Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: March 2016 Finds

Lino Borges on Panart - probably 1959

Course you would mate exactly the reason I keep digging is for mad finds such as that. Here are three punts from a Warrington Chazza (first time I've been to Warrington since the car accident and it was a madhouse driving wise) HMV have barely changed the layout 'HEAD' had with the vinyl at the back but a less than satisfactory jazz section) These were 2 quid a pop but I thought they looked interesting and were in super condition:

Is this the artist on the cover taking in a beach scene, turns out not as the american edition shows a slightly older dark haired woman on the cover. Anyway these are jazzy/bluesy ballads which isn't a bad listen in all honesty if not that well recorded:

Never heard of this Latin folky duo who were signed to EMI in the sixties and I find 2 of their records in a week this I think is earlier than the last and a Mono press. Looks like she's about to strangle him for nicking her maracas. :

He's holding some sitar like instrument and there looks to be some beatnik action in the bottom corner:

I'll update when I have a listen. I also bought 'Max Richters' new(ish) record lets hope he doesn't license it's use to an american TV series and ruin it for me like he did with the last one although to be fair it was years after its release but everytime I hear 'The Blue Notebooks' it makes me think of 'The Leftovers' which was a lets just say quite a maudlin if very well made series. Anyway its called 'From Sleep' I hope it inspires what it says on the tin even if it is abridged from the 8 hour version, talking of abridged that's something I plan to do with my last free release. Could have also bought the 'Cavern of Anti Matter' lp for a pound or so more than I got it from 'Bleep' for and that arrived today. Some cool listening in store.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Never heard of this Latin folky duo who were signed to EMI in the sixties and I find 2 of their records in a week this I think is earlier than the last and a Mono press. Looks like she's about to strangle him for nicking her maracas. :

Featuring Don Rendell, fact fans.

Well blow me if you'll excuse the pun, he is an' all and Ike Issacs on guitar (what isn't he on...), I didn't even read the back I just quite enjoyed the other one I bought in a cod latinesque type way earlier in the week, well there was something about it. Cheers Sonovox.

That cover is well filthy. Look at his face, he knows.
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Picked this up in a house clearance of sorts, anyone know it?

Did Elvis ever pose with a jazzmaster? He should have!
    This is a fake live album of covers, mostly rock and roll standards (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc)
    but also Beatles, CCR, etc. The guy can't really sing that well whether trying to impersonate Elvis or otherwise.
    His command of English isn't great. The lead guitar is somewhere on the wild/inept spectrum.
    The bass player sound likes he's never heard many of the songs before.
    Thing is, it's great!
    It's Belgium and probably late '70s or '80s, but that's all I know.
    Even 'Rock Over Belgium' lists his name the wrong way round.

Other highlights of this haul (I haven't played any of these yet):

Sycamore - One Night With Venus (Stoof, 1976)
    Great folk LP

Hit Sound of the Everly Brothers (1967), German orig

I assume most of these are known though I must confess I'd never heard of Elephant Candy before.
    The Manfred Mann is a club issue. Babe Ruth has the embossed sleeve and the sticker should come off without
    damaging the cover. Not bad for a euro each.

Tina Britt another new one to me.

Alma Brasiliera is also new to me, a Brazilian press.
    I love this Jay Boy Records cover.

Battle of the perms.

Ashwood is dutch soft rock (yacht rock, maybe).

La Seine is lite rock/pop, Italian issue.
    Never heard of Scrounger before. On Anchor (doesn't bode well!)

Midi were (apparently) a mid '80s pop/latin/salsa family group. I know nothing about them.
    One includes a handwritten bio.

This is in danger of becoming one of those photo only posts everyone hates, so I better stop.
    Altogether I took home 52 LPs.
    Last edited by Milesago; 06-03-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typos

Well done on the two 'Solution' LP's are they in good nick?

Oh and that 'Tony Scott' looks interesting is that a UK Verve?

Well done on the two 'Solution' LP's are they in good nick?

