Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: October finds 2015

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Thanks , still trying to figue out how a Chilean raerity ends up in Devon, guess I'll never know
    And neither will I know how a Liverpool band acetate ends up in a Swedish car boot sale. I was just leaving empty-handed, cursing the new 1£ visitor parking fee, when I saw a small pile of LPs. Inbetween them I found this:

After some googling I found there was actually a Liverpool band called Roadrunners, active from 1962-66. They have a website which seems to be pieced together, and it says "t the time Mike Hart left the band in 1965, we were under contract to Philips/Fontana in London, where A&R man Jack Bauerstock had produced quite a few tracks, including at least one with Jimmy Page on lead guitar. None were released." So it works out that it is this band, and that they don't seem to have that much memory of these recordings.

The bad news: there is a small warp that causes the needle to skip for most of the record. Annoyingly enough, the parts I could play sound really good, espec. Mr Pitiful.

This is the first acetate I've found, so advice is welcome. I've now understood it's delicate and that I should avoid playing it. I guess the nature of the acetate makes it hard to salvage it, so is this a framing prospect?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Wow, Cratedigger - that's a big 'OOOOOFFFTTTT!' I reckon, since neither track appears in their discography - and the Roadrunners were a key band in the Merseybeat scene. Never mind framing it - you should contact their website and tell them about it - it's a fantastic story!...you might find yourself famous on Merseyside - congratulations!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

@Tom B. That Roscoe Thomas is a nice find. Nice price? I picked up a copy of Calvin Stewart for two quid but it has a label tear, yours looks minty! Great track.
    record licker

Found quite a few records last week but this one sticks out, know nothing about him but loving it, kind of psychedelic country singer songwriter thing:

http://www.discogs.com/Tom-Rapp-Star...elease/1829117

Cant find the whole thing but here's one track:

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Found quite a few records last week but this one sticks out, know nothing about him but loving it, kind of psychedelic country singer songwriter thing:

http://www.discogs.com/Tom-Rapp-Star...elease/1829117
    Tom Rapp's previous band was Pearls Before Swine, they're Folk with some Psych. You might check them out if you like the solo.
    See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Ah, never come across them, ta for the info, am digging his solo, one track in particular, late entry into the swap unless the previous entries database says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by spirito santo View Post
    Tom Rapp's previous band was Pearls Before Swine, they're Folk with some Psych. You might check them out if you like the solo.

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    @Tom B. That Roscoe Thomas is a nice find. Nice price? I picked up a copy of Calvin Stewart for two quid but it has a label tear, yours looks minty! Great track.
    It was a job lot so all the soul 45s here were about £2 each, plus a lot more I didn't bother to list. Yes, minty condition.

Picked up this r&b monster this morning. One side has a film of plastic which looks like a glue job gone horribly wrong, but the business side plays fine

I saw a record box of albums at the car boot this morning and asked to have a look, "they are all Irish" she said,
    "that's OK, I like a bit of Irish" I replied and this is what was in the box all for 50p a pop and in near mint condition too.
    I was especially pleased to find the first one for it's beautiful sleeve alone, I do have to get up at 6am to find these things y'know!

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    Wow, Cratedigger - that's a big 'OOOOOFFFTTTT!' I reckon, since neither track appears in their discography - and the Roadrunners were a key band in the Merseybeat scene. Never mind framing it - you should contact their website and tell them about it - it's a fantastic story!...you might find yourself famous on Merseyside - congratulations!
    I have contacted the band, but I'm not holding my breath. The website was created in 2000 and I can't see that it have been updated the last years.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

If they can salvage something from it and even if you don't make any money from it gotta be worth a 1000 karma points!

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    I have contacted the band, but I'm not holding my breath. The website was created in 2000 and I can't see that it have been updated the last years.

What's the 'rubiyat' one all about gardener?

So these are the phase 4 lp's I mentioned stumbling on in the Gratis thread. There were lots more, some I had others that were comps and some of less interest such as accordion based stuff probably pop back when they reduce them. Someone spent a lot of money collecting these and looked after them too:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The percussion ones in the second pic were minted up, infact I have a spare (non gatefold) of 'percussion in the sky' if anyone wants it, thinking about it Werner's 'on the move' is maybe a spare too, not sure. The Alan Tew features 'John Paul Jones' on bass duties. Edit: Listening to the 'Twelve Star Percussion' album this Sunday afternoon and its brill!

Next lot were picked up from the shop next door apart from the private press and the moon one which was from Preston last week.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tom Rapp - Stardancer Loving this psych/country effort as said earlier.

JSD Band - Travelling Days Bit too Irish for me. (sorry HG)

Gerry Rafferty - Same Comp of early stuff on Transatlantic.

Journey to the Moon Voice recordings to NASA and back of the 69 moon landings.

