Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: October finds 2015

Quote Originally Posted by d7bohs View Post
    Panama Limited - Indian Summer which I got for 99p. It's tatty, and looks like it might be noisy but plays surprisingly well, for a fairly quiet record. Pleased.
    Great find!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    So these are the phase 4 lp's I mentioned stumbling on in the Gratis thread.
    Nicely done, I have still never turned up a copy of 'The Sound Of Sight'!

Jazz, Blues and Library, great haul, successful booting that mate!

Never mind the library records I'd have thought that 'Adderley' and 'Howlin Wolf' would have been snapped up at 7am. Saying that I get quite lucky with jazz at my local booter everyone after prog.

Whats the one middle right? looks jazz to me...
    That's Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Potpourri.

I did benefit from the "I haven't sold these at my carefully researched eBay prices in the first hour so I'll knock them down to a quid to shift them" phenomenon. Also from the fact that some sellers were as lazy as me so weren't putting stuff out till late.

I'll keep an eye out. I think I found a 'a sound of sight' once but it was scratched beyond recognition.

I spoke to a booter recently who said he never puts his records out till late as he hates getting mobbed by dealers making him job lot offers and generally getting on his nerves and besides that as a music lover he'd rather his records went to someone who'd listen to them. He did me a good deal that day although he did sell me a warped 'Coldcut' album but couldn't complain. (I should take these peoples phone numbers really so I can browse their collections), the early bird doesn't always catch the worm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    That's Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Potpourri.

I did benefit from the "I haven't sold these at my carefully researched eBay prices in the first hour so I'll knock them down to a quid to shift them" phenomenon. Also from the fact that some sellers were as lazy as me so weren't putting stuff out till late.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    I picked up the New Mix lp pretty cheaply. Maybe somewhere along the line, some arbiter of taste declared it wasn't very good and nobody has really bigged it up since. Their loss.
    I liked it enough to include "The Man" on one of the swap CDs I did I think. Great LP anyway!
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Quote Originally Posted by d7bohs View Post
    'Rifi' a private press of field recordings from Morocco in the early 70s - love this kind of thing but oxfam charged more or less book price for it......unlike.....
    I love this. Dog barking dawn/sunset atmosphere throughout.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Speaking of nice finds.....ahem! Show us the pron Lee.

I'll post a catch up later in the week sir.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    Yes, a good point - perhaps you should try the Liverpool Echo, the local newspaper? I'm sure they'd be interested and could put you in touch with useful contacts. It would be great to see the tracks rescued and put out.

email: news@liverpool.com
    Yes, I also threw out feelers to the Liverpoolbeat.com site, and the Beatles Story. The later because it was founded by Mike Byrne, vocalist of the final incarnation of the band.
    I have some ideas about getting a rip out of it. Not sure if a weight on the label is enough. There's at least 1 cm empty between edge and run-in loop so maybe it would be possible to fixate at the edge for a rip.

Update:
    After experimenting some with needle pressure, maybe against better judgement, I have now managed to play through and rip both sides.
    I won't play them again.
    So they are covers of Otis - Mr Pitiful and Major Lance - Monkey Time. Mr Pitiful has a rawer feel to it.

Beatles Story replied quickly that they forwarded the mail to Mike Byrne, so let's see where that leads. This is starting to get exciting.
    Last edited by cratedigger; 12-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quick round-up from me, despite doing my best to be frugal and restrict myself mostly to trades (which has been successful in the sense that I've done some good trades, if not in the sense that I managed to uphold the restriction!).

Think I mentioned recently that I'm resolved to help my mate build up his nascent collection? Well, I decided to trade in some of my more archetypal VV / VG+ spares in order to lock down some more 'Mojo' stuff for my mate - behold:

With the help of Mr Divine, I acquired a minty swirl of 'Paranoid' which I filed while sending my VG- copy to said mate, along with this later press of 'Master of Reality' and a cheapo copy of 'Back In Black' acquired off the market. Pure riffage, which is my mate's express criteria. The more I listen to early Sabbath, the greater my outrage at how little credit they get.

Some more for said pal. I got all of the above in Rob's Records. The Parliament is a UK original as, for getting on for 25yrs, I've made do with an 80s repress. Pretty sure this is the LP that started all this record collecting insanity for me. So, it feels like squaring the circle to acquire an OG and send the said repress to my mate as he starts his collection.

