Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 finds

[QUOTE=reza;572698]There was about another 200/QUOTE]

Crikey - that a nice bit of stock to get arm or two's worth from... ;-)
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

@ reza

Get anything on clover, afrodisia, gapophone, essiebons and EMI Nigeria

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...

Like that Doves LP on Clover Sound and the Silvestre Mendez number...

Quite a haul there fella...
    The Sonny Okosun was financed by Eddy Grant and he produced a few tracks on that LP. I play Papa's Land a lot, it's got a great second half in an an afrobeat style.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
    The Sonny Okosun was financed by Eddy Grant and he produced a few tracks on that LP. I play Papa's Land a lot, it's got a great second half in an an afrobeat style.
    Bit rough video, but "Papas Land" with moves ;-)

$5 at the market has me chuffed, even if it's a bit beat up. No Miss here - just a Hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
    ISTR you putting this on a swap disk for this site a wee while ago...

A number of recent finds here - on and off over the last few weeks. All from the same source. I've mentioned some already. I hope to comment in full in due course (esp. now that I again have a stylus).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 06-12-2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Now with added eye candy

Quote Originally Posted by spacefin View Post
    $5 at the market has me chuffed, even if it's a bit beat up. No Miss here - just a Hit.

Nice catch!

I picked this up on Friday on my way home from work. Quite odd, slightly off-kilter but very nice. Nelson Angelo E Joyce (1972).

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    There was about another 200 , I just picked an assortment , I'll go back and re listen to your likes , and let you know what the one's your interested in are like , that bottom left one with the religious cover is as I remember is hymnal preaching durge but I'll re listen to that one as well
    Another 200! Those would sell like hotcakes here in Japan. Shame they're not that great. I would have also bought a big stack if I'd seen them. Cheap?

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

@Funktionnaire THAT is a proper haul. Looking forward to hearing more about their provenance.

@Turboellis give us a shout if you're ever up in Tokyo
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Funktionnaire - incredible selection there, the improvisations in acoustic chambers looks the business!

I only had time for a brief listen to that Ros Bandt before my stylus went south. I'll need to live with it for a while. I did say in another thread that I was toying with the idea of a track from it for my swap CD. But I thought that I was pushed for time, and so on.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 06-12-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: "Ros Bandt" + weeding

A few things there are well out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Xann for the moral support in that respect.

Did any of you guys down under get a sniff of anything from that massive vinyl clearance in Perth? Don't know if it was a radio station or what? Apparently they set a flat $30 Aus per lp. Good for some things not for others. My mate went along, a bit after the main event and got a couple of things he was pleased with. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...
    Here you go warts an' all , what I remember as a religious album was only like that on one side so the track is from the b side

Gaetano Veloso and G. Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Lovely Lp

If you are at the sale and you see someone singing be sure to say hello.

Some awesome and very interesting finds there Funktionnaire, nice one mate! What's that 'Victorian Time Machine' all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    @Turboellis give us a shout if you're ever up in Tokyo
    thanks @Plainstone ... ditto for you if you come down to Osaka ...

Haven't been to the Kapital for probably 3 years or more ... you ever in Osaka?

The State library is selling off its collection. See the bottom of the Sculthorpe LP.

The first day was a polite scrum. No one joined me in song. I emerged with the Garrick, the Burrows, the Qualiton and Reverberations. I’ve acquired the others on-and-off since then.

It has been mostly classical of one kind or another since then. They’ve added new boxes most days to keep the serious diggers coming back. There has been the occasional bit of fresh jazz etc. But if there have been any particularly juicy morsels I’ve missed them. Today perhaps being an exception.

Most days I have been there I have been waiting when the doors open and have had the place to myself. After which, on to work.

Treeboy mentions $30, and that is a key issue. I imagine that most will find it deters a bulk punt. It certainly deterred me, and I’ve therefore seen any number of interesting looking ‘ethnic’ records come and go. We are thrown the occasional treat in the form of half-price days. I would suggest that the sellers are gradually getting a result. The records – including some complete chaff – still seem to be selling.

The last of the collection went out today. Forty plus boxes. Mainly classical box sets. Three/four boxes of separate records, with those being mainly classical. Also some blues, though. And some jazz. Four fewer jazz now.

