Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September Finds 2015

Bosh! What a corker Lee.
    I grew up with the Fairports version of TWSTW, and love it too. As you say, it's a belter of a riff on their version. I like the understated, quiet, backwardsy stuff going on on the Merry-Go-Round version. Both good.
    Patsy Gallant is a Canadian press, and was cheap. Couldn't find a clip for the flipside, but it's pretty good.

And then in the last box I looked at, at the bottom of bookcase with precarious stacks of books, full of Christian 45s I find this:

One of those digging moments that you dream about but don't believe will ever happen!

Michael Garrick Quintet with Joe Harriott and Shake Keane - Anthem

I've often had a vain hope that I'd unearth a UK jazz classic 45. I though I'd done well with Garrick's Before Night/Day in Waterstones for £15 but this was something else. My heart was racing but my mind was completely clear. If I had to do some serious negotiating I was ready. You can't find a record like this in dusty box and then leave it behind - even if you have to pay the going rate!

So when I asked the cheerful owner how much he wanted for the records and he said he'd take £25 for the lot I struggled to stop jumping up and down and shouting for joy. I do have a pang of guilty - but I can live with that

I can now stop buying records for the rest of the year as it won't get any better than this![/QUOTE]

cool,found a laurie Johnson ep last week,that had shake keane and joe harriott
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Got to say there have been some cracking finds these last couple of months. Keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    It was my birthday on Friday
    Happy (week late) Birthday to you.

Those giant slides are crazy! Aside from waterslides, I don't think we have anything like that in the U.S.
    See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

They aren't permanent fixtures, just installations as part of an exhibition by Carsten Holler. Basically, they are a workplace solution. Unfortunately you have to take the stairs back up. He's an interesting artist.
    Some workplace slides
    http://www.topmanagementdegrees.com/...office-slides/

I was looking at a VG++/EX....OG of...

Marcos Valle - 'Garra' -yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and then I noticed....there, you can see, in the photo, inscribed in the run-off, 'LITA 091'......i.e. Light In the Attic....i.e. the 2013 reissue....tell me, what kind of sick, sadistic b*st*rd goes around leaving stuff like that in charity shops getting me all excited? Huh?....ah, well, mustn't grumble I guess, it's still a pretty decent score for a quid, even without the sleeve, but really....and just think, this will happen more and more in the future...

Still plenty more to come...

Those Indian LPs look fantastic though. Good work. It's a funny old world, digging for records.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Glad I forced myself to the gym this morning.

is that Ajda Pekkan on the cover? Is it any good? I had three of her later ones but found them a bit disappoining.

I'm moving house and trying to clear out records, but somehow ended up at one car boot sale last weekend and a charity shop + proper record shop yesterday.

Top two rows are from my favourite record shop of all time, Open Mind records in Uppsala. Easy listening grooves + Sudded Impact for 2 Euro/each. Ron Steele is an old favourite of mine, The Sound Staff is Italian easy listening dated 1970, darker and better than most e-z titles. William Fisher, I like the Ovation label but not a keeper. Ray Bloch - Hair, cool sleeve, decent easy grooves. Robert Niviera LP starts off with a funk groove, which is what i needledropped at the store. Rest of album is too cheesy, mostly vocal pop/lounge of the weakest kind. I asked him about the pricing and told him about some titles (Sound Staff etc), but he didn't care, just told me 'congrats'
    Rows 3 and 4 are mostly car boot sale and charity shop Euro-bin. Joy Division, Ted Atking (French easy funk), polish percussion/avant garde (meh). Swedish funk and boogie on row 4. All lovely stuff. Li Berg (classic Swedish boogie), Betina (Tomas Blank-production on the classic Sir Lancelot label), Salt (religious jazz/funk), Choralerna (gospel funk).
    Paid 10 Euros for the Earland on row 5. Joe Henderson, synthesizers, space themes = sure shot.

Happy to drop many of these if we are to do the auction thing on here anytime soon.

Lessons learned from this weekend:
    1) Don't get involved with borderline women
    2) Keep the out-pile larger than the in-pile.

