Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: December 2015 finds

Last charity shop trawl of the year (probably) was only a brief affair but turned out quite successful.

The 45s are funk and reggae in equal measure.

Lee Dorsey - Night People. From 1978 this is very funky and very good.

Chocolate Milk - Grand Theft. Have always been partial to CM's brand of funk, and the B side proves again that they were more adept than many funk bands in being able to serve up the ballads and mellower stuff too.

The Maytones - Little Boy Blue. Plenty of fireside crackle and sticks in one place. Par for the course then for a reggae 45.

Steel Pulse - Prodigal Son. I think I have this already, but just in case.

Cass Elliot - The Road Is No Place For A Lady. Played A side only so far but it seems the cover will be the best part of this one.

5 Hand Reel. Haven't listened yet but I challenge them to surprise me.

Dusty Springfield - Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty. A really solid album in great condition. Pleased with this. Doodlin' and If It Don't Work Out have had a few plays already. If it Don't Work Out is something of a lost Northern Soul classic I feel.

Not a terribly uncommon find on the surface of it...but what's all that writing on the cover?

Excellent condition to boot. I have a particular fancy for Ward Swingle's keyboard playing.

@Chocolate Milk - Grand Theft. Their best, great arrangement.
    record licker

On 7......

Manuel Cubedo y Victorita De Malaga - 'Exitos Internacionales con Guitarras y Castanuelas' - Europop hits of the early sixties ('Moliendo Cafe', 'Brigitte Bardot') played nicely on the guitar by Manuel and ruined by the annoyingly incessant and unvarying click-click-clicking of of Victorita's castanets...

Gaiteros de Soutelo de Montes - 'Musica de Galicia' - Like their Celtic cousins the Irish and the Scottish, the Galicians developed their own version of the bagpipes, which, on this evidence, bears some comparison with the aeolian pipes, with a bodhran type instrument providing the rhythm as it does. Sadly, it's all a bit tuneless and poorly recorded and soon begins to sound like angry hornets trapped in a wheelie-bin....not pleasant...

Maruja Garrido - 'Che Camino' EP - This is more like it, Maruja's strong voice leads us through four songs from her 1968 album with some handclappin', guitar slappin' gypsy rhumba going down in the background. I'm guessing that the song 'Don Simon' is more about the sangria than the orange juice, going by the visuals on this very pop 1975 TV rendition which doesn't really do the record justice...my but she's a rather luxuriously appointed lady isn't she?...

On 10...

'Hoffnung At The Oxford Union' - bought a nice copy of this about 20 years ago and gave it as a gift to an old mate, so was pleased to find another fine example after all these years....classic comedy fans will of course be familiar with 'Respected Sir', a fine explanation of the laws of physics which is still hilarious - should be part of the national curriculum....

Duke Ellington - 'The Duke Plays Ellington' - I seem to have a gift recently for finding 'atypical' jazz albums and here's another example, from 1954, the Duke engaging in a bit of late night studio downtime piano improvisation, with a number of the tracks (it is claimed) composed as he went along - certainly sounds smooth and polished though....

...back with some 12s later....
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

These have got to be the last especially as that 'Merrymen' album is one of the worst things that has ever graced my ears, chuffed with that mono Ted Heath though and his blues reissue. Bit of Yacht Rock I'm guessing from 'David Gates' and the Mexican Rhapsody should probably be in the classical finds. I cant find any info on this particular version on HMV and some 'Basie' will I ever learn, Don't think this Motown release by 'Billy Preston' will yield much but worth a pop and hoping 'Golden Latin Brass' expose at least one good track:

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry Evil Silver Discs mostly 90's dance, c'mon most of them were about 30 pence each:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by amidar; 31-12-2015 at 01:47 PM.

12s (as promised)...

Electrophon - 'Further Thoughts On The Classics' - The budget repackage of 'In A Covent Garden', and largely the work of Dudley Simpson, one of several ex Radiophonic Workshoppers to pass through the Electrophon Studios - this 'reworking' of numerous classical pieces for moog was in truth, a bit passe, even by the time it was issued and frankly it's a cacophonous and unlistenable experience. 'The Flight Of The Bumblebee' almost provoked my default reaction to extremely bad music, i.e. 'chucking stuff'...

