Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September Finds 2015

Default September Finds 2015

Still playing catch-up with my recent finds (plenty more to come) so to get September kick-started, here's a few sundry album acquisitions...

Paid a visit to Sharston Books in South Manchester at the weekend - the vinyl used to be in two sections, the pricier stuff (occasionally a bit of interesting rock and psych hidden amongst much run of the mill dross) upstairs amid all the sci-fi gubbins, and a whole load of chud inna tip-shop stylee in a Portakabin outside the main building - in fact, since the place is not far from my nearest recycling centre, I've often wondered if the owner didn't just trawl the skips! The upstairs section is now gone ('took up too much room') - no great loss really - and the Portakabin stash is greatly diminished, but did yield four of the following;

Maynard Ferguson - 'The World Of Maynard Ferguson'/'MF Horn 2' - I'd heard of Mr Ferguson before, and was aware he had some kind of jazz pedigree, but didn't let that detract me, especially when I saw the name of Keith Mansfield all over these two and, coupled with the track listings, I figured I'd happened on some vulture style goodness. 'The World Of' got off to a promising start with 'Chala Nata' a nice bit of groovy raga-jazz, with a veena involved. John Cameron's 'If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind' was a bit of a disappointment (perhaps I'll change my mind though..) 'L-Dopa' had looked like the main event and in some ways was, but essentially it's a large wad of padding, 'Powerhouse Pop' played twice with a dull section in the middle. Credit to MF & Co. for trying to straighten out the beat through the boring bits of 'MacArthur Park', but unfortunately failing to capitalise on the groovy allegro section.

'MF Horn 2' looked a more likely contender with a 'Shaft' and a 'Spinning Wheel' on but again, MF & Co. miss these open goals by trying to be too clever with the arrangements. The version of Lennon's 'Mother' is a more inspired choice and better-executed. These albums fail largely due to being groovy easy listening disguised as jazz and ultimately being neither. And there's another problem - the words 'parpmongous/parptastic' are, I feel, overused on this forum, but they would be apt here - and may I add,'squealorrendous'? The brass just gets a bit too much....

Kenny Clare & Ronnie Stephenson - 'Drum Spectacular' - Plenty of familiar Britjazz names in the lineup here; Hayes, Baker, Lusher, Scott, Coe etc....I can enjoy a bit of spectacular big band drumming as much as the next man (saw Clem Burke playing in Nancy Sinatra's band once - brilliant) but it has to be part of a show to stand out - a whole album of it on every predictable standard soon wore me down - this can join the Gene Krupa album I recently acquired in the outpile...

Noel Coward - 'The Master Sings' - A rather classy 1966 MfP effort this one. I'm no expert on Noel Coward and whilst I fully expected to be floored by his towering wit (and I was), I wasn't expecting to find that both the melodies and Mr Coward's singing are really rather lovely. Only the limits of the recordings hinder this at all - a very pleasing find, and I'll be on the lookout for more...

...other sundry finds...

John Stewart - 'Bombs Away Dream Babies' - bought this during a quick look round the door in my local Oxfam - remembered my brother had been after a copy - later remembered I'd already bought him one a few years back, so gave it a listen anyway. This album always gets tagged as a 'Fleetwood Mac by the back door' affair, but I think that's a bit unfair.

Sure, the influence of the Buckingham/Nix axis is all over it, not least on the best known track 'Gold', a fine anthem for the musical fraternity of California. I certainly came away with more respect for Lindsey Buckingham, because he's done a great job of putting the solid and economical songwriting of John Stewart, already something of a veteran at the time, in a frame that both makes it as relevant and modern as it could be without losing the 'soul' of the songs - you can actually hear John being worked hard here, but he comes through fine and the sympathetic production really re-energises that folk-pop sound of the early sixties - better than I thought it might be....