Gonna try to catch up a bit, here's a first report. Smalltown record fair in late July brought me the first five, the sixth came from a trip to a village with a hifi store that jumped on the vinyl revival bandwagon quite recently. It's like those places usually are - buys everything in bulk no matter what it is, same price for everything no matter what it is and generally not very exciting at all with too much crap. Possibly a place that you could make finds in if you visited often but there's not much to do in the village so I have no reason going there all the time to check it out. I'm sure everyone here lives close to at least one such place.

Kvartetten som sprängde - Kattvals
    Rare Swedish prog that cost me some, but still a fair bit less than other copies I've held in my hands over the years. Excellent moody instrumental prog, often not unlike Bo Hanssons LOTR-works but with more feeling of a full band jamming together.

The Sea Ensemble - After Nature
    Stripped down avantgarde free jazz with some more or less odd instruments (cello, ramazan, davul, flute, cazabash, sheng - I don't know what some of these are) and voice. Quite pleasant listen, it's low key and mellow and not skronky and insane. Gives it a bit of meditative or spiritual feeling.

Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity
    We all know this is good stuff, right? Compilation - only bought it for cheap because it had Wheels on Fire and a few more 7" tracks that I don't believe made it to their LPs.

The Incredible String Band - Changing Horses
    Always walking a thin line between whimsical silliness and trippy folkpsych this one ends up in the right place.

Bob Darin - Commitment
    Couple of really good swampy folkfunk songs here.

Jeremy Steig & Eddie Gomez - Outlaws
    Bass and flute jazz duo - really good and relaxing.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

These lot should have been in the August threat but I haven't had time until today to take pictures. Apologies about the lateness.
    The following records were bought in La Metralleta, in Madrid. I took quite a lot of Lps to swap but I was very disappointed with the price he gave me, basically less than €2 per record and I was even more disappointed when later on I noticed that some of the records he took from me are being sold now for €30

Loquillo Y Los Trogloditas - Morir En Primavera
    . Probably one of the few records I listened to in my youth that stills sounds as fresh. Great songs and many different musical styles, from punk to ballads. Not a bad song there. When I got home I realised that the sleeve was damaged in the corner…
    Mikel Laboa - Bat Hiru. Recent reissue of his classic double Lp from 1974. Beautiful folk music with very interesting lyrics in Basque (but with Spanish and French translations). This record was the main reason I went to La Metralleta, searching online I saw that they had it for sale and I wanted to include a song in this year's Xmas cd.
    Dos Años Del Sonido Chapa. Double compilation lp with many Spanish bands from 1977/9 (Leño, Asfalto, Cucharada, etc) but it also contains the superb Smash - El Garrotín from 1970. This was one of the first tapes I bought when I was 14 and I played it to death. Glad to have it on vinyl finally.
    Javier Krahe - Haz Lo Que Quieras. Sadly he passed away not long ago. Great songs and fantastic cover with 2 altar boys playing cards and drinking wine. The title means "Do Whatever You Want".

Los Piolines - Viva La Quimioterapia. I fall in love with this band when I did a review of this single in a musical newspaper I used to write for in Bilbao. I had forgotten about this Ep so, when I found it I had to have it. Fast punk played by people that can´t play and really silly lyrics. A winner.
    Triquinoise Ep - Despiece: Paletilla Ep with 4 songs from bands from the label Triquinoise. Dark stuff, noisy, oppressive and with very personal lyrics. I bought it because it had a song by 713avo Amor, a band I saw in Bilbao many years ago that really impressed me. Only 3 guys, one drummer that kept the time better than a clock and 2 guitar players with the same guitar and only 3 strings in each guitar. They blew my mind.

Oskorri – Aita-semeak.
    This song was quite popular in the Basque Country when I was a kid. It's ok but nothing spectacular. Folk with a tiny bit of rock.

Atahualpa Yupanqui I have become a little obsessed with Atahualpa since I found an Lp in a carboot in Worthing. I love his lyrics and he is a mean guitar player but I think I will stop buying his records in shops at €3 a pop. I found very similar records in the rastro for only €1. Actually, the one on the left was €6 and the condition is appalling. I forgot that the quality control in Spanish records shops is on a par with their Jamaican counterparts. Note to oneself: Remember always to check the records before buying, just because they come in plastic sleeves don't mean they are not knackered inside.

Las Madres Del Cordero - A Beneficio De Los Huerfanos
    . The Spanish Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band with social lyrics from 1969. The vinyl is not only knackered but had residues of paper glued to the outside of the vinyl. Still playable though.

