Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 finds

Default December 2015 finds

I'm sure I've missed posting about quite a few November finds. I went to a mini record-fair in another town last week and dove into some cheap 45 boxes, and came home with a good pile.
    These are more recent though.
    In the mail yesterday:

Maybe this is too obvious stuff, but when I by chance came on Tradera (Swedish eBay) to see that there was only a starting bid on this with minutes to go, I threw in a low bid which to my surprise was not overbid in the last seconds. Really happy for this and in EX condition, I really love Troggs 45s.

From the charity shop yesterday.
    Christallen is Xian slightly funky horn rock from 1968 or 1969. I had heard a track by them that was promising, but turns out it was from the follow up, this one is pretty pedestrian.
    This is maybe the best track, an instro...

Eileen is new to me, maybe a known Euro 45 here on VG+? Apparently she was American and moved to France, recording French, German and Italian versions of Boots. Being the daughter of Lee Hazelwood's publisher must have helped in securing the deal. I actually like this version, a bit rougher sound than the Nancy version.

And this is the best label sleeve I've found for a while. No record to go with it, and judging by the label output there's not a lot I want.
    A POP on PEP is TOP, whatever that means?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

That's a great Troggs 45 CD. Very similar to the b side of Wild Thing too. Cool Scandinavian sleeve too.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    A POP on PEP is TOP, whatever that means
    Consuming a can of Pepsi is an excellent notion?

Our stimulant pills will assist in your athletic endeavours?

Having consumed your Pepsi, the resulting flatulence is something to be applauded?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post
    Consuming a can of Pepsi is an excellent notion?

Our stimulant pills will assist in your athletic endeavours?
    I'm not even sure that you could get a Pepsi here at that time.
    Their marketing department must have been on something at the time, judging by the slogans.

"bolaget med de S-märkta skivorna"
    The label with the S-marked records. The S-mark would refer to the Safety stamp applied to tested electrical appliances, or the national sticker on Swedish cars? Or perhaps to the ruling party at the time, the Social democrats?

"Schlager som slår!"
    Schlager that hits! Tautology warning...
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

vinyl odds and ends I've picked up in the past few days

I was most pleased with this curious Saydisc LP which according to the label is a 'Limited Edition',
    though it's hard to imagine it ever sold many copies. It was also released on CD a few years ago.

The sleeve for this LP may have been inspiration for this Pink Floyd compilation as it also came out in 1971.

Lovely tunes from Victorian Barrel Organs to musical boxes also released in 1971.

I have bell-ringing albums but this is the first one I've found with them accompanied by a guitar.

This was only 49p so I couldn't resist hearing these oldies slaying the oldies.

A nice pair of JM comps.

A BBC 12" single of narration for you to read / listen along to the Gremlins movie.

first find lot of december , this morning, dont know where to start, havn't played any of them yet , who's the expert on this sort of stuff ...MPFlapp, TomB ...?

and a few more that may be more my cup of tea , possibly, I'll do some reviews in the following days

Remember that Swedish xian being better, does it have the picture w a filter on the back, or maybe I had the other album? ��

The Gremlins story record is badass.Word!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

The sleeve for this LP may have been inspiration for this Pink Floyd compilation as it also came out in 1971.

Wow great haul Reza, I wouldn't have a clue where to start either but it looks magical. I think I used some of that 'mechanical music' on my XMAS swap cd last year HG.

Anyway what with my wife's health and finishing off the XMAS Swap mix and masses of other meaningless shit like Plumbing problems yesterday it might surprise some that I haven't listened to any of the black stuff for a few weeks now (most of my music has been listened to via PC or mainly in the car!) but have picked up a few odds and ends alongside other stuff I've already posted that I still haven't got around to listening too:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I usually avoid 'Swingle' albums but have noticed it gets a bit of love here so nice copy I'll give it a go same goes for Louis Armstrong but its all gospel songs so I thought it might be worth an ear. The Scott Walker although a best of is in stunning condition so couldn't leave that and a bit of guilty pleasure in Bobby Darin.

The relate shop finally moved some of their 'Vintage Books' to the 20p section so picked up some paranormal gubbins and lots of sci-fi and general pulp fiction and a stray Carlos Castaneda which I already have a reprint of:

got the bug again

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

post Utrecht buys
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

wow free jazz overload, I'd like to hear your review of that Detlef Schönenberg album , looks dead interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Remember that Swedish xian being better, does it have the picture w a filter on the back, or maybe I had the other album? ��
    It does have a picture with a filter on the back. It just doesnt do it for me, so it's in the out pile.

DANSA MED TV, from reza's post, that's Jan Johansson, right?

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    wow free jazz overload, I'd like to hear your review of that Detlef Schönenberg album , looks dead interesting
    Will give it some proper needle time and the report back Reza.

BV
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

It does have a picture with a filter on the back. It just doesnt do it for me, so it's in the out pile.

Yes correct , its ok imo , unusual mix somewhere between a library and a jazz album , not sure if its a keeper , more listens needed

Yes correct , its ok imo , unusual mix somewhere between a library and a jazz album , not sure if its a keeper , more listens needed
    Hopp II. always Hopp II.

