Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: October finds 2015

Default October finds 2015

**sorry about the huge pictures - just switched over to Photobucket & I can't work out how to make them smaller...**

Good start to the month - I got wind of a soul 45 collection including what seems like a complete run of mint Contempo 45s. All pretty much perfect, the US singles with 25p import duty stickers on the sleeves. These are the best bits:

Melvin Bliss: Synthetic Substitution (classic break, of course)
    Roscoe Thomas: American Girl (nice sunny soul track)
    Funkees: Too-lay (afro funk)
    Masais: Across the Tracks (JB rare groove business)

Eddie "G" Giles: While I'm Away (b-side is a good r&b dancer)
    Calvin Stewart: You Turn Me On (loving this - youtube below)
    Ross Carnegie & Co: Open Up Your Mind (nice slow b-side)
    Great selection of James Brown 45s - original sleeves & all

Went on to SecondScene Records and picked up this longtime want - thanks Julian! Apparently the human whirlwind that is Sie Vulture was due the next day so I guess I got in just in time...

Here's a bit of a round-up from the past month or so, apologies if it goes on a bit & enjoy the vinyl pron...

Dropped in on the Bridport vinyl Saturday & scored a bunch of standards and trade fodder. A few keepers as well - surprised Mr Reza didn't snap up the first one

A few nice scores from the Little Record Shop in Crouch End:

Road trip to the east end of the UK turned up the following. The reggae 45s were the tip of a big iceberg apparently - the shop-owner had only got up to 'b' when I was there. Glenmore Brown is an absolute stormer. Hope to get back to see if he's made it further into the alphabet some time soon.

Focal Point 45 plays really well, & see nice pricing policy - doesn't sell for £50 so sod it, £5 it is... The Annie Bright has excellent backing from Hawkshaw, Cameron et al

Also made it out to West Wales last month - really sorry to see that the Tangled Parrot in Carmarthen has closed, though the owner has shifted his stock into a nearby antique market. And even worse news - Terminal Records in Haverfordwest is likely to close early next year when the delapidated shopping mall by the river is closed for renovation. They might be offered alternative space by the Council but seems unlikely. A few scores from these shops & a decent car boot:

and finally - longtime Scandinavian jazz want scored for a decent price:

Last edited by Tom B; 04-10-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post

Dropped in on the Bridport vinyl Saturday & scored a bunch of standards and trade fodder. A few keepers as well - surprised Mr Reza didn't snap up the first one

Ha, well I certainly would have done except I wasn't there the last time it was on , glad you found some interesting bits
    If you make it to the next one hopefully me and bacoso of OIR blog will have a table and be selling for a change

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Ha, well I certainly would have done except I wasn't there the last time it was on , glad you found some interesting bits
    If you make it to the next one hopefully me and bacoso of OIR blog will have a table and be selling for a change
    That explains it! Won't be able to make it in November but maybe one of the ones early next year

That Plastic sun album sounds awesome, on to the wants list, what year? recent?

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    That Plastic sun album sounds awesome, on to the wants list, what year? recent?
    Superb LP - 1970, according to Discogs

Just realised this song was written by Bill Fay - it's really growing on me. If I'm honest these two facts are not totally unrelated:

Focal Point 45 plays really well, & see nice pricing policy - doesn't sell for £50 so sod it, £5 it is...
    [
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To infinity - and beyond!

Just realised this song was written by Bill Fay - it's really growing on me. If I'm honest these two facts are not totally unrelated:

As I suspect you already know, the Bill Fay version surfaced on the collection of demos and the like FROM THE BOTTOM OF AN OLD GRANDFATHER CLOCK.
    It's a thing of wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by jakartajive View Post
    As I suspect you already know, the Bill Fay version surfaced on the collection of demos and the like FROM THE BOTTOM OF AN OLD GRANDFATHER CLOCK.
    It's a thing of wonder.
    Indubitably. Did he write songs for any other 60s artists? I spent a leisurely 10 minutes scouring the internet but didn't turn anything up.