Cabaret Voltaire - 'Live YMCA 27 10 79' - Many thanks to Shere Khan for offering this up on 'Record Gratis' - took me back instantly to the Sheffield of my youth - the titular YMCA was on Broomhall Road in a shady, slightly scary twilight world that existed between the genteel shops of Ecclesall Road at one end and the crumbling Georgian terraces of Broomhall at the other and the sounds on this album, distinctly dissonant and lo-fi, capture the mood of foment quite wonderfully - oh sure, there's 'Nag Nag Nag' and a cover of 'Here She Comes Now' on here, but the structures of the songs almost break the mood - it's all about the atmospherics for me....

...one more...

Was wandering past a charity shop in Edgeley, Stockport that had never turned up much but had a quick look on the off chance - all rubbish as usual and I was irritated by one battered album bereft of even inner sleeve that was sitting atop the others - took a closer look and wondered if it was salvageable - took it home and gave it the giantchicken 'intensive treatment'...

..came up alright enough to play through without any major dramas...put it on at sunset and enjoyed....

Gabor Szabo - 'Bacchanal' - the rare UK issue on Fontana - lovely album - all I need now is a sleeve!

...more to come...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    Paid a visit to Sharston Books in South Manchester at the weekend - the vinyl used to be in two sections, the pricier stuff (occasionally a bit of interesting rock and psych hidden amongst much run of the mill dross) upstairs amid all the sci-fi gubbins, and a whole load of chud inna tip-shop stylee in a Portakabin outside the main building - in fact, since the place is not far from my nearest recycling centre, I've often wondered if the owner didn't just trawl the skips!
    Interesting... my partner's mum mentioned this place to me as somewhere I might like to check out, but I've never made it yet. Do they have much classical in amongst the chud/gubbins/kibble, or is it all Val 'n' Des 'n' Harry 'n' pals?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Interesting... my partner's mum mentioned this place to me as somewhere I might like to check out, but I've never made it yet. Do they have much classical in amongst the chud/gubbins/kibble, or is it all Val 'n' Des 'n' Harry 'n' pals?
    I wouldn't go out of my way to pay a visit these days, Sonovox, unless it's books or magazines you're after - they seem particularly good at that. I only popped in because the paper recycling skip at my local supermarket had been removed and figured if I drove the two or three miles to the dump, a bit of digging on the way would justify it. The available vinyl was about enough to fill a very large bookcase and featured all the artists you mention and a lot of country - Patsy Cline collectors could hit the motherlode there maybe, but I gave it all a good rinse and only came up with the four mentioned. I think there were a few classical boxsets, but little else. In fact I scored three Beethovens (2 on Supraphon) at a hitherto unvisited charity on the way back!

I asked the owner if he was winding down the vinyl side of the operation - he said it was not deliberate, but that it was getting harder to find decent collections to sell on (a complaint I've heard a few times recently in these parts) - he said he'd buy more in if he could find decent 'rock stuff' (even at it's height there was a distinct 'rockist' lilt to the place) but that all he got offered these days was Andy Williams and Shirley Bassey - obviously the book side of the operation pays the rent so if he's given over the indoor space to that, I guess you can't blame him really....

OK, thanks for that! I am kind of scared to venture there anyhow... if the description of my record piles sounded bad, you should see the piles of books I've yet to read

That's possibly a fair assesement of Maynard. Personally I love his stuff and have about 10 albums of parpmungous majesty but its clearly not everyones cup of tea.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    That's possibly a fair assesement of Maynard. Personally I love his stuff and have about 10 albums of parpmungous majesty but its clearly not everyones cup of tea.
    He has his moments

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    He has his moments

there's some moments on this one too - the title track if memory serves:

Some 45s found on the hinterwebs for your delight and delectation....starting with a tale of two sonics....

The Sonics - 'House Party' EP - Four 1964 home recorded goodies from the lovable proto-garage funsters featuring 'Keep A Knockin'' - another lucky win on the 'bay at 2.18...

