Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: January 2016 finds

Some very interesting finds to start the year off from you guys. Today I took the bulk of my trades to off load them in town

Here's what I got

Lots of variation on this one, I just got their first one off ebay for a tenner so I thought I would give this a go, loads of sampley moments and a whole host of styles, from free jazz to blues to funk. Interesting indeed.

Live triple LP in a nearmint gatefold sleeve for 7 quid, couldnt pass this up, all their best stuff on it too. Bonus!

Never heard of this one, pretty good, I dont like their later stuff but this one I find a bit more appealing. French 68' press

Another one im not familiar with, very tough deep funk with a some killer tracks. 2006 reissue on soul brother records.

Amazing live LP, absolute classic funk mod groover. Not the best live recorded LP but its a long time want.

Just because.

And some killer 45s, personally im not really a big 45 collector, never have been but these 3 are just...hot damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    First buy this year was this.

Mythos- Quasar on sky records. I dont have any feeling in my toes anymore but it was worth it.

i like that...a lot. never heard it before. i can imagine baldelli playing that at a different speed at cosmic club in the early 80's.
    "I don't want to live in the past but it's a nice place to visit."

To be brutally honest I bought or found most of this lot in December but I didn't receive or play most of them until after the 1st so I'm calling them January finds - so there

I took a stroll around a few local haunts just before Xmas and a local shop which usually has zero throughput - the same wall LPs have been there for well over ten year years now - turned up a couple of winners!

The Boa Constrictor & a Natural Vine is great psych tinged folk with a nice weirded out tape echo track and a fuzz blaster too. The Headless Heroes was the big surprise though - an orig of a proper 'wall of 95' record in a local shop!!?? What?? I'm sure no introduction is need for this one. Still sounds like a great LP to me.

The pair of them came in at less than £20

The next one popped up cheap on Discogs and remembered it being a Mr Sayers spin so I nabbed it

...then I remembered it veers from a fuzz laden, drum heavy work of brilliance to being a fucking unlistenable racket and back again several times over the course of each side. I still can't decide if I like it or not - proper mad.

I found this clutch of LPs in a wander around Ashbourne in that dull post Xmas / pre NYE malaise.

The Tyke is an 'almost there' private press. The Carl Douglas has 'Witchfinder General' on it - a 45 which has always escaped my clutches. The ...Both Worlds was a bit of a surprise find in darkest Derbyshire - credible funk on a credible label!

this Rubble / Mod Spin classic dropped through the door on the last post before Xmas - great blue eyed thing it is too!

This long time want was waiting for me when I got home from my extended Xmas break - I've pictured it on it's frankly massive packaging.

Probably the best UK Xian psych / heavy rock LP I've heard and a very tough pull. I've only ever seen it on Utrecht walls until now. I jumped on a bargain (I reckon) virtual copy. Aside from the slightly ill advised reggae track it's a pretty solid LP.

I had a wee trip to see the legend that is Someblokecalledfuz yesterday to hand over some records, have a cuppa and talk some shite. Some trading occurred and I left clutching these

Chuffed to get an orig Xingu - I've had a reissue for ears and it still sounds like a great record to me.'Moby Dick' will be getting a blasting at the Mud this weekend! The Living Stones is Scottish Xian rock / folk - I traded my better copy to Fuz a while back but found that I missed it so was really happy to take his 'lesser copy' which plays well enough on my Technics.

...not a bad start to the year
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Picked up a stash of soundtrack albums today, they were all were £2 each, I hadn't heard of some of the films
    but these were the pick of the bunch along with an unexpected album in a plain white sleeve which I couldn't resist.

Nice! Whenever I see the valichi papers OST I always pass it up, not that it happens very often. The spy with a cold nose has a wicked cover.
    Headless heroes of the apocalypse has been on my want list for a long time too. Fancy ripping some tracks off that out of darkness LP LDJB? Keen to hear some of it.

Isn't always either some kind of Church Service or Mass HG? I must have a few of them by now dotted around cant bring myself to get rid.

Some interesting soundtrack finds, I know a sax player online who played on 'Those Magnificent Men...' known him for years virtually and he's never revealed his identity and that's one of the few records I know he played on. He's full of great stories mind you going back to playing sax on a few Joe Meek sessions.