Indubitably. Did he write songs for any other 60s artists? I spent a leisurely 10 minutes scouring the internet but didn't turn anything up.
    There's this, which was unreleased at the time.
    Don't think a Bill Fay take of it is out there anywhere (yet).
    Incredible song.

Nice selection Tom B. Focal Point is a bloody bargain. Lovely when it happens.

various weekend finds, some good some bad, and some just plain evil

a couple of 12" singles took my eye, the Beat Squad below, later morphed into Acid ravers Altern 8

the debut 7" by a very young looking Kirsty MacColl, this was also issued as a picture disc

curious 7" with a school choir on one side and early 70's folk rockers group Magna Carta on the flip

my mum found this and was excited when she told me "look, it's all fully signed" but alas,
    they were only pretend signatures, sorry mum - but hey, at least she tries bless her!

I have love for the early Caravan albums but have yet to check this one out

this was a nice find, an audiophile pressing in an exclusive sleeve of the Donald Fagen album
    so beloved of stereo test centres, you had to buy some fancy B&W Monitor speakers to get it

this odd looking sleeve caught my eye and it wasn't until I got home I noticed the fella lurking
    inside the rainbow was Jimmy Savile, someone had also tried to scribble out his face in pen!

Went to Prague last weekend on my stag do and somehow managed to get a bit of time to go to looking for records. Found all of these in about 15 minutes and decided that I'd do some more on the Sunday. Turns out no antikvariáts or record shops are open on the Sunday (no surprise really!)

Managed to find a few more Mini-Jazz Klub records to add to the collection (No 1 and No 14)

Francois Rabbath – “Multi-Basse”

This arrived from Japan shortly before my trip to blighty; the fruit of a trade with Plainstone.

Rabbath does double bass, solo, or pretty close to it.

I’ve got some from before this and, a couple of standouts apart, I’ve thought that his material let him down. Some of the compositions have a touch too much of the sixties, others are just unexceptional. And that is a real shame. Because time and again he generates moments of real intensity.

I’ve not seen anything to suggest what other players influenced him. Mingus? Rabbath does more arco work, though. It seems that he taught himself out of a book. Perhaps that is all there is to say. There is clearly a north-African element too, which for me brings a breath of the uncanny into it.

The key track from the earlier stuff is “Walpurgis” (Youtube).

I’ve read that for him his early work is “jazz” (his later work being ‘classical’). I’m not so sure. This isn’t classical, but it isn’t jazz either. Better just to say that by this stage the label has become moot. I can’t tell you if his technique has changed. But the material seems a little stronger, and I’m putting that down to the fact that the late sixties he have allowed him to shed whatever compositional constraints he might have had. On paper, the switch from drums to tabla looks like an unwelcome sixties cliché, but in fact it fits right in.

It all comes together in the first track, “L’Odysee D’eau”. For a short spell at the start I was thinking “whalesong” (correctly, as it happens). Next there’s a spell that for me evokes grace and strength. A sweetly mournful melodic lick. Organ in the background there, not too far away. Then, just over half way through, the percussion kicks in and raises the pace. Rabbath goes with them, tapping more into his lower registers for a propulsive riff. For me that is the cue for two to three minutes of deep indulgence. If you want a rough comparison, think of the ‘thief’ tracks from Roy Budd’s “Diamonds”. It is only rough because Budd’s work was meant to accompany a film; this is meant to stand alone. Great as Budd is, this is better. The flow is smoother and more urgent. It is less mechanistic. The high cries and warm lows of the bass draw you in more. You’ll want a bit of volume when you hear this.

And that is it at its best. “Thyossane” is the pick of the tracks on Youtube; I find the percussion slightly intrusive. I would have given “Incantation Pour Junon” priority. Maybe “Chagall De Basse” and “Horda” as well.