Paddy Roberts - 'But Not In Front Of The Children' - I'd heard Mr Roberts' work in small amounts before (I have an E.P.), but wasn't sure if his risque and slightly cynical wit could be endured for the length of an album. But as it turns out it's quite a mellow experience, largely due to some very tasty cocktail jazz courtesy of Bill McGuffie on piano and celeste - these days, it's difficult to work out who this album was aimed at in 1966 - let's call it 'the thinking man's smut'.

Stealers Wheel - 'Stuck In The Middle With You - The Best of' - Quite a few of my early vinyl purchases were Stealers Wheel singles - for a little while they had that trick of producing songs that were both catchy and credible - I couldn't afford the albums, but many years later I picked up their second, 'Ferguslie Park' although I can't have listened very closely to it or I'd have noticed the version of 'Everything Will Turn Out Fine' that's markedly different to the single, which tried too hard to repeat the 'Stuck In The Middle' formula.. This compy collects tracks from their three albums made between 1973 - 75. Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan were the core of the group whose lineup shifted, sometimes quite radically, from album to album. It's a decent collection, and I particularly like the songs from their last album 'Right Or Wrong' which merits further investigation I think.

Barrence Whitfield & The Savages - 'Dig Thy Savage Soul' - Ah, remember the days when the DJ at the gig used to get a free copy of the record? It was a pleasure to do the honours for Mr Whitfield's recent Manchester appearance, but I must have visibly flinched when the merch guy asked me for 20 quid - obviously a London based enterprise - I'd hoped to buy this and his newer one, but even still on a high from a blistering live performance, I felt the need to restrain myself and so I got the one with 'Corner Man' (which he didn't play in the show) on it.

Still, complaining aside, it's very good, even if it doesn't quite capture the live energy this band put out, and Barrence & the boys deliver soul, rock'n'roll, r&b, garage and blues shoutiness with aplomb. If you like the Sonics, Otis Redding or spent much of your younger days drinking beer and dancing at Doctor Feelgood gigs (as I did), you won't be disappointed...

Dave Grusin - 'Winning' (OST) - It was an intention of mine this year to get at least one Dave Grusin soundtrack album and not including 'The Graduate', this from a 1969 Paul Newman motor racing movie is it, bought as a makeweight in a postal deal. I'm very happy with it too; obviously DG was absorbing Burt Bacharach's late 60s instrumental excursions and combined with a Francis Lai like main theme which works well through the variations, it's a success. Here's a couple of standouts; 'California Montage' and the obligatory funky number, 'Gasoline Alley'...

...and with that comes the staggering news....I've finally CAUGHT UP on my finds* and just in time for the end of the year! Thanks for all the brilliant finds you've all posted and for putting up with all my comparative tripe, but I do think we have a duty to post the good, the bad and the ugly for the peeps out there....so that's the last from me for 2015...mind you, there is still tomorrow.....

*apart from about 25 classical albums to get on the 'Classical Finds' thread....

I don't usually manage to find anything at the record fairs held in department stores in Osaka, but this time I did. I also broke my 500 yen price rule on both of these. Has to be done sometimes ...

I was glad to find this LP since I sold my Birthday Party 7 inch records years ago.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for old punk bootlegs ... this is early John Peel sessions and 3 tracks they demoed for Track records before signing to Polydor:

That's it from me in 2015. Nice to find a place to chew the fat. See you all in 2016.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I've enjoyed your uttering this year and more so since the wooden chicken has been making frequent appearances. Maybe I should bring out some of my Buddhas or my 'Knitted Character' that resides on my bookshelf for future pics.

Nice to meet you too Turbo, good to see some vinyl goings on from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

Dusty Springfield - Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty. A really solid album in great condition. Pleased with this. Doodlin' and If It Don't Work Out have had a few plays already. If it Don't Work Out is something of a lost Northern Soul classic I feel.

Actually a Zombies track written by Rod Argent, which they strangely held off releasing till 1969, just as they were about to split.
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Go on then, I'll sneak one last update in for 2015. Then I've kind of cleared the decks to launch into 2016. Well, I would launch in if I now wasn't having to be ultra-frugal until pay-day (26th Jan has never seemed so far away!).

Usual sources, Rob's, chazzas, eBay, Grantham Market, trades on the Board and a little local record fair.

