Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    I love this site
    I would almost certainly have left most of those records behind if I'd seen them and I'm sure I'd have been wrong (with the exception of the Judge Dredd record which is really really bad)
    Fuz - I know there's loads of them but it would be great to have a run down of what's good and why you picked them up
    I picked them up on a hunch that they might be good, have a redeeming feature or at very least I hadn't heard off the artist before... it's all an education process. I could tell you more about how i whittle down the odds and my digging pointers / rules - but then I'd have to kill you!

Seriously though, too many to process... posting up the spreadshot pictures gives people the idea about the sort of listening direction my ears are going in. I know people just want a list of good records in the finds threads - but that's just boring... if there's any you want to know about just ask.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by collectionneur maniaque View Post
    Looks like great fun to me
    I almost have 2 of them :
    Oddly enough i did find too that hype polluted Black Soul LP last august & bought it out of shame!
    Did you play it already ? Not me
    And that unloved Big Sound comp has LX Chilton connections i think.
    Looks the part doesn't it? Weird mix of afro french disco with moog and a track called "Indian Music"... too much of the disco for me though.

The Big sound comp was bought for the cover to be honest but does contain some decent power pop with the Ramones drummer...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I'll wager that it wasn't ever played on daytime Radio 1...
    Safe bet, but the odds are pretty short!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Plenty of interesting looking stuff for those winter nights there. So glad someone else likes The Detroit Cobras.
    Rockin... love both sides Cha cha twist / Hey sailor, but that's all Ive heard... any other recommendations?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Fife Reivers ... been looking for this for eons !!
    Cool stuff mate. Hope I get the pleasure of hearing some of it in the not too distant future
    I heard I missed you in Newcastle at the weekend - hopefully that was fruitful for you, that collection sounds bananas... Yes it's been too long since I heard you spin Sie... any more news on the Morecombe night?

Fife reivers has been a longtime want for me ever since Mr. Divine introduced me to it, i never thought i'd stumble across it in the Irish hinterland... Cheap but not in the greatest nick, shame as its great.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    Yes, it's primitive and odd. Had a recording on tape many years ago but never found the LP. Some interesting stuff out of Spaceward.
    It's very charming in it's ambition and naiveity. Whaterver the price it commands is, I rather suspect is built on the legend of the studio rather than the record... but it was unknown to me when I picked it up - is there anything else to know about it Col?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Nice finds on the Gambler, AD 33, Nottingham Castle Rock, and Hunter Muskett. If you decide you'd like to part with the Gambler or the AD 33, PM please.

Curiosities: Who/What is the Max LP? Same for Friday Girl? Also the Lanercost single? Folk, maybe?

The Ashdon Wait used to fetch a bit of a price, but has come down significantly the past few years.

Anyway, love to see what you have to say about the above. Nice haul, thanks for sharing.
    The Max Lp is Max Handley, with people like Chili Charles, Fuzzy Samuels and Doris Troy... a bit disjointed tbh and I'm not sure what the celtic artwork has to do with it. I quite enjoy the "Troublemaker" track but nothing to get excited about.

Friday girl is a private press on JDC from 1979 by Jim Cozens & Dave Croft. Mostly folk even with some synth in places but it does veer alarmingly towards pub rock in places...

The Lancercost 7 on Deroy is rather pleasant folk, which seems to have been to promote a shopping mall in carlisle called "The Lanes"... I like it a lot.

Ashdown Wait is pleasant pp folk but doesn't deserve a large price tag imho.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    How's your Portugeese Matron? I've an incredible Brazillian accordian record without a word of English i could use some translation...
    Yeah - the forro lp looks great. I can have a crack at translating if you PM me. The title means "With Camarao there´s forro in every corner"
    I think there's a good Rahbani instrumental on the Loulou operetta, too, but I don´t know which volume it´s on.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    What's the Max LP?
    Black & white cover, celtic design, impossible to google.
    Very eclectic mix, think I've had (or have) about 7 of the LPs.
    Should be some decent glam (or Elvis impressions) on the Cahir O'Doherty LP.
    Not much on Fran St.Claire AFAIR.
    See above for Max...

Cahir is an entriguing beast, did he really manage to forge a career out of Elvis Impersonating in late 70's Ireland? I quite like his take on What I'd say on this but more a curio than audio treat.

Fran St. Claire is best forgotten about tbh.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Yeah - the forro lp looks great. I can have a crack at translating if you PM me. The title means "With Camarao there´s forro in every corner"
    I think there's a good Rahbani instrumental on the Loulou operetta, too, but I don´t know which volume it´s on.
    At this stage i'm just struggling to identify the artists name... because I want more! I take it the artist is "Com Camarao"?