Los Machucambos - La Cucaracha
    . Interesting take on this song, not mind blowing but quite good nonetheless. I have a couple of Lps by this band and there is always 1 or 2 really good songs there so I always buy any record I can find by them when the price is right.

Lecuona Cuban Boys Ep.
    Nothing special, in the back they said all the songs were rumbas but the record has too much orchestra and too little drums.

The follwing records were bought in the Rastro during 2 Sundays.

Kortatu - A La Calle. I bought this from a little shop in the rastro called Recycling. They have quite a lot of vinyl there and the prices are quite good. After talking to the guy about music for a while he knocked down €5 from the €20 he wanted for this record, the first ever Kortatu 12" with 2 songs that are not present in any other format. One of them is a cover of the cover Stiff Little Fingers did of Doesn't Make It Alright by The Specials. I still remember the excitement of listening to this record for the first time in Bilbao when it came out, at that age when we thought we were going to change the world.
    Conchita Velasco - Una Chica Ye Ye. Another 12" with 2 songs. Conchita Velasco was the original singer of this song but personally I prefer the cover done by Los 3 Sudamericanos. Conchita's voice is too harsh.
    Peret. Probably the best record by him and only 50 cents in the rastro In previous records the sound is too hard, with only clapping and guitar, while later on they will add too much orchestra to his songs but in this lp the balance is just right. Guitar and palms sound loud and clear but there is an orchestra in the background that is quite inconspicuous, you can just about listen to the drum kit, bass, piano and brass in some parts of the record. Some of his best songs are in this lp such as Una Lágrima, Pleitos Tengas, Lo Mato, etc.
    Banjo Paris Session Country with lots of banjo playing. A couple of goods jam sessions but in general I am not impressed.

Peret singles All 1 euro each. The last 2 singles contain 2/3 of the previous lp mentioned, 8 songs out of 12.
    Atahualpa Yupanqui. Also, 1 euro each and in better shape than the ones I bought in La Metralleta. Good songs and fantastic guitar playing again. Difficult to choose from any of the songs.
    Nino Bravo. These €1 singles bring me memories, my auntie used to play him quite a lot and did tapes for me. Still quite middle of the road, kind of Spanish Tom Jones, great voice and some good lyrics but it doesn’t hit me much now.
    Los Pasos - No Me Gusta Decir Si This is a band that, musically, I am not that keen on, but lyrically they were one of the few Spanish groups from the 60s with some social lyrics. This one was €5 but I bought them with Los Canarios and France Gall Ep and the total was €10, happy with the deal.

Manolo Sanlucar - Caballo Negro I have his lp but very happy to get this one in a single because, it's the only song I listen to from the lp 50 cents from the same woman in Plaza del Cascorro that sold me the Peret Lp. The thing with the rastro is that some people will ask for silly prices for records while others just charge €1 each, sometimes the same records that a bit earlier someone was asking for €10. It's worth to shop around and it doesn't seem to be many people looking for vinyl.
    Esquivel - Amor. My first Esquivel record ever, now I understand why he is so well regarded, fantastic effects and great sound.
    Os Campaneiros. Rubbish record, very boring bag pipes. Avoid.
    Jorge Cafrune. Another one to avoid. I bought in total 3 singles by him and none of them convinced me. I expected something similar to Atahualpa but this guy is kind of 2nd league.
    Raul Dias. Some non-inspiring fados, the best thing is the cover.
    Mighty Sparrow. White label with 2 calypsos, unfortunately it has been recorded live and the laughing and clapping distract from the mood.
    France Gall. Brilliant ep, contains both songs from the Eurovision 7" but another 2 that are quite good too. I always pick anything I see by her.
    Tomeu Penya. Catalan singer, B-Side is quite a funny jota but the production is very 80s. Not sure about this one.
    Los Canarios - Get On Your Knees. I imagine everybody here knows this song.

