Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utrecht November 2015 - the finds

Default Utrecht November 2015 - the finds

Some text and reviews to follow later but here’s the pics. The last half a dozen were actually local finds before I went..

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

I can't edit the post so here are a few highlights picked out.

Gene Vincent - Bird Doggin' ep. Now I swithered about getting this as I have a lovely UK copy of the 45 on London. The French ep has 2 other great tracks from the LP on Challenge and it's a snip compared to the aforementioned 45 or even the US edition...so I ended up buying it. It is excellent.

Clothilde - marvellous swinging mademoiselle / Freakbeat action - a top drawer ep - it commands a price but I got a great deal on it.

The Psychose ep was off the same seller - funky and fuzzy - it's the same chaps that did 'La Drogue'

Lillian Atterer - this was a Mr Sayers recommendation and it's great.

Steve Ellis - great 45 off the 'Loot' OST. It's been on Le Beat Bespoke so of course it's overpriced and tough to find now. I saw 2 copies over the weekend and this one was half the price of the other. Think 'Mohawks with a vocalist' and you'd be there.

L'ours et la Poupee - its the State of Mickey and Tommy side you want here. Excellent freaky beat. This is a pricey ep usually but this one was a steal as the sleeve is a bit scruffy.

Sylvie Vartan has a couple of soul covers on it - nice for 3 eur

Dutronc - that's me 'covering up' my old copy - again a 3 eur boxer

Another Sylvie and a bunch of Eddy's - all from the same cheap box and all have something worthwhile on them including covers of 'Rescue Me' and 'Hard to Handle'.

Ford Theatre - great cheap ep of tracks off the LP

Samantha Jones - easy spare - lovely sleeve and label

Equals- spare stompy freakbeater for Steven

Jen-yves Breton - amazing private press freakbeat fuzz monster which I bought before the fair and arranged to pick up. I got it for a great price and it was made even better when I bought some of his other wares.

Noel Deschamps - another EP featuring covers of things. In this case it's the aforementioned 'Bird Doggin' - ace

Pussy Cat - see above - the Small Faces (and others) tune 'Sha La La La Lee' gets the swinging Ye Ye treatment

The Walkers - this is both strange and amazing, supposedly a ballroom cha cha cha tune but what you actually get is a surfy, fuzz laden instro beast - get a copy!!

Underbeat - doom fuzzy US garage psych

The Oxfords - fuzzy US pop psych thing - I actually managed to crack this styrene 45 on the same day I bought it - thank flip it's a cheapie.

Dave Davies - UKing up on this amazing 'Kinks in all but name' B side - astoundingly cheap too.

Marvin and Tammi - a shameful gap in the collection filled - thanks to Mr Divine.

Arizona Swamp Company - a track from the Rubble comps - gotta catch 'em all. Heavy and fuzzy - bit dirgy-ier than the Yardbirds.

Smith EP - this has the Smith track everyone wants on a handy 45!

the Loved Ones- great garage EP

Svensk - another Rubble track ticked off the list in a nice pic sleeve too.

Miki's Music Machine - Myself and Fuz often discuss 'ultimate versions' of certain songs and this Beatles tune is one them. I think this might be the backing track to Don Fardon's version. It's a great instro version whatever the provenance.

The Falcons - great boneheaded cover of 'that' song

Les Definis - grungy and fuzzy Italian rock

Canesten - strange advert 45 - I looked it up as I associate Canesten with one product in particular but this is a weird funky ad for their athletes foot cream - uses a Bosworth library track!

The Beatnicks - good two sider with the Artwoods cover on the B being my fave.

John Dankworth - lovely little OST ep for Modesty Blaise - thanks Cees

Timebox - I'm a big fan of Timebox and their blue eyed soul psych approach - this one has the pop sike side and the soulier side.

The Stellas - another great two sider - Mr Sayers fave 'Woolly Bully' is pretty good but the 'Fortune Teller' version is up there with Tony Jackson\s effort for me!

Manfred Mann Chapter III - nifty Portuguese ep with 'One Way Glass' on it. Fuz got one too!

Mike Wallace - Paul had a clutch of these spare so i traded for to 'cover up' on my copy

Dr West's Medicine Band - a tip off from Paul - insane popsike with all manner of guitar trickery and FX going on

John Smith - I like a Beatles cover as you all know but the main event here is the flip - moody and fuzzy

Wolfgang Dauner - I got rid of my copy of the Oimels LP recently so I was happy to pick up the 45 wich has the best two tracks (possibly)

Equipe 84 - great cheapie - Ladro (or Lardo is you like Craig) is the track

Inn Yard Performance - a big Sarge spin and a trade off Cees - thank you sir

The Untamed - not likely to find or afford the UK press on Planet anytime soon so this nice euro pic sleeve will do just fine. Ace fiery RnB!

