Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: September Finds 2015

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    A solitary find in the charity shop:

This is in a way a sibling album to Jan Johansson's Jazz på Svenska, recorded at the same time, but taking a big band approach instead of Johansson's sparse piano/bass arrangement.
    Have tried this and a few similar orchestral folk/religion religious jazz wo any success. And I love the Johansson.

These squeezed in at the end of September
    [IMG][/IMG]

Titus Groan - s/t, US copy on Janus. Fantastic early prog job. US issue doesn't have the gatefold sleeve, or the big ticket price, but does contain the same brilliant music. Easily available online, nice copies to be had. I paid about the same as you would stump up for a decent reissue nowadays ie a touch over £20. Jim Tooney was previously in Jon who recorded that blinding 45 I posted up a while ago

Wizard Of Oz ost. I got an old fashioned shopping trolley full of lps off the tip at our depot. All really nice condition, mostly late 50s original lps, tons of Bing Crosby, Lonnie Donegan, Jim Reeves, Burl Ives etc.....bringing them home a couple at a time to listen to

[IMG][/IMG]

The Sonoma with Tim Muncrief - It was a very good year / All about. Great 2 sider. Mental version of "It was...", somewhere in the Mad River ball park. "All about" is a more uptempo tune, also really good. The promo with "It was.." on both sides seems to crop up more than the stock copy with different sides. Couldn't find a clip of All about.

Alex Keenan- Tell her you love her / Fuzz. All about the b side. Head for 2.55 in the clip, until about 5.05. Starts off like a munsters outtake, gets all groovy, flutey, fuzzy, brassy....top 45. Thanks to Pencilface for this one.

[IMG][/IMG]

HP Lovecrat - 2. Hadn't listened to my Edsel reish of this for donkeys years, in fact I was fairly blasé about it when I was chatting to Nige & Craig about it. Their facial expressions and muted tones were enough to convince me to revisit my old copy. Felt like a complete clot after listening to it (with much older ears it has to be said). Of course they were right, it's a tremendous lp....all the way through. Again, cheap to grab an og, which is worthwhile as it blows my Edsel copy out of the water sonically. Straight onto the top shelf.

Thumbs up

Nice finds there Paul mate, I'm pleased you've come to your senses on the HP Lovecraft, top ten for me.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Me too......on both counts

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by mr sayers View Post
    Nice finds there Paul mate, I'm pleased you've come to your senses on the HP Lovecraft, top ten for me.
    Yeah, this is a great LP. I found a copy a few months ago when a bar near my house was having a kind of fleamarket/garage sale ... just a blanket on the ground outside with LPs and other stuff. Was only thinking it would do for trades fodder but turned out to be an instant keeper
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

This is why I very rarely chuck stuff out. It sits there waiting for my tastes to catch up with it

I remember having the HP Lovecraft in the eighties, fleamarket find, but it was probably too advanced for me at the time.

Catching up with the September goodness.

Very pleased with some cheap mailbox finds this month. Stumbled across these 45s whilst looking for something else that I couldn’t afford (as is often the way).

Ray Agee – Mr Clean
    . Always had Ray filed as a country artist in my mind for some reason. I was wrong. Great bluesy number.

Big Daddy Rucker with The Johnny Otis Show – He Made You Mine. Fantastic bluesy deep soul. Mr Otis did a lot of interesting and obscure stuff in the 70s from my recent experience.
    Don Covay – Iron Out The Rough Spots / You Put Something On Me. You can’t go wrong with Don Covay (RIP).

Tamiko Jones with Herbie Mann – Day Tripper / A Good Thing. Groovalicious. Hadn’t realised the extent of Tamiko’s career before her 70s Disco days.

Big Youth – Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing / Wolf Run.
    U Roy – Hat Trick / Wet Vision
    Both superb. I have the Trojan Roots box set CD but somehow still manage not to have Trojan marked down as a label on which to find great Roots stuff. Wolf Run is a Version (of course) and is nice and dubby – sort of reminds of Silford Walker’s Burn Babylon a bit.

Reuben Bell – It’s Too Late. Great deep soul version of the Tarheel Slim song. Reuben is the latest soul artist I am obsessing over – got to hunt down all his 45s.

The Troggs – Little Girl / Maybe The Madman? Always pick up Troggs singles when I come across them. Strong A sides and plenty of B side treasures too, and this is certainly one of them.

Evie Sands – Estate Of Mind. Got here from an early Phyllis Hyman LP which has a version of One Thing On My Mind on it, which I think is superb. Discovered the original was by Evie. This whole album is excellent, some Carole King vibes to it, and I can’t stop playing Evie’s version of One Thing On My Mind now.

A few 45s at 25p a pop at the booter a couple of weeks ago. Included another Spice Girls black label jukebox issue for my daughter’s growing collection (already squirreled away in her collection by the time I took this pic, the black label you can see is Blur’s Coffee And TV.). A couple of Lieutenant Pigeon’s in there and the pick of the bunch: Timebox – Beggin’.

