Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September Finds 2015

I do like a monorail but blimey doesn't that cable car look unsafe!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    EXACTLY what my wife said when she saw that sleeve!

If it's the one at the Filey camp that ran over the chalets and down to the beach, I can personally assure you it was terrifying, especially the massive bump when you went over the support towers - it's no wonder I never developed a head for heights!

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

That looks terrifying, if only for the colour of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    If it's the one at the Filey camp that ran over the chalets and down to the beach, I can personally assure you it was terrifying, especially the massive bump when you went over the support towers - it's no wonder I never developed a head for heights!

Don't remember the monorail but that chair lift used to take you down to the beach. The Mad Mouse roller coaster , now that was a rickety bumpy ride... and The Beachcomber bar was another favourite haunt...in training as a lounge lizard.

record licker

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    That looks terrifying, if only for the colour of everything.
    ...haha, know what you mean....although that carpet in the Beachcomber Bar is priceless...It seems such a long time ago now that my memories have worn a bit thin...but the feeling of that 'bump' on the chair lift will stay with me forever I fear...........the terrifying heights.....the kodakcolor....the sheer horror....now, you too can relive it all!

...although they've edited out the 'bumps' I notice......

Can't do fairground rides. When I was four, mum took me, my sister and a couple of other kids on the Waltzer for the first time. As soon as it started, I'd had enough, and not being one to grizzle or even scream in terror, I hopped off the seat, ducked under the bar, and was heading for the exit when my mum caught hold of the collar on my coat and held on to me, (standing up, the wrong side of the big handle thing you are supposed to hold on to!). Apparently I struggled all the way through the ride to break free, but my mum's a mountain girl with a grip of steel. Sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. That chair lift doesn't look too bad really. The girl seems to be enjoying herself.

She's enjoying the view - steam train behind some fencing, carpark, warehouse, supermarket, shed. Breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Can't do fairground rides. When I was four, mum took me, my sister and a couple of other kids on the Waltzer for the first time. As soon as it started, I'd had enough, and not being one to grizzle or even scream in terror, I hopped off the seat, ducked under the bar, and was heading for the exit when my mum caught hold of the collar on my coat and held on to me, (standing up, the wrong side of the big handle thing you are supposed to hold on to!). Apparently I struggled all the way through the ride to break free, but my mum's a mountain girl with a grip of steel. Sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. That chair lift doesn't look too bad really. The girl seems to be enjoying herself.
    I had the pleasure of riding Dave Taylor´s Waltzer at the Cartmel Races last week. It was brilliant, scream-out-loud fun, and the music was ace. Best bit was the cool, blank-faced young lads running the ride, skipping on and off the bucking boards backwards and occasionally leaping horizontally right onto the cars to give full momentum. Not a hi-vis tabard in sight, either. If I had a daughter I´d completely understand if she got knocked up and abandoned by one of these young princes.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

It'll be black armbands all around the day we see hi-vis tabards at the fairground. "Can't go on the Wall Of Death without a hi-vis matey......rules is rules"
    Went on the slides at The Hayward on Sunday, not too bad, I could cope with them. When they had them in the Turbine Hall at The Tate, I went down the highest one and thought I was having a coronary! It's the loss of control that gets me.
    This one was ok

This one wasn't

Should have taken some sort of recorder to the tate. The blood curdling screams were something to hear.

Sorry.....did we get a bit diverted there?

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Sorry.....did we get a bit diverted there?
    Ahem yes, I suppose so....let's get back to some important finds....Exotica!.....including 'that' carpet!

I´m not sure which is scarier. The cocktail with apple garnish at 45 seconds or the Tiki idol emitting a visible curse from its eye at 2:10
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Ah, loved Butlin's when I was a kid, you couldn't get me and my brother away from that boating lake....

Agua Viva - 'Poetas Andaluces'/ 'Cantare' - Haven't quite worked out the background to this one - the A side appears to be a poem by Rafael Alberti set to some pleasant music, but I was hooked by the more adventurous and melodic B side, Manolo Diaz's 'Cantare'...

That's the 1st song of my coming Xmas Swap cds

When I was in Spain this summer I picked up a couple more of their singles. Aguaviva was a band that I didn't know much about but the more I listen to them the better they sound.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

There was a similar one on the pleasure beach in Blackpool which I believe opened in 1960 and got shut down in the late nineties. Completely open rickety metal cab swinging in the wind, riveted together and patched over time with an 80 foot drop onto solid concrete. I never braved it myself and surprised it stayed open for so long. For some reason whenever someone mentions cables cars it makes me think of Columbo, Roddy McDowell and exploding cigars.

