Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Makers

Default Music Makers

Who is one? How do you do it? What do you use?

I use an mpc 2000 and ensoniq eps 16+ and I used to buy records only for sampling. I don't do it as much as I used to and now I buy them more for just listening.

I have a guitar too, crafter FEG 780 hollowbody and I use a bunch of native instruments stuff and record some stuff with my mate sometimes.

I like to mimic bluesy psych stuff but im not very good.

I got a maschine for cheap a few weeks ago but I used it once and now it collects dust so im gonna get rid.

Also aquired and sold a number of akai samplers over the years but the mpc is the one I stuck with.

So for those who share a passion for the making of rhythmical, the avante garde, the noisy or if you just like banging on a drum, please do share and if anyone is thinking about starting to do it then get stuck in.

I tend to pucker my lips, leaving a small aperture, and blow. That's it for me

Thing with Samplers once computers and 30 quid full duplex sound cards came out it virtually made them obsolete overnight with the MPC series being the exception and a Hip Hop staple. Ableton Live changed it all again something I wished I pushed myself to use more.

I still have an old akai which I circuit bent with a patchbay on a separate rack blanking plate unfortunately I've never got around to finding a cheap replacement floppy drive for it but I do the use 'test tone' on it, lovely bit of 'Sine Bass'. My intention was to have it as a basic drum machine. Basically I have too many guitars, ukuleles, xylophones, bongos, rackmount synths and fx and a couple of stand alone flat top type things like a 'Korg Ea1 MK 2' but find I use vsti's a lot more especially when it comes to drum machine plugins. I don't get too obsessed about presets but making a conscious effort to program my own beats a lot more. I also have a guitar synth and some toy like guitar hero things that allow me to play synths using those as opposed to keyboard but I generally use live bass and guitar now amazing how the simple things can work the best.

I have a top line soundcard now that can allow me to have 8 things plugged it at once but I did have Line 6 job and I loved the 'Pod Farm' software that came with it so I still use it connected to an old laptop sometime otherwise I have an early 90's roland gfx1000 or something I think, rackmount job that gives me a nice tone I like (I never tweak the settings on it,well a little bit clean, gritty and extreme sustain tones lol).

My advice for what its worth is don't get GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (unless its old analog synths, goes without saying but they cost a small fortune now) learn what hardware you have backwards and if you've got no hardware or hybrid hardware software its truly mind blowing what you can do with a freeware DAW and the wealth of free VSTi and plug in fx that are available (although beware the ones that crash). I use cubase but it's because I grew up with it but I probably only use 25% of what it can actually do.

I remember on his old stuff there's allsorts of weird glitchy drumming on early 'Squarepusher' records and he discovered at the time if he overloaded this 'Boss' drum machine he had with data it started glitching. Thing is these guys hate to mention what they use as it tends to put the price of things up on the second hand market. I'd love some kind of hardware 'SID' device because I love those old 8 bit tones but there are plenty of software based equivalents.

I'm one of these sad people who half understood those Aphex/Not Aphex interviews he conducted around the time of 'Syro' where he was talking about doing crazy stuff using old 80's synths.

I found the post Bradx made on another thread interesting where he talks about really early forms of sampling where he was basically playing stuff in live on a one take or re-record basis until it was in time.

Just passing on what all the good pros say!

GAS is the worst, I ended up with 10 guitars, about 30 pedals and 100s of plug ins. I use one guitar, the same one ive always used. been selling it off all the excess gear for a while now.

I use Cubase, I have ableton, but never used it. I really want to use it, but haven't had chance yet.

Cubase, a pod live, superior drummer and a few plugins has served me well.

limitation when making music are always a positive. if you have access to the world of instruments, you wont use them. if you do it wont sound good. ive found less is more

I agree with Paul limiting yourself with what you use is always a good thing and less head taxing! I always end up using the staples I've found I know how to use.

This is good advice. Whatever you do, don't get in to eurorack, because that way lies ruin. What makes it worse is that we seem to be entering the second golden age of synthesisers. There is some incredible innovation out there from companies both small and large and even the analogue revival synths seem great - see the Korg Minilogue, all the reissued Roland System 500 stuff by Malekko. I've just seen the Arturia Matrixbrute and I am desperately trying to wipe it from my mind.
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Indeed, I recently sold the Maschine mk1 and im getting rid of the EPS 16+ although I did acquire a moog sub phatty today. I have native instruments komplete but I only really use the vintage organs and 60's drummer libraries.

This thread is giving my GAS I've just seen those 'Teenage Engineering' cheapo things and I want the Arcade one now. There's a weird drum machine, a synth and this one, no midi of course or even a box but they look like a lot of fun and you can link them up I think they are about 45-50 quid probably a lot will end up on the bay soon around the 35 quid mark soon enough:

Now I know why I stepped out of the loop!

Deeper Reviews here:

Last edited by amidar; 08-02-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: price

Dammmnnn those pocket things are verrryyyy interesting. My recent moog purchase has crippled me though. The new moog mother 32 looks and sounds fantastic too.

They look pretty fun but more like toys at the end of the day although I'm sure someone will produce a midi mod if they haven't already. I'd swap a 1000 of them for any Moog new or old!