Inexplicably I parted with £10 for this:

A box of 105 mostly Gangsta Rap CDs. I don’t like Gangsta Rap and they are plainly not vinyl. They are in excellent nick and were well filed by artist which must have been the attraction! “How much are the CDs?”. “30p each”. “£10 for the box?”. “What, you want all of them?!”

picked up a great mixed selection of LP's & 12"s in a charity shop on Friday, these were 25p each 5 x £1 also
    there were Husker Du, Rage Against The Machine, Muse, it was just popping into the right place at the right time.

I admire your Butthole.

In as much as I really like their music, and I just wanted to be able to post that.

Anyway...

Thanks to the munificent Benicio Del Toffo's for this pair of beauties:

The Mod Moppets ‎– Kiddie Au Go-Go - Nursery Rhymes With The Teenage Dance Beat Of Today!:

Cy Payne & His Orchestra - Children's TV Themes:

I'm a sucker for a bit of brass - Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass - Early Alpert:

Back to the obscure British comedy, Tony Fayne - Strikes Again:

A series of albums he made with Clive James, most of which were in an Oxfam and sadly beyond my price range, Pete Atkin - Secret Drinker:

Metal Mickey - Sillycon Chip complete with lyrics. Please feel free to sing along with this update.

A timely charity shop find while England still had some sort of hope in the World Cup, The Jock Strapp Ensemble - Rugby Songs - Volume Three:

One of my occasional imports from down under, Jasper Carrott - Made In Australia:

Ulster favourite and another great bus cover, James Young - Young And Foolish:

I was inspired to track this down by a previous post. I still have no idea who she is/was and where the hell her career went, Jaime Adams - Introducing:

I popped out for a pint of milk and came back from my local charity shop with this, Huckleberry Hound - The Great Family TV Show:

David Copperfield appears to have had a career as a French chanteur before his carrer as a dodgy British comedian, no idea why as yet, David Copperfield - Summer Days:

Dame Edna Everage - Disco Matilda, complete with instructions for dance fanatics:

Gloucestershire scrumpy inspired phone nonsense, Mart Connors and The Carrot Crunchers - On The 'Phone:

A Cribbins picture sleeve that I didn't have and one of the great murder ballads of our time, Bernard Cribbins - The Hole in The Ground:

The Sven Libaek Concert Orchestra - "Sven Libaek Conducts his 38 Piece Orchestra" $0.50. Ex+/ VG (one inch tear on front sleeve). Yesterday from the dollar bin.

Some time after "Solar Flares" Sven encountered Cyclops. Cyclops was in thrall to the Phoenix force and broke Sven's powers, taking them for himself. The results are there for all to hear in this album. PM me if you are curious. Otherwise I might use my powers to turn it into an amusing ashtray.

TV Themes Orchestra - "This Day Tonight". $3.00. Ex+/ Ex (the sleeve belongs to R.Liebich). From the record fair this morning.

Sven moving towards the height of his powers. Find it on Discogs and listen to "Woobinda" - not dissimilar to his "Nature Walkabout" work.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 04-10-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Pickiness

The Linha Singers – Voices in Rhythm. Ex+/Ex+. $?

There I was in the Oxfam shop in Reading, looking at an Elgar LP.

Also there was some young dude. He was in the rap area. His young female companion was waiting, apparently patient.

Paul H put this on. After a little while I told Paul that whatever it was, it wasn’t remotely what I had hoped to hear. And that it was surprisingly good. A little bit longer and I told him it was really good. The young woman clearly thought the same thing; we smiled at each other. I called out “Sold!”.

The sleeve tells me that this is akin to the Swingles. Except that it is Czech. Also, that the Swingles improvise, whereas these guys stick to the script. The script being rococo music by 15 Czech composers from (roughly) 1700 – 1830. No ‘overfamiliarity’ issue for me here; I have no recollection of hearing any of it before.

The singers ba-buh-dab. The jazz backing (The Karel Velebny Jazz Group) adds unobtrusive swing. It all sounds completely effortless. Ideal for a sophisticated soiree with friends in the city pad. Maybe leaven it with some of the Swingle I acquired yesterday and this morning.

Now all I need is a pad in the city.

And some friends.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 04-10-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Ooops.

Interesting to see the Elgar on Popsike. I must raise my 'classical game'.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    The Linha Singers – Voices in Rhythm. Ex+/Ex+. $?

There I was in the Oxfam shop in Reading, looking at an Elgar LP.

Also there was some young dude. He was in the rap area. His young female companion was waiting, apparently patient.

Paul H put this on. After a little while I told Paul that whatever it was, it wasn’t remotely what I had hoped to hear. And that it was surprisingly good. A little bit longer and I told him it was really good. The young woman clearly thought the same thing; we smiled at each other. I called out “Sold!”.

The sleeve tells me that this is akin to the Swingles. Except that it is Czech. Also, that the Swingles improvise, whereas these guys stick to the script. The script being rococo music by 15 Czech composers from (roughly) 1700 – 1830. No ‘overfamiliarity’ issue for me here; I have no recollection of hearing any of it before.

