Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 finds

Ok, some of these are from late November, but I can never get the discipline to restrict myself to these monthly parameters!

Usual sources, a few from eBay, plenty from chazzers, some from Rob's and some from Anarchy (I accept the last two mean nowt to folk not from Nottingham!).

This first lot were from Rob's. Dead chuffed to get the LJIV 'Beatles' album after a recent 'win' on eBay went sour. Less chuffed to hear it being played on the latest Nigella series! The Ike & Tina comp is a cheap way to get hold of 'Bold Soul Sister'. The other two turned out to be less than my cuppa and will be included in my freebies later this week.

Another selection from Rob's. Nice, jazzy Bond themes. The Smiths for the mate whose collection I'm helping to kick-start. Spare of Brian Fahey and I thought I'd add Booker T to my very small selection of Christmas albums. The actual Christmas tunes are barely discernible under the MGs' trademark sound, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Still haven't heard any Christmas album as good as 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' though.

Had an afternoon mooching round some Derbys charity shops on Saturday and these were my first three purchases. All three are headed out (I've already got Au Pairs of course) but nice to pick up some slightly unusual stuff.

These were next door to the above. Top two are a bit too sedate for me. But well pleased to get another copy of the Ray McVay (big version of 'Vehicle').

These were mostly from Rob's on Friday. Smiths 12" for me, Cult 12" for my mate. My first foray into the world of Pesniary and what a strange world it is. Thumping break on 'Love' and plenty more on the lines of funky and interesting grooves elsewhere. More please! Jeff Beck Group is one of those that I've meant to get for ages, saw this one in an antique centre and it was in such clean condition that it was a no-brainer.

These were my online purchases this month. The Cousineau LP opens with two absolute killer cuts and this has been my 2015 white whale, which I've held out on going OTT on price on. This was pretty reasonable, even allowing for shipping from Canada, so glad to have got it at last though. I got the Jacques Tati LP in the same deal, bit of a one-tracker though. Annie Ross was (I think) an LDJB recommendation? Got this from Dean Rudland's Discogs - all about 'Cat Food' innit? Got Karitsat from a UK dealer on eBay, really cheap. Well known round these parts and you can't really argue with it. All in all, the interweb came through for me this month.

Some nifty trading action with Pencilface got me this ace selection. Always a pleasure. Just highlights the quality trading that can still be had round these parts. If there are any newbies or lurkers thinking about getting involved in VG+ trades, this should be a recommendation to just dip your toes in, you'll get some top items!

After I got back from the Derbys chazzers, I thought I'd have a Saturday afternoon stroll up to Anarchy records. All still going well up there and I urge Nottingham folk to get up there and keep the flow of vinyl going. Similarly, if you're visiting the city from out of town, don't miss Anarchy off your itinerary! The Bridges LP is a strange one, some really nice acid folk type stuff from a lass called Theresa or summat, rest of it veers too close to cabaret at times. Complesso Gen Verde is one of those that I had, but let go some time back, but regretted, so it was good to pick that up again. Couple of groovy / folky cuts on here, worth picking up if seen for cheap. Library by some geezer called Orieux with a couple of up-tempo bangers.

And this is where I got proper lucky. The Renia LP has been discussed on here before I reckon - 'Breakneck' is a killer! Rest of it might take a bit of warming to, but definitely a keeper for that one track alone. Less said about Candle the better, at least I can recycle the dust sleeve, put it that way. And then there's Presence, which I nearly didn't buy as it was slightly higher priced than the other items and I wasn't familiar with it! Spidey senses tingled though, so I took it anyway! Wowsers. Ticks a lot of boxes, lovely folky stuff with psych-ey tinges and lovely femme vox and it's apparently quite scarce. Happy days.

So, hopefully a few more finds / purchases before Christmas, but if I found nowt else this month, I think I've done Ok.

Here is what I came away with yesterday:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Blimey, serious heat from th Oz jazz vaults. Well done

Early lounge bird catches jazz worms.