BR is right about a second golden age, I was musing to myself about Raspberry Pi audio projects earlier today, crazy the price of technology compared to only a few years ago. Have fun with your new Moog what did you get? Edit: Ah a Sub-Phatty colour me jealous.

"all the reissued Roland System 500 stuff by Malekko" Yep made me drool...a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Dammmnnn those pocket things are verrryyyy interesting. My recent moog purchase has crippled me though. The new moog mother 32 looks and sounds fantastic too.
    Last edited by amidar; 10-02-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: malekko

Default Mod Modular

I've been a bit of a stranger from the forum for a little while. Apologies, I do try to have a look in from time to time.

This thread is particularly relevant to me. Those who know me can vouch for my record collecting, DJ'ing and putting together mixes but I've always had a desire to produce music. That collection of heady sounds has been an amazing inspiration to start fulfilling that long term ambition. I'm sure many have followed the same path.

I've ended probably going down the most dangerous route for the wallet and for absorbing time = Euro Modular. This has encouraged me to sell off some unessential records to fund putting together my system, which actually has been a useful process to prune the collection.

It's indeed an exciting time with some amazing affordable hybrid synths that bridge both digital and analogue technologies entering the market. That is not forgetting soft synths and apps.

My system and knowledge has been growing over the last two years - I built the box and there's a little bit more room to fill - I'm carefully making up my mind up on my next move.

Cool Beans Veris! I'd love to get into Eurorack modular stuff but even thinking about it makes my brain hurt and my wallet. I've never actually been around someone's place who has put something together, that would probably make it all seem less alien to my head!

Amidar - I used Reason ( computer DAW) for a few years before taking the plunge, I found I enjoyed flipping the racks and patching most of all. The starting point was the affordable Microbrute, which has a small patch bay - I purchased one module at a time ( second hand was most cost effective) to get my head around the concept. I often look at a busy patch and think - what...???

Yep not used Reason for a few years but remember you could flip the modules around and patch the virtual leads around, really cool feature. That was probably an excellent way of getting your head around it.

I'm not too hot on sound synthesis never have been, programming beats, cutting up samples, twisting knobs and playing guitar has always been my thing. One day I'll get around to getting an understanding of it all I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by veris View Post
    Amidar - I used Reason ( computer DAW) for a few years before taking the plunge, I found I enjoyed flipping the racks and patching most of all. The starting point was the affordable Microbrute, which has a small patch bay - I purchased one module at a time ( second hand was most cost effective) to get my head around the concept. I often look at a busy patch and think - what...???

Is that Metropolis I see lurking under those wires? Disting, Clouds and Maths too. Lovely stuff.
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRegent View Post
    Is that Metropolis I see lurking under those wires? Disting, Clouds and Maths too. Lovely stuff.
    Cheers, They are all amazing modules, even better together, way to many choices and options out there.

How about yourself?

[/QUOTE]

Nice, make noise pressure points! i want to build a cheap box with a couple of oscillators and some sequencer/modulation stuff to control my moog with. The moog mother 32 looks tempting though.

Would love to hear you record some noises from that beast.

The Make Noise Maths ( modulator /mixer) with Pressure Points (plus Brains to make it a step sequencer) were my first modules I used with my Microbrute synth. Get a mult or some stackable cables and you're off. There are loads more power and skiff options than when I started.

I've put some recent compositions here - VERIS I tend to record a number of alternative performances / improvisations from a patch and choose the most coherent. Keeping some semblance of melodic content is important but I also like a bit of atonal dissonance.

Nicely!

don't look at the Catalinbread sabbara cadabra pedal. its expensive, looks lovely and sounds exactly like the first 4 Black Sabbath albums

http://www.catalinbread.com/product/sabbra-cadabra/

Quote Originally Posted by veris View Post
    I've been a bit of a stranger from the forum for a little while. Apologies, I do try to have a look in from time to time.

This thread is particularly relevant to me. Those who know me can vouch for my record collecting, DJ'ing and putting together mixes but I've always had a desire to produce music. That collection of heady sounds has been an amazing inspiration to start fulfilling that long term ambition. I'm sure many have followed the same path.

I've ended probably going down the most dangerous route for the wallet and for absorbing time = Euro Modular. This has encouraged me to sell off some unessential records to fund putting together my system, which actually has been a useful process to prune the collection.

It's indeed an exciting time with some amazing affordable hybrid synths that bridge both digital and analogue technologies entering the market. That is not forgetting soft synths and apps.

My system and knowledge has been growing over the last two years - I built the box and there's a little bit more room to fill - I'm carefully making up my mind up on my next move.

F**k me! It's the groovy woovy version of the London Underground map

Interesting band co-op site...

I never know what to do with the music I make I generally file it away by year and keep random folders full of oddments of duff takes, random weirdness, field recordings and the like. I occasionally collate it altogether into a larger piece so I can clear space and make use of it. I've put together so much stuff over the last few years I've lost track although the most recent stuff always ends up on my soundcloud accounts so I can listen to it anywhere.

