be in good nick.

Pleased with the ones you mention, also the Hub which I have nearly pulled the trigger on a couple of times before. Also the Chaloff, having picked up "Fable Of Mabel" a couple of weeks ago and really enjoying it. Also, all of the others

The Garbarek album has Bill Frisell on it, which works extremely well, they do have very complimentary echoey tones.

Am guessing the Garbarek is an ECM release?
    Yes, think they pretty much always are. From 1983.

I picked up the Duke Ellington Afro Bossa lp recently. It's a corker. What led me to it was Jim Jones Revue used to have Moonbow as their "walk on music" when they played live

Loving it, this is the track that's doing it for me:

They had his 'Drum is a Woman' album in as well which I should have picked up. He did some good albums in his later period, still looking for a copy of 'The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse' on my travels.
    Last edited by amidar; 06-08-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: video

The Duke Ellington perked my interest as it looked quite late so I googled it and turns out he died 6 months after the concert but interestingly Princess Margaret and 'in the news' Ted Heath were in attendance at the gig.
    Great and very moving but also very forgotten record - I put the 'My Love' track sung by Alice Babs on my 2013 Xmas swap CD.
    Boy George knew my father

Quote Originally Posted by ninja simone View Post
    Great and very moving but also very forgotten record - I put the 'My Love' track sung by Alice Babs on my 2013 Xmas swap CD.
    Yes, thanks, I picked it up because I knew you rated it... I've been in the lookout for any of the Sacred Concerts.

I also got hold of a copy of "Black Brown and Beige" with Mahalia Jackson last week, as well as Ellington's Nutcracker Suite a couple of weeks ago - happy days.

Lucked out in the charity shop, couldn't get out of there fast enough. Mostly late 70's early 80's but pretty chuffed to even find one library record in a chazza these days:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was giving it a listen on youtube yesterday, sounded intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja simone View Post

Oohhh - charity shop libraries - lovely!

Two nice Studio G's there in 'Images' and ' Action Disco'. That 'Professionals' is good for it's vintage too - a few years earlier and it would have been a killer!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Yeah exactly my thoughts re: 'the professionals'. Action Disco was first on the deck, some cool synth driven funkers with a bit of glam rock in places and a weird phased keyboard thing called 'oriental workload' on side 2 tops it off!

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post

Two nice Studio G's there in 'Images' and ' Action Disco'. That 'Professionals' is good for it's vintage too - a few years earlier and it would have been a killer!

Nature's World also v good. Nice haul!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post

WURD!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

A few bits picked up recently.

This is fun. Isuue #1 too!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

A few 45s

[IMG][/IMG]

Starry Eyed & Laughing- previously unreleased tracks given an airing on Shagrat. Byrds fans need to cop an earful of this. Superb cover of Gene Clarks Echoes on the flip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf37dxO1urE

The Seeds......Its The Seeds, that's enough for me.
    20p Jeff Beck Group 45 with Morning Dew on it.
    JD Blackfoot- Epitaph for a head. Picked up another copy as my old one plays with annoying noise, although it looks clean as a whistle. Very psychedelic 45. If you like this kind of stuff you'll know it already of course.
    Wayne Faro's Schmaltz Band - There's still time. Didn't know this had a London release. Glad it did as the Deram one seems to be up there with the rocking horse s**t. Mindblowing 45.
    Sammy Soul Set - Spring is in town now is a Hammond driven cool little tune.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Blue Things - La Do Da Da. Beaty garage cover of the Dale Hawkins tune from '65.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14xCQ9op0w

The Ferguson Tractor - 12 o'clock high. Wah wah, fuzz, cool drums.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMIScpVBB8

Legay- new unreleased tracks rescued from oblivion by Circle Records. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee2zgxYhKAo

The Ugly Ducklings - Just in case you wonder Top drawer Canadian Fuzzbuster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTQWIxIpk8 Very cool b side too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJT8i-6G8I. I have the Underground stereo release, but the York Town og pisses all over it.

Bigguns

[IMG][/IMG]

Breakthru - Adventures Highway. Brummie band that somehow slipped through the net leaving one mediochre 45 behind. This Circle Records release put the "record" straight. Rocking out up there with The Move. Shame this didn't get the full treatment at the time as there is some fine stuff on it.The title tune starts out like a cross between The Small Faces & CWOAB.Then it's all their own sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ZscYH9v2Y

Dry Ice - Crystal Meth Dreams. Another band that never made it onto vinyl. Shame.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBi4ziM0xA

Enoch Light - Spaced Out. Well documented on here.

The Hollies - Evolution. Stereo copy with the blurb on the label which makes it the rare one. Got it cheap without realising. Well crafted, under-rated lp.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8YwgAqGOk

[IMG][/IMG]

Duke Ellington Afro Bossa. Top lp.

Terry Knight & The Pack - Reflections. Patchy lp. Funny, Fudged up version of Satisfaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=2CcZeD3ByrQ

Fritz Muller Rock. I picked one up after the tip on here somewhere. My kind of Marmite lp.

Reggie King is another one unearthed by Circle. Most of Mighty Baby are on this, so the playing is what you would expect from those guys.

Thee Hypnotics - Soul traders 12" ep. A young James Jones centre front.

The Thrillers - From the big box set TV Music Spectacular. #4 has the Harry Rabinowitz version of Quiller, with a bit more squelch for your money. Sounds great loud on my turntable, sounds shit in this clip though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyd4MZh2tQc

Thumbs up

Nice finds there Paul mate....Hope your saving for Utrecht, speaking of Utrecht, I got a copy of - 'The Ferguson Tractor - 12 o'clock high' there, I love it!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Cheers Craig. Trying to put a bit aside, but the strong pound isn't helping. A good time to be picking up a few bits from Europe and the US too. See how much I've put by nearer the time.

Ferguson Tractor is a bit of a mystery 45. Can't find out much more about it other than it's a great single.

On my way back from the Eisteddfod I stopped off in Bala

Amidst the Welsh Bits in a lovely antiques shop was non other than

GWYMON by MEIC STEVENS

Its a long time want.(A grail to be honest) The Vinyl is Spotless and it cost me less than a price of a pint

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Rock on Penderyn

Nice one Boi!

Quote Originally Posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Nice one Boi!
    I'm still pinching myself. The other Welsh bits will be on this years CD swap so keeping my cards close to my chest
    Rock on Penderyn