Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 finds

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

Still, there were better things were sitting in a charity shop box!

A rare hoard in a chazza. Tower Of Power's Sparkling In the Sand in its full length form is a beautiful thing, one of my long time absolute favourites. Get the album.

That Loleatta Holloway 45 can be picked up stupidly cheap for such a great slice of deep soul.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I sold my scratched copy of the 'Bumpers' comp a few years ago and have wanted it back ever since but I never see it out and about anymore and it always seems to go for 20 quid inc postage on eBay these days.
    I was chuffed to pick up a copy for £2 in a chazza a couple of years ago. Great collection.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post

Always need to purchase anything titled "Super Dude". This is good enough to warrant picking up Super Dude II if I ever see it.
    Great album from a master (RIP). Unfortunately I don't believe there was ever a Super Dude II. Lots of other good finds too.

These Feb finds have whetted my appetite again, have done virtually no digging this year so far. Just spent a long weekend in Paris with wife and friends. I had suppressed the digging urge as knew there would be little or no chance on that front. Did slip in a bit of research on the Sunday morning to find that a few promising (and close-ish) shops were closed on the final two days of our visit Also passed one that did not open for another 2 hours, and walking to the station at the end of the trip in a direction not previously explored walked past another one just around the corner from where we were staying. Doh. It was obviously not meant to be.

Yeah its a great sampler, do I need it probably not but it alerted me to some good stuff back in the 90's pre 'Solid Air' John Martyn for one and 'King Crimson' probably more a nostalgia thing but its a nice selection of tracks, similar with the Arnie sporting 'Rockbuster' comp I could probably lose that but for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    It's got some lovely stuff on there, John and Beverley Martin and Nick Drake on the same side for one. The same charity shop had the CBS Fill Your Head with Rock sampler and I left it behind purely because my dad's got it - cue 'odd reasons to leave a record behind' thread.
    Last edited by amidar; 12-02-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: space

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I've never heard that 'Jan Hammer and Jerry Goodman' collaboration at least I don't think I have, what year is it?
    1974, I rate it quite highly, very nice indeed, plus there's moog on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Fancy is essentially a one break LP. Not a lot else on there, nice break though.

And 3rd Avenue Blues Band has a great version of 'It's Your Thing' and 'Mean Greens' is pretty good also. And an excellent cover.
    Yeah the cover got me excited, the version of Mean Greens is damn good.

Sweet, same year as 'Horacee Arnold - Tales of the Exonerated Flea' think they are both on that too. I used to love all that 'Jan Hammer' on Mini Moog vs 'John Mclaughlin' on guitar call/response thing they did in Mahavishnu Orchestra together.

Edit: Nope no Jerry Goodman on that lots of Mini Moog though and reminded me I must get a copy of 'Horacee Arnold - Tribe' on vinyl!

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    1974, I rate it quite highly, very nice indeed, plus there's moog on it.

I won 2 x boxes of old tosh in an auction yesterday except for a few hidden gems which I put to one side,
    but what I did discover down the side of one of the boxes was this lovely Readers Digest record catalogue .
    I have quite a few of these old LP booklets now but this is the first time I have seen this one and I am sure,
    nay positive at least 2 of you will be excited to see some scans from it, so here ya go

unused RD stamps in the centre of the booklet!

and a useful price list insert

I must have seen the vast majority of those box sets on many occasions some more than others (they are always Mint) but I don't think I've ever seen 'Golden Guitar Magic' ever or the Organ one. I know as I'd probably buy both albeit not for any of the above prices. I paid 50p for my box set of 'Mood Music for Relaxation...' I have no idea why, it didn't relax me in the main although it put me in a bad mood at points.

Lordy, I've even bought 'The Happy Trumpeter' and that came free with the 'Bygraves' box set!

the Organ one is all church/concert/cinema organ stuff and not very exciting at that IIRC.

Found these today:
    Wavemaker - New Atlantis
    https://www.discogs.com/Wavemaker-Ne...elease/1550693
    ex-Radiophonic bod. Based on some Francis Bacon thing (not read the insert yet), but the "shirt off" portraits on the back hinted it might be a bit more funky than proggy. Listening now, and it's not bad. Slightly spacey synth stuff with a slight groove at times.

New Percussion Group Of Amsterdam - Go Between
    https://www.discogs.com/New-Percussi...elease/5558758
    Looked interesting, all percussion - marimbas etc.

NPGoA does look interesting B. Any chance of a detailed critique from you at some point?