Hopp I isnae too bad, but Hopp II is killer and too damn short.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    The relate shop finally moved some of their 'Vintage Books' to the 20p section
    Never seem to see these kinds of old paperbacks anymore in charities. Have even seen charities near me bagging them up for recycling (can't properly recycle cheap wood-pulp paper anyway), without even putting them up for sale. There was a huge donated crate of sci-fi in an Oxfam books one the other day, but it was mostly more recent trashy (in a bad way) stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who spinoffs or bad fantasy. There was a nice series of old Tarzan books though (Tarzan Vs the Ant Men, etc) which looked more fun.

re: Swingles - I always grab them. Picked up "Getting Romantic" the other day, very pleasant

Any suggestions on later Swingles? I've seen a few recently, but not at punt-friendly prices.

George Golla - Wives and Lovers. VG+/VG+. $2.

Waiting for something else this morning I stuck my nose in a charity shop. Got this. Some scratching; nothing too intrusive.

Tracks are, I am afraid, mainly hits of the day. But side 1 kicks off with a blues and a Golla original - "Waltz to Adelaide". Online commentary mentions "Waltz to Adelaide" in 'Libaek' terms. Well, the players here are basically Don Burrows' group. And those guys were Libaek regulars. So, go figure.

On the plus side, there is a fair amount of open percussion here; there is a strong bossa vibe through the album. And there are some moments where you can tell these guys were used to each other as a unit - tight and smooth.

The first hard copy I've seen, so I don't begrudge myself the $2.

I've noticed 'World of Books' vans pulling up outside charity shops and filling up. I guess some of these things are getting valuable now. Reminds me of days at my nans with my Granddad's Western books and Grans paperback Ian Fleming's in the bookcase.

Is Swingle II worth picking up I see that a lot recently but not took a punt?

Also lovely bit of Skronk there Boney, would love those!

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    Never seem to see these kinds of old paperbacks anymore in charities. Have even seen charities near me bagging them up for recycling (can't properly recycle cheap wood-pulp paper anyway), without even putting them up for sale. There was a huge donated crate of sci-fi in an Oxfam books one the other day, but it was mostly more recent trashy (in a bad way) stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars and Dr Who spinoffs or bad fantasy. There was a nice series of old Tarzan books though (Tarzan Vs the Ant Men, etc) which looked more fun.

re: Swingles - I always grab them. Picked up "Getting Romantic" the other day, very pleasant
    Last edited by amidar; 03-12-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Skronk

These were definitely going for "paper recycling", although I wonder if the recycling places actually just sell them on to someone like World Of Books?

Ok, thanks.

I have Johansson's 'Radda Sverige' exercise jazz 7". Cool, vbut not overwhelming. Which are his best jazz releases, besides the obvious 'Jazz på Svenska'?

and a few more that may be more my cup of tea , possibly, I'll do some reviews in the following days

Harold Singer , don't buy this album , lots of croony singing , dire songs, outbox
    Gianni Bedori, bought because its categorized as free jazz in discogs, its not , run of the mill Italian jazz, 5/10
    Dansa Med TV , decisions still out on this one , too many short 1 min tracks , will I keep playing it ?
    Spirale, unbelievably good modal jazz, no wonder its one of Romania's most sought after jazz albums , wow

Dansa Med TV , decisions still out on this one , too many short 1 min tracks , will I keep playing it ?
    Spirale, unbelievably good modal jazz, no wonder its one of Romania's most sought after jazz albums , wow
    love Spirale, the two "Colinda" tracks are the standouts for me.

I'd hang on to the Dansa Med TVas well...

Harold Singer , don't buy this album , lots of croony singing , dire songs, outbox
    I made the same mistake with this. One quite nice track - Elijah Rock - but definitely not a keeper. Anything good on those African LPs? Nothing there I recognise but I'm not an expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    I made the same mistake with this. One quite nice track - Elijah Rock - but definitely not a keeper. Anything good on those African LPs? Nothing there I recognise but I'm not an expert
    Not really , only one with any disco/funk stuff the rest are mostly your average hi life soukous and poor reggae , reckon I'll part with just about all

I cant remember the name but saw a van pull up one time may well have said something to do with 'recycling' on it and out of interest looked them up and it was indeed 'World of Books' related. They make a big deal about 'environmental impact' and 'recycling' and such. Seems more to do with grabbing charitable donations in bulk at a good price to sell on to make a profit. Is that a good or bad thing I don't know, bad when they are getting first dibs scooping up any potential raers for their own ends I guess but I suppose the business model is sound enough they've got to make a profit and saves a lot from landfill I suppose.

I buy the odd CD off them on eBay they have the slowest postage of any eBay seller based in the UK I have ever dealt with. They even give themselves a 2 week estimated delivery time to get around it affecting their seller score!

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    These were definitely going for "paper recycling", although I wonder if the recycling places actually just sell them on to someone like World Of Books?
    Last edited by amidar; 04-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.

first find lot of december , this morning, dont know where to start, havn't played any of them yet , who's the expert on this sort of stuff ...MPFlapp, TomB ...?

I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...

Like that Doves LP on Clover Sound and the Silvestre Mendez number...

Quite a haul there fella...
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Quote Originally Posted by MPFlapp View Post
    I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...

Like that Doves LP on Clover Sound and the Silvestre Mendez number...

Quite a haul there fella...
    There was about another 200 , I just picked an assortment , I'll go back and re listen to your likes , and let you know what the one's your interested in are like , that bottom left one with the religious cover is as I remember is hymnal preaching durge but I'll re listen to that one as well