Trio Los Chamas – Linda Lunajerita.
    I bought the following 4 singles in Plaza del Cascorro and by the stickers on them they seemed to belong to someone that in 61 was travelling through South America. The sleeves don’t correspond with the records, one sleeve is from Ecuador while the record inside is from Venezuela, etc. Los Chamas are from Peru and in this huayno song they add a quena. Interesting song full of rhythm that will make it into the Xmas Cd.
    Bobby Small – Virgen De Amor. Bolero-rumba from Ecuador, a bit orchestral but still a good song that also will make it into the Xmas Cd.
    Nelson Navarro Y El Conjunto Tico – San Jose De Costa Rica. Bolero that let me a bit indifferent. The company sleeve is awesome but it doesn’t say where it’s from. The dates in the record and in the sleeve are different so I am not sure it’s from Costa Rica like the record.
    Edith Salcedo – Pueblecito De Barlovento. This contains a joropo and a vals but it’s played with an orchestra so it doesn’t sound folk at all. From Venezuela.
    Alfredo Martinez – Donde Está Tu Amor. From Cuba, some boleros, slow shake and 1 decent bossa nova that doesn´t sound anything like the ones from Brazil but still a good song. These records were bought from Recycling for 1 Euro each.
    Enrique, Daniel Y Elvira – El Jack-O-Late, from Venezuela. Merengue that I will have to listen a bit more, not my preferred style but there is something in this song.
    Carlos Argentino Y La Sonora Manteca – Mi Navidad. From Cuba and with a Christmas theme, this is going straight into the mix.
    Los 3 Diamantes – Ave Sin Nido. 2 boleros again, but I am not really fan of this style, unfortunately. Mexico
    Los Galantes y Ritmos – No Tengo Edad Para Amarte. From Venezuela, the usual song with orchestra, not my type.

My favourite company sleeve ever in more detail. Anybody knows what country it’s from?

Miguel Aceves Mejias I bought the top left double single last year and I was delighted to own a Jim Flora design. This year I found the top right single where all the colours have changed. I prefer the colours of the left one which seems to be older than the other but the details are much clear the right one. A song from this single will also make it into the swap.
    Aguaviva. I mentioned in a previous post the songs from these singles, my favourite is still “Cantaré” though.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    is that Ajda Pekkan on the cover? Is it any good? I had three of her later ones but found them a bit disappoining.
    Ha, can only assume it is her, gamboling with horse. Cover promised lots but essentially fairly middle of the road stuff, can only assume value is down to scarcity. Sold it on Discogs in about 10 mins. And the Mode 12's went as well, proper grip & flips.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post

Lessons learned from this weekend:
    1) Don't get involved with see line women
    Too right.

'...and the rooster crow'......here's a picture of me c.1962/63 (?) involved with some women just a short and terrifying chair lift ride from the sea line/sea lions....

...it's alright though. It's only my mum (gingham dress), my aunty (pushing pram) and my grandma (bag laden with her four or five costume changes for the rest of the day no doubt...) - taken by an official Butlin's photographer! - I'm presuming I was considered too small for the chair lift experience at that time, but you never know....

Thanks to Spirito Santo for the kind birthday greeting, Babycart for the Las Grecas links and Carlitos for the Aquaviva tips (and some tasty sleeve designs) - all much appreciated. Thanks also to Tsundoku for sympathising with my Marcos Valle situation...it was even in a crappy old paper inner! - damn those reproduction labels!...there ought to be a law...Ahem...The catch-up continues - more from Macclesfield....

The Routers - 'Let's Go Pony' - A great period soundtrack for my holiday snap - based around that now familiar football handclap rhythm that also furnished many versions of 'Cara-Lin', a great little surfstrumental with some 'off the beaten track' chord sequence excursions and a great scronky sax - is it just me or is that sax thing generally sounding cool again right now?

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - 'Okay!' - When was the last time you saw 'okay' as a four letter word? One from Messrs Howard and Blaikley's odd 'Zorba The Greek meets Jewish/Gypsy stetl music' period (see also 'Zabadak', 'Bend It', etc.) - the group composed 'He's A Raver' on the B side is rather more fun, rocking away with groovy abandon as it does...

Maximum Joy- 'In The Air' - It's 1982, and all over Britain, post-punk types are emerging their from their hideous squats, leaving the hard drugs behind, playing in the park in the sunshine and generally starting to feel optimistic about life again...or it could be that they've all noticed that Pigbag have had a big hit and that cack-handed funk + scronky sax might possibly = fat royalty cheque and appearance on Top Of The Pops.. I'm being cynical of course and in fact, viewed in isolation these many years later this sounds quite good (esp. that scronky sax)...eagle-eyed plussers will have spotted that this record has itself spent time in Notting Hill - if only they could talk, eh?