I believe I forgot to thank you properly for the swap, Plainstone. My apologies.

Actually, the front of the sleeve says “Les Uns Par Les Autres”. The spine and the label don’t give a title. I’ve seen it referred to as “Multi–Basse”.

I’ve revised my comments several times since I first wrote them. The reason being that I keep noticing further details. I aim to leave it alone from now on.

Oh, and dibs on “L’Odysee D’eau” for the Xmas swap, by the way. I can’t imagine not including it. The downside being that it will make my other inclusions seem prissy.

Chilean jazz fusion but to be honest much more like Libaek or Piccioni in places
    Whole album is on youtube

Got a more spiritual jazz or third stream vibe to me, Lovely stuff and if my ears don't deceive me that is the dulcet tone of a bassoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Francois Rabbath – “Multi-Basse”

This arrived from Japan shortly before my trip to blighty; the fruit of a trade with Plainstone.

Rabbath does double bass, solo, or pretty close to it.

I’ve got some from before this and, a couple of standouts apart, I’ve thought that his material let him down. Some of the compositions have a touch too much of the sixties, others are just unexceptional. And that is a real shame. Because time and again he generates moments of real intensity.

I’ve not seen anything to suggest what other players influenced him. Mingus? Rabbath does more arco work, though. It seems that he taught himself out of a book. Perhaps that is all there is to say. There is clearly a north-African element too, which for me brings a breath of the uncanny into it.

The key track from the earlier stuff is “Walpurgis” (Youtube).

I’ve read that for him his early work is “jazz” (his later work being ‘classical’). I’m not so sure. This isn’t classical, but it isn’t jazz either. Better just to say that by this stage the label has become moot. I can’t tell you if his technique has changed. But the material seems a little stronger, and I’m putting that down to the fact that the late sixties he have allowed him to shed whatever compositional constraints he might have had. On paper, the switch from drums to tabla looks like an unwelcome sixties cliché, but in fact it fits right in.

It all comes together in the first track, “L’Odysee D’eau”. For a short spell at the start I was thinking “whalesong” (correctly, as it happens). Next there’s a spell that for me evokes grace and strength. A sweetly mournful melodic lick. Organ in the background there, not too far away. Then, just over half way through, the percussion kicks in and raises the pace. Rabbath goes with them, tapping more into his lower registers for a propulsive riff. For me that is the cue for two to three minutes of deep indulgence. If you want a rough comparison, think of the ‘thief’ tracks from Roy Budd’s “Diamonds”. It is only rough because Budd’s work was meant to accompany a film; this is meant to stand alone. Great as Budd is, this is better. The flow is smoother and more urgent. It is less mechanistic. The high cries and warm lows of the bass draw you in more. You’ll want a bit of volume when you hear this.

And that is it at its best. “Thyossane” is the pick of the tracks on Youtube; I find the percussion slightly intrusive. I would have given “Incantation Pour Junon” priority. Maybe “Chagall De Basse” and “Horda” as well.

I believe I forgot to thank you properly for the swap, Plainstone. My apologies.
    I have that Rabbath LP - it is really lovely. Very deep at points.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh392 View Post
    Went to Prague last weekend on my stag do and somehow managed to get a bit of time to go to looking for records. Found all of these in about 15 minutes and decided that I'd do some more on the Sunday. Turns out no antikvariáts or record shops are open on the Sunday (no surprise really!)

What a fun haul there - all in 15 minutes!

I've been idly after that MAHAHGON for years - what's it like? Not sure i've ever actually heard it!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

I dig this 12"! Massive beat box sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Never heard that before, very nice

My girlfriend asked a guy at a market if he had any more records and the old fellow said he had a load in his garage. She got me his details and I went round there to find this

Can't really tell in the photos but it's packed full of LP's and 45s, boxes and boxes of them.

Spent an hour or so there going through some of the LP's I could get to as the boxes are stacked on each other, it's dark and not much room to manoeuvre...