I googled the chapel it was recorded in and I've written to the vicar and sent her some scans and offered to send her a download,
    brownie points in heaven, hopefully

Nice one, most I find are pretty local to the area however the last one I found in a white cardboard sleeve was from a GCE music examination in Birmingham from 1977, the questions that is not a random recording of scribbling pencils!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    I googled the chapel it was recorded in and I've written to the vicar and sent her some scans and offered to send her a download,

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    OOOOOOOOOf

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Fancy ripping some tracks off that out of darkness LP LDJB? Keen to hear some of it.
    Can do.

Most of it is youtube-able

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Stan Getz + Eddie Sauter - 'Mickey One' Soundtrack.

I picked up the Getz-Sauter 'Focus' album last year, one of my favourite finds of the year. So I had to grab this when I saw it, and it's also great. Never seen the film, but from what I can make its some kind of psychodrama - the score reflects the protagonist's varying states of mind. To mirror the paranoia, pandemonium, peacefulness (and whatnot) Sauter composes all over the shop in different crime jazzy styles, and Getz improvises through it all... great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post

I picked up the Getz-Sauter 'Focus' album last year, one of my favourite finds of the year. So I had to grab this when I saw it, and it's also great. Never seen the film, but from what I can make its some kind of psychodrama - the score reflects the protagonist's varying states of mind. To mirror the paranoia, pandemonium, peacefulness (and whatnot) Sauter composes all over the shop in different crime jazzy styles, and Getz improvises through it all... great.
    The film is definitely worth watching - the opening sequence of the film is particularly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    To be brutally honest I bought or found most of this lot in December but I didn't receive or play most of them until after the 1st so I'm calling them January finds - so there

I took a stroll around a few local haunts just before Xmas and a local shop which usually has zero throughput - the same wall LPs have been there for well over ten year years now - turned up a couple of winners!

The Boa Constrictor & a Natural Vine is great psych tinged folk with a nice weirded out tape echo track and a fuzz blaster too. The Headless Heroes was the big surprise though - an orig of a proper 'wall of 95' record in a local shop!!?? What?? I'm sure no introduction is need for this one. Still sounds like a great LP to me.

The next one popped up cheap on Discogs and remembered it being a Mr Sayers spin so I nabbed it

...then I remembered it veers from a fuzz laden, drum heavy work of brilliance to being a fucking unlistenable racket and back again several times over the course of each side. I still can't decide if I like it or not - proper mad.

I found this clutch of LPs in a wander around Ashbourne in that dull post Xmas / pre NYE malaise.

The Tyke is an 'almost there' private press. The Carl Douglas has 'Witchfinder General' on it - a 45 which has always escaped my clutches. The ...Both Worlds was a bit of a surprise find in darkest Derbyshire - credible funk on a credible label!

this Rubble / Mod Spin classic dropped through the door on the last post before Xmas - great blue eyed thing it is too!

This long time want was waiting for me when I got home from my extended Xmas break - I've pictured it on it's frankly massive packaging.

Probably the best UK Xian psych / heavy rock LP I've heard and a very tough pull. I've only ever seen it on Utrecht walls until now. I jumped on a bargain (I reckon) virtual copy. Aside from the slightly ill advised reggae track it's a pretty solid LP.

I had a wee trip to see the legend that is Someblokecalledfuz yesterday to hand over some records, have a cuppa and talk some shite. Some trading occurred and I left clutching these

Chuffed to get an orig Xingu - I've had a reissue for ears and it still sounds like a great record to me.'Moby Dick' will be getting a blasting at the Mud this weekend! The Living Stones is Scottish Xian rock / folk - I traded my better copy to Fuz a while back but found that I missed it so was really happy to take his 'lesser copy' which plays well enough on my Technics.