Roger Miller - Little Green Apples - cheapy Contour album bought to investigate a few Miller songs I'm less familiar with, i.e 'Boeing Boeing 707' - but sadly a bit knackered and decrepit...

Three upgrades....

Labi Siffre - 'It Must Be Love' - you know this one...

Lene Lovich - 'New Toy' - An underrated and overlooked single written by her then relatively unknown keyboard player, Thomas Dolby - whom I next identified (oddly enough) on Whodini's 'Magic's Wand'....

Rab Noakes - 'Clear Day' - well chuffed to find a nice copy of this single as the one I bought for 10p out of the clearance box downstairs in Wilson Peck in the mid 70s was all but worn out - Joe Egan & Gerry Rafferty on backing vox....

'Popular Guide To Stereo - Narrated by BBC TV's James Burke' - It's all here, weird tones, 'BBC TV's James Burke' switching position from channel to channel....mixtape gold....and some interesting tunes, Philip John Lee's flamenco piece 'Panaderos', Welsh songstress Mari Griffith performing 'The Gentle Bird' in her mother tongue (yes, 'The Welsh Connection', Boi Bach!) and Keith Roberts' Birds 'n' Brass doing 'Shaft' - although the 'Birds' seem curiously disnterested in the wah-wah maelstrom going on around them and merely cluck their 'bwok, bwok-bwok-bwoks' like bored hens - sadly they don't attempt the 'bad motherf_' lyric...Whatever happened to James Burke, anyway? I'm kind of hoping he underwent some David Icke style acid revelation and went off to a parallel universe to become all seeing master of time, space and dimension....or perhaps he just got a job at Oxford University?...

Still more Macc fun to come....
    Last edited by giantchicken; 14-09-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Grandma....erm....grammar!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

the weekends car boot vinyl treasures, I picked up some Pink Floyd/Smiths/Stones bits too but these were the most interesting

I already have this but have played samples from it for so long my copy was trashed,
    this is a handy near mint replacement - twas released on Saga in 1968 me ol' mucker

This was is the same box as the Cockney LP, I hadn't seen this one before

In with a load of Jazz albums, I paid £2 for this - the lady also took my number and said she
    would ring me as she had lots more Jazz at home (fingers x her late hubby collected Blue Note!)

I asked the lady how much her LP's were and she said £4 each, I told her that was way too high for
    what she had in her box but then pulled this out and she laughed and said I could have it for a quid,
    It wasn't too hard to haggle with her.

some 7" odds n ends I was happy to part with 50p a pop for

'.Whatever happened to James Burke, anyway?
    Sadly, he channeled all his energy into growing his eyebrows and heroically trying to smile. I always liked his flyaway boffin hair and tetchy manner.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post

My favourite company sleeve ever in more detail. Anybody knows what country it’s from?

M.R: (Marca Registrada) suggests Latin America, too. Otherwise no idea - it´s brilliantly bonkers, though. there seems to be a bowl of rice and chopsticks flying through the air.

I found Mambo For Cats at the Rastro a few years ago, so it's obviously a prime source of Jim Flora covers.

I've also had a terrible offer of credit at Metralleta. All his latin and salsa lps are knackered, too. I usually spend my time in the €1 room next door. Still, I made a good profit moving on his Jayme Marques lps to UK jazz buyers in the 90s, so I can´t complain too much.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    M.R: (Marca Registrada) suggests Latin America, too. Otherwise no idea - it´s brilliantly bonkers, though. there seems to be a bowl of rice and chopsticks flying through the air.

I found Mambo For Cats at the Rastro a few years ago, so it's obviously a prime source of Jim Flora covers.

I've also had a terrible offer of credit at Metralleta. All his latin and salsa lps are knackered, too. I usually spend my time in the €1 room next door. Still, I made a good profit moving on his Jayme Marques lps to UK jazz buyers in the 90s, so I can´t complain too much.
    I tried to do some detective work but I am not sure either. That sleeve got the date 27/2/61 but not the country, other records or sleeves have the following countries and dates: San Jose de Costa Rica 26/4/61, Quito 30/3/61, Lima 7/3/61 and Maracaibo 3/7/61... so, where was this woman (Eugenia Lefme P.) the month before she went to Perú? She seems to come from the south towards the north (Perú, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Venezuela) and I doubt the record is either Brazilian or Argentinian because it says 45 EP and I think in those countries the singles were played at 33. That leaves us with Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Chile.

