• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reza
    Electric Banana
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
    I only know some of the labels here - driver banza it one I'd be keen to hear

Only know the Sonny Okosun Peace LP here - Keen to hear the bottom left corner one...
    Here you go warts an' all , what I remember as a religious album was only like that on one side so the track is from the b side

Comment

• gogo
      Electric Prunes
      • Apr 2007

Gaetano Veloso and G. Gil

Comment

• SirSlim
        Chocolate Rain
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
        Lovely Lp

Comment

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
          Lonely Jelly
          • May 2014

If you are at the sale and you see someone singing be sure to say hello.

Comment

• amidar
            Lonely Jelly
            • Jun 2014

Some awesome and very interesting finds there Funktionnaire, nice one mate! What's that 'Victorian Time Machine' all about?
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Turboellis
              Lonely Jelly
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
              @Turboellis give us a shout if you're ever up in Tokyo
              thanks @Plainstone ... ditto for you if you come down to Osaka ...

Haven't been to the Kapital for probably 3 years or more ... you ever in Osaka?
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
                Lonely Jelly
                • May 2014

The State library is selling off its collection. See the bottom of the Sculthorpe LP.

The first day was a polite scrum. No one joined me in song. I emerged with the Garrick, the Burrows, the Qualiton and Reverberations. I’ve acquired the others on-and-off since then.

It has been mostly classical of one kind or another since then. They’ve added new boxes most days to keep the serious diggers coming back. There has been the occasional bit of fresh jazz etc. But if there have been any particularly juicy morsels I’ve missed them. Today perhaps being an exception.

Most days I have been there I have been waiting when the doors open and have had the place to myself. After which, on to work.

Treeboy mentions $30, and that is a key issue. I imagine that most will find it deters a bulk punt. It certainly deterred me, and I’ve therefore seen any number of interesting looking ‘ethnic’ records come and go. We are thrown the occasional treat in the form of half-price days. I would suggest that the sellers are gradually getting a result. The records – including some complete chaff – still seem to be selling.

The last of the collection went out today. Forty plus boxes. Mainly classical box sets. Three/four boxes of separate records, with those being mainly classical. Also some blues, though. And some jazz. Four fewer jazz now.

Comment

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • May 2014

Victorian Time Machine? I’ve yet to listen. Modern Australian classical/avant garde by the look of it. I recall reading somewhere that the Move label did that and Christian music (I have one of their Christian LPs).

I’ve only had the chance to listen once to one side of the Burrows. I was very pleasantly surprised. My impression was of interesting compositions and good arrangements. Playing was refined and considered. No false urgency. If the 70s blandness is there in nascent form, it isn’t yet a problem.

I mentioned the Eric Jupp version of “Kaffir Song” in an earlier post. Must do a ‘compare and contrast’.

Comment

• MPFlapp
                    Lonely Jelly
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by reza View Post
                    Here you go warts an' all , what I remember as a religious album was only like that on one side so the track is from the b side
                    Cheers fella - arrangements and Instrumentation are top...

Of the Afro-Religious themed records this one has to be top of the pile - one of these days I'll bag one - carpet burner if ever there was one ;-)

and

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• amidar
                      Lonely Jelly
                      • Jun 2014

Judging by your post in the classical finds thread and this seems you've made some nice jazz and modern/classical/avant finds, you have a good eye!

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
                      Victorian Time Machine? I’ve yet to listen. Modern Australian classical/avant garde by the look of it. I recall reading somewhere that the Move label did that and Christian music (I have one of their Christian LPs).

I’ve only had the chance to listen once to one side of the Burrows. I was very pleasantly surprised. My impression was of interesting compositions and good arrangements. Playing was refined and considered. No false urgency. If the 70s blandness is there in nascent form, it isn’t yet a problem.

I mentioned the Eric Jupp version of “Kaffir Song” in an earlier post. Must do a ‘compare and contrast’.
                      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

• Grim Lounge Cowboy
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • May 2014

Ta. Probably luck playing a large part, though. I don't really know what I am looking for.

Something being (a) there and (b) cheap - those are significant factors.

Comment

• eine
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                          Funktionnaire - incredible selection there, the improvisations in acoustic chambers looks the business!
                          Looks amazing!

Side A recorded inside a water storage tank on June 22nd 1979 at Kardella farm near Korrumburra, Gippsland, Victoria using Sennheiser binaural microphones on a dummy head and a Nagra 1VS. The tank itself is also played and recorded along with the sounds of the environment.

Side B recorded inside a wheat silo on October 20th 1979 at Young township, Lambing Flat, NSW using condensor microphones and a Nagra 1VS.

Design by Zap Productions
                          Thanks to Bruce Cantieni and Cliff James for access to the locations.
                          Reminds of

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Head Gardener
                            Lonely Jelly
                            • Jan 2004

Monday morning Charity Shop haul

This sleeve could be Volume 1 of a new LP series, 'Now That's What I Call a Pipe'

I'm a sad sucker for these holiday entertainer records, hey look it's signed!

In the same box as the one above (obviously) I thought there may be a HRH connection, but it turns out
                            to be a record by a chap called Brian Royal who also does a cover of that easy classic 'Feelings' and I would
                            have been so disappointed if it too wasn't signed.

A surprisingly Funky soundtrack to a 1977 US TV mini-series I had not heard of before.

Possibly topping the 'Savile at Broadmoor' LP I picked up earlier this year is this string quartet album.
                            Featuring the theme from Star Wars to Beatles tunes and all with the blessing of JS, it's signed by the band
                            on the rear but his signature isn't real.

This was a nice find, a private pressing of an album featuring soundclips of interviews
                            with the Sussex school staff and pupils on one side and music recorded there in the early 70's.

There were three copies of this 7" in the same box as the school record so I had no choice but to pick up one of them!
                            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• babycart
                              Baldhead Growler
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

What an amazing cover. The font, the hair, the glasses, the jacket.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• treeboy
                                Lonely Jelly
                                • Aug 2012

A quartet.

[IMG][/IMG]

The Claggers - Someone / Umber rag. Terriffic b side. Floaty, acoustic guitars, whispy vocals, an almost Relatively Clean Rivers feel at the start.

The Image - Creation / Heartaches in between heartaches. Searched high & low at Utrecht for this. One popped up in my Discogs wants, so I bagged it. Mind blown wide open lyrics, great guitar sound. Top. B side is pretty good too, with some nice farty fuzz.

Aorta - Strange / The shape of things to come. I actually prefer the version of Strange on the lp, it's longer, a bit faster and punchier, with a mad instrumental bit, and a wibbly beginning. Still a good 45. I prefer the Max Frost version of the flip.

The Square Set - That's what I want / Come on. South African band. Very cool 45, great Hammond, flashes of brass, chunky bass, smooth vocals.....a winner. My copy is on N'gola records, made in Angola, and suffers from a bit of surface noise toward the end. Oh well! You can't have it all.
                                Everyone tear down your own little wall
                                That keeps you from being a part of it all
                                Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                                You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Working...
                                X