So today I went to a second hand bookseller's who has a vast warehouse under a block of flats in Wandsworth. There are rooms piled with books which are in some sort of order but threaten to collapse on to you. Its a real Aladdin's cave.
    I was there ostensibly to find some art history books. But when I'd finished my 'work' I thought I'd look at some records. There's a room with records which I guess would have at one time been where they all went. Nowadays there are piles of records under things, on top of things, behind things.
    Most of them are the kind of big band, classical and pop that you used to see all the time in charity shops but I don't anymore.
    While I was getting my hands dirty the owner played some of his own records. He played a Keith Jarrett record, some Frank and then some Art Blakey!
    I was starting to lose heart when I saw this:

Music Malawi - great hand printed and hand pasted sleeve - although its on upside down! I had no idea what this would be like but the words kwela on the linear notes made this one a clincher for me. Its related to an aide project in Malawi and there's some uplifting speeches on it but also some lovely live recordings including the aforementioned kwela. Yum

Next there was a small pile of 45s - and I liberated these

But all in all its was a lot of digging for not much return. My heart was heavy and my hands were dirty.

Then I went into another huge room with books stacked dangerously to the ceiling
    More records
    And look what I found!

Art Blakey - Les Liaison Dangereuses - very pleased to find this in terrific condition. France 1972 issue. With the standout track No Hay Problema

Then I came across this

Blossom Dearie - 1975 From the Meticulous the Sublime
    There is always something on a Blossom Dearie record

Then its jaw dropping time!

Graham Bond - Holy Magick
    Vertigo Swirl, 1st issue, with swirl inner sleeve!!! Ok so the cover has a sticker rip on the front so its not a EX/EX experience all round - but still!!!!!!

And then in the last box I looked at, at the bottom of bookcase with precarious stacks of books, full of Christian 45s I find this:

One of those digging moments that you dream about but don't believe will ever happen!

Michael Garrick Quintet with Joe Harriott and Shake Keane - Anthem

I've often had a vain hope that I'd unearth a UK jazz classic 45. I though I'd done well with Garrick's Before Night/Day in Waterstones for £15 but this was something else. My heart was racing but my mind was completely clear. If I had to do some serious negotiating I was ready. You can't find a record like this in dusty box and then leave it behind - even if you have to pay the going rate!

So when I asked the cheerful owner how much he wanted for the records and he said he'd take £25 for the lot I struggled to stop jumping up and down and shouting for joy. I do have a pang of guilty - but I can live with that

I can now stop buying records for the rest of the year as it won't get any better than this!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Great digging and great finds! That Garrick EP looks nice... I suspect you won't be giving up for the year!

Absolutely love that Garrick 45. Wedding Hymn is magical

Sounds like the bookshop "at the end of the world!" Think I drove past it once, but couldn't stop.

There was a similar one on the pleasure beach in Blackpool which I believe opened in 1960 and got shut down in the late nineties. Completely open rickety metal cab swinging in the wind, riveted together and patched over time with an 80 foot drop onto solid concrete. I never braved it myself and surprised it stayed open for so long. For some reason whenever someone mentions cables cars it makes me think of Columbo, Roddy McDowell and exploding cigars.
    Yes, sadly all gone now, lost to a world of changing holiday tastes and an obsession with health and safety....although at least one got a happy retirement it seems....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
    That's the 1st song of my coming Xmas Swap cds

When I was in Spain this summer I picked up a couple more of their singles. Aguaviva was a band that I didn't know much about but the more I listen to them the better they sound.
    Ah yes, we were supposed to be talking about records weren't we?

Good call Carlitos, it occurred to me that the Aqua Viva number has potential as an opener for DJing too! I'll certainly be looking out for more - any recommendations?...By the way, I was only joking about punishing the Spanish seller - he's a great guy and when he heard I'd received the wrong Las Grecas 45, he immediately put the right one in the post - poor fellow can't be making any money - I'll have to buy more I guess, and I do like that 'Gypsy Rock' thing - I did get round to reading the 'Las Grecas' story and rather sad it is too - poor Tina, eh?....

So...finds....records....holidays....Spain......a-ha!... From my recent trip to Macclesfield....

Various - 'Vacaciones En La Costa Brava' - Of course, for many Butlins holidaymakers (me included), the chairlift was the closest they'd ever been to flying, but as 'Holiday On The Buses' became 'Carry On Abroad', Britons saved up their pennies and jetted to Spain, looking for sun and fun(dador) - these albums often returned with them - the content is usually predictably safe inoffensive europop, but there's the occasional nugget too - for me these albums served as an introduction to Los Canarios, Los Brincos, Los Mustang and other Spanish pop worthy of investigation. Nothing much to commend this one, even if it is on Belter - Los 3 Sudamericanos, perrenial favorites of mine, come up with a version of Michel Delpech's 'Pour Un Flirt' that's better than the original and Rudy Ventura flirts mildly with the funk on 'El Borriquito' but the donkey never really gets fonkey....

Pink Floyd - 'DSOTM' - a sleeveless wonder that just might be an upgrade from the one I have...