...not a bad start to the year
    Ooh, great work on getting a copy of Out of Darkness. If it was via a certain popular auction site I was one of those you outbid. I've got a CD with extra tracks but would love to snag a copy sometime for a bit less than silly money. What's the Living Stones album like? I've got a growing collection of Xian rock and folk, and recommend Joshua if you're after other Key Records rarities ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonovox View Post

Cool. Occasionally, I meet the daughter of Stan Getz at my lunchtime charity shop trawl. She's not after records, though, just general vintage/retro stuff. She did ask me to look out for records by her dad as she doesn't have that many.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_smackhead View Post
    i like that...a lot. never heard it before. i can imagine baldelli playing that at a different speed at cosmic club in the early 80's.
    It's usually not expensive. Sky records sold plenty of records in Germany and they are usually in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    If the Church desn't want it.... the sound archive at the National Library of Wales would gladly take it.
    Rock on Penderyn

Ray McVay here is a treat with a beaty version of Time is Tight and Light My Fire. Probably VV classics but there you go, I bought it. Dane Donohue is smooth jazzy which I can sometimes take or leave but is coinciding with a smooth jazzy spell I'm having. Nigel Martinez is some more jazz-funk see above and Brooklyn Dreams is more disco-y but fits the same bill. John Brown Junior's Go-Go Music have some groovy moments and I don't know how I'm not aware of them from years haunting this site.

Sonny Criss is more jazz funk - all these jazz funk lps scored in different shops believe it or not. It's quite Creed Taylor which I can take or leave. I just gave away some Hubert Laws and Jeremy Steigs in a leave moment. Mainstream Swing band is straight up swing and not for me. I bought it for some Neil Hefti tunes. Brasilia is a summery Polydor special. Porter Wagoner contains The Rubber Room which is as bonkers as its subject and lots of other signs that PW was a slightly odd man. The Little Richard Story is comprehensive and not as rude as the book. I seem to have photographed the back. Jimmie Rodgers is lovely listening.

I made a mental note to buy Best Kept Secret and then I saw it. Great lp that fits my smooth jazz start to 2016. Burl Ives is Burl Ives. Les Baxter is bossatastic and a bit summery for January. Roger Wagner is smooth and easy. Take a Break is a bit disappointing really. Paco Ibanez needs a listen another time.

The two on the right are a 33cx and an LXT. I don't know whether they're worth billions on popsike but I use the labels as a decent benchmark for building a classical collection. Other benchmarks - 20th century composers, and the words Serenade for Strings. Gospel Gems is a 1971 collection on Specialty featuring Sam Cooke and the The Blind Boys of Alabama amongst others. Its a cracker.

Some British Accents and Dialogues is find of the month. Samples of regional accents from across Britain from 1971. Short recordings of people telling tales of various things. Very charming and an interesting document of history.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    John Brown Junior's Go-Go Music have some groovy moments and I don't know how I'm not aware of them from years haunting this site.
    Good going to find both in one go - I've had one of them for years, but never seen it or the other one again. Rumour has it they are actually Roy Budd, but can't remember where I heard that... probably here

Nice find on the 'Les Baxter' I see few of his albums in the wilds these days unless its that 'continental' one, see that everywhere. Never bothered with 'Well Kept Secret' for years until someone kindly donated one on here and its a great album, his best imo. (not that I'm ever likely to hear them all!) Think I have a rip of that 'accents and dialects' Does it feature a woman talking about being a 'scullery maid' and someone 'not knowing what an egg was''?

Solitary charity shop find. Lately, that has been the new normal. One curious and interesting find. Can't help but thinking that there WAS a haul, and this was overlooked.
    It is just too obscure to be in most random collections.
    Still, can't complain. This is a 1981 12" on the New Hormones label. Sounds like a rougher and more monotone The Fall. I'd heard one or two tracks by them before.
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Does it feature a woman talking about being a 'scullery maid' and someone 'not knowing what an egg was''?
    I haven't sat down and listened all through yet, just heard a few. The Black Country one describes the ritual of bringing the coal in on New Year's day. I had to listen to that first to remind me of home.

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    If the Church desn't want it.... the sound archive at the National Library of Wales would gladly take it.
    never got back to me yet, but if they do I'll let you know

Little trip out this morning:

[IMG][/IMG]

A lesser spotted 'Chacksfield' (at least in my experience) looks interesting from an Exotica point of view, another copy of 'Fire and Ice' (I kind of imagine a lot of people bought this after he went completely fromage played it once then never again.) because it was mint and I needed some change so I could buy the 'Tom Rapp' album from the 'Mind' shop but I don't care its a great album. The Tom Rapp is credited to 'Pearls before Swine' on discogs and now as I look on the the inner too but its post that period, our very own Bradx offers a review on the page puts it in context, really looking forward to it as I loved 'Stardancer' (think 'for the dead in space' is my fave track on my swap CD). 'Humphrey Lyttelton' is probably trad but I may be in for a surprise and I think I ballsed up buying the 'Floyd Cramer' and 2 'Iwan Rebroff' albums, the bouzouki drew me in but will see. I don't think there is much call for Russian Dancing in this house at the moment and Floyds track list doesn't intrigue. Oh and a 'Joe Walsh' reissue on EMI's 'Fame' budget re-release label.