The Wylde Heard - another slab of primitive garage

The Monks - great two sider. Amazingly abrasive for the time. Smashing

East of Eden - another gap filled in the collection. Cheap too.

Stone - it's taken 3 Utrechts to find a copy. I thought I'd blown it again when Paul secured one on Friday but a bit of perseverance and I nabbed one. A brac of Beatles covers on one side and a fuzz stomper on the flip.

Caravan - one of those 'oooh nice on a 45' moments.

Giant Crab - Fuzz, phasing etc.

Billy Nichols - a cheap copy of the only 45 off the LP which I'll never own an original of. Love it when you hear Marriots shouty backing vocals near the end.

Cellophane Mop - groovy bubblegum dancer

Electric Frankenstein - proggy top side and electro bee

Eddy, Los Sirex, Nino and sylvie - all punts - only two paid off. Nino and Los Sirex missing the mark for once despite great credentials.

Mahna mackay - great version of a VV classic. I gave away my last copy to Fuz as he liked it so much. I'm glad to replace it.

Pegasus - ace funky rock with breakz
    Jess Junior - a Fuz find. Blew us all away. Luckily he had 2 copies and I found a spare Tennessee Ernie Ford - sixteen tons '65 earlier. A trade was done!

The Virgin Sleep - nice customised label too!

13th Floor Elevators - 2nd single. Ace as you know. Incidentally I saw 3 copies of the French ep over the weekend - prices ranged from 1500 to 3000 euros. That's quite a price difference.

The Gonks - great, if daft, beat.

The Deviants. - rough but cheap and amazing

The Nite People - their psychiest side I think

Boum boum- one I didn't have. It's poor

Amazing Turkish instro groover

The Soul Agents - sleeve issues obviously but a great raw RnB two sider.

Adjeef the Poet - a 45 I never thought I'd be coming home with. It's on the rough side but plays amazingly well. Quite simply one of the best Dutch 45s there is. Big drums, fuzz and the odd electronic. Thank you to Mr Sayers for pointing the stall out to me.

Electric Hair - a spare - I found a few of these and passed them on - the ‘sunshine’ is a great funky and bleep version.

Claude - the one with ‘I fought the law’ on it - this was me sleeving up!

The Equals - got given this - one of the few ‘songs that the Clash covered’ 45s I was missing and a gap in my Equals 45 collection.

Rocking Ghosts - myslef and Treeboy spent a while on a Danish stall listening through a bunch of amazing looking 45s. The owner told us that he’d had a box of rare 45s stolen the previous day - full of mod psych beat etc - he reckoned about 6,000 euros worth! Paul was playing through some stuff when the B of this one started up - appropriately spooky and slowish and then the backwards guitars kick in - amazing..I was jealous Paul had copped that one…seconds later I find another copy for 7 eur - hurrah. We did buy a bunch of other stuff with the guy and despite our feeling sorry for his loss we haggled a discount

Melvis and his gentlemen - they don't sound like gents to me! Another one off the Danish stall and another one where as Paul was spinning his copy I found another. Great 100rpm versions.

Shakespears- more uptempo rocking but with added treat sax sounds. Ace.

T Bone Walker - a gift from the mighty Treeboy. Great 'blues goes mohawks' 45.

...Zapata - funky rock instro workout with big drums
    Last edited by LDJB; 25-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    The Walkers - this is both strange and amazing, supposedly a ballroom cha cha cha tune but what you actually get is a surfy, fuzz laden instro beast - get a copy!!
    I've got another of their 45s ("After The Sun") which is comically bad - the howlingly out of tune guitar makes the solo in "Canyons Of Your Mind" seem almost Hendrix-esque by comparison.

Top finds BTW. I'll track down an affordable Clothilde one day...
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Amazing spread there - great work!

Inn Yard Performance - a big Sarge spin and a trade off Cees - thank you sir

^^^^^^^

I have a spare of this up for trade of anyone needs?