I can spot in the sleeve also a hat with an arrow piercing it, nuts and bolts, dices, false teeth, a flying shoe and maybe a horseshoe. I love the cover also, reminds me of the bonkerness of Jim Flora but with a totally different style.

I would love to find Mambo Para Gatos too, it will go straight into a frame.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
    I would love to find Mambo Para Gatos too, it will go straight into a frame.

I've no idea why they didn´t call the Spanish issue Mambo Para Gatos. I suppose it´s for the same reason Peret objected to the word - cats chase mice, mice eat cheese, cheese comes from milk, milk comes from cows, cows have horns and horns mean someone´s shagging your wife.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

That could be because one of several reasons:
    a) Cats in America are richer and could afford records while in Spain life was hard in the 60s. Remember, people had to buy bottles of cognac to get records.
    b) Spanish people spend less money buying records for their pets than in America.
    c) Spanish cats don't like mambo.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Got a spare cheap MC LYTE 'EYES ON THIS' LP

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Reminds me a bit of this Joe Loco Lp:

I picked up a small collection of 78's from the estate of a late old Northamptonian jazzer yesterday.
    He used to be in a band called The Ambassadors, there were a few of his acetate discs in with the lot
    along with some Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald etc. These 12" acetates are metal plates with shellac coating,
    a few are in a sorry old shape but they still play!

This one from 1952 is in much better condition than the 2 metal plate discs, it sounds really upbeat
    and is more like dramatic movie soundtrack music

2 x 10" discs by Northampton jazz band The Ambassadors - circa 1952

A Sinatra disc from 1943 and I couldn't let the Wembley Stadium 78 go, it dates from 1955 the year Newcastle last won the FA Cup

Last Sundays Quarterly Fare Dig,mainly Jazz..

Gabor Szabo - Macho. Szabo on Guitar, Bob James on keys, Idris Muhammed on drums. 'Nuff said.

Herbie Mann - Brazli Otra Ves. Worth it for the cover alone, always loving the Pele chant in the beginning.

Curtis Mayfield - Never Say You Can't Survive. Starting to pick up everything from Curtis' Curtom label I can find, most of its great.

Quincy Jones - Sounds. Not his best, not his worst..

Oscar Peterson and The Singers Unlimited - In Tune. From back when German Chemistry Companies also made records, good combination.

Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller. Just the right balance between Fusion and Funkiness in my eyes, although Sweetnighter still beats it.

Bill Evans - The Interplay Sessions. An Evans joint I hadnt heard of yet, straight forward contemp jazz.

Sergios Mendes & Brasil '66 - Crystal Illusions. Shame on me, the first Mendes record I own..

The rest of the lot.

Westland Steel Band - Sound of the Sun. Trinidad steel drum madness, looked promising but ended up being of shitty sound quality and tracks being repetitive.

Joe Tex - He Who Is Without Funk Cast The First Stone. Past his prime, albeit still worth spinning to get people moving.

Herbie Mann - Vol. 5. A mix of Herbie flute action on Monkey Records, not bad, nothing that sticks out though.

Chick Corea - Sun Dance. Looked like free jazz with support from Hubert Laws and John DeJohnette among others, very Avant-Garde in the wake of Bitches Brew.

Azymuth - Crazy Rhythm. One of the moments I ignored my "Dont buy 80ies records"-rule, unfortunately not doing it for me compared to earlier Az stuff.

Lastly satisfiying my completist need with the Italian Jazz Comp " Giganti Del Jazz", the Corea cuts being by chance from the Sundance LP. Lots of good stuff and a cross section and time-series along the Jazz evolution, always a treat.