Incidentally the 'Tom Rapp' is from the same shop I found 'Stardancer' and the massive haul of library records I got for quid. Its a funny old shop from the sign outside you would think its still a beauty salon. They also have no till just write it down and put your money in a tin, proper old school junk/charity shop. I love it I just need to get into their backroom now they only had 5 records in today. Oh I did pick up a Blue Note but it was on CD 'Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack' 50p well spent!
    Last edited by amidar; 09-01-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: grammar for a change.

Elizabeth Caumont - s/t

French smooth jazz from 1986, but don't that out you off, this is really rather good!

http://www.discogs.com/Elizabeth-Cau...elease/2602309

Here's the late night burner from the album, wicked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMAY7qRDNv0
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

A trip out to the market guy and managed to find where he'd wedged some of his more recent arrivals:

[IMG][/IMG]

Tubby Hayes Cleo Laine - Jazz Date Probably the most common Tubby album you will see its not Mint by a long way but should clean up well enough.

Peggy Lee - Basin Street East Ex 'Vinyl Tap' pulling the stickers off seems its gone from 'make offer' to into the out piles. Not a problem have a liking for Miss Lee at the moment.

Various - Folk Music From Around The World On Capitol could be interesting but you never know with this era of comp on Capitol, probably cheese.

Cottonwood South - Same Demo Copy Import. Not a band I've ever heard knowingly.

Los Douradios Believe most probably know this, the market guy lets me take stuff for free or virtually nothing as I'm always giving him records but I bought this from the 'Red Cross' who have a new 'hip' manager who marks her vinyl up crazily and I mean proper crazy prices on some things. This though was Minty for 3 quid! Everybody Happy, probably me more so.

Mohammed El-Bakkar - Music of the African Arab Vol 3 Possibly the most sexist album cover (apols for the poor pics but probably for the best in this case) I've seen but it had to be bought, will need a good clean mind you.

More from the Market:

[IMG][/IMG]

Some private presses (signed of course) an 'Arthur Baker' produced 12" in Minty condition and some 'Soft Rock' on Boulevard if your definition of Soft Rock is Vultures style twangy guitar and not 'Whitesnake! Labi needs a bit of a clean might have a deep scratch not too sure. Probably inspired by this thread Harry Belafonte... Not forgetting 'The Mike Morton Congregation - Non Stop top 20' couple of sellers want nearly 20 squid for this on discogs do they know something I dont, probably not, its kind of medley style but with dubbed on applause so easily editable if I hear something I like. Oh and not in the picture a sleeveless mint first edition of 'Camel - Mirage' on 'Deram' a prog band I've never quite got with, probably because they have such a crap name, I'll give them one more go and up my MOJO/Prog Archives cred a bit not that it needs it done all that once already.

Humphrey Lyttelton' is probably trad but I may be in for a surprise and I think I ballsed up buying the 'Floyd Cramer' and 2 'Iwan Rebroff' albums, the bouzouki drew me in but will see. I don't think there is much call for Russian Dancing in this house at the moment and Floyds track list doesn't intrigue.
    Rebroff is super common in the charity crates round here. I think he had his heyday in the mid70s and was on Swedish telly, so he sold a bit then. And those are balalaikas not bouzoukis? But acc. to wikipedia he was of German Jewish/Greek origin.

Yep 'bouzouki' is more like a longer mandolin, same family anyway I think, feel free to correct me. I kind of knew I was wrong as I typed it, but it did draw me in, think one of those 'Rebroffs' is a French edition so he may have been big there too. Still not given them any airtime lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Rebroff is super common in the charity crates round here. I think he had his heyday in the mid70s and was on Swedish telly, so he sold a bit then. And those are balalaikas not bouzoukis? But acc. to wikipedia he was of German Jewish/Greek origin.