Vincent Gémignani - Modern Pop Percussion (Concert Hall) - LP - bit of library action

Michael Ranta – Yuen Shan (Metaphon) - LP - fantastic record from a top label

Guem Et Zaka Percussion – Percussions (Le Chant Du Monde) - LP - easy on the ears

The Apostles – Black Is Beautiful (EMI) - LP - a few floor numbers on here

The Wings - Kissing You So Hard (Capitol Records) - LP - a few more floor numbers on here

Amadou Balake – Taximen (Sacodis) – LP - quite mellow with at least two rug cutters

Super Mama Djombo – Super Mama Djombo (New Dawn) - LP - reissue

Mixed Grill – Cry For Peace And Love (Funky Planet) - LP - possibly unoffical but a peach of an LP

Black Merda – Black Merda (Funky Planet) - LP - again possibly unoffical but a top LP

SJOB Movement – A Move In The Right Direction (Academy LPs) - LP - second copy for home listening. Always try and bag a second Academy/Voodoo LP for not club plays

Akwassa – In The Groove (Funky Planet) - LP - again possibly unoffical but about 800 cheaper than an OG

Various - I am Drum (Woah Dad!) - LP - Looks unoffical, but appears to be genuine - fantastic collection of raw Afro-funk with at least one Popcorn number as the opener- Hats of the bloke who saw me buy the Apostles and recommend this after I put it back - phew..!

Fanga – Noble Tree / Crache La Douleur (Cosmic Groove) - 12" - required for the long version of Crache La Douleu

Various Artists - Kwaito EP: The Roots of South African House (1990-1994) (Egoli) - 12" - South African grooves

Paul Ngozi / Ngozi Family - Sugar Daddy / My only Friend (Chris Eddition) - 7" - Lee and Craig tip off - sounds a bit rough, but playable (proper scan to follow) - not comped - know one track from a mix

Hi-Fives – Belina Mon Amour / Ba Kibushi Batano Na Kenya (Pathé) - 7" - mild funker on one side

Geraldo Pino - Shake Hands / Power To The People (Suzumi Records) - 7" - well know groover

Family Teach – Party Time / Party Version (Ober) - 7" - Reggae/Calypso number for a change of pace

5 Revolutions - Too Many Girlfriends (Zambia Music Parlour) - 7" - raw groove

Dani – Scopitone (Ducretet Thomson) - 7" - long time one bagged on the Friday...

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

As I said in another thread if my camera hadn't died I'd have had many more pictures...

But I did manage to capture the trade of the weekend... the Gregg's pasties for Austrian tea!

Some general farting around in the hotel room...

The fair IS amazing and I can't understand why anyone into records in any way wouldn't get alot out of the event, although the price of travelling from outside of Europe and taking anything more than what you can stuff into luggage does make it more expensive...

Apart from all the vinyl, there's at least three other aircraft hanger sized rooms full of interesting curios and antiques, exhobitions and crazy characters walking around... For example and for no apparent reason there was a whole line of these...

and I managed one picture of a stall before the batteries died...

So after returning home and a battery charge here come the finds... I wasn't going to go to Utrecht this year but about 10 days before I was offered the chance of free accomodation for the weekend so it became irresistable... So glad I did.

But it meant I arrived unprepared, with no wants lists physical or mental. I approached the whole thing as a way of spending some time with good mates old and new, and spending a bit of cash on records... Serendipity has always played a large role in my digging anyway.

I have to say Friday was a bit fraught and I wound up not getting very much, but on Saturday I hit my stride and found a table whose bargin bins had seemingly been left untouched and I couldn't help myself - as well as scoring a few goodies cheap, I bought a load of albums I already had but were just so cheap and great I couldn't leave them behind... they were soon rehoused at the traditional falafal and fart-a-thon record listening session that night though.

Sunday was a more chilled affair, cashing in a few tips picked up from the lads the night before, and landing a couple of white whales.

Thanks to Lee, Ian, Boney, Treeboy and Cees whence a few of these came...

45's

Any questions just shout...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Superb set of records Lee. I expect to see Electric Frankenstein as the 1st track on your next 'Mud playlist.
    Don't really know where to start with my lot. Probably won't be for a few days as I've got things happening in the evenings, this has had a few plays since I got back. Among the first batch of records I picked up. A Sayers tip. Five Euros FFS.....remind me again, why do we go? Derrr!.

Your haul popped up while I was composing this Fuz. Once again, a great set of records. Nice set in the room btw

Sod it just a bit before I hit the sack.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Day one haul, a few more highlights.

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Hi-Fives – Belina Mon Amour / Ba Kibushi Batano Na Kenya (Pathé) - 7" - mild funker on one side
    Great record by Congolese expats. Drums remind me a bit of the Orch. Sinza - Ils Sont Nees 45.
    Last edited by Plainstone; 25-11-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Wow, I see two copies of the Mike Wallace & The Caretakers 45. Found that one earlier this year, and the B-side is where the action is.
    Was it a cheapie?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Wow, I see two copies of the Mike Wallace & The Caretakers 45. Found that one earlier this year, and the B-side is where the action is.
    Was it a cheapie?
    It sure was / i've no idea really - as it was a gift... Take a bow Mr. Treeboy, and once again thanks for your generosity!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Great stuff chaps!