"Dont buy 80ies records"
    you will so regret this in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    you will so regret this in a couple of years.
    Ha, yes,I do ignore this rather bold rule more often than I'd admit, but thats why I'm here to get some 80ies enlightenment from you folks! ;-)

Not been able to get out much what with car stresses and what not but a few bits and bobs from various charity shops when I've had the chance:

[IMG][/IMG]

Alphonse Mouzon - Dream Bug Not a comp of various drum led tracks by the Weather Report drummer but rather a sly re-packaging of an album by tenor saxophonist Robin Kenyatta. One track stands out but the rest is pretty lame. Here is the actual album: http://www.discogs.com/Robin-Kenyatt...elease/1654634.

Charlie Byrd Trio - Travellin' Man Bossa Grooves

Oscar Peterson - My Favourite Instrument

Caterina Valente - This is Me Some good orchestration on this late 70's effort.

Paul Nero Sounds - Non Stop Hits Thought this might provide at least one good track but its a pretty stale affair in the dreaded medley format.

Various Artists - The Best of British Folk A few good tracks on this cheapo double comp.

[IMG][/IMG]

Maurice Jarre - Enemy Mine OST I vaguely remember this film of Dennis Quaid arguing with an alien. I thought it might be orchestral but there are bits of 80's synth scattered throughout and its quite dark and atmospheric so well worth the quid I shed for it.

Lemon - Lemon Top disco session guys strut their stuff.

VA - Bezerkely Chartbusters Rockabilly Pop stuff which is not my cup of chai at all.

Wild Thyme - Hunters Moon - Folk private press from 87, dissapointing.

The Music Machine OST Britains answer to Saturday Night Fever which I'd never heard of but the YouTube clips had me in hysterics. The music aint half bad though.

Pan Am Jet North Stars Steel Band Great cover just a pity the music sounds like its been recorded on wax cylinder.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bert and Ernie Sing-along Couldn't leave this.

Various Artists - Televisions Greatest Hits Double LP of American TV themes some of which sound like they've been recorded off the telly with a portable cassette recorder. Gets interesting near the end but not by much.

The Tricycle ‎– Tricycle Sleeveless copy

Leslie First Combo - Sexy Hammond Volume 2 Not Sexy in the slightest.

Sesame Street Monsters As with Bert and Ernie.

Southern Symphony Steel Orch - I love Steel Band More steel band tourist fare which production wise sounds even worse than the previous one.
    Last edited by amidar; 18-09-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Wild Thyme

Not 100%, but I think you have artist & title transposed on the Wild Thyme LP.

Your'e right, fixed it, to be honest I thought as much when I was writing it, checking the actual record confirms.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not 100%, but I think you have artist & title transposed on the Wild Thyme LP.

In Newcastle last weekend. Met up with a couple of shifty geezers in RPM, and had a quick glance through some of THAT collection...crikey! I didn't make it as far as the 45s, despite Mr Sayers best attempts to deplete my Utrecht wedge! Still got a bit left.
    Picked up 3 excellent lps from there, great condition too. No big hitters for me (there are plenty there believe me) just great music.

[IMG][/IMG]

Beacon Street Union - Eyes of the beacon street union. Well known classic Boston lp.

Crome Syrcus - Love Cycle. 1968 Seattle band. SF, Barry Melton style guitar in places. Bit of a side long epic, which is suitably over the top for the times.

Kensington Market - Aardvark. This was on my list of potential buys at Utrecht. Terrific Toronto band. Absolutely solid lp, I'm completely hooked on it now. Similar vibe to the 1st Beast lp, which was the best lp I picked up last year. This is my favourite so far this year. 1969 release, interesting in that it's one of the early "rock" lps with a synthesizer on it, and to their credit, they don't go for they kids in a sweetshop approach and smother everything in wibbly wobbliness. It's actually used very tastefully. Great vocal harmonies, good songs, tight playing, this lp is a gem. Still cheap to pick up original copies, I'd recommend it. Love the cover too!
    There's a whiff of Whistler, Chaucer Detroit & Greenhill about this track, and the synth lifts the otherwise acoustic track to another level.

Sabicas with Joe Beck - Rock encounter. Following on from the Nature Boy Joe Beck lp I picked up a couple of weeks back, I got this one where Joe joins flamenco guitarist Sabicas. The combination works well, another lp available cheaply and worth picking up. The drama of the flamenco sound is maintained, and when the two forms kick in together it's quite something, this is a good illustration. Two and a half minutes in and things get cooking nicely