This is mostly from 2014 a random collection of snippets of music and field recordings put together in a random manner with added bass, spoken word and effects. I was going for a lo-fi Hauntology vibe like it was the work of some lunatic found on an old reel to reel.

I'd forgotten I'd used the Albert Hoffman sample in a previous mixcloud piece and other parts the more I listen which kind of sums me up anyway its cleared some HDD space and closed a chapter of that period. I really spent little time putting it all together and its more an experiment in randomness than anything else a kind of 'Faust Tapes' like exercise but nowhere near as good. It means I can start thinking about the other projects I've been working towards over the last year or so and I've learnt some things in the process.

Warning Sleep Inducing in every way possible:

https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/d...final-mixdown/

Oh I was going to mix it down to VHS then to tape for the sake of messing about and experimenting but in the end I couldn't be bothered but its something I'm going to with something else in the future. It sounds like fun, cheap and I enjoy generally faffing about with electrical things for the sake of it, thinking I can get some odd effects going on playing with the tape as it records and quite possibly electrocuting myself in the process. I do really love doing what I do I'd go completely hatstand if I didn't have this outlet.
    Last edited by amidar; 08-10-2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: VHS

Been collecting gear and records for around the same time. Here's a few pics of the more interesting stuff. there's also a bunch of guitars, a vibraphone and a drumkit hidden around the house!

Blimey pgtofton is that a Mellotron under the Moog source under the space echo on the middle pic? Mouthwatering water stuff mate.

I'd love a set of vibes or a marimba, no way I'd get away with fitting them in this house as it stands not forgetting what they cost. Do have some half decent Xylophones though.

Quote Originally Posted by pgofton View Post
    Here's a few pics of the more interesting stuff.
    Mellotron, Moog and and a couple of tape echoes - Very nice

Mellotron in good order?

Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    Mellotron, Moog and and a couple of tape echoes - Very nice

Mellotron in good order?
    Yeah, pretty good. Few warbly notes but that's their nature. Belonged to Rick Wakeman, of all people.

I've never met anyone who's owned a 'Mellotron' or even been in the same room as one except at gigs of course. I have had a faff with a 'Moog - Source' though which I remember was very unique sounding and good for pads. The guy found it in a skip along with a 'Wasp' and one of those Tandy Moogs, lucky sod.

That looks like one of those old Italian suitcase organs at the bottom something like an Elka or something? I've had something similar if not the same but my rule is I must use it some composition before I get rid. I still have an old Crumar Electric Piano, it sounds rotten but its such a heavy beast its used to prop up some shelves in my studio. The beauty of investing in music gear is at worst you always break even after your initial investment. I have too many guitars too mention but my best ever carboot find was a full midi guitar setup minus the guitar including pickup, couple of leads and a GI-20 controller box. There was also a a couple of line 6 toneports and a cheap guitar multi fx in the box alongside various cables. 30 the lot, I couldn't get myself away from that stall and back to the car quick enough.

I found a home built 'Trancendant 2000' once in an awful cabinet that weighed a ton but it was broken beyond repair.

Yeah, pretty good. Few warbly notes but that's their nature. Belonged to Rick Wakeman, of all people.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I've never met anyone who's owned a 'Mellotron' or even been in the same room as one except at gigs of course. I have had a faff with a 'Moog - Source' though which I remember was very unique sounding and good for pads. The guy found it in a skip along with a 'Wasp' and one of those Tandy Moogs, lucky sod.

That looks like one of those old Italian suitcase organs at the bottom something like an Elka or something? I've had something similar if not the same but my rule is I must use it some composition before I get rid. I still have an old Crumar Electric Piano, it sounds rotten but its such a heavy beast its used to prop up some shelves in my studio. The beauty of investing in music gear is at worst you always break even after your initial investment. I have too many guitars too mention but my best ever carboot find was a full midi guitar setup minus the guitar including pickup, couple of leads and a GI-20 controller box. There was also a a couple of line 6 toneports and a cheap guitar multi fx in the box alongside various cables. 30 the lot, I couldn't get myself away from that stall and back to the car quick enough.

I found a home built 'Trancendant 2000' once in an awful cabinet that weighed a ton but it was broken beyond repair.
    Yeah, I was the same. I've had a lot of different synths and keyboards over the years and sort of traded my way up to the Mellotron, Wurlitzer EP, Moog and a couple of Rolands. I've had them for a while and I know them, and they do pretty much what I want. Would be nice to have a Jupiter or Modular or something, but really what else would it add? I had a few Crumars over the years. Like a lot of the cheaper synths they do one thing really well. I had a whole bunch like that (and still have a few smaller Casiotones and Portasounds) but just needed the space more than that one thing...

The organ is an old italian portable, a Capri. Does that Farfisa thing absolutely fine.

The Space Echo was 50, years ago. most of the other stuff wasn't that cheap, but got some good deals. The Mellotron was traded for a Mesa Boogie amp plus cash.

Agree about the using stuff. funnily enough, they stuff that gets the most use ATM are the standard softsynths in Logic- been doing a bit of library/advert music, and they need to be flexible...

Ha - More interesting still! Any mods? What sounds did you get? Anything beyond the factory stuff?