Fuz - amazing set of records - those which I knew are ace and those which I don't also sounded ace.

Treeboy - as above with the addendum that I'm still jealous of that JC Heavy...next year!

John - an interesting pile - shame you had to dash off before we heard them all although you did turn all heads with that afro wah wah stormer!

Andrew / Craig / Nige / everyone - get 'em posted up for the lads.

@Treeboy - I notice a certain 45 lurking just on the right hand side of the 'bed shot' funnily enough I didn't include it in my finds either

A top secret Mr Divine spin!

I think it's officially raer now though

...I'm keeping on updating my 'reviews' when I get a minute by the way

Stupid i-pad, just spent ten minutes typing up my finds and the browser has wiped it as I moved between windows. Grrr...

that afro wah wah stormer!
    The gigs kicked off early this year- after the falafel action it was straight to the wrist band exchange with about 10mins to spare before Magma came on stage - last minute change of gig - spotted Magma were on the same time as Destroyer (same venue different room)...

The Paul Ngozi & Ngozi Family 45 - there is little information on-line about the record, but it looks to be the 45 after this one

Recommend for a similar sound is the Ngozi Family ‎– Day Of Judgement LP on Now-Again Records. As is this 45 also on Now-Again "I'm Not Made Of Iron" - regular Afrodisa spin and cheap as chips...

I think it's officially raer now though
    I forgot to say thanks to Herr Divine for the Eurythmics 12" - well deranged vocal action with odd electronics - have to shoe horn this in the next OST mix...

@Plainstone - worth adding a clip - Hi-Fives "Belina mon amour" - wasn't too cheap, but super clean copy...

Also the Geraldo Pino "‎Power To The People" - the comp pictured in the clip below is worth picking up as its a solid end-to-end groover - even the reissue is a 50 Euro record - been out of print for a while

Last edited by MPFlapp; 25-11-2015 at 10:13 PM.

John, I'll echo what Lee said above, too bad we couldn't hear more of your finds at the hotel. The one we did was a killer. I really like the one in the clip above too. This stuff is a completely new avenue for me, and I'm quite keen to explore it a bit further. Have you done any mixes of that kind of thing? If so, I'd be up for giving it a listen. Has there been an African fuzz stormer thread before? I couldn't contribute, but I'd be all ears
    Lee, you've blown the cover on the Utrecht Hotel Room Exchange by exposing that Eurythmics 45. Now the whole world & his dog will be all over it

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    @Plainstone - worth adding a clip - Hi-Fives "Belina mon amour" - wasn't too cheap, but super clean copy...
    Wasn't from the Octopus stall, was it? Their selection was one of the highlights of my trip a couple of years back.

One of the guys selling at our fair this Saturday was in Kenya recently and was taken to a shop that had apparently been closed up for years and still had stock in the back. I managed to pry a few 45s from his sale/trade bag before he headed down to Osaka. All super clean.

@Treeboy Herr Flapp is probably too modest to blow his own trumpet, but if you check the mixes section I think you should find a good few of his Afrodelicatessen affairs
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post

One of the guys selling at our fair this Saturday was in Kenya recently and was taken to a shop that had apparently been closed up for years and still had stock in the back. I managed to pry a few 45s from his sale/trade bag before he headed down to Osaka. All super clean.
    Looking toward to an ear full of these... Smoke me a kipper - Osaka here I come which by the calendar isn't far wrong ;-)

One from the "I AM DRUM" (WOAH DAD!) comp - almost popcorn...

Awesome records as ever chaps. The scale and variety of the buys never ceases to amaze me. When I win the lottery I'll join you in the 45 world.

I'll start off my Utrecht finds with a moan and the ones that got away. Firstly, I saw a Franz Auffray - Original Popcorn (Egg) for 100 Euro. Checked the condition but was concerned about fogging on the record. It could have just been from smoke, condensation and a wash might have sorted it but I had in my mind my last purchase from Utrecht last year that turned out to play like a dog and cost 150 Euro. So, I walk away and 5 mins later think I should really give it another look and play it on the portable but it had gone. That put a dampener on my Fri (especially when you see other copies priced at 350 Euro). Money (or lack of it) is a constant concern so records you'd be delighted to buy at home have to be ignored. I'll never get used to that so add the first two Brainticket LP's, Electric Banana, Cressida 1st LP, Samurai, Jigsaw 2nd LP and many others I'm trying to blank from my mind that I feel I should have got.