Bruford well known of course. I suspect that I have a Japanese marimba LP somewhere. Liner notes have composers talking up Keiko Abe as a phenom.

Anyone else got this?

You probably have but not in this homemade sleeve ... it's actually Beatles Studio Sessions Volume One ... and not an especially interesting bootleg either ...

https://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Stud...elease/4550262
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I also decided to dip my toe into Maria Callas, one from a huge box of cheap opera LPs at the flea market:

I think I'm at the beginning of a very steep learning curve ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    NPGoA does look interesting B. Any chance of a detailed critique from you at some point?

Bruford well known of course. I suspect that I have a Japanese marimba LP somewhere. Liner notes have composers talking up Keiko Abe as a phenom.
    will try and write something useful! there's a few reviews online of it too. Not listening yet, other that an quick needle drop to see if the 3 quid was well spent.

Also picked up Wolfgang Flür's (Kraftwerk drummer) autobiography for a pound, which looks interesting

Whenever I went to a gig I'd always go to a record fair later on and there was always a guy selling cassette boots of gigs most of the time I'd find the one I'd been to sounding like it was recorded in someones pocket. I always bought them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    I also decided to dip my toe into Maria Callas, one from a huge box of cheap opera LPs at the flea market:

I think I'm at the beginning of a very steep learning curve ...
    I'll ask my wife for recommendations if you want. she's big on La Divina.
    Goes right over my head, to be honest, but I'm always finding Lucia di Lammermoor in the Cd player.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

A few from recent times.

OOOOFFFFF Nice one Harry!

A few from me from the the last couple of months.

This first lot were predominantly from the charities. The Commitment was from a Battersea charity and is fantastic, apart from the crack in the vinyl which I hadn't noticed and which affects the first track on each side. But what an LP! It meant that I bought the Born Waldon Robert Cassotto which is equally good. Alas, Doctor Doolittle is a very different beast and will be moved on.

Big Joe was a nice rootsy surprise from an otherwise overpriced East Dulwich charity shop. The rest were all from SW9 charities. Millie's a spare, Franti's for record tokens and the white label is a test pressing of a Michael Auger comp called Augernization.

These ones were all from proper shops - both real life and online. The first five were from a newly-opened shop called Tome Records in South Bermondsey. Great stock, good prices and highly recommended. More info here.

Haven't listened to the Gentle Giant yet. Main Ingredient has a few nice numbers (I'm liking 'You can call me Rover'). The Voices of East Harlem replaces my reissue - some cracking tunes on this Curtis (and Leroy Hutson) produced LP. A bit underwhelmed by the Milton Nascimento reissue. Tudo Que Você Podia Ser is the best tune but Quarteto Em Cy's version blows it out of the water. I'd never heard of Joy of Cooking but enjoyed this folky/jazzy rock with a female singer.

Massive Attack super limited edition bizness. Not really doing it for me tbh but I'm unlikely to regret the purchase.

Vic Mars loveliness and well known here. Think there are still some second pressings available if you missed the first press.

Chris McGregor from Peckham's Rye Wax. Yet to break the seal but a quick Youtube suggests it's the kind of jazz I like (funky and horn heavy). Honey Ltd is so good that I'm desperate to delve deep into Hazlewood productions. Nancy and Lee never did much for me but now I'm fiending for a copies of the Cowboy and the Lady and Cowboy in Sweden for me. Anyone?

A nice set of eBay cheapies. Think I just need One World before I can call the John Martyn collection complete. Graham Bond is an excellent live set. Willie Mitchell has a couple of stand-outs that sound like Menahan Street Band/El Michels Affair numbers.

Very disappointed by the Nick Ingman. I caved in after deciding I was unlikely to find one on a charity shop. This will be heading out again soon. Gilberto Gil is top notch and was a a very agreeable eBay best offer. Incredible String Band LP is shite. I've had about four of their LPs. They've all been crap. I thought this one might be different.

Lee Dorsey a spare that I'll give to a friend. Everyone likes Lee Dorsey. Beat 69 is better than its cover suggests with a few decent tracks and that Euro exploito feel. Rene and Angela LP to join my 7" and 12" of Secret Rendezvous.

And these last ones are a mixture of eBay cheapies and charity shop. I always struggle to pass the McRaes when this LP has The Rub on it. That used to be a DJing fave that. The Lee Dorsey comp will go the same way as the LP above. I repeat - everyone loves Lee Dorsey. Last two from Walton charities when down visiting my gran. Hair is mint, Donny less so.