The singers ba-buh-dab. The jazz backing (The Karel Velebny Jazz Group) adds unobtrusive swing. It all sounds completely effortless. Ideal for a sophisticated soiree with friends in the city pad. Maybe leaven it with some of the Swingle I acquired yesterday and this morning.

Now all I need is a pad in the city.

And some friends.
    Great story!
    I don't know this record by Karel Velebny is a bit of a Czech jazz legend
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

It was a nice moment.

Paul is always good to talk to.

I emerged with a couple of other things that I will probably mention in due course.

The Linha's appear on site in (from memory) the classical thread.

Galapagos Duck – “The Removalists”. Ex+/Ex+.

I picked this up a couple of days ago.

I move records on often enough, and generally with no qualms. I did have seller’s regret regarding this Duck. But it wasn’t that strong. Seeing “Katy did” on Youtube wouldn’t have swung it if I hadn’t also seen a clean copy shortly afterwards. The clincher was that it was a trade for a couple of VV staples not readily found here and a couple of other bits and pieces (which I have already forgotten).

I am surprised to see that "Katy did" hasn’t featured in a swap before. Too obvious, perhaps? I won’t call dibs on it, but it is a contender.

Bah, just finished recording it on the off chance it hadn't made an Xmas swap but database say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post

I bought a first press of this today as I remembered it from this thread, completely unique like an early 'John Cooper Clarke' crossed with 'Ivor Cutlor' and myriad of artists and singers from all over Europe, he must have been a wonderful teacher.

Hailing from the same neck of the woods it seemed to connect straightaway, wonderful wordplay that had me laughing out loud at points. I would never have bought this or anything by him otherwise the cover belays the content within. Cheers GC, Jake truly made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    60 million euros.....sounds impressive doesn't it......until you realise that at current exchange rates*, that translates into £27.68 GBP....probably just about enough to buy Ben's Lemon Drizzle Cake pictured above...tempting....

Jake Thackray - 'The Last Will and Testament Of...' - Yippee, the vinyl gods answered my prayers for another Jake Thackray and here's a very nice copy of his first album. When I was a kid I always figured Jake as a little weird, I mean he was too old to be a pop star but then his songs seemed to make too much sense for an old person. He was twenty-nine when he recorded this so I now hear him as a young man and realise what a complete one-off he was, and how much he was influenced by French songwriters, chiefly Brassens - some superb stuff on here, including his 'Brit Bossa' entry 'Scallywag' (see that thread) and little gems like 'The Cactus'...

And finally.....

'The Warriors' (OST)
    Microdisney - 'The Clock Comes Down The Stairs'

Two from 'Vinyl Planet' that didn't meet my stringent 'crackle emissions' control and so will have to be returned....hey!...I'm not working today!...let's go to MACCLESFIELD!!!....

Don't fret - there's still plenty of catching up to do....

*I'm not much good with money - this figure is from my accountants at Leech Brothers, who've done a great job of keeping me just clear of the poverty line for over 40 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I bought a first press of this today as I remembered it from this thread, completely unique like an early 'John Cooper Clarke' crossed with 'Ivor Cutlor' and myriad of artists and singers from all over Europe, he must have been a wonderful teacher.

Hailing from the same neck of the woods it seemed to connect straightaway, wonderful wordplay that had me laughing out loud at points. I would never have bought this or anything by him otherwise the cover belays the content within. Cheers GC, Jake truly made my day.
    A pleasure. Amidar - I'm only surprised that a fellow of your calibre hadn't encountered him earlier. I personally find having a sense of 'Yorkshireness' (and being of a certain age) are distinct advantages in appreciating the finer nuances of JT's work, but they're certainly not essentials - enjoy!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Always seen the albums around especially the first but somehow always dismissed them as something completely different. I have vague recollections of him on TV the more I've youtubed turning 40 certainly helps, despite him being 29 when he recorded his first.

My 70 odd year old fellow Leeds born dad's reaction to my new found love "Yeah I remember him, always on 'Yorkshire TV, rubbish!" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    A pleasure. Amidar - I'm only surprised that a fellow of your calibre hadn't encountered him earlier. I personally find having a sense of 'Yorkshireness' (and being of a certain age) are distinct advantages in appreciating the finer nuances of JT's work, but they're certainly not essentials - enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    "Yeah I remember him, always on 'Yorkshire TV, rubbish!"
    ...yup, that's precisely what I was talking about!....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

He was a revelation to me when I first heard him via a friend lending me a CD. My thoughts on Jake from a while ago are on my blog:
    https://downstairslounge.wordpress.c...jake-thackray/

Nice read thanks Agnes, I have the joys of 'Jakes Progress' on the way and 'Bantam Cock' too. Your'e right there is something a lot deeper as you peel away the layers of mirth. I like the wonderful what I can only described as a kind of non-plussed but happy melancholy.

Northern or not he's a bit marmite but I would wager there's something anyone over 25 can relate to on his first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    He was a revelation to me when I first heard him via a friend lending me a CD. My thoughts on Jake from a while ago are on my blog:
    https://downstairslounge.wordpress.c...jake-thackray/
    Last edited by amidar; 20-02-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Thanks :)