So with that moan out of the way here are the buys. Overall pretty happy with them (condition is all good so far) and if someone had said I'd be able to get some of these with the limited funds I'd took this year I wouldn't have believed them.

Spring - S/T (RCA Neon) One of my last buys on Sun. Was delighted to find this for cheap (considering all the others I'd seen throughout the fair had ranged from 700 Euro to 1200 Euro). Yep, bit of a sticker tear on the cover and a little nick that clicks twice but is otherwise perfect. Even better as I recently got this from the collection in Newcastle for twice the price but had to take it back due to a prolonged click. A great UK prog LP with memorable melodic songs.

Ian Carr - Belladonna (Vertigo) Again, really good price on this and although the vinyl isn't mint it certainly plays clean as you like. Well known jazz rock of course.

Head Machine - Orgasm (Vogue) One of those records you see on a lot of dealers walls although the French press is pretty common. The UK copy is way beyond my wallet and at least the sleeve design is superior to the UK copy. Good heavy rock with hints of psych. Super clean copy as well and again less half the price I saw elsewhere.

The Deviants - S/T (Transatlantic) Very happy to pick this up for super cheap and my first Deviants record. Just looking at you Lee for that booklet to make me really happy

The Greatest Show On Earth - Horizons (Harvest) You see lots of German copies of this so happy to finally get a UK copy at a decent price. Typical 1970 prog I guess.

Roundhouse - Down To Earth (Harvest) German only funky jazz prog I've been meaning to get for years.

Jigsaw - Letherslade Farm (Philips) Must admit this first LP wasn't on my radar as I was only after their 2nd but Craig confirmed it was worthy and I can never resist a mint UK poppy psych with heavier leanings, even when its not on collectors wants list.

Sundae Times - Us Coloured Kids (Joy) Similar to above really. I knew Eddy Grant was involved with other late 60's things outside of The Equals so did a quick youtube check and grabbed a nice cheap UK pop psych record. The last two sum up Utrecht for me. UK records I've never seen in the UK and if they were would be priced to buggery, at least in my part of the world.

JD Blackfoot - The Ultimate Prophecy (Mercury) Craig grabbed a US copy of this on Fri and found this UK copy for me the following day (cheers dude). We both agree the UK sleeve looks better than the US version. Great heavy psych and more.

The Fort Mudge Memorial Dump - S/T (Mercury) Always on the lookout for a US psych LP with female vocals so this nicely fit the bill.

Snow - S/T (Epic) My only purchase that I already own but knew Craig wanted a copy so slight upgrade for me and a cheaper copy for Craig (when his finances recover). Lovely popsike LP.

The Wind In The Willows - S/T (Capitol) I know this gets bad press and has since its release but I like light popsike so it suits me fine, especially She's Fantastic & She's Yours. Can finally get rid of my reissue. Oh and speaking of UK records only being in Utrecht saw a UK press of this with flipbacks and rainbow label...proper gave me the horn it did (60 Euro though).

Morning Dew - At Last (Roulette) Only knew this because of its online rep and when I noticed it for what I recalled was way below market value I grabbed it. Yep, its a German OG rather than US and the sleeve/record aren't perfect but still happy with it for the price. Nice mix of psych, country, ballads and just a damn good LP.

Morning - S/T (Vault) Endless Trip really rate this but I only know the one track via the Delay REM mix. Craig spotted this for me on Boney's stall so thanks again and many thanks Boney for the 2 payment method.

The Critters - S/T (Project 3) The next three are courtesy of a trade with Lee. Many thanks mate...looking forward to checking them fully but the youtube clips sounded ace.

Madrigal - S/T (SSS)

Dave Mackay & Vicky Hamilton (Impulse)

Little Richard - The Second Coming (Reprise) The only time I hit the cheap bins and this was within the first 5 mins of entering the halls but far from the record hall. Great 5 Euro action mentioned by Paul (great buys mate) and basically if this stall alone was at a local record fair it would be one of the best stalls I'd have ever experienced at a fair! As each year passes I spend less time trawling the cheap bins at Utrecht for the fear of missing a well priced 'rarity' elsewhere but it does pain me to ignore them. If only the fair went on 5 days it might be possible to spend a day or two just doing the cheapies.

