Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: January 2016 finds

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I really love 'For the Dead in Space' off that album, I have no idea what its about, its not clicked but something has on an emotional level with that song. Its almost like the lament of a astronaut floating off into the depths of space and thinking of life the universe and everything.
    That song contains themes that Rapp worked into songs on more than one occasion.
    Another one is Rocket Man off The Use of Ashes which is about an astronaut's wife and son who never know if the father is going to come home from space. One day they see the sun flare and they realise that his spaceship has fallen into the star. After that they only go out when it rains.

The final verse is really wonderful:

"Tears are often jewel-like
    My mother's went unnoticed by my father
    For his jewels were the stars
    And in my father's eyes I knew he had to find
    In the sanctity of distance something brighter than a star..."

Bernie Taupin admitted that he stole the title for the Elton John song.

When I was a nipper in the early 70s my mum and dad used to get me good music books for xmas etc.
    One book was Future Rock by David Downing which explores various SF/music related themes and that was how I first heard of Tom Rapp as he writes a bit about him in the book.

Then my friend Lyndon (he of the enormous record collection as a 16 yr old) lent me some Pearls Before Swine albums back around 1977.
    One album was called Beautiful Lies You Could Live In ..... and has one of Tom's greatest songs 'A Life' which hit me like a falling anvil back then.

I have written 596 reviews on Discogs (apparently). I don't know why I bother really .... but nice that you've seen a couple and feel moved to comment!
    Read all 596 and I will send you a prize.
    a spent force

Lol, Thanks for the insight, interesting about 'Rocket Man' almost like he took the entire premise never mind the name.

Sounds an interesting book always been interested in science fiction themes in music well before X Files and such made it cool not that, that is a bad thing.

Just too add it always offers some good information from a more informed music listener reading the reviews on the discogs site probably more so than on say amazon or the shit slinging fest that is YouTube so never think you've wasted your time in point of fact you've probably turned a few people on to things they might not have bothered with otherwise. Its all good.

Although you'd think with their increased turnover this year they could make it as I say have those reviews across all different versions of a release as opposed to just on the 'all versions' page. I tend probably like most to search via cat number and they are easily missed that way. Might write an 'Angry from Norwich' email but then it'll probably turn out to be me not having something set right!

As an aside seeing pics of their offices in a recent news article made 'Wernham Hogg' look an exciting place to work! Not a turntable in sight either or any 'vinyls' come to that.
    Last edited by amidar; 10-01-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: discogs reviews

Last friday, 1st shop: K-West

Tomita - The Planets (1977) RCA
    My favourite Tomita album and I don't appear to have a copy of it at the moment ... seriously, it's great ... like the original on acid ...

Michio Miyagi - Masterpieces Of Koto (1957) Victor
    I like the sound of the koto so I always pick up LPs when they're cheap ... this is OK

Larry Coryell ‎- Lady Coryell (1969)
    This one's really stumping me at the moment. A really weird mix of rock, jazz ... loads of ideas just chucked at it ... one of the most interesting blind buys I've had recently ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I use discogs for hard facts, but ratemymusic for reviews ... I don't trust reviews 100% on a site that is also a marketplace ...

Suspicious Turboellis

Just too add it always offers some good information from a more informed music listener reading the reviews on the discogs site probably more so than on say amazon or the shit slinging fest that is YouTube so never think you've wasted your time in point of fact you've probably turned a few people on to things they might not have bothered with otherwise.

[IMG][/IMG]
    John Deen And The Trakk - Beat '69. Well known, budget label job. Not everyones cup of paisley tea. I think it has some really good tracks on it.

Prince of Wales Stars - Al Capone ep. Hidden in among the cover versions is this little beauty. Sounds like two separate tunes chopped up and reassembled!

OPMC - Firechild / Communication breakdown. Top Dutch groover, with UK singer Barry Webb on vocals. Mint-up.

Sweathog - Hallelujah, mono/stereo promo. Landing somewhere between Hello by Onion, Potliquor, and Let Me Entertain You! A bit anthemic, but it cheers me up no end.