WF

I picked up the 2nd press of the Vic Mars. Played it once. Left me feeling really down in the dumps. Maybe I was in the wrong mood? I thought I would find it uplifting. I didn't. I'm a bit loath to play it again now. Funny, because I skipped through a few tracks on the bandcamp page and thought it sounded good at that time.
    Seconded on Lee Dorsey.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    I picked up the 2nd press of the Vic Mars. Played it once. Left me feeling really down in the dumps. Maybe I was in the wrong mood? I thought I would find it uplifting. I didn't. I'm a bit loath to play it again now. Funny, because I skipped through a few tracks on the bandcamp page and thought it sounded good at that time.
    Seconded on Lee Dorsey.
    I listened to Vic Mars in the afternoon on a lovely sunny day. It goes well with some Vitamin D. A bit cliched I know but it does take me back to younger days playing in the outdoors. Though I don't remember any mellotron soundtracking my tree-climbing back then.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
    The Commitment was from a Battersea charity and is fantastic, apart from the crack in the vinyl which I hadn't noticed and which affects the first track on each side. But what an LP!
    Nice find, and it is a great LP.

I need to check out that Vic Mars album. I love 'Gentle Giant' but they are a hard listen but well worth the perseverance especially that album. I like a bit of Bobby Darin don't know if I'd like him doing Dr Doolittle though, prefer him in a cabaret club singing and acting smooth. Love 'The Tumbler' album and I love that Franti album, its cliched a bit and has probably dated but reminds me of good times.

Not heard that 'Graham Bond' seeing its a Charly release whats the sound quality like?

I listened to Vic Mars in the afternoon on a lovely sunny day. It goes well with some Vitamin D. A bit cliched I know but it does take me back to younger days playing in the outdoors. Though I don't remember any mellotron soundtracking my tree-climbing back then.

WF

These couple of Bobby Darin LP's aren't the usual lounge fare - he had a bit of a mid-life crisis, and went off to live in a trailer in Big Sur for a while. Then he popped back up as Bob Darin, giving it the full counter culture denim and cowboy hat bit, with funky folky songs about being beaten up by the police. Excellent.

Incredible String Band LP is shite. I've had about four of their LPs. They've all been crap. I thought this one might be different.
    agreed about them being crap, but the first album is good I think. That "Electric Eden" book was a bit annoyingly obsessive about them, but they are more interesting to read about than listen to I guess.

Didn't enjoy the Vic Mars on first listen, sounded totally underwhelming after the lovely preview track and the extra 6 week wait (first copy lost in post) on top of the 6 months or so since it was announced. But enjoyed it a lot on a second listen.

A trip to my local record emporium yesterday yielded these:

[IMG][/IMG]

The 'Pink Floyd' and 'Roland Kirk' were the result of store credit from my recent purge the rest is from his 5 for £20 racks all in EX or Mint condition. I'm not too sure about the 'Tim Moore' a little cheesy in places but a couple of tunes caught my ear. The 'Jake Thackery' is awesome, just brilliant. The rest well there wasn't really much to choose from hence a 'S2S' but one I'd been after for a while. Some Indian classical and a bit of Jazz. I also picked up 3 records from his cheapo bins outside one of which looks interesting in a Vulture kind of way.

I concur with you on the genius of Jake Thackray.

I know what a brilliant wordsmith like a latter day 'John Cooper Clarke' or 'Mike Harding' if he was a genius. Maybe its because I'm Northern and all my family hail from Leeds but I just got it straight away. As soon as I heard him sing 'Scabby Cat' on the opener 'La-De-Dah' he had me!

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Me three. I found a demo of his non-album "Remember Bethlehem" 45 in a box of cheap singles last year and was as thrilled as if I'd just found a psych freakbeat raer.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Ha, that's bloody great! Cheers Bennyboy, he even oozes suave when he's going all down and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    These couple of Bobby Darin LP's aren't the usual lounge fare - he had a bit of a mid-life crisis, and went off to live in a trailer in Big Sur for a while. Then he popped back up as Bob Darin, giving it the full counter culture denim and cowboy hat bit, with funky folky songs about being beaten up by the police. Excellent.

When that track started, Beck popped straight to the front of my mind!
    Nice drums.

I hear ya on the Beck, It's ripe for a reissue looks really rare, one copy on discogs and this what looks like a bootleg CD rehash:

https://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Darin-...elease/6658287

I wonder who owns the right or whether the tapes still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    When that track started, Beck popped straight to the front of my mind!
    Nice drums.
    Last edited by amidar; 17-02-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: looks like