St Pauli Nachrichten - Various (Geton) As I walked away from the Original Popcorn stall gutted and I noticed this a few stalls down (still not in the main hall). I recognised the cover (or rather the hairy beaver gatefold!) on display as featured by Victor Kiswell in Dust & Grooves - NSFW http://www.dustandgrooves.com/victor...-paris-france/
    Oh well, I'll grab that as its a bit 'exotic' and seems like a decent price. Supposedly a record sold in pron shops. Has a bit too much dialogue on for my liking and the highlight is Rita's Sexology but certainly a quirky item. Still wish I'd risked the Original Popcorn record though
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Lovely stuff as ever Nige. You really should get your ears around a copy of that 1st JD Blackfoot 45. Just my opinion, but I reckon it blows the lp away.
    Day 2, a couple of highlights
    [IMG][/IMG] Ask if interested in any of the records

Sundays 45s

Found a seller with some Dutch 45s on my list. Some great tunes here.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Campag Record View Post
    Awesome records as ever chaps. The scale and variety of the buys never ceases to amaze me. When I win the lottery I'll join you in the 45 world.

I'll start off my Utrecht finds with a moan and the ones that got away. Firstly, I saw a Franz Auffray - Original Popcorn (Egg) for 100 Euro. Checked the condition but was concerned about fogging on the record. It could have just been from smoke, condensation and a wash might have sorted it but I had in my mind my last purchase from Utrecht last year that turned out to play like a dog and cost 150 Euro. So, I walk away and 5 mins later think I should really give it another look and play it on the portable but it had gone. That put a dampener on my Fri (especially when you see other copies priced at 350 Euro). Money (or lack of it) is a constant concern so records you'd be delighted to buy at home have to be ignored. I'll never get used to that so add the first two Brainticket LP's, Electric Banana, Cressida 1st LP, Samurai, Jigsaw 2nd LP and many others I'm trying to blank from my mind that I feel I should have got.

So with that moan out of the way here are the buys. Overall pretty happy with them (condition is all good so far) and if someone had said I'd be able to get some of these with the limited funds I'd took this year I wouldn't have believed them.

Spring - S/T (RCA Neon) One of my last buys on Sun. Was delighted to find this for cheap (considering all the others I'd seen throughout the fair had ranged from 700 Euro to 1200 Euro). Yep, bit of a sticker tear on the cover and a little nick that clicks twice but is otherwise perfect. Even better as I recently got this from the collection in Newcastle for twice the price but had to take it back due to a prolonged click. A great UK prog LP with memorable melodic songs.

Ian Carr - Belladonna (Vertigo) Again, really good price on this and although the vinyl isn't mint it certainly plays clean as you like. Well known jazz rock of course.

Head Machine - Orgasm (Vogue) One of those records you see on a lot of dealers walls although the French press is pretty common. The UK copy is way beyond my wallet and at least the sleeve design is superior to the UK copy. Good heavy rock with hints of psych. Super clean copy as well and again less half the price I saw elsewhere.

The Deviants - S/T (Transatlantic) Very happy to pick this up for super cheap and my first Deviants record. Just looking at you Lee for that booklet to make me really happy

The Greatest Show On Earth - Horizons (Harvest) You see lots of German copies of this so happy to finally get a UK copy at a decent price. Typical 1970 prog I guess.

Roundhouse - Down To Earth (Harvest) German only funky jazz prog I've been meaning to get for years.

Jigsaw - Letherslade Farm (Philips) Must admit this first LP wasn't on my radar as I was only after their 2nd but Craig confirmed it was worthy and I can never resist a mint UK poppy psych with heavier leanings, even when its not on collectors wants list.

Sundae Times - Us Coloured Kids (Joy) Similar to above really. I knew Eddy Grant was involved with other late 60's things outside of The Equals so did a quick youtube check and grabbed a nice cheap UK pop psych record. The last two sum up Utrecht for me. UK records I've never seen in the UK and if they were would be priced to buggery, at least in my part of the world.

JD Blackfoot - The Ultimate Prophecy (Mercury) Craig grabbed a US copy of this on Fri and found this UK copy for me the following day (cheers dude). We both agree the UK sleeve looks better than the US version. Great heavy psych and more.

The Fort Mudge Memorial Dump - S/T (Mercury) Always on the lookout for a US psych LP with female vocals so this nicely fit the bill.

Snow - S/T (Epic) My only purchase that I already own but knew Craig wanted a copy so slight upgrade for me and a cheaper copy for Craig (when his finances recover). Lovely popsike LP.

The Wind In The Willows - S/T (Capitol) I know this gets bad press and has since its release but I like light popsike so it suits me fine, especially She's Fantastic & She's Yours. Can finally get rid of my reissue. Oh and speaking of UK records only being in Utrecht saw a UK press of this with flipbacks and rainbow label...proper gave me the horn it did (60 Euro though).