Womb - My baby thinks about the good things / Hang on. Courtesy of Mr Pencilface. I'm going to have to start going through his bins, as I keep picking up bits from his out-pile!
    Banger! Astonishingly, no Youtube clip. Unlucky.

Heatwave - Rastus Ravel......took me ages to find a cheapie. Probably the last on the board to bag one. (Un)fashionably late is the way to roll

Les Lutins - Laissez-nous vivre / Dany. 1st (1967) 45 by Montreal garage band. Proper young group, giving it plenty. Scratchy rhythm guitar, fantastic gtr solo, just about staying with it....still sounds fresh to me.

Keef Hartley - Dance to the music / You and me. Good version of the S&TFS banger.

ages to find one, then like buses , is it easier to find a long time want when you already have it ?!

I think it is Reza. Trouble is, you can't leave the second one can you? Done it twice recently.

A couple of 50pers to kick the week off, which came from a tat seller and were a nice change to the nonsebiscuits the usual 'dealers' sell.
    The Uglys and The Zombies.

record licker

Don't think there are any hard facts as far as music goes just opinion and anything on the internet you have to treat in an anecdotal manner but always good to gain a bit of insight here and there. Would have to be a pretty good review to make me buy something on the strength of it these days but its always interesting to see what others make of things you've already listened to.

I remember as a young teen I used to buy anything the big 3 music papers would say was good, well what I could afford and in most cases was left greatly dissapointed. I think dance culture and when someone at the NME coined the term 'The New Wave of the New Wave' or something equally farcical when I finally thought to myself, bugger this for a game of soldiers + they always seemed to hate the bands I liked at the time.

Thankfully I had a decent library nearby that stocked a good range of CD's and even records when I first started renting music from there which introduced me to whole load of things I'd have otherwise thought was terrible because some coked up journo told me so.

Now we have the internet so at least you can essentially try before you buy which is good in a way and not so in another but so it goes...

Not forgetting the good old car boot sale and charity shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    I use discogs for hard facts, but ratemymusic for reviews ... I don't trust reviews 100% on a site that is also a marketplace ...

Suspicious Turboellis

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    ages to find one, then like buses , is it easier to find a long time want when you already have it ?!

I would imagine your inbox has got fuller!
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Some finds from yesterday mornings quick charity trawl:

Instruments of the Orchestra Commentary by Yehhudi Menhuin Got to be some interesting spoken work snippets here and an education too bonus!

The English Dramatists - Everyman - A Moral Play A Play on 'Argo' from 1976 dont recognise the cast at first glance just characters such as 'God', 'Death' and 'Messenger'

Rodney Franklin - You'll Never Know Demo Copy in Minty condition am expecting late disco.

McKendree Spring - Too Young to Feel this Old These lot have been going for years doing their folky southern thing this is from 76 and on first listen is pleasant enough in places.

Ananda Shankar Experience and State of Bengal Late 90's Asian Dance crossover with the legend. On CD never had a copy so 3 quid well spent.

[IMG][/IMG]

Couple of weird little ethnic techno 12 inchers on the same label, unplayed. The first without the cover art drew me in because it featured a tabla player but it just sounds like a loop to me. A little too fast well a lot and sounds equally as good if not better at 33rpm. I couldn't imagine it in a club setting just doesn't sound right. The coverless one is:

Kundalini Flavours - In A Sentimental Police State Didn't do much for me as said, boring and way too fast.

The next was more interesting with whispered female vocals and the singer playing djembe according to the cover notes:

Eliamr > Ghost Money - Its not your War Don't Fight It If anyone has any info about them I'd be interested, as said the coverless one did nothing for me but this was a bit more interesting. Both seem to have been recorded in Ibiza and the UK on the 'High Strangeness' label.

Check out the reverse for some Profound/Pretentious wittering, you decide. I'm genuinely clueless what any of it relates too but as said curious.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rodney Franklin - You'll Never Know Demo Copy in Minty condition am expecting late disco.
    I bought the 12" at the time from that LP - "the groove" is a top jazz funker, "god bless the blues" proper straight ahead jazz.

Nice.