A lesser spotted 'Chacksfield' (at least in my experience) looks interesting from an Exotica point of view, another copy of 'Fire and Ice' (I kind of imagine a lot of people bought this after he went completely fromage played it once then never again.) because it was mint and I needed some change so I could buy the 'Tom Rapp' album from the 'Mind' shop but I don't care its a great album. The Tom Rapp is credited to 'Pearls before Swine' on discogs and now as I look on the the inner too but its post that period, our very own Bradx offers a review on the page puts it in context, really looking forward to it as I loved 'Stardancer' (think 'for the dead in space' is my fave track on my swap CD).
    Any excuse to ruminate on the great series of records cut by Tom Rapp and the various incarnations of Pearls Before Swine. (He has a little badge with Pearls before Swine printed on Sunforest... so that's why it's credited to both. You have to look carefully to spot it).

The first 2 ESP albums are embryonic acid-folk and never bettered imo.

Fancy you seeing my discogs review. I just had a quick shufti and spotted several glaring errors (mainly in punctuation, not factual I'm pleased to say).... so I corrected it.
    Don't even remember writing it actually.

Hope you like the album - the songs I mention (Prayers Of Action, Forbidden City and Harding Street) are immensely strong I think. Profound and deep as you like.
    Stardancer is another good one - although maybe just a notch down.

The other good one from the era that Tom himself didn't even know about when it was first released (it's made up of demos, not finished recordings, but still sounds good. Reprise issued it without asking him) is the Familiar Songs album on Reprise. Worth a go if you see it cheap.

His other masterpiece (aside from the first 2 ESPs as mentioned) is the Use Of Ashes album which contains several of his finest songs.

The Water label demos and live cuts double CD The Wizard of Is is also worth a go.

After Sunforest Tom Rapp quit the music biz and became a human rights lawyer. He made a comeback album about 10 years ago but I didn't like it so much.

I wrote to him once and he wrote straight back, I have the letter somewhere. I wrote again much later and got no reply.
    a spent force

That's the second review I've come across of yours on discogs the first was that psyche comp if you remember. Yep I saw the badge, one of the first things I noticed. You gave me some great insight into the man when I found 'Stardancer' late last year and I've been on the look out for anything related since. Its only had one play so far, not as instant as 'Stardancer' but it's going to get further plays for sure. I really love 'For the Dead in Space' off that album, I have no idea what its about, its not clicked but something has on an emotional level with that song. Its almost like the lament of a astronaut floating off into the depths of space and thinking of life the universe and everything.

I thought I'd have a search on discogs for a review as they only come up if you select the 'all versions' section of an album. They really should fix that and have it automatically link to all releases of the same.

Geez, Just thinking about it I'm your Discogs stalker!

Quote Originally Posted by bradx View Post
    Any excuse to ruminate on the great series of records cut by Tom Rapp and the various incarnations of Pearls Before Swine. (He has a little badge with Pearls before Swine printed on Sunforest... so that's why it's credited to both. You have to look carefully to spot it).

The first 2 ESP albums are embryonic acid-folk and never bettered imo.

Fancy you seeing my discogs review. I just had a quick shufti and spotted several glaring errors (mainly in punctuation, not factual I'm pleased to say).... so I corrected it.
    Don't even remember writing it actually.

Hope you like the album - the songs I mention (Prayers Of Action, Forbidden City and Harding Street) are immensely strong I think. Profound and deep as you like.
    Stardancer is another good one - although maybe just a notch down.

The other good one from the era that Tom himself didn't even know about when it was first released (it's made up of demos, not finished recordings, but still sounds good. Reprise issued it without asking him) is the Familiar Songs album on Reprise. Worth a go if you see it cheap.

His other masterpiece (aside from the first 2 ESPs as mentioned) is the Use Of Ashes album which contains several of his finest songs.

The Water label demos and live cuts double CD The Wizard of Is is also worth a go.

After Sunforest Tom Rapp quit the music biz and became a human rights lawyer. He made a comeback album about 10 years ago but I didn't like it so much.

I wrote to him once and he wrote straight back, I have the letter somewhere. I wrote again much later and got no reply.