Sonic's Rendevous Band - 'City Slang' - Rather more expensive, but without getting silly, this blue vinyl re-ish was absolutely the only one I could find anywhere on the planet and well worth the outlay, I'm sure you'll agree...

The Chantays - 'Pipeline' - a classic for surfin' birds...

Kevin Ayers - 'Stranger In Blue Suede Shoes' - remember kids, it's not good to give illegal drugs to people without their consent, even if they have been quite rude to you - although it can provide a humorous scenario for a great single...

Julie Ege - 'Love' Spotted this one on the 'bay when it was a minute from the end of the auction, so essentially a blind punt - for any youngsters reading this, Julie Ege was, in the early 70's, one of a number of pet adopted Scandinavian bombshells that set young British beaus hearts a-racing and severely tested YKK's finest products, often to destruction. Aaaah, 'Love'. I'd love to be able to post a Youtube clip of this one, but none exists, I'd love to be able to tell you how Julie imbues one of John Lennon's loveliest songs with the sweetest fragrance of the nectar of love itself...but I can't - because it's awful...so let's remember Julie with a picture instead....aaaahhhhh....

Summertime...and the euro was queasy....I decided to punish Europe for it's weak and inadequate currency, but not in a cowardly Farage style way, oh no, not me, sir...so I picked on one single Spanish dealer who I reckoned I could take and punished him...twice in fact....the average price of all the following was about 2 each...

Billy Preston - 'Fuera De Orbita' - or 'Outa Space' as we know it - funky clav jam in excelsis...

Jim & Jean - People World - Groovy lysergic tinged pop-folk from the 60s - the B side 'Time Goes Backwards' is the draw...

Mistral - 'Starship 109' - spectacular space-disco euro-nonsense from former Shocking Blue & Exseption alumni...love it...

The Sugarhill Gang - Apache in a rather pretentious 'Egyptian' themed picture sleeve and turning up just nicely to coincide with it's revival as an advertising jingle on TV...

Agua Viva - 'Poetas Andaluces'/ 'Cantare' - Haven't quite worked out the background to this one - the A side appears to be a poem by Rafael Alberti set to some pleasant music, but I was hooked by the more adventurous and melodic B side, Manolo Diaz's 'Cantare'...

Antoine - 'Yo digo lo que pienso y vivo como quiero' - amazingly, it took me very little time to translate this back into 'Je dis ce que je pense et je vis comme je veux'...phew, keeps you on your toes this record malarkey, eh?

The Lemon Pipers - 'Jelly Jungle' - following an Lemon Pipers love-in on Mr BradX's playlist page, I was alarmed to discover that I didn't own 'Jelly Jungle', one of my favourite pop songs ever, on vinyl - this poorly pressed Mexican EP will suffice until I find a better copy...

Los Relampagos - 'Danza del fuego' - quite possibly my favourite find this summer - great picture sleeve, and despite a bit of a warp towards the outer edge, it plays fine and oh - how it plays....this is Falla's 'Ritual Fire Dance' a la The Shads and Tornados Meet Joe Meek Uptown (with a Moog)- perfect in every way and I just wish the run-off went on forever....

Caroline Hall - 'Dream Boy'/ 'Julie' - a mysterious piece of very late 60's Britgirl pop - cnan't find anything much about it other than it was released in Britain on Major-Minor. Caroline Hall for awhile sang with a band that would morph into glampoppers Hello and released a handful of singles on different labels including a version of Lynsey DePaul's 'Ivory Tower' - the Les Reed co-written A side is a bit of a throwaway, but Ms Hall reveals some rather impressive vocal chops on the flip....tell me more....

Suzi Quatro - 'Rock Hard' - missing from her 'Greatest Hits', this was Suzi's 1980 effort to get fat Len and the boys back together and reclaim her patch from all those upstart punks and NWOBHMer's who'd invaded her hard rockin' turf while she'd been off recording soppy ballads with the singer out of Smokie...worth buying if only for the excuse of posting the video on here...and somebody get some scissors for that stray lock of hair will you FFS?