Only one other person there - excitedly checking out classical box sets on his mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Early lounge bird catches jazz worms.

Only one other person there - excitedly checking out classical box sets on his mobile.
    You wouldn't be the only one there if I lived near, killer finds , that Judy Bailey looks mint , congrats

Ta.

I have yet to subject them all to really close scrutiny. At a casual glance they are all in top nick - well stored and hardly played (if at all). Except:

1) all sleeves have library stamps and stickers

2) a few sleeves have 2/3 strange small holes along the top

3) the Fludde has a little very light scratching. I gather that classical collectors are very particular

4) The indo jazz fusions has a short scratch that worries me and the sleeve looks a bit more handled than the others

There was a time that the collection was open for use by the public. Most people there were listening to the more obvious popular stuff. I saw some of that in the sale. I wondered going to the sale whether I might leave with the OG "Les Stances a Sophie" that I know for a fact that they used to have in the collection.

That Presence album is truly great. One of the best religious Folk albums to ever come out of Britain.

Great work Ben.... That Presence is a lovely album. Reminds me of daylight. Good work
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Great work Ben.... That Presence is a lovely album. Reminds me of daylight. Good work
    Yes, great charity shop finds. That Presence LP and the Bridges one are basically the same band I seem to recall (or maybe the same songwriter)

Great work again funk, Aussie Library indeed coming up trumps on the Brit jazz front!

Ta.

I have yet to subject them all to really close scrutiny. At a casual glance they are all in top nick - well stored and hardly played (if at all). Except:

1) all sleeves have library stamps and stickers

2) a few sleeves have 2/3 strange small holes along the top

3) the Fludde has a little very light scratching. I gather that classical collectors are very particular

4) The indo jazz fusions has a short scratch that worries me and the sleeve looks a bit more handled than the others

There was a time that the collection was open for use by the public. Most people there were listening to the more obvious popular stuff. I saw some of that in the sale. I wondered going to the sale whether I might leave with the OG "Les Stances a Sophie" that I know for a fact that they used to have in the collection.
    Good score sir, I'd be well pleased to bring them home
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Ta Expiry.

I'm intrigued by "Presence" up the page a bit. Not my usual genre by the sound of it. But I would have been tempted being confronted by that sleeve. Top marks to the Art Department.

Bit in awe of some of the finds this month, picked these up over the last couple of weeks:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Bobby Darin and the Ian Dury album everyone should own but I didn't for some reason, on vinyl at least. At a quid each I couldn't say no. The 'Blowzabella' is a repurchase, 'Treeboy' reminded me about it, the cover is haggered but the vinyl is in pretty good condition spotted it almost straight away at the place I gave it away too. 'Kenneth Mckellar' albums are not my thing but here he is with the 'Mike Sammes Singers' singing songs from Naples so that sounded interesting as did the modern 'Bach' album but schoolboy error it actually contains a 'Henry Mancini' reissue. Some disco cheese, a private press (looks liked they've signed the poly outer) and a Mint 'Monty Python I never seem to come across to round things off.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    and a Mint 'Monty Python I never seem to come across to round things off.
    Uncanny - watched this episode of TOTP just last night - see from 09:20 in...

Haha, thanks SirSlim never seen that before, I'm guessing its the last thing they released. Speaking of 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl' I had it on Betamax as kid must have worn it out watching it over and over. (My Dad refused to buy a VHS player for years to my dismay.)
    Last edited by amidar; 12-12-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: VHS

Back to my ‘no more than $2 per album’ sorties.

El Condor Pasa – Paul Nero Sounds of South America – Ex+/ VG. $1

Members have had the occasional kind word for bits of Nero’s work. I’ve got one album. And I recently heard a mid-60’s soundtrack by him that came close to being o.k. Seeing names like Schwab and Goykovich on the sleeve of this made me decide to risk a dollar.