This first lot came from one of my regular Friday afternoon sorties into Rob's before I wended my way home for the weekend. The Knack was for my mate (who I'm still picking stuff up for, as you'll see), the Xian LP I've had before and was sure there was summat on it, but it's not quite there (plus no-one wanted it as a freebie - the acid test!). Don't quite know why I picked up the Blackbyrds, much as I love my Mizells productions, it's a bit of a sore thumb in my racks and I'll most likely move it on. I'd heard of Renee Geyer and I think I've had one of her LPs before but wasn't impressed. This one was in Rob's 'In' pile for peanuts and therefore worth taking a punt. Even despite the aesthetic pimping by our chums at Radio Trent, this was a good purchase as her sleazy version of 'Do Your Thing' really knocks it out the park.

A nifty bit of trading with Mr Divine got me the above (Cheers Andrew!). AC/DC and Humble Pie have already been rehomed with my mate (good riffage on both) and the others have stayed with me. The Ray Bloch is definitely one of the superior versions of ‘Hair’.

Top row here all came from trades with Stylesforfree (gets my seal of approval!). Nice sleaze-funk with Goldie Zelkowitz and Kimiko Kasai ticks off my femme vox / wonky disco (well, slightly more boogie / jazz-funk) boxes. Bottom two came off Grantham Market – both in the ‘out’ pile though. The Batucada one does what it says on the tin, possibly one for the producers out there as I reckon it’s good sampler fodder. The other LP is a Basque compilation, which I need to investigate further. On first needle-drop, there’s a good acid folk tune and a good weird proggy tune, so I’ll need to suss out those artists and do my research. The rest of it is ethnic folk stuff, which isn't really my thing.

Following a recommendation on the BIN section, I got Ms Perhacs online, but I used Amazon (pretty sure it was the same seller - I just felt more protected by Amazon customer services than eBay's in case of problems!). Lovely album though eh? Amazing how it sits so comfortably alongside 'Parallelograms', as if they were recorded in the same session - props to all concerned. Spare of Ray Davies and this one is signed! Blackberry Winter through a trade on the Board (Cheers Rhys!), lovely stuff. 'On Any Sunday' is one of those that I wanted for ages, but waited to get at a reasonable price. Think the seller had graded rather conservatively and therefore accepted a low bid, not that I'm complaining as I did really well on this deal. Never realised that this is effectively the California Dreamers and the Wrecking Crew and therefore could almost be a companion piece to Tom Scott and the California Dreamers. Killer soundtrack.

Some more from Rob’s. Nice cheapie of The Move as I wanted to play ‘I Can Hear The Grass Grow’ quite loudly, was in that mood and luckily found a copy in time to scratch the itch. Pleased to get an albeit later issue of Velvets, but in really nice nick. Honey Cone is a bit ‘meh’ and straight in the ‘out’ pile. Solution is all about ‘Whirligig’ - folk funk grooves.

The above quartet came from a local record fair. Seller’s 50p boxes were being raked over as I got there, so I did Ok to get these four really. New Jersey Connection is decent boogie, nothing spectacular, but certainly worth 50p. Carolyn Hester was just picked up as it looked like the kind of thing I can punt on down the market. Bowie for my mate and I always pick up early New Order 12”s if I see clean copies for cheap.

Some more from the fair. Sadly, not from the 50p boxes. Iggy for my mate, still at a nice price. Vic Lewis from a cheapo box, bit too ‘fromage’ for me, but someone will want it for nowt I’m sure. Chris Clark and the Love Circle soundtrack are the only two that I paid proper money for, but think I did Ok on both. Not had chance to get involved with Ms Clark yet, but the soundtrack sounds like perfect VG+ fodder, almost as if created in a laboratory by Pencilface or summat.

Popped in a chazza after the fair and picked up these four to stick in my next freebies offer. Thought this is more the kind of thing that some of you lads with the more catholic tastes would be up for. And the chazza makes a few pennies, so everyone’s happy.

And my final visit to Rob’s of the year got me the three above. I had to engage in a wee bit of haggling, but I think I did fine on the final combined price (Narnia was the one that pushed it up). The Hollies ‘Butterfly’ was recommended to me by a Plusser and the word ‘classic’ was used. Again, not had chance to check it out yet, but might have a crack at it in the next couple of days. I’m sure the recommendations on here are pretty much golden, so I’m expecting to like it. It was surprisingly reasonably priced anyway (i.e. cheap). Obviously, AC/DC is heading for Hove as part of the ‘riffs’ package – we’ve also got tickets to see them in London in June. Should be mega as long as none of them decide to follow Lemmy down the JD-soaked path to oblivion in the meantime. I spuffed on the Narnia as I had Christmas pennies burning a hole in my pocket and the Xian prog/folk vibe is ticking boxes for me at the moment. I’ve held off listening to it for a while, same as I always save the blackcurrant Rowntrees Fruit Gums and Fruit Pastilles. It’s a feat of will. But I’ll cave in soon and have a catch-up listening session with quite a lot of these items ASAP. Wrong time of year to find the time to listen to stuff, but we can’t seem to stop acquiring it!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    AC/DC and Humble Pie have already been rehomed with my mate
    You said he was building a collection - is he panelling his library as well?...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

The final few finds on the last day of the year.