The Saltney Ferry CP School - 'Young Ones Make Music' Private mono press, mixture of hymns and trad songs with a 'Young Ones' cover I think. Not listened yet,it could be gold although I suspect it sounds not unlike one of my hymn practice mornings circa 1984. Man I hated hymn practice with a the passion of Christ. EDIT: So anyway finally got around to listening to this whilst ripping records and the 'young ones' cover is instrumental and quite quaint so its given me an idea for the swap mix and a theme of sorts.

Various Artists - The Golden Hits of Soul Allegro Cash in of soul covers, could be good but sure I would have heard about it if it was.

Didn't have the heart to move 'Thomas' he'd probably piss somewhere to spite me if I did, twisted bugger that he is.

Ooops almost forgot this piece of barmy exotica from my main man Stanley too: http://www.discogs.com/Stanley-Black...elease/2116339

Must add after listening to this its his best work I've heard so far (and I've heard a few putting it mildly). I'm really pleased to find such an excellent copy. Essential Exotica if like me you're digging that kind of thing at the moment and British too!
    Last edited by amidar; 30-10-2015 at 05:58 PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tom Rapp - Stardancer Loving this psych/country effort as said earlier.

JSD Band - Travelling Days Bit too Irish for me. (sorry HG)

Gerry Rafferty - Same Comp of early stuff on Transatlantic.

Journey to the Moon Voice recordings to NASA and back of the 69 moon landings.

The Saltney Ferry CP School - 'Young Ones Make Music' Private mono press, mixture of hymms and trad songs with a 'Young Ones' cover I think. Not listened yet,it could be gold although I suspect it sounds not unlike one of my hymn practice mornings circa 1984. Man I hated hymn practice with a the passion of Christ.

Various Artists - The Golden Hits of Soul Allegro Cash in of soul covers, could be good but sure I would have heard about it if it was.

Didn't have the heart to move 'Thomas' he'd probably piss somewhere to spite me if I did, twisted bugger that he is.

Ooops almost forgot this piece of barmy exotica from my main man Stanley too: http://www.discogs.com/Stanley-Black...elease/2116339
    Cat refusing to budge again I see.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Next door neighbour is housesitting at his Dad's place and he's usually around there of an evening tarting himself about. Its messed up his routine and he's not happy and when he's not happy he sprays. An only child, rescue Burmese, never again! When he's in a good mood he's the best cat ever but when he's got one on him which is often he's a nightmare.

We never named him 'Thomas' too obvious but no point changing it, his pedigree name is 'Jeffrey' ffs. Haha

Our other two cats are named 'Marvin' after 'Marvin Gaye' and 'Cecil' after Jazz Pianist 'Cecil Taylor' (I have to sneak these suggestions past the kids so they think they are actually choosing the name but really its my evil plan to name all our pets after jazz/soul legends. I couldn't get away with Dollar Brand or Sun Ra). Probably worth a thread 'pets named after musicians/bands'

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Cat refusing to budge again I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Picked up this r&b monster this morning. One side has a film of plastic which looks like a glue job gone horribly wrong, but the business side plays fine

if you have L1019 (like in the YouTube clip) it's the national issue. if you have L119 it's the first press local issue.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

What's the 'rubiyat' one all about gardener?
    it was released on Dolphin Records in 1977 and is spoken by Micheal MacLiammoir
    there is a 10" listed on discogs but it has the same sleeve as this album, mine has the gatefold inner below.
    The only other copy I could find was a lot tattier than this one but have not listened to it yet, it looks interesting though.

Certainly does, please update your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    it was released on Dolphin Records in 1977 and is spoken by Micheal MacLiammoir
    there is a 10" listed on discogs but it has the same sleeve as this album, mine has the gatefold inner below.
    The only other copy I could find was a lot tattier than this one but have not listened to it yet, it looks interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    if you have L1019 (like in the YouTube clip) it's the national issue. if you have L119 it's the first press local issue.
    Looks like I'll have to make do with the later issue...

Nice Irish haul, although I have to admit to only recognizing the Celtic Folkweave.

Boot sale this morning. I arrived late and there were plenty of leftovers.

From a booter this morning.

The World Of Tsai Chin

Quite possibly my favourite "wild" find this year.

College sounds like carnage. Probably close to the truth.

I bumped into a fellow digger this morning who I hadn't seen for a few months. "Only one in your bag today then?" I asked. He pulled out a Buffy Saint-Marie album. I only had two in my bag and one was a Buffy Saint-Marie album! (Not his bag I would say and after passing on a few Buffys down the years curiosity finally got the better of me and this was my first foray into her world).