The Archies - Bang-Shang-A-Lang - bing-bing-a-bong, bam-sham-a-lam, ring-ring-a-ding...is it just me, or did anyone else find the Archies a bit...well. you know....two-dimensional?....

Las Grecas - Yo no quiero pensar - new on me, some Greco-Spanish ladies who, while apparently attractive, have just that slightly scary edge to them, a quality reflected wonderfully in the unexpected glam-rock landscape in which they howl with abandon....but finally this was the biter bit , for the Spanish dealer chose the right picture sleeve, but instead put inside the wrong Las Grecas record, 'Soy la que sufra por tu amore'...ah well, can't win 'em all....this is what I could have had...

...stay tuned...

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

City Slang . One of the finest singles ever recorded ....
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    City Slang . One of the finest singles ever recorded ....
    Agreed, what a pedigree though. One of Detroits best too. Is the reish 45 or 33?

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Agreed, what a pedigree though. One of Detroits best too. Is the reish 45 or 33?

Hmmm....not sure....

[IMG][/IMG]

Jonna Gault and her symphonopop scene - Watch me. Bought this on the strength of her Wonder why I guess? 45. That is the best track (for me) on the lp.

Joe Beck - Natures Boy. On my Utrecht list, but turned up a cheapie from a UK seller. Saves me dragging it back home. Cracking lp, JB plays some mean guitar, some people reference Hendrix in relation, but I don't get that myself.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pegasus - Fire / Things to come. Think there may have been a find of a few of these as some unplayed copies have shown up online recently. A cheeky offer bagged mine. A right old "banger"

Jon - Is it love / So much for Mary. Didn't know this got a US release. Promo only by the looks of things. Could be wrong. 1967 on a plate. Some Luvvers involvement apparently.

The Fairytale.........Nothing for a lifetime, then I get 3 in six months!

[IMG][/IMG]

J.J.Light - Na Ru Ka / Follow me girl. Recognise this copy Sie? Cheers for that. Corking b side. Lashings of fuzz and a hip busting riff ( The Troggs would have been proud ).....cat heading under the sofa at speed is always a good sign

The Creation - How does it feel to feel / If I stay too long. Hit-Ton German copy. Now this IS one of the best singles IMO. Never tire of it.

The Baron Four - Yes I do / Girl
    The Baron Four - Walking out / Can't find my way. Picked these two up at The Fiddlers Elbow, Weirdsville bash last Saturday. Probably some kind of warm up for the shenanigans down in Brighton at the weekend. Witnessed this lot blow the competition right out of the water. Incredible live band, go see them, they f*****g rock.

Keeping abreast of things this month...

Oh, alright then...

Niagara - s/t. OG. At the front of the box in the charity shop today. I got the feeling somebody had considered it and put it back. I handed over my 1.

These were the only other two in the box that tempted me:

Laurie Johnson & His Orchestra - Something's Coming Not a big fan of the big band sound but the there is more to this album that that. A cool 60s vibe to this. Really like iti.

The Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble - Modern Brass. A 1979 Argo release not sure I ever knew Argo was still going in the late 70s. Modern classical done by a brass orchestra. Need to set aside some time for a concentrated listen to this. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pegasus - Fire / Things to come. Think there may have been a find of a few of these as some unplayed copies have shown up online recently. A cheeky offer bagged mine. A right old "banger"
    An absolute winner for me and a premier find! Funk rock at its best.
    DANCE TO THE RADIO

Niagara for a quid, top find and a nice STS too, bet you were buzzin!

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Damn .... you could have had the j.j light mate . Lovely finds ... Joe Beck is a wonderful record
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Game over ... great stuff!
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Id say the its in the top ten ooooooooooooooofffffffffffffs

Sid James approved
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Damn .... you could have had the j.j light mate . Lovely finds ... Joe Beck is a wonderful record
    Only just cottoned on to Joe Beck. Liked the sound of the Acid Archives write up, so went looking. Waiting on a copy of the Sabicas Rock Encounter lp, which also sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Id say the its in the top ten ooooooooooooooofffffffffffffs

Sid James approved
    Recently I had been wondering whether it was nearly game over inasmuch as on the charity shop trawling front as they have been barren all year. This has recharged my faith batteries quite nicely!