'Introducing The Eleventh House Featuring Larry Coryell' - It was a nice day and I was feeling adventurous, so chanced this jazzfunktastical odyssey - it's precisely what you'd expect, Larry and the boys getting into some decent grooves, never playing a note where a coupla thousand might easily do, 'excelling in their musicianship', etc...some good work from Alphonse Mouzon (who looks a really cool dude on the sleeve) on percussion and some interesting ideas for spicing up your parpage from Randy Brecker (Mr Ferguson take note....) but although 'Low-Lee-Tah', 'Adam Smasher' and 'Theme For A Dream' are all listenable, there's a bit of an overwhelming and slightly sinister 'progness' to the whole proceedings that doesn't allow the ear to relax quite enough.....

The Shadows - 'Rarities' - Oddly it's only quite recently I've started digging the Shads, but this is not quite as momentous as I'd anticipated - the opening tracks on each side 'Goodnight Dick' and 'Scotch On The Socks' seem knackered beyond repair, a shame as they're two of the 'beatier' offerings - still, for next to nothing I've got three 'Thunderbirds' related tunes, a decent 'Slaughter On 10th Avenue' and the heavily Richard Hewson dabbed 'Boogatoo' which has sprung my 'TV Theme - but to what?' alarm - Lord Thames!!!!!.....(also scored a mint 'Cliff Richard 40 Golden Greats' - now I reckon I've got all the Cliff I'll ever need so if you see me buying any more, remind me.....)

More Macc goodies to follow...

*EDIT* - Good work Expiry - who dares wins!

Well done Exp mate! Stuff of Jazzers dreams!

Nice one on the Garrick 45 Matt , I parted with my copy last year , 80 quid

Great pics of Butlins , I worked at the Minehead one when I was a nipper , that beachcomber bar I'm sure started my love of exotica , timed tropical storms on the hour ! want dated pics ..?

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    want dated pics ..?
    Hell, yeah!....

I'm so moved by the nostalging, I've just been on the bay and come back with this....

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I´m not sure which is scarier. The cocktail with apple garnish at 45 seconds or the Tiki idol emitting a visible curse from its eye at 2:10
    I went to Jimmy Buffett's chain restaurant - Cheeseburger In Paradise - and the garnish in the key lime pie martinis was wearing sunglasses. I am not kidding. I felt an obscure sense of closure, like I never needed to drink another cocktail in my life.

Good call Carlitos, it occurred to me that the Aqua Viva number has potential as an opener for DJing too! I'll certainly be looking out for more - any recommendations?
    The idea of Aguaviva was to use different Spanish's poet's poems and add them their own music. I love the poems used but that's a big part of their appeal, I am not sure how they sound to non-Spanish speakers. The song "Cantaré" probably is the easiest one because there is not much text and the music has so many changes. I got these other singles in Madrid but I feel they are not to the standard of "Cantaré" as DJ songs go, but the poems chosen are great.

¡A tope con la vida!

I do like that 'Gypsy Rock' thing - I did get round to reading the 'Las Grecas' story and rather sad it is too - poor Tina, eh?....
    There´s a couple of never-issued flamenco performances by Tina on Youtube, recorded after her diagnosis and the stabbing incident. Heart-breaking stuff, especially alongside the shimmering Saray which she dedicated to her daughter on their last lp.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Glad I forced myself to the gym this morning.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sonny Bono - Inner views. Strange solo outing from '66 with a couple of odd tracks, namely the 12 min I just sit there, and Pammies on a bummer!
    Axis- Waiting a long time / Turning myself 'nto energy. Heavy Greek proggy stuff with Canterbury touches
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGviHTc459Q

Les Sauterelles - Heavenly Club / Dream Machine. Short, sharp Swiss fuzz popper on the flip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeysECmEGEw

[IMG][/IMG]

The Merry-Go-Round - Time will show the wiser / Live. Brilliant pop/psych top side. The og and best version

Nirvana - Oh! What a performance / Darling Darlene. Gary Wright from Spooky Tooth was drafted in to play piano on this great 45 which starts off as a jolly, piano led romp, and takes a nice sideways turn down fuzz-fuelled alley to make your ears fizz.

Patsy Gallant - Raconte / Parapluie. Great version of Rock On. The other side is good too with spacey sounding guitar.

The Bats - Highway sweet home / the time goes by. '72 groover from Belgium I think.

Wyoming - Indian wardance / I'm Wheeping. I thought that's the noise guinea pigs make! I'm Wheeping has spooky mellotron behind a frantic rhythm which clatters along nicely. German

Great stuff there Paul, a few proper faves. Love that Dream Machine tune for starters. That Sonny LP is a great cheapie too - must have made the label so much money prior to this they let him do what he wanted! That Patsy Gallant is going on the list. Ace!

I have to disagree with your 'Time Will Show the Wiser' statement though -although I love the Merry-go-round's original version it's the Fairports every time for me - it's got that massively vicious guitar break in it for starters. I had the Merry-go-round LP and got rid as the mix on it sounds really puny and the drums disappear - the 45 is the way to go
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I've not been buying too many records of late but this one did land on the mat earlier in the week. It's a belter.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"