Victorian Time Machine? I’ve yet to listen. Modern Australian classical/avant garde by the look of it. I recall reading somewhere that the Move label did that and Christian music (I have one of their Christian LPs).

I’ve only had the chance to listen once to one side of the Burrows. I was very pleasantly surprised. My impression was of interesting compositions and good arrangements. Playing was refined and considered. No false urgency. If the 70s blandness is there in nascent form, it isn’t yet a problem.

I mentioned the Eric Jupp version of “Kaffir Song” in an earlier post. Must do a ‘compare and contrast’.

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    Here you go warts an' all , what I remember as a religious album was only like that on one side so the track is from the b side
    Cheers fella - arrangements and Instrumentation are top...

Of the Afro-Religious themed records this one has to be top of the pile - one of these days I'll bag one - carpet burner if ever there was one ;-)

and

Judging by your post in the classical finds thread and this seems you've made some nice jazz and modern/classical/avant finds, you have a good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Victorian Time Machine? I’ve yet to listen. Modern Australian classical/avant garde by the look of it. I recall reading somewhere that the Move label did that and Christian music (I have one of their Christian LPs).

I’ve only had the chance to listen once to one side of the Burrows. I was very pleasantly surprised. My impression was of interesting compositions and good arrangements. Playing was refined and considered. No false urgency. If the 70s blandness is there in nascent form, it isn’t yet a problem.

I mentioned the Eric Jupp version of “Kaffir Song” in an earlier post. Must do a ‘compare and contrast’.

Ta. Probably luck playing a large part, though. I don't really know what I am looking for.

Something being (a) there and (b) cheap - those are significant factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Funktionnaire - incredible selection there, the improvisations in acoustic chambers looks the business!
    Looks amazing!

Side A recorded inside a water storage tank on June 22nd 1979 at Kardella farm near Korrumburra, Gippsland, Victoria using Sennheiser binaural microphones on a dummy head and a Nagra 1VS. The tank itself is also played and recorded along with the sounds of the environment.

Side B recorded inside a wheat silo on October 20th 1979 at Young township, Lambing Flat, NSW using condensor microphones and a Nagra 1VS.

Design by Zap Productions
    Thanks to Bruce Cantieni and Cliff James for access to the locations.
    Reminds of

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Monday morning Charity Shop haul

This sleeve could be Volume 1 of a new LP series, 'Now That's What I Call a Pipe'

I'm a sad sucker for these holiday entertainer records, hey look it's signed!

In the same box as the one above (obviously) I thought there may be a HRH connection, but it turns out
    to be a record by a chap called Brian Royal who also does a cover of that easy classic 'Feelings' and I would
    have been so disappointed if it too wasn't signed.

A surprisingly Funky soundtrack to a 1977 US TV mini-series I had not heard of before.

Possibly topping the 'Savile at Broadmoor' LP I picked up earlier this year is this string quartet album.
    Featuring the theme from Star Wars to Beatles tunes and all with the blessing of JS, it's signed by the band
    on the rear but his signature isn't real.

This was a nice find, a private pressing of an album featuring soundclips of interviews
    with the Sussex school staff and pupils on one side and music recorded there in the early 70's.

There were three copies of this 7" in the same box as the school record so I had no choice but to pick up one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

What an amazing cover. The font, the hair, the glasses, the jacket.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

A quartet.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Claggers - Someone / Umber rag. Terriffic b side. Floaty, acoustic guitars, whispy vocals, an almost Relatively Clean Rivers feel at the start.

The Image - Creation / Heartaches in between heartaches. Searched high & low at Utrecht for this. One popped up in my Discogs wants, so I bagged it. Mind blown wide open lyrics, great guitar sound. Top. B side is pretty good too, with some nice farty fuzz.

Aorta - Strange / The shape of things to come. I actually prefer the version of Strange on the lp, it's longer, a bit faster and punchier, with a mad instrumental bit, and a wibbly beginning. Still a good 45. I prefer the Max Frost version of the flip.

The Square Set - That's what I want / Come on. South African band. Very cool 45, great Hammond, flashes of brass, chunky bass, smooth vocals.....a winner. My copy is on N'gola records, made in Angola, and suffers from a bit of surface noise toward the end. Oh well! You can't have it all.