Again, it is a close thing. Skipping past a couple of hits-of-the-day, most of what you get is Nero’s arrangements of trad tunes. The exception is the first track – “Cuica” – which is a Nero original. The flaw is the arrangements which were, I suspect, done in the light of MOR notions of South American music. I experience it as sentimentalism. I hear the impact of this on Goykovich and the flautist, Olaf Kubler. It isn’t that their playing is bad necessarily. Indeed, for all I know the whole approach is very appropriate. I can imagine that folk melodies might have that aspect to them.

If I was looking Fuz-style to salvage something from the album it would be “Cuica”, which has a slightly more modern feel to it. Also “Malaguena” where a more serious tone would have sat very nicely on top of the bluesy groove set up by the rhythm section.

Incidentally, it isn’t clear from the sleeve that Nero himself is on it. And there isn’t much piano that I can hear.

Gary McFarland & Clark Terry – “Tijuana – Happy Jazz for Fun”. Ex+/Ex. $1.

I’m starting to wish that I had started looking for WRC releases earlier.

My first real exposure to Gary McFarland. I gather that he had jazz cred on the basis of his earlier work. I find it difficult to imagine that he would have got any for this. My initial impression is that it inhabits broadly comparable space to the Nero. Worth a couple more listens, though. Possibly even a keeper on the basis of “Ira Schwartz’s Golden Dream”. Apparently ISGD dates from 1966. Give it a listen on Youtube. Anyone care to guess what track recorded August 1967 it reminds me of?

Just listened to it again. "Time of the Season"!

Probably just me, then.

ISGD sounding better on subsequent listens.

Here's some newbies and oldies I got on a potter around the town yesterday:

[IMG][/IMG]

Diana Ross - Everything is Everything Not the best condition but brings back fond memories of childhood.

Blues and Bras Side A by 'The Creoles' with side B being taken up by 'The New Orleans Five'. Have seen this around a bit and listening to the 'Creoles' side now ain't half bad I expect the flip to be a trad overload but I had to buy it if only for my 'swapping covers in the LP frame in the front room gag' I have going on.

Various - 12 Tops Always picked these up over the years but a decent copy of this has always eluded me until now. Bought if only for Leo Mullers version of 'Laughing Gnome' and 'Monster Mash'.

James Hendricks - The Best of James Hendricks Bit scratched but looks like it'll play well enough.

1910 Fruitgum Company - Goody Goody Gum Drops As above but I expect the crackle will do this kind of thing no harm to my ears.

[IMG][/IMG]

McKay - Into You Formerly a private press from 1978 lovely southern rock vibe to this one drew me to it a real labour of love.

Formerly Fat Harry - Formerly Fat Harry Country/Southern rock with a bit of folk thrown in featuring 'Laurie Allen' on drums who did some session work on the 'Gong - Flying Teapot' album. Having heard the album so many times he plays some of my favorite bits of drumming on that album if it is indeed him. Bit of a transitional album for Gong as far as line up changes go. From what I know of him he was a bit of a grumpy sod and don't know much about him apart from him playing on this album. Anyone know anything else he played on?

The Tropics Japanese folk from the early 70's I believe.

Various Artists - Compendium Records Mixture of Free Jazz, Art Rock and general weirdness from the Norway label. Looking forward to this one. Side D is devoted entirely to 'Henry Cow' playing live.

Dew - Live at the All Japan Folk Jamboree On green vinyl in see through sleeve. I know this is a boot but its sat it my eBay watching for months and at £5.99 delivered I cant complain although there is no folk in sight this is pretty much a Hard Blues album copying the British blues movement of the time in my opinion.

After years and years of lurking I finally post to the finds thread.

A reasonable haul in a single charity shop this morning - one possible highlight being these two box sets of lps - Exploring Music 4 and 6. They seem to be music for US schools but I can't find anything about them. Anyone know anything about them at all? There's a good selection of classical, folk, chinese folks songs and some fantastically strange electronic synthesiser music including a 15 minute walk through the process of manipulating sounds with tapeloops - who is M Babbit?.

who is M Babbit?.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...bbitt-obituary

I'll answer that myself

Here's the track Electronic Music Demonstration: https://soundcloud.com/pinchy/electr...milton-babbitt
    Last edited by Skip; 13-12-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Amidar, Laurie Allan was with Gong when they played at Glastonbury Fayre in '71, so that's him on the Revelation lp, cooking up some voodoo weirdness. He's on The Bob Downes Deep Down Heavy lp, and I seem to recall his name cropping up when I was reading the Robert Wyatt autobiography. Can't remember which ones he played on.
    This too apparently

Following on from the Exploring Music Boxes (22 LPs for £2) this is the some more of today's rummagings.