Morning Dew - At Last (Roulette) Only knew this because of its online rep and when I noticed it for what I recalled was way below market value I grabbed it. Yep, its a German OG rather than US and the sleeve/record aren't perfect but still happy with it for the price. Nice mix of psych, country, ballads and just a damn good LP.

Morning - S/T (Vault) Endless Trip really rate this but I only know the one track via the Delay REM mix. Craig spotted this for me on Boney's stall so thanks again and many thanks Boney for the 2 payment method.

The Critters - S/T (Project 3) The next three are courtesy of a trade with Lee. Many thanks mate...looking forward to checking them fully but the youtube clips sounded ace.

Madrigal - S/T (SSS)

Dave Mackay & Vicky Hamilton (Impulse)

Little Richard - The Second Coming (Reprise) The only time I hit the cheap bins and this was within the first 5 mins of entering the halls but far from the record hall. Great 5 Euro action mentioned by Paul (great buys mate) and basically if this stall alone was at a local record fair it would be one of the best stalls I'd have ever experienced at a fair! As each year passes I spend less time trawling the cheap bins at Utrecht for the fear of missing a well priced 'rarity' elsewhere but it does pain me to ignore them. If only the fair went on 5 days it might be possible to spend a day or two just doing the cheapies.

St Pauli Nachrichten - Various (Geton) As I walked away from the Original Popcorn stall gutted and I noticed this a few stalls down (still not in the main hall). I recognised the cover (or rather the hairy beaver gatefold!) on display as featured by Victor Kiswell in Dust & Grooves - NSFW http://www.dustandgrooves.com/victor...-paris-france/
    Oh well, I'll grab that as its a bit 'exotic' and seems like a decent price. Supposedly a record sold in pron shops. Has a bit too much dialogue on for my liking and the highlight is Rita's Sexology but certainly a quirky item. Still wish I'd risked the Original Popcorn record though
    Those are some great 'finds' my friend!

I could have bought the records you bought

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mescal View Post
    Those are some great 'finds' my friend!

I could have bought the records you bought
    Me too...Roll on Wednesday for our next listening session Nige mate.
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

A few sounds to go with my Sunday picture.
    All Dutch.

Here's what I picked up:

LPs:

Broselmaschine S/T - lovely German folky psychy LP, well-known to many here I'm sure
    William Onyeabor Atomic Bomb - nice to find in decent condition
    Karen Dalton In My Own Time - Dutch press, a few duff tracks but mainly excellent. I see Adele is a fan...
    Nass El Ghiwane S/T - very nice drone-y Moroccan business

Hackamore Brick One Kiss... Been holding out for this at a decent price, nice to finally pick one up
    JR Monterose Is Alive In... Another long-time want
    Fairport Convention - S/T - UK original press in very good nick, rude not to
    Trader Horne Morning Way - as above...

A couple of recent things...
    Kamasi Washington The Epic - Hadn't realised this was out - bought from Kamasi's dad on the merch stall
    I Am Drum - great African comp, as also bought by Mr Flapp. Only 300 of these I believe - well worth picking one up

45s:

Orchestre Poly Rythmo de Cotonou E So Plait Mi A - Deep jazzy sound from Benin, beautiful song
    Amara Toure Temedy / Fatou - Another lovely West African single, from Senegal
    Roger Damahouzan Wait For Me - JB style Ghanaian banger
    Johnny Ventura Bobine - Can't find much about this online, really catchy Colombian dance track

Lloyd Parks Keep On Moving - I always pick up Mala 45s, hits far outweigh the misses. Nice drum break on this one.
    Wendy Alleyne Can't Control My Emotions - Too late to put on my Caribbean swap CD but this is fantastic, down-tempo and soulful stuff
    Fadaul Sid Redad / Tayeh - Jaw-dropping Moroccan version of Papa's Got a Brand New Bag coupled with a banging garage track. Looks like some quantity of these has turned up recently.

Not sure I'll make it back every year but it's worth going at least once, to see what all the fuss is about.

@Tom B - Roger Damahouzan Wait For Me - banger indeed - I'd like one of those - have it on "African Scream" comp

Orchestre Poly Rythmo - winner too

I Am Drum - highly recommended.

@Nige - the record I was taking about whilst wandering similar to the St Pauli Nachrichten disk i by Ruud Bos "Naakt Over De Schutting" - there is a decent comp by him on vinyl as a try out...

Been enjoying the clips people have been firing up...