Found all these, some in better condition than the others but i wasnt grumbling at a pound a piece

Don't have any john mayall records so ill give these 2 a spin some time.
    Not up on the katch 22 either but worth a gamble on the cover alone.
    Already got copies of the morricone soundtracks and the easy rider albeit with a different cover.
    The blue one is a folk compilation of I believe north eastern artists or performances performed up here. Again, to be played later.
    The byrds are cool, I have some other records by them but ain't heard this one.
    The neil young lp I have multiple copies of and is in my top 10.
    Playing the millie Jackson as I type this, it's ok. Soulful music and she has a nice voice. Couple of stabs to be sampled if that's your thing...
    The cure lp is a double and when I'm in the mood for them I'm quite taken by them.

Going back to the garage at weekend to see what else I can find in there. Need a dust mask, gauntlets and a head torch

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Actually, the front of the sleeve says “Les Uns Par Les Autres”. The spine and the label don’t give a title. I’ve seen it referred to as “Multi–Basse”
    I think the original French press is "Multi Basse". I sent you the Japanese one with the alternative cover, which I like better. Really pleased you got on with it, as it's definitely a favourite round these parts, and one that blew me away when I first heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    My girlfriend asked a guy at a market if he had any more records and the old fellow said he had a load in his garage. She got me his details and I went round there to find this
    Lawdy! Hope you're going back mob-handed to go through the rest. Looks like there could be loads of goodies in there!
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Going back to the garage at weekend to see what else I can find in there. Need a dust mask, gauntlets and a head torch
    Don't leave the Culture Club record behind!!!!
    Joking apart that looks ace - can't wait to see what you pull from the very depths!
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by pencilface View Post
    What a fun haul there - all in 15 minutes!

I've been idly after that MAHAHGON for years - what's it like? Not sure i've ever actually heard it!
    Need to give it another spin but there's a couple of good tracks on there, I was the same. Cheap enough to buy on Discogs but begrudged having to pay for the postage. Think it cost me about £2.70.

Little fact for you:

Millie Jackson's cover there was also borrowed for Themes International's Library LP "The Sound of Soul" by Alan Parker.

Bananas

Deliciously fair

Global loose

Worth it alone for the box talk.

giantchicken presents;

MACCLESFIELD 2: THE COCK IN TREACLE!

On my last visit, which yielded a bumper vinyl haul, I learned that Macclesfield was famous for it's association with the silk industry, but remained unaware that it is known colloquially as 'Treacletown' or even just 'Treacle'. This stems not from the presence of Messrs Tate & Lyle in the town, but apparently from some bizarre incident in the town's past where a horse and cart carrying barrels of the dark sticky stuff came to grief on the cobbled streets and a great commotion broke out as the poor folk of the parish helped themselves liberally to this rare sweet treat utilising whatever utensils were at hand. Thus, taking a slightly different route into the town on my return visit I was met with the above pub, which seemed very appropriate given that I am of course, a giant chicken.

This cock was in treacle seeking dark stuff of a different kind, the shiny black and round variety, but despite this seemingly fair omen, the subtitle to this inevitably disappointing sequel might as well have been 'The Law Of Diminishing Returns'...still, I did find a few things...

'Greece is... The Music of Mikis Theodorakis' - Surely, I thought, there must be more to Greek music than 'Zorba's Dance' and jaunty taverna tunes played on bouzoukis? This scholarly looking actual Greek album, part of a series released 'to introduce the listener to the music of the country of Greece' seemed a good place to start. But straight away, as I listened to Side One , Track One, ('Zorba's Dance'), doubts began to creep in. I listened on, in the hope that some rather more interesting titles such as. 'Pain', 'Cyclamin' and 'The Dream' would confirm my belief. But they didn't really - in fact this is mostly 'Zorba's Dance' and jaunty taverna tunes played on bouzoukis - that'll teach me to be clever....on the positive side I did find the vase you see on the table with it, which goes quite nicely with the 'Butlin's Beachcomber Bar' ashtray I found on the 'bay. What would you call that style exactly?...Porcupine quills?...dunno...answers on a postcard, please...