(My dad had a strong likeness to Sid James we were often told, of course that meant he had to practice the laugh.)

I thought that one only resided on Utrecht sellers "walls". Top "proper" find. A lesson for us all there.

Popped into a useless chazzer Saturday thinking why do I keep checking here. Then oof my bolly 45 collections increases somewhat. This hits from old movies series are bolly too :

im still going through it but i has lovely stuff like this :

:

which has a number of RD Burman compositions on liek this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4W1b-4OuE

Then slim pickings at this mornings booter but they were budget price :

Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Good lord. Niagara for a quid. That was supposed to happen to me.

I picked up these nice old school choir albums today but couldn't find anything about them online - does anyone know more?!
    The first one is from 1979 on Cherish and Vol. 2 is on SB Records and was released in 1982

I'd not heard of that before, is verr nice

So Candiman finds 'Niagara' for a quid - must admit that one had gone under my radar, but having checked Youtube I can see it's a great find - excellent work fella, your perseverance paid off, more than a little karma involved there, I daresay. Well done to you too Eclipsechaser, a fantastic Bollywood horde...perhaps the vinyl gods were smiling on the chazzadiggers this weekend? Hmmmm...Let's interrupt my catch-up to bring you right up to date

Today's find: (hey, some chazzas are open on Sunday y'know...)

Zizi Jeanmaire - 'Les Grandes Chansons' - My second Zizi album in a few months, you never used to see them - are all the British beatniks of the late 50s/early 60s dying out? This one was rather grubby but reacted well to a good cleaning - lacks a bit of atmosphere compared to the other I bought (a live album), but I warmed to it as it went on and got progressively swingier - the last track 'Je suis la femme' might even get a spin out...

It was my birthday on Friday and having had a pretty long and tiring workday, I wasn't in much of a mood for partying (not that anyone was available to join me if I had been) so I consoled myself by treating myself to a 45 from the States - it was a BIN at about 5 or 10 quid over the usual, but it was described as mint (yeah, right) and you don't see it often - it tends not to hang around, so I bit - you can wait until it arrives to find out!

Saturday morning I felt a bit guilty at my profligate spending and resolved to get back to some good cheap chazza digging - I identified three shops I'd never visited and as it turned out only one had vinyl and a decent amount too....here's what I came home with...

Some 45s...

Nothing amazing - all 60s stuff but all in pretty good condition....

Cilla Black - Anyone Who Had A Heart
    The Ivy League - Tossing And Turning
    Sandie Shaw - Girl Don't Come
    Gerry & The Pacemakers - Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
    The Hollies - Just One Look
    Petula Clark - Downtown
    Gene Pitney - I'm Gonna Be Strong
    I'd imagine at least a couple of these are potential upgrades, haven't checked yet....

Albums...

I've always been a bit envious of those (like Eclipsechaser) who routinely seem to run into Indian records and have Bollywood collections, yesterday, it seemed my luck had changed - but since I hardly had a clue what I was looking at it was a case of choose a few and hope...in terms of getting a sense of Bengali music it seems I chose well...had to do a fair bit of googling to find out even what they were though!

Kazi Nazrul Islam - 'Bengali Songs'

Nazrul was known as 'The Rebel Poet' through his association with, and activism (and imprisonment) for, anti-imperialist causes - this album compiles work from a long period - for non-speakers of Bengali, the simpler tabla and sitar works and those featuring female vocals are perhaps the most instantly attractive...

Hemanta Mukharjee - 'Hemanta - A Legend Of Glory'

Bengali film music over three decades, by a master of the genre and possessor of a beautiful singing voice - you can hear the evolution of the sound, there's melodious use of woodwind and strings and even a few western percussion instruments starting to creep in; a pleasant and relaxing listening experience...