Fargo is Christian folk from the late 60s on RCA Victor. Some nice folk funky moments and a bit of baroque pop. I'll come back to this I think. The Africana LP by Horste Wende is Swinging Safari style penny whistle easy listening. I love the fact that this style of music was so popular. Cheering, Sunny stuff. The Girl Guides singsong is a choir of Guides singing kumbaya and other folky stuff. It has the acoustics of being recorded by someone a long way away and is delightful for it. Ian Matthews would be called Yacht Rock in some circles. It's gorgeous smooth late seventies white soul. The Bonded Beat is the sound of two Baldwin organs. I think the sound of one could be too many. Quite bland despite some beefy tracks. Laugh! Laugh! is a Vinyl Vulture classic and a spare.

I'd hoped the contemporary dance lp might be some challenging 20th century classical but it seems at first to be gentle piano music for ballet dancers to warm up to. The Pete Moore LP is a bit too easy and will probably return to the wild. I love Steve Forbert's voice. Jackrabbit Slim was one of my dad's favourites and this LP seems pretty good. The A-Z of easy listening and Pepsi party are two of those I've been collecting charity shop lps for twenty years and never managed to find one albums (although I wonder if it's just a blindness that sets in and I've actually flicked past millions). Pepsi seems to have one track which is on the Sound Gallery compilation but I feel like I should own it anyway. The Swingle II LP starts with a version of Fifty Ways to Leave your lover which would be terrific if not for a distracting bass in the vocal arrangement. This seems to be the thing with most of the other tracks too.

Ooooo that's interesting will have to have another listen to that Bob Downes LP to see if I can recognise his style. That disco track could indeed be him playing what session drummers used to call 'the bread and butter' beat during the disco years, have read they were paid per hi-hat strike at union rate of course!

The bit off Flying Teapot is here kicking in at 7:58 you'll know the bit anyone who knows any Gong would but its his holding back in his drumming and use of single strokes that makes me think its him as its not Pip Pyles style at all and It's what makes the groove of that piece. After the sax solo comes it seems there is a bit of studio trickery and I think Pip comes in on the breakdown where it all goes a bit free jazz for a few secs, a lot of editing on that album done in the studio I would wager. Then there is the other mystery is that 'Francis Moze' from Magma on bass or 'Christian Tritsch' before he retired from music. My money is on Christian, sadly the Syd Barrett of Gong but anyone who knows 'Camembert Electrique', 'Continental Circus' and the 'Dashiell Hedyatt - Obsolete' album will know how much of a creative writer he was when it came to bass and songwriting in general. I seem to remember on 'Obsolete' he plays a bassline that lasts something like 16 bars! ultra talented:

Also Skip you should post more often those box sets look really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Amidar, Laurie Allan was with Gong when they played at Glastonbury Fayre in '71, so that's him on the Revelation lp, cooking up some voodoo weirdness. He's on The Bob Downes Deep Down Heavy lp, and I seem to recall his name cropping up when I was reading the Robert Wyatt autobiography. Can't remember which ones he played on.
    Last edited by amidar; 13-12-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: bloody grammar!

Judging from the sleeve, those girl guide songs either extol the virtues of the Aryan nation or are a hitherto unremarked vehicle by which extra-terrestrials make you their host.

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

and the flautist, Olaf Kubler.
    The same Kubler that played with Amon Duul II, I wonder?

Seconded.