Top two were from the market. The Gil Evans / Hendrix combo is pure VV / VG+ madness, completely wigged out and completely brilliant. One of my fave Smiths tunes, nice to get it on 12" and glad to have the Mozzer sleeve. Bottom two from Rob's again. The Joe Griffiths one looked the part, but is a bit twee and tongue in cheek and won't be staying chez moi. The Mary Hopkin is a spare, thought someone might want to swop me summat more Mojo!

The above all came from trading with Mr Divine. Protracted negotiating, but we always get there in the end! Much obliged mate, always a pleasure, never a chore. The Linda Hoyle is, of course, a reissue (but a bloody good quality one).

Top two were chazza finds. The WMS one has a passable version of 'Get Ready', but not hot enough for me to keep. Similarly, the 'swing' LP does actually veer off into cop-show territory, but doesn't quite hit it hard enough. The bottom one, where a German band - The Splash Band - cover some of John Carpenter's best known compositions. I should put this in context by saying that, since my mountain accident a couple of years back, there's very little that scares me. About five seconds into the theme from 'Halloween' and I got the shivers. That fookin' synth line is so deeply imprinted in me that I can't handle it, even done by a covers band. Not sure I can keep this in the house in case Myers comes to get me. The music's probably more young Joseph's sort of thing than mine anyway.

Three more off Mr Divine - so freshly arrived that I've not had time to listen yet (plus I'm only just clearing a backlog caused by knackering my needle and having to wait for an eBay replacement). And then one tiddler from Rob's last week that sounds like a conventionally countrified Nancy & Lee, but nowhere near as good.

Keep those Mojo classics to one side, ready for my next round of trades, yeah?!!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Thumbs up

I picked up the New Mix lp pretty cheaply. Maybe somewhere along the line, some arbiter of taste declared it wasn't very good and nobody has really bigged it up since. Their loss.
    Great LP Paul mate, I was happy to get one for $10 a few years ago.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    This is starting to get exciting.
    Haha, yes, I thought it might! - really CD, don't underestimate the enthusiasm that still exists for the Merseybeat scene, especially in it's home. I reckon those tracks will be welcomed back into the fold like conquering heroes and you'll find yourself to be the recipient of (as Cilla might have put it) a lorra lorra love...

Great work so far - keep us posted on developments!
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Ordered these from uk. Peacock was 12£ and Tracey 9£ (plus shipping) so great finds for me

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post

The more I listen to early Sabbath, the greater my outrage at how little credit they get.

To me, if I hear any 60's - 70's rock album, I always think: hmm, Black Sabbath is better.

Sure I'll listen to lots of other bands, but in the end, nothing beats the original.

Ok, Ozzy turned into a parody, but I don't think they don't get enough credit. Iommi is called the Riffmeister, and it is generally agreed that Black Sabbath are the founding fathers of metal.

And Sabotage is their best album!

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    I love this. Dog barking dawn/sunset atmosphere throughout.
    INdeed it is. Very happy with it
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Found quite a few records last week but this one sticks out, know nothing about him but loving it, kind of psychedelic country singer songwriter thing:

http://www.discogs.com/Tom-Rapp-Star...elease/1829117

Cant find the whole thing but here's one track:

One of my favourite songwriters
    Pearls Before Swine cut two albums for ESP-Disk 67-68. One Nation Underground and Balaklava. Both are great .... really deep songwriting.
    And great themes .... war, plague, hunchbacks, lepers, hallucinations, drugs...
    There's one track on Balaklava which is like the acme of acid-folk .... 'Images of April'. Such a trippy song.

After that he cut a series of albums for Reprise using a movable line-up of musicians. The highlight is probably 'The Use Of Ashes' but really they are all great.

He cut two final solo albums 72/73 inc. the one you got. Both have some beautiful songs on.... some are quasi-religious (perhaps spiritual would be a better word) but they don't preach, I find them very moving.

After that he gave up the music business and became a human rights lawyer.
    He re-entered the music biz in the 90s when he was sort of re-discovered by people like Damon & Naomi and the Japanese band Ghost. They covered his songs and he did a few concerts inc. an appearance in the UK I think, but I missed it. He made an album called 'Journal of the Plague Year' in 99.
    There's a couple of nice tribute CDs worth hearing too.

In the late 90s I emailed Tom and got a nice reply which I printed out and still have somewhere. I'm sure he is bored with people telling him how great he is but he was very courteous.
    I emailed him again about 5 years later but never got a reply.

There's a funny story about Tom Rapp. One night he was on a package gig with Genesis and Wishbone Ash. Philadelphia Tower Theatre, sometime in 1974.
    The promoter told him they were running late so Tom was dropped from the gig. He was given a minute to perform or something daft.
    Tom said "no problem, I'll go out and get a standing ovation in less than a minute".
    He went on stage and just said "stand up and applaud if you think he's guilty".
    Everyone in the theatre stood up and applauded..... *

Those ESP albums in particular sold a lot of copies .... over 100,000 each in the US but due to the ... umm ... creative accounting practices of Bernard Stollman Tom Rapp never recieved any royalties.

Sorry about long post .... you touched on an old favourite of mine

* was the time of Watergate if you didn't guess.
    galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

I hadn't listened to my Pearls Before Swine lps for donkeys years. I picked up Henri Schifter- Another Time on 45 which is a great, rocky, 45 with lashings of fuzzed up goings on. Saw the Rapp moniker in the credits, and delved back into One Nation Underground lp to rediscover what a magical little song that is (hands up, I'd completely forgotten all about it). I like both versions, but once again it's a case of discovering something new, being reminded of something old, but almost with new ears on.

nabbed an uber clean copy of Bonnie Prudden, Fitness for Teens, Warner Bros 1962 ( https://gripsweat.com/item/310771937...l-1962-wposter ) which has Bonnie herself exhorting said teens to all manner of leaping about and such over a variety of genres; mostly easy listening piano stuff for the warm ups/ warm downs, progressing to big beat for the more strenuous activities like the cat walk, knee wag and fiendishly difficult one arm leap frog.
    comes not only with bonus poster/ booklet showing how the exercises are done (might have to get that framed) but the back cover comes with some excellent advice to assist girls and fellows find a suitable husband or wife. For example: "Fellows you marry a girl, not a girdle"; "Your best bet is a cheer leader, gymnast, dancer, athlete or tomboy (the latter won't make cissies of your boys); and "Finally, look at his seat as he walks away. If it's soft and squishy, he's not for you."

quality doin's.

No worries mate that's what I love about browsing this site when a record brings out interesting stories and anecdotes. I find peoples passion for music infectious and its a really interesting record so thanks for enlightening me about the man himself.

*haha yep worked that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by bradx View Post
    One of my favourite songwriters
    Pearls Before Swine cut two albums for ESP-Disk 67-68. One Nation Underground and Balaklava. Both are great .... really deep songwriting.
    And great themes .... war, plague, hunchbacks, lepers, hallucinations, drugs...
    There's one track on Balaklava which is like the acme of acid-folk .... 'Images of April'. Such a trippy song.

After that he cut a series of albums for Reprise using a movable line-up of musicians. The highlight is probably 'The Use Of Ashes' but really they are all great.

He cut two final solo albums 72/73 inc. the one you got. Both have some beautiful songs on.... some are quasi-religious (perhaps spiritual would be a better word) but they don't preach, I find them very moving.

After that he gave up the music business and became a human rights lawyer.
    He re-entered the music biz in the 90s when he was sort of re-discovered by people like Damon & Naomi and the Japanese band Ghost. They covered his songs and he did a few concerts inc. an appearance in the UK I think, but I missed it. He made an album called 'Journal of the Plague Year' in 99.
    There's a couple of nice tribute CDs worth hearing too.

In the late 90s I emailed Tom and got a nice reply which I printed out and still have somewhere. I'm sure he is bored with people telling him how great he is but he was very courteous.
    I emailed him again about 5 years later but never got a reply.

There's a funny story about Tom Rapp. One night he was on a package gig with Genesis and Wishbone Ash. Philadelphia Tower Theatre, sometime in 1974.
    The promoter told him they were running late so Tom was dropped from the gig. He was given a minute to perform or something daft.
    Tom said "no problem, I'll go out and get a standing ovation in less than a minute".
    He went on stage and just said "stand up and applaud if you think he's guilty".
    Everyone in the theatre stood up and applauded..... *

Those ESP albums in particular sold a lot of copies .... over 100,000 each in the US but due to the ... umm ... creative accounting practices of Bernard Stollman Tom Rapp never recieved any royalties.

Sorry about long post .... you touched on an old favourite of mine

* was the time of Watergate if you didn't guess.

Picked up Gal Costa canta Caymmi. Has its moments, but not as exciting as India. Which are her essentials?

Got be her eponymous one from 1969 and its follow up simply called 'gal' probably the next 'legal' too but I'm not an expert on her later post tropicala output. I found a copy of 'gal costa' last month but turned out it was an early bootleg and a bit scratched but still chuffed to find it and it plays OK.

More catching up from the summer purchases.

Nina Simone - A Portrait Of Nina
    Didn't go to that many charities and boot sales on my vacation - spent more time in nature actually this year. This one was picked up in a charity for £1 and I actuallu thought it was just a compilation of tracks from other albums, like other records I've seen and sometimes bought in the Portrait-series. I thpught at best it could help direct me towards other proper albums to buy, but upon investigating I now suspect this is a compilation of various live recordings not available elsewhere? A lot of the playtime on this 2LP-set is dedicated to her political songs, which frankly is what I like best and there are some really amazing tracks to be found here. A pleasant surprise.

Woody Guthrie Sings Folk Songs
    This was the single purchase in an antique shop me and my parents drove to in the middle of the forest. It was crazy - the roads got more and more narrow and poorly kept until we were driving on a "horse and cart"-track through the forest expecting to end up in the middle of nowhere. We were seriously doubting the newspaper ad we'd seen in the morning. But eventually a farm turned up where the road ended. And there was a small run down antique shop in an outhouse. My mother spent £1 on a glass thingie, and I spent as much on this. Quite enjoying these American folksongs - has enough primitive hillbilly atmosphere for my taste.

Keith Jarrett ‎– Restoration Ruin
    This was from a local shop. Jazz musician plays pretty straightforward folkrock, mainly acoustic. And it works! It's a very nice little album, not too straight of course but not wandering too far out either.

Three post-punky/new wavey records from another local shop:
    Pylon - Gyrate
    Some kinda new wave/post-punk. Honestly sounded better when I needledropped it in shop. Not bad, but not as interesting as it first seemed either.

Rema-Rema ‎– Wheel In The Roses
    This on the other hand is nothing short of amazing - a great fusion of industrial music and postpunk with one of the best record covers I've seen in a long while. I hope to be able to find more interesting "post-industrial" stuff like this.

Instant Music - S/T
    And this 1981 German 10" is equally amazing though blending new wave with minimal synth and some avantgardism. I hope to be able to find more stuff like this as well.

And then it's a bunch of "Indian Classical Music" records that turned up in a local shop. Trying to explore the world of "ethnic" more, and these ragas are based on some kinda flutes/horns instead of sitars so it's nice and interesting. I handpicked these four after needledropping a whole lot of similar stuff and only when I came home did I notice 3 out of 4 where performed by Bismillah Khan so that's gotta mean his playing spoke to me extra much. Also the top two sleeves where really nice looking.

The Misunderstood ‎– Before The Dream Faded

From a local shop. Some garegey sounds here, slightly psychey at times.

And 2 jazz purchases from the internet:
    Archie Shepp ‎– The Way Ahead
    I like jazz but I'm rubbish at describing it. This is like a cleaned up light version of the anarchic skronkfests he also put out. I like those better I think, but this is certainly not bad either. He was a bit oc a chameleon trying out different styles and I like a lot of it, he is a rising star in my jazz collection.

The Human Arts Ensemble ‎– Whisper Of Dharma
    This is really expensive in first press, and not not expensive at all in this second press. Freejazz bought on a whim (low price and I wanted to order that Archie Shepp anyway). It's very free though, but the first side is very laid back and mellow, a bit dreamy. Second side is hysterical though and not really my cup of tea.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Great score on those 'Bismillah Khan' albums 'well jell' as the kool kids say. I have a bunch of his stuff on mp3 someone passed on to me its lush.

Re: Gal Costa

Yeah, agreed - first two self-tithes ones (both 1969?) are essential. The one with psychedelic pencil drawing on the cover has Os Brazoes as her backing band and is a fuzzed out monster!

Misunderstood- "slightly" psychey? Like the Elevators, early to the game, 1st 45 ('66) is a mindblower. 2nd likewise but folks had started catching up by then. IMHO of course. Great lp to have whatever. Game changer for me at the time.
    A great read is "Like Misunderstood" by Rick Brown & Mike Stax. Context matters.

Misunderstood- "slightly" psychey? Like the Elevators, early to the game, 1st 45 ('66) is a mindblower. 2nd likewise but folks had started catching up by then. IMHO of course. Great lp to have whatever. Game changer for me at the time.
    A great read is "Like Misunderstood" by Rick Brown & Mike Stax. Context matters.
    I only listened throug it once, maybe I concentrated too much on the garagey sounds, which were excellent. Still don't think I'll liken them to Elevators though.

Worth persevering with though BB. I'm with you, on The Elevators.

So here's the final batch of catching up, from a small record fair last month:

Volker Kriegel ‎– House-Boat
    1978 fusion is of course dire territory. There's a fine line between cool&groovy and annoying&tedious - this one mostly end up on the right side of things.

Stomu Yamash'ta - Prison Song / Turris Campanarum Sonantium / Seasons
    This is not one of his percussive jazz/rock fusion albums but avantgarde modern classical percussion. Pretty nice listen though a few times it gets a bit too arty-farty for my taste. The mostly mellow second side is all good, first sida has ups and downs.

Jerry Goldsmith - A Patch of Blue OST
    Soundtrack that has its moments but overall is too bland.

Dizzy Reece ‎– Possession, Exorcism, Peace
    Great jazz record with a pretty sparse and stripped sound. First side is a suite about possession and exorcism that includes a jazz arrangement of theme from the Exorcist and two selfpenned pieces loosely based on Oldfields piece. Second side Peace, kind of a suite again but based on meditative music from the East with lots of sitar, drones and exotic percussion.

Charles Austin, Joe Gallivan & Voices ‎– Peace On Earth
    A strange but cool record - avantgarde choir composition backed by weird bubbly electronics and some "late night saxophone"-jazz type outbursts. This will not be everyones cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quincy Jones - The Pawnbroker OST
    Jazzy soundtrack with some really good crime jazz including the frantic and supercool Rack'em Up that alone makes it worth having in your collection.

Tony Scott ‎– Music For Yoga Meditation And Other Joys
    Kinda ambient raga-jazz with just clarinet and sitar. Quite pleasant and relaxing if you're in that mood.

Nannie Porries - I Thought About You
    Swedish vocal jazz with some standards plus some hipper pop tracks of which my favorites are the version of Dylans It's Alright Ma, and the fantastic headnodding folkjazzfunk version of Ode To Billie Joe.

Keith Jarrett - Death and the Flower
    Mellow and moody jazz, quite laid back but not without a groove. Very nice to listen too, a bit dreamy.

New landings from the last day or two.

[IMG][/IMG]

Soft Machine - 1st on Probe with the revolving cover. Reading the Robert Wyatt book prompted me to pick up the og issue. The Big Beat reish did me proud for years, but it's that old holding the og in your hands and making the link feeling. Probably a deep seated psychological problem which spurs me on to such meaningless acts, but I'm stoked to have it. And it's wonderful as you all know already.

Tony & the mule station - Um um um um um um / Isbergues 2 a.m. B side is a cool, phased, Hammond heavy stepper, with some wailing fuzz thrown in for good measure. Lovely.

Swamp Dogg - Total destruction to your mind / Redneck. Great 2 sider well known, decided I needed it.

A brace of tips from North of the border. Hats off to LDJB, don't know where he digs them up from, but glad he does.
    Domenico Modugno - Come stai /Questa e la facciata b. Crazy b side in which a couple of people get topped in an echo chamber shortly before the band kick in with some funky drums and dirty, scratchy guitar. The orchestra from next door stick their head round the door......this is bonkers!

La quinta faccia - Tonight / Strano uomo. B side winner again. Very cool bass heavy groover, with organ, and the odd bell. Great drums too.

Buttermilk bottom - Tinker Taylor / Dear Mr Fantasy. 10 months into 2015, and my tune of the year arrives. Another one I can't believe I haven't come across before. BB take the Terry Reid tune - which is great by him and no mistake- and transform it into something rather special. The killer vocals are by Tommie Lee Bradley. Her delivery puts me in mind of Marriott at his best. She still sings with a band to this day.
    Both sides are really good, but Tinker Taylor........can't stop playing it.

Various charity shop stuff:

Found a pile of uk hip hop 45s yesterday in great nick - and a couple of indie/house 45's mixed in for good measure. Eric B & the K-9 Posse particularly good.
    Lucio Battisti is ok, sort of soft disco/rock, and the Mama Bea Tekielski lp is an odd mix of new wave pop and art rock shouting.
    The Malo lp has the Street Man track as comped on the Soul Jazz Chicano Power lp. Also, it's straight from the bargain bins at Amoeba!