A few interesting bits.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Billy Green - Stone ost. Well known I'm sure as Finders Keepers have put a reissue out. Loving Billy Green at the moment.Really like his playing with Doug Parkinson In Focus, he had a spell with the Australian King Harvest too, but I don't think it's him on Jumpin' Jack Flash. Haven't got around to seeing the film yet. Here's a snip of both

The New Mix - s/t.1968. Not a lot of info to be had about this one, which is surprising as it's on UA. The New Mix were from N. Carolina, formed after THe 18th Edition (also great) folded. The drummer from the Paragons was involved somewhere along the way too. Some of the New Mix went on to other N.C. bands like Jeremiah and The Spongetones. History lesson over, the music is really good, in a similar vein to some Strawberry Alarm Clock, similarities with Beast too, which will be a high recommendation for some, with nice driving fuzz solos in places, a touch of flute, good organ......it's worth picking up. Can't believe it's taken me this long to stumble across it.

There's plenty more good tracks. Love it.

The Blue Effect - Snakes ep. Czech 1969. 69 going on '67 in my book. Cracking ep. A couple of very good psychedelic pop tunes on it.
    Love the "snakey" wah wah on this little gem

This is just a stunner in my book

High Tide Formation - Fluffy / White Walls. Great Dutch 45. Get those safari suits on, loosen the old cravat a bit, elbows and bums out chaps....Irresistable, piano led groover, with a gouda soaked organ solo. Magic No Youtube clip!
    Both sides here. Head for Fluffy.
    http://82.170.168.20/nederbeat//inde...atid=14&id=169

Certainly does, please update your thoughts.
    ah, well maybe Sunday lunchtime is the wrongtime to listen to this (though I'd be hard pressed to think of a better time)
    as I just found it waaaayyyy too rambly, and with no music accompaniment or breaks in the talking it soon became a chore.
    Much better was the Larks They Sang... I could tell it was going to be good and it is, I am DJ-ing in a pub soon too so will
    be dropping tracks into the mix as several are sung without music and will really work with something on a Ghostbox tip behind them!

Nice finds everyone! That acetate looks the business. Shame you can't play it. Has anyone got one of those touchless laser turntables?? I'd really like to hear it.

@Treeboy - ace stuff as ever. I had that Stone OST and moved it on but listening to those clips I don't know why? That New Mix has gone on the list ta. The Blue Effect is a big face of mine, I think it sounds really Syd's Floydy.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Yes, a good point - perhaps you should try the Liverpool Echo, the local newspaper? I'm sure they'd be interested and could put you in touch with useful contacts. It would be great to see the tracks rescued and put out.

email: news@liverpool.com
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

I'll give it some time. I actually saw the lady who sold it at the booter today, and asked her if she knew where it came from but her only clue was that her late brother was in a band. No links to Liverpool or Hamburg that she knew of though...

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Nice finds everyone! That acetate looks the business. Shame you can't play it. Has anyone got one of those touchless laser turntables?? I'd really like to hear it.

@Treeboy - ace stuff as ever. I had that Stone OST and moved it on but listening to those clips I don't know why? That New Mix has gone on the list ta. The Blue Effect is a big face of mine, I think it sounds really Syd's Floydy.
    Bang on with the Pink Floyd when they were good comparison I picked up the New Mix lp pretty cheaply. Maybe somewhere along the line, some arbiter of taste declared it wasn't very good and nobody has really bigged it up since. Their loss.

Speaking of nice finds.....ahem! Show us the pron Lee.

Well howdy...haven't been around much, mainly through lack of anything interesting to report. Last few days have been modestly good though;

Stampfel and Weber, aka the Holy Modal Rounders. Amiably ramshackle versions of mostly 20s stuff. If I ever could face being in a band again, 'would be like this (or trying to)

Jimmy Webb - lovely versh of Galveston and the Nilsson- esque 'once in the morning'
    'Rifi' a private press of field recordings from Morocco in the early 70s - love this kind of thing but oxfam charged more or less book price for it......unlike.....
    Panama Limited - Indian Summer which I got for 99p. It's tatty, and looks like it might be noisy but plays surprisingly well, for a fairly quiet record. Pleased.

HG - that Johnny O'Leary record is the business and I bet the Micho Russell is too
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Jazz, Blues and Library, great haul, successful booting that mate!

Never mind the library records I'd have thought that 'Adderley' and 'Howlin Wolf' would have been snapped up at 7am. Saying that I get quite lucky with jazz at my local booter everyone after prog.

Whats the one middle right? looks jazz to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Boot sale this morning. I arrived late and there were plenty of leftovers.

Cant win them all, ah well file it away, go back to it at some point could be some useful spoken word in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    ah, well maybe Sunday lunchtime is the wrongtime to listen to this (though I'd be hard pressed to think of a better time)
    as I just found it waaaayyyy too rambly, and with no music accompaniment or breaks in the talking it soon became a chore.
    Much better was the Larks They Sang... I could tell it was going to be good and it is, I am DJ-ing in a pub soon too so will
    be dropping tracks into the mix as several are sung without music and will really work with something on a Ghostbox tip behind them!