Shankar Jaikishan - OST 'Andaz'

The much more familiar territory of Hindi movies - looks to be a kind of Bollywood 'Sound Of Music' going by the sleeve and the yodelling on the opening track which translates as 'Life Is A Journey' - reverb drenched vocals, Asha Bhosle etc...good fun...

And also...

Janet Jackson - 'Rhythm Nation 1814' - had always liked Janet Jackson's mid 80's Jam & Lewis period and was looking forward to continuing the trip - unfortunately, despite appearances this copy is less 'well nasty' and in fact just ...well....nasty....

Pete Moore Orchestra - 'Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow' - either a spare or if it's better than my current one (it was) then an upgrade...

...and then this happened...

Getting towards the end of the shop's vinyl stash, I encountered a record with no sleeve - taking a quick look inside the bag, I recognised the album and had a little 'oooft' moment...the condition seemed good so I thought, 'O...K..... I'll just pay for these and make my way home....'

Took it home and after just a minimal dry clean...

I was looking at a VG++/EX....OG of...

Marcos Valle - 'Garra' -yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and then I noticed....there, you can see, in the photo, inscribed in the run-off, 'LITA 091'......i.e. Light In the Attic....i.e. the 2013 reissue....tell me, what kind of sick, sadistic b*st*rd goes around leaving stuff like that in charity shops getting me all excited? Huh?....ah, well, mustn't grumble I guess, it's still a pretty decent score for a quid, even without the sleeve, but really....and just think, this will happen more and more in the future...

Still plenty more to come...

blimey Niagra for a quid is a bargain. Top marks. You too tree boy.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Hank Mobley: Dippin. Early black n light blue issue fairly cheap. I'm not mad.

recent vinyl finds

Not the soundtrack to the recent Channel 4 series but an album of sound FX featuring
    sex & violence and err, auctions.

Ain't nothing going on here but Cornish verse and music, thankfully these Minstrels are not blacked up.

This album released on Pama in the late 60's features popular tunes of the day,
    The Red & White Minstrels and How To Cure a Nagging Wife

Just when I thought I had every stereo test record ever made I find one
    I'd never seen before - released through a magazine in the late 60's

These were the pick of 3 Chet Baker albums I won in a local auction at the weekend,
    both are sealed recent re-issues - they were in with a lot of other Jazz stuff
    but these were the ones I really wanted, 24 well spent for 15 albums.

This is the Dutch 12" version of the single that was a UK hit in 1979
    it's a bit of a shame that it just has the same 4 tracks.

I took a 50p punt on this as I'd not seen/heard of it before and it turns
    out to be quite scarce, but it was it's B side Come Inside which I preferred.

Along with the 2 school choir albums I found at the weekend was this 7" which features
    the best known UK school choir (at least since 1979) I never knew they were on another
    record as I'd always thought There's No-one Quite Like Grandma was their only release,
    so you can only imagine how proud I was to discover this then!

Walked down the first row at the car boot on Sunday, thinking 'going to be nothing here, why do I bother, waste of time..'. 20 minutes later I'd spent all me cash. everything 50p - 1, was good.

Couple of boxes of dancehall 45s from a clearance geezer, so dipped in as not bought any dancehall for years. Yet to properly go through, but some nice stuff here.

Next up, someones husband getting rid of his 7's, so i helped him out. Pleased with the Eric B 'Follow The Leader' and 'I Know You Got Soul' 45's.

Have been enjoying the Geoff & Maria LP's, great choice of songs, all done with a lot of charm. The Jones Girls LP's are all great, classics like Nights Over Egypt etc, and as I had never heard You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody before, very glad I picked them up.

The Andy Doll is a great swing/country/rockabilly LP on Starday, not sold on the Black Uhuru, but me mate's recommend it so will perservere. Sonic Youth & Televison 12's, very enjoyable.