Some 45s...

Iggy Pop - 'Real Wild Child (The Wild One)' - 80s chart period Iggy - it's what it is....

The Human League - 'Boys & Girls' - I recently posted up Prince's 'Girls & Boys' and declared it to be one of my less favourite Prince efforts, and so it is in reverse with the League. I love the League, but this appears to catch them in a key transitional phase when their lineup was only the singer and the guy who operated the slide machine, and the material rather betrays this...

Robert Palmer - 'Looking For Clues' - I'd rather forgotten about this track which is rather clever with it's hectic pace and overall tightness - still wholesomely funky but also looking ahead to the more regimented sequencer led dance music of the next decade, kind of organik-motorik...

Paul Weller - 'Shadow Of The Sun (Live)' - Probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd been sharp eyed enough to notice that this was a single given away free with the New Musical Express, but as it turns out the remixes of 'Sunflower' and 'Wildwood' on the flip are actually quite good...

Jimi Hendrix - 'Purple Haze'/'Foxey Lady' (sic) - A handy 'put it in your box and you'll always have some Hendrix in your....erm, box' double 'A' for DJs - thanks Warner-Reprise!...oh, and it's 'Foxy'...no 'e'.....

The Kinks - 'Deadend Street' (sic) - Hooray! For ages I'd been moaning that you never find OG Kinks singles out in the wild anymore so it was good to finally prove myself wrong - it's a nice copy too and that misprinted title means it's worth four times it's usual value!......and it came in a Red Bird sleeve which I will take as a sign that I will soon close in on some Shangri-Las goodness....oh, and the flipside's killer....

Freda Payne - 'Band Of Gold' - a bootleg obviously - I have the original, but wondered what was so good about the track on the B-Side, 'Bong, Bong, I Love You Madly' by Vince Castro, that someone would go to the trouble to bootleg it? Clever lateral thinking to this boy's digging y'know...

...that'll teach me to be clever...

..and finally....

Captain Beefheart - 'Unconditionally Guaranteed' - I had a couple of ropey albums to return to 'Vinyl Planet' from my last visit and although I had a dig around the shop I couldn't really find anything that was pressing my buttons. I suppose I could have insisted on my rights and demanded a refund, but the sight of the proprietor's other half with a child in the pram minding the shop stung me with guilt so I did what I do in these situations and went to fill a hole in the classic collection. This EX Italian copy by the Captain seemed to fill the bill nicely and Mrs Proprietor was kind enough not to ask for the extra two quid I now owed them - very decent. I didn't know this album too well and although it started out strongly with 'Upon The My Oh My', a thought occurred to me as the album progressed...'You know, this is actually a bit soppy? It's like the Captain's in luuuurrrrvve....' Not quite sure how I'll deal with that....I prefer the Captain when he's on the pull - and I need his encouragement!

There were a few more finds in Treacle, but they'll be appearing on the classical thread in good time....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    The Human League - 'Boys & Girls' - I recently posted up Prince's 'Girls & Boys' and declared it to be one of my less favourite Prince efforts, and so it is in reverse with the League. I love the League, but this appears to catch them in a key transitional phase when their lineup was only the singer and the guy who operated the slide machine, and the material rather betrays this...
    It is indeed in their transition to mega pop stars but I really like this 45 - it's shambolic and amazing they were allowed to release it as a potential chart troubler. I think the band was down to one actual musician at this point. I particularly like the B side ode to 'Tom Baker'. Shame you never got the sleeve which features full on, scarf wearing Tom close up.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Never heard that before, very nice
    Thanks , still trying to figue out how a Chilean raerity ends up in Devon, guess I'll never know