I never thought I would be lusting after an accordion music record but here I am slave to the music... I've never heard this sort of thing before... hard to describe - manic frenzied accordion accompanied by in your face latin percussion and hard hard drums... I can only imagine what an evening of this music would do to an enthusiastic audience!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

At this stage i'm just struggling to identify the artists name... because I want more! I take it the artist is "Com Camarao"?

I never thought I would be lusting after an accordion music record but here I am slave to the music... I've never heard this sort of thing before... hard to describe - manic frenzied accordion accompanied by in your face latin percussion and hard hard drums... I can only imagine what an evening of this music would do to an enthusiastic audience!
    He´s called Camarao, master of the sanfona accordion from Pernambuco, who worked with Luis Gonzaga (the king of forro), and other Pernambuco accordion kings such as Sivuca and Hermeto Pascoal. He died in april this year.

Forro is brilliant - really addictive folk music with a strange, tough breezy vibe that seems to be native to the north-east of Brazil. I always suspect there´s links with cajun music because of the accordions and triangles, but I don´t think there´s any connection.

Gonzaga's your main man, but there´s loads more. the forro on vinyl blog is immense, and full of hidden jewels.

Splendid hats, too.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Fife Reivers ... been looking for this for eons !!
    If only you'd told Rockprof. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/THE-FIFE-REIV...-/131171824398
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    Hello, I've been looking for that Tommy LP for years. Recorded at Spaceward, Cambridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Ashdon Wait used to fetch a bit of a price, but has come down significantly the past few years.
    The Ashdon Wait is also local, Col, recorded at Duxford, (Ashdon being just outside SW). Found mine in Oxfam.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

The 2nd Ashdon Wait LP still commands a decent price, iirc, as it is much rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    The Ashdon Wait is also local, Col, recorded at Duxford, (Ashdon being just outside SW). Found mine in Oxfam.
    Yes, pretty sure that's been discussed here before. Checked up on the associated addresses a few years ago but no leads to be had.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    He´s called Camarao, master of the sanfona accordion from Pernambuco, who worked with Luis Gonzaga (the king of forro), and other Pernambuco accordion kings such as Sivuca and Hermeto Pascoal. He died in april this year.

Forro is brilliant - really addictive folk music with a strange, tough breezy vibe that seems to be native to the north-east of Brazil. I always suspect there´s links with cajun music because of the accordions and triangles, but I don´t think there´s any connection.

Gonzaga's your main man, but there´s loads more. the forro on vinyl blog is immense, and full of hidden jewels.

Splendid hats, too.

Many many thanks for that primer... just what I needed. I shall explore that blog with haste...

You're right - splendid hats.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I heard I missed you in Newcastle at the weekend - hopefully that was fruitful for you, that collection sounds bananas... Yes it's been too long since I heard you spin Sie... any more news on the Morecombe night?

Fife reivers has been a longtime want for me ever since Mr. Divine introduced me to it, i never thought i'd stumble across it in the Irish hinterland... Cheap but not in the greatest nick, shame as its great.
    Hey Fuz, good to see you're still trawling! Got a spare Fife Reivers, will check the condition if you need to upgrade...

I'm keen to hear that Tony Evans "Hot Pants" 45, someone mentioned it to me a while back. Guess I'll need to just hit Eclectic Mud one night!

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    Hey Fuz, good to see you're still trawling! Got a spare Fife Reivers, will check the condition if you need to upgrade...

I'm keen to hear that Tony Evans "Hot Pants" 45, someone mentioned it to me a while back. Guess I'll need to just hit Eclectic Mud one night!
    Yes please on the upgrade...! When oh when are you gonna hit the Mud? Please don't say November because I'm away working... sometime soon I hope...

Hope your well sir!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Rockin... love both sides Cha cha twist / Hey sailor, but that's all Ive heard... any other recommendations?
    I love this Otis Redding's cover they did.

Great eclectic selection of records you have there. It's the same kind of stuff I go for now: interesting looking records that nobody seems to care about. There is always some little gem hidden away that makes my day.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Great stuff Fuzz....glad to see you're still digging up unusual records.

Like Craig I'd be well happy to find that Smooth As Raw Silk.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Just get everything . One of my favourite live bands too....they haven't been over for a few years, but if you ever get the chance etc.
    2nd album is a killer
    Shout Bama Lama is on it