From a charity shop, these two were not in the best condition. In both cases, I prefer the B-side.
    Marc Ellington is known I presume, a touch of acid folk on this title track of his second album. Why Blue Suede Shoes was selected as A-side, I don't know, but it's a US release...
    Wishful Thinking was unknown to me. A-side Step By Step is cheerful and catchy, but I prefer the B-side Looking Around, more brooding.

And as I popped into a record shop just before closing time, I happened to see this at the front of the 20p box on the floor. A spare already spoken for.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Only fitting on this forum that the year should end on a euro edition of 'Voodoo Party'

Just looking at the album and it seems its on it but called 'Rot und Schwarz' on my copy with the English translation underneath. I dare say its still going to end up in the out pile mind you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sie-Fly View Post
    Seems I was right then !!

Lovely stuff there Ben. What's on the Ventures LPs? I've never seen them and I've got a LOT of Ventures lps.

I'll get your stuff in the post early next week. Apologies mate but Xmas caught up with me and I've not been at home since.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

I've been really idle on the interweb over December due mainly to drunkenness and birthdays and Christmas and seemed to have acquired pile upon pile of charity shop records from one source or another. Let's just say this is the highlight from Reg Varney, who started my own personal vinyl revivial way back in 1996:

Reg Varney - A Variety Of Varney:

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    I've been really idle on the interweb over December due mainly to drunkenness and birthdays and Christmas and seemed to have acquired pile upon pile of charity shop records from one source or another. Let's just say this is the highlight from Reg Varney, who started my own personal vinyl revivial way back in 1996:

Reg Varney - A Variety Of Varney:

Dunno about the music but I want his tie...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    Dunno about the music but I want his tie...
    For when you're on the buses?

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    For when you're on the buses?
    No - for this months "fancy dress" Eclectic Mud, did you not get the memo?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Is that not every month?

I had wondered why you had become so fond of wearing a big red nose, spinning bow tie, yellow checked oversized trousers and big flappy shoes of late...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

That's some beer they serve at the 'Mud nights

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

Maruja Garrido - 'Che Camino' EP - This is more like it, Maruja's strong voice leads us through four songs from her 1968 album with some handclappin', guitar slappin' gypsy rhumba going down in the background. I'm guessing that the song 'Don Simon' is more about the sangria than the orange juice, going by the visuals on this very pop 1975 TV rendition which doesn't really do the record justice...my but she's a rather luxuriously appointed lady isn't she?...

The video is standard Valerio Lazarov-directed 70s insanity. I watched this aptly titled tribute (The Delirium of Valerio) to him last year and dreamed furiously afterwards

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/c...lerio/2862514/

The Maruja Garrido show definitely had a surrealist theme. Here´s a paranoiac-critical Billie Holiday cover from the same show.

I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Wow, thanks a million for that BC - a tremendous show that had me gripped from start to finish - art, trash, beauty and hilarity all thrown in the mixer - right up my street - Lazarov is a genius! Seriously I'm going to have to sit down and watch that again, this time with Google Translate and a pen and pad to jot down some of those great tunes....cheers fella!

Quote Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post
    Wow, thanks a million for that BC - a tremendous show that had me gripped from start to finish - art, trash, beauty and hilarity all thrown in the mixer - right up my street - Lazarov is a genius! Seriously I'm going to have to sit down and watch that again, this time with Google Translate and a pen and pad to jot down some of those great tunes....cheers fella!
    Glad you enjoyed it, GC. there´s lots of Lazarov on Youtube, too, but that programme features loads of stuff from the RTVE archives that can´t be found anywhere else. Short snippets, sadly - I´d happily shell out for a box set.

RTVE are putting more of this stuff up, though. Try Irreal Madrid (Unreal Madrid) - a football-related extravaganza from 1969. Locura total.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.