Larry Coryell's debut as a leader it seems and and a 1969 release too, bet its a good listen. I've always associated him with his mid 70's fusion fromage wouldn't mind hearing it myself because I never knew it existed. I love jazz rock, fusion albums call it what you will from that 68-71 period say just as it was all kicking off.

Sweet, I'm glad my jazzdar was working, the 1980 vintage nearly put me off but thought I'd give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    I bought the 12" at the time from that LP - "the groove" is a top jazz funker, "god bless the blues" proper straight ahead jazz.

Nice.

I hate fusion and jazz rock but it's still entertaining me after the 4th listen. You can almost hear the year!

Larry Coryell's debut as a leader it seems and and a 1969 release too, bet its a good listen. I've always associated him with his mid 70's fusion fromage wouldn't mind hearing it myself because I never knew it existed. I love jazz rock, fusion albums call it what you will from that 68-71 period say just as it was all kicking off.

This has reminded me that I was considering the "Coryell" LP in an Oxfam the other day (also from '69), but I think it was about 15 quid and my wife was telling me to hurry up. Slightly disturbing "naturist family" sleeve and dodgy track titles

This arrived yesterday in a pizza box, Remigio Ducros & Luciano Simoncini's "America Amore Amaro." This came out of the Edi-Pan label archive apparently (along with 4 more)

Nice clean copy and it's one of the better Italian library LP's. It's basically the Italian take on contemporary American music from 1977, so lots of wah-wah, Fender Rhodes and guitar.

it's one of the better Italian library LP's

Quote Originally Posted by tjh392 View Post
    This arrived yesterday in a pizza box, Remigio Ducros & Luciano Simoncini's "America Amore Amaro." This came out of the Edi-Pan label archive apparently (along with 4 more)

Nice to see the use of the hand. Now that Kratgraver's not here the use of the hand was in danger of falling out of fashion. Well done tjh.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

A couple from a junk shop where I have to fight my way past furniture and bicycles ...

Ensemble Bokka from 1968

Vocal Shop from 1967

Musically neither are that interesting, but I always buy them to find out. 100 yen each.

Some less interesting stuff from Sat a.m. flea ... I was still drunk, which is partly the reason ...

not one of my better days ...

how many of you buy while still tipsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan
    Nice to see the use of the hand. Now that Kratgraver's not here the use of the hand was in danger of falling out of fashion. Well done tjh.
    Haha well noticed! Cees disappeared completely then? I guess it's all Instagram now.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh392 View Post
    I guess it's all Instagram now.
    I think you're right.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Some less interesting stuff from Sat a.m. flea ... I was still drunk, which is partly the reason ...

not one of my better days ...

how many of you buy while still tipsy?
    Bosa Rio is not without its charm........ Sergio Mendes on auto pilot but the master still delivers.
    Rock on Penderyn

Seconded.

Just a couple today on an off chance visit, stock photos:

Last edited by amidar; 13-01-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: balls up!

Just a couple today on an off chance visit, stock photos:

Really like the song I'm doing fine now.

2 records by the nice, elegy is a bit shit but it was 6 quid and theres a wicked bassline to sample on the B side, their first one though is amazing, so thanks to treeboy for recommending it. Death Wish OST isnt as good as I remember weirdly enough but the first track is killer. Needed a copy of Tough Guys as I never bothered to buy this amazing soundtrack. The Blood, Sweat and Tears debut LP is underrated imo, loads of lovely jazzy rock riffs and head nod moments and better than their 2nd album which is decent too.
    Now both these Tasavallan Presidentti are hit and miss, Mily Way Moses is more hit and its something I have been wanting for a while but Lambertland is meh
    The staple singers LP is probably one of the best budget soul records you can buy, seriously addictive deep harmonies and last but not least The Groundhogs - Split LP is some pretty heavy blues, decent stuff.

I think 'Lambertland' is great probably their masterwork in my opinion but horses for courses its no floor filler. Give it a chance though might be a grower as its not the most of instant of albums. Can say that about a lot of prog I guess.

I always thought that song was done by someone more famous mermaid but seems they were one hit wonders I suppose, or was it covered by someone else at a later date in the disco era?