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    @Tom B - Roger Damahouzan Wait For Me - banger indeed - I'd like one of those - have it on "African Scream" comp

Orchestre Poly Rythmo - winner too

I Am Drum - highly recommended.

@Nige - the record I was taking about whilst wandering similar to the St Pauli Nachrichten disk i by Ruud Bos "Naakt Over De Schutting" - there is a decent comp by him on vinyl as a try out...

Been enjoying the clips people have been firing up...
    What's the story with naakt over de schutting?

Nice lp ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Johnny Ventura Bobine - Can't find much about this online, really catchy Colombian dance track

There´s a history of versions of Bobine (written in Spanish) here. Seems it´s originally a French Antillean song that passed through Guadelupe, Haiti, Dominica and Panama. I used to grudgingly play the Banda Blanca version at salsa nights when their Sopa de Caracol was a massive hit.
    Merengue really went bad in the 1980s
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Right, take three. My stacks look quite small compared to everyone else's - guess that's what you get for choosing to grift through the cheap boxes and hunt alone! Although the bargain buckets seemed to yield less treasure this time (seems to be decreasing each year), there were a few pleasant surprises. I've just pictured the collection keepers and left out the trade chud fodder...

BIG ONES

Belladonna Of Sadness - always nice to catch up with the Finders Keepers crew, would have been rude not to pick this soundtrack up in person.

49 Greek Street - compilation of Sandy Roberton tracks, not featured elsewhere. Synanthesia is the highlight - cheers Boney!

The Prisoners - Wisermiserdemelza - had this many years ago, but foolishly got rid. Weird thinking that in 1983, these dudes were ripping off tracks from 1968 (15 years previously). This album is now over 30 years old, making it twice as retro now as the source material it was influenced by at the time...

Charanjit Singh - Synthesizing: Ten ragas To A Disco Beat - a bizarre Indian electronic album from 1983, now credited as (unknowingly) being the first acid house record. Not quite sure that description quite fits, but a great listen. Was amazed this was still on a wall on the Sunday (especially since it was in really clean shape, amazing for an Indian record), so some heavyweight Glaswegian haggling and the amazingly strong pound ensured this came home for a (relative) bargain price...

WEE ONES

The Doors - Peace Frog - for the last five years this has been on my Utrecht wants list, but it wasn't until this year that a copy very nicely dropped into my lap...

Ofo - The Book - afro-funky gear. Not as good as the earlier Ofo & the Black Company 45, but what is?!

The Snap Shots - Hip Hip Hurray - well known phased modpsychdancer.

Juliette - L'Agent Secret - NOT the Petula Clark track, but only cost one measly Euro. That's, like, 70p or something - nuts!

Strange Brothers Show - Shakey Jakes - funky mod gear, nice UK copy.

Jigsaw - One Way Street - my first (and only?) "air-punch" moment of the weekend. The later version - had to go through every single on the stall I found this on, in case there was any other niceness lurking. There wasn't, but managed to pick up all manner of chuff in the process. What happens in Utrecht stays in Utrecht, right lads?! "ooh, I wanna dance with somebody..."

Elizabeth - Je Suis Sublime - I like to treat myself to at least one wee treat, and this "swinging madamoiselle" classic was this years.

Jigsaw - Tumblin' - another Jigsaw classic, another cheeky wee bargain.

The Spoetniks - Flying Monsters - cool Belgian phased gear, seems to be pretty under the radar.

Rufus Thomas - Memphis Train - R'n'B banger, nice minty demo upgrade copy.

Keith & Ken - I Won't Let You Go - one of the best vocal ska tunes, and already a Divine club classic. Except the version I had was credited to the Blues Busters (also a great version) and nearly led to two punters having a fight over its true identity. Hopefully this EP will avert any future "Glasgow kisses"*.

Alton Ellis - Only Sixteen - you never see Studio One 45s up this neck of the woods, so when you see classic rocksteady in nice shape for a nice price, you just grab!

Barely had a chance to listen to these in the preparations for the big Divine birthday bash on Saturday... Great to see everyone and time to get saving for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post

Juliette - L'Agent Secret - NOT the Petula Clark track, but only cost one measly Euro. That's, like, 70p or something - nuts!
    This is by Sheila (of B.Devotion fame) but you'd probably worked that out.
    Last edited by Milesago; 01-12-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: inability to spell

Lovely stuff Andy. Lusting after a number of those finds. A good year for pulling the Jigsaw records, with Nige bagging the lp too. Tumblin' is a long time want of mine, had to laugh when you told me how you got it.
    Have a great time on Saturday.

Testing this as it has been a long while since i posted!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg