Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: October finds 2015

No obvious credits for the tunes - suggests that they are trad vehicles. Excuse my vague responses - not my subject.

Sleeve mentions previous jobs backing Oula Baba, Spyro Skouras.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    No obvious credits for the tunes - suggests that they are trad vehicles. Excuse my vague responses - not my subject.
    I've had a quick look on youtube - but it seems there is nothing there to take a listen to from that LP - am intrigued though, a Greek record made in the US from 1967? I'd buy that on sight!

There was other Greek stuff there. A fair number of ex-greeks down under. I recall reading that Melbourne was the second biggest Greek city (if you follow).

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    There was other Greek stuff there. A fair number of ex-greeks down under. I recall reading that Melbourne was the second biggest Greek city (if you follow).

Indeed so!

My Dad had a great early 60s Greek bossa tune on a cassette given to him by one of his friends - no idea where it came from/title/artist - but still hoping I'll stumble over it one day...

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Sorry, a bit facetious on my part.

Not really because I can trade them, mainly because I wasn't expecting the music to be as good as this. I usually rip prog rock records to flac and then off them to someone who might be more appreciative to have the physical copy, and if I can trade them for something that has equal parts in breaks and samples then its a bonus.

I used to get extremely excited when I found such records but now im just in search of that golden loop, break, snippet. I've become somewhat frivolous towards records over the past year because of this habit. It's made going out and looking for/buying records a bit more taxing and i'm not sure if I enjoy it as much so discogs, cdandlp etc has slowly made the transition from becoming my bit on the side to a live-in partner.

So now im just happy to have a high quality format of certain stuff and trade off what I dont feel is a necessity to my collection. I don't know why but I always see certain records to be of a lower status than others regardless if they are worth anything of value or what genre it is.

[/URL]

I got this the other day and the guy was like "this is a one tracker but its got a monster track on it" Granted its the reissue, but I got it for 8 quid and I've heard it in parts but after listening to it in full I was scratching my head as to why he said it was a one tracker, I think from back to front its a brilliant album and hold it up as one of my favourites and wouldn't trade it.
    No problem at all mate .... my apologies if I came across as a fool .
    I can be one often
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

On first listen the Ian Bonighton track on "Reverberations" seems quite accessible. Not "Dance the Greek Lads" accessible. But not an assault on the ears.

Off to bed now.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Sorry, a bit facetious on my part.

Not really because I can trade them, mainly because I wasn't expecting the music to be as good as this. I usually rip prog rock records to flac and then off them to someone who might be more appreciative to have the physical copy, and if I can trade them for something that has equal parts in breaks and samples then its a bonus.

I used to get extremely excited when I found such records but now im just in search of that golden loop, break, snippet. I've become somewhat frivolous towards records over the past year because of this habit. It's made going out and looking for/buying records a bit more taxing and i'm not sure if I enjoy it as much so discogs, cdandlp etc has slowly made the transition from becoming my bit on the side to a live-in partner.

So now im just happy to have a high quality format of certain stuff and trade off what I dont feel is a necessity to my collection. I don't know why but I always see certain records to be of a lower status than others regardless if they are worth anything of value or what genre it is.

[/URL]

I got this the other day and the guy was like "this is a one tracker but its got a monster track on it" Granted its the reissue, but I got it for 8 quid and I've heard it in parts but after listening to it in full I was scratching my head as to why he said it was a one tracker, I think from back to front its a brilliant album and hold it up as one of my favourites and wouldn't trade it.
    This is on my Utrecht list Anyone got the 45? Want that too. Really good lp.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    This is on my Utrecht list Anyone got the 45? Want that too. Really good lp.
    Got both mate ..... essential releases
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Yep, great LP, certainly no one-tracker. Didnt know there was a 45, will check it. What happened to them anyway, one great LP then nothing?

The 45 is under The Mustard Family alias for some reason BB. Two cuts from the lp.
    Don't know of any other recorded work by the group/members, but Bill Durso passed away earlier this year.

I might be wrong but I think they are slightly different takes / mixes on the 45
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Ah - was wondering why I've never seen it, thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    I might be wrong but I think they are slightly different takes / mixes on the 45
    The 45 is much punchier....The LP is great, pretty much a solid listen.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"