Judging from the sleeve, those girl guide songs either extol the virtues of the Aryan nation or are a hitherto unremarked vehicle by which extra-terrestrials make you their host.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Ooooo that's interesting will have to have another listen to that Bob Downes LP to see if I can recognise his style. That disco track could indeed be him playing what session drummers used to call 'the bread and butter' beat during the disco years, have read they were paid per hi-hat strike at union rate of course!

The bit off Flying Teapot is here kicking in at 7:58 you'll know the bit anyone who knows any Gong would but its his holding back in his drumming and use of single strokes that makes me think its him as its not Pip Pyles style at all and It's what makes the groove of that piece. After the sax solo comes it seems there is a bit of studio trickery and I think Pip comes in on the breakdown where it all goes a bit free jazz for a few secs, a lot of editing on that album done in the studio I would wager. Then there is the other mystery is that 'Francis Moze' from Magma on bass or 'Christian Tritsch' before he retired from music. My money is on Christian, sadly the Syd Barrett of Gong but anyone who knows 'Camembert Electrique', 'Continental Circus' and the 'Dashiell Hedyatt - Obsolete' album will know how much of a creative writer he was when it came to bass and songwriting in general. I seem to remember on 'Obsolete' he plays a bassline that lasts something like 16 bars! ultra talented:

Seen the Gong box sets Amidar? Shocking! Amazingly Charly claim to have used the original masters for this release. They must have done an undercover raid on Virgin/Universals vaults then, because that's where they are last I heard. Anyone thinking of picking it up, I'd say hold tight and wait for the real deal.

Yeah, was going to post them in the 'New Releases' thread just to give people a heads up when I came across the pre-release on amazon. Is there no level to which that label wont stoop? Bunch of Cnuts!

Your'e right about Virgin owning the originals, the surviving band members issued a joint statement a few weeks back:

"We, the surviving members of Gong, do not support Charly Records upcoming reissue of the Radio Gnome trilogy.

None of the surviving members of the lineups that created those recordings were ever signed to Charly Records.

The truth is that during the making of Flying Teapot in January 1973, the band learned that the record company - BYG Records (also known as Promodisc) - had gone bust, it's Paris office stripped bare, no phones working. The band was abandoned at the Manor Studios midway through the album. Virgin - at the time just a chain of record stores and The Manor studios - was about to launch their record label.

Faced with an unpaid recording bill, they decided to cut their losses and release Flying Teapot as the second release on the new Virgin Records label. That's the true story.

The booklet advertised as accompanying the Charly/BYG Release is full of untruths, lies and falsehoods claiming to represent Charly and BYG Records as some sort of poor victim of Virgin's wickedness. The truth is that none of the musicians on those recordings has ever received a penny of royalty payments for the Charly/BYG releases, or even a statement. This is understandable because we NEVER signed to BYG or Charly Records as Gong.

Meanwhile, forty years later, we still receive statements from Virgin and, for those of us who cleared our advances, royalty payments, even though Virgin has since been sold to EMI and now is owned by Universal Records.

We know and can confirm as a 100% corroborated fact that the Original Masters of these albums reside in the Virgin Records Archive, and that Charly has never at any time been given access to them, so Charly's claim to have used the Original Masters is false.

Charly has been brazenly abusing our rights as artists for decades. None of us are rich or powerful enough to sue them. All we can do is to let you, our lovely Gong fans, know that we do not support this release. We will be supporting a new boxed set to be released by Universal in a few months with our full collaboration.

DO NOT BUY THIS RELEASE"

Have to admit I skimmed the last bit about the new box set in the works, wait for that folks! Bugger that is going to hit my wallet hard...

Its like the BBC have tried to mix the facial features of girls from every nation into one head Funktionairre, rather creepy! I would have bought it though.

Its like the BBC have tried to mix the facial features of girls from every nation into one head Funktionairre, rather creepy! I would have bought it though.
    It's horrifying isn't it? Like the monster from a 1970s childrens tv programme. I suspect since I haven't settled on an avatar that it might end up being this.

Sub-zero submarine car boot sale today. I am kidding myself that the De Wolfe will have an anomalous killer track on it.