Oh and that 'Tony Scott' looks interesting is that a UK Verve?
    French Verve. Though it doesn't 'feel' like a French release, if you know what I mean.
    All the discs looked minimum EX- so fingers crossed for Solution.
    These all come from a collection of 15+ thousand LPs and 78s (no 45s) which was mostly junk (and I do mean junk). I think the guy was a collector who became a hoarder. All neatly stored in Expedits (Expedia?). Insane.

Have picked up a few things:

Boogie Boys: Rappin' ain't no thing 12" - old school rap gem
    Team 3-B: Closer to you / Machine rap / Murderation 12" - UK electro from 1984, very nice n dry
    Jimmy Spicer: This is it y'all / Beat the clock 12"
    Skinny Boys: Unity / Rip the cut
    3-D: From tha giddy up / Once more you hear the dope stuff
    D-Train: Music 12"
    Stanley Turrentine: Always something there LP - funny when they meanest hip hop breaks appear on the cheesiest smooth jazz records
    Creative Source: Pass the feelin' on LP - I like the track Funky Luvah

I have a couple of french Verve issues but they are late 70's to mid 80's and are a bit thin, but not too thin, but yeah I know what you mean. Sounds like you got your work cut out for the next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    French Verve. Though it doesn't 'feel' like a French release, if you know what I mean.
    All the discs looked minimum EX- so fingers crossed for Solution.
    These all come from a collection of 15+ thousand LPs and 78s (no 45s) which was mostly junk (and I do mean junk). I think the guy was a collector who became a hoarder. All neatly stored in Expedits (Expedia?). Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    I must confess I'd never heard of Elephant Candy before.
    The band's called The Fun & Games, very much the bubblegum end of psyche (shares DNA with The Yellow Balloon, if memory serves...) but of a superior quality to most. Indeed, the single off it, 'The Grooviest Girl In The World' may well be my favourite pure 'bubblegum' track ever....good scores Miles....

No sign of the 'spring awakening' reported by LDJB upthread round these parts...wasn't even worth getting the camera out to post my weekend's finds - once I'd filtered out the classical stuff, I was left with this...

...and it was still sealed. It appears to be worth more sealed than opened so, since it doesn't hold too much appeal, it might remain that way....luckily, I found something rather more interesting out of Montreal on the hinterwebs today, but you'll have to wait for that.....finds reported, over and out...
    Last edited by giantchicken; 07-03-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: memory didn't serve...again...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Baby, How'd We Ever Get This Way is a great bubblegum pop tune, shades of Three Is The Magic Number at times.

Here are a few bits iv picked up recently.

Salsa compilation on Island 1975
    Prince - Diamonds and Pearls 12' - A firm favourite of my Mrs and it has grown on me.
    D.S College Band - HOT - Fontana. I love these Dutch Fontana releases with the funky covers.
    Dave Snell - Hits on a harp - BBC Records. It was destined to come home with me.

Marcos Valle - Samba 68 - Verve UK.

Super chuffed to turn this up in the pound box. Marcos doing his best Alan Partridge for the cover.

G

Had to do the Monday chores and popped into 'Headway' on the off chance some new vinyl had been added to the crates and indeed it had, not listened yet:

Nice Sergio Comp

Almost passed by this Windmill oddity, an odd one indeed, no pop explosion here just some groovy sitar and tabla jamming classical style, lovely. I suppose its known around here but it would seem they spelled the bands name wrong and released it without their permission, not even them on the cover although I'd sort of guessed that.:

Punk and early Industrial comp with poster insert on Cherry Red 'Business Unusual", never find much Punk these days:

Don't know whats in store here, I guessed either southern rock or country:

Some early Motown:

Some more Soul:

Marble Arch Soul:

Aldrichs:

And a Stevie 'Fullfillingness' First Finale' which I have so I dont know why I bought it but it looks in better nick than mine. No need to post a pic of it, these are all stock images and this one is huge and its not like anyone doesn't know what it looks like.

Bonsoir mes amis. Sorry to have been away and a bit quieter than usual. This has nothing to do with wanting to keep a low profile to avoid United-related ridicule, although I probably should. But I’m tough enough and can take the slings and arrows of LVG’s outrageous cowardly, unambitious torpor. Dear Santa, Please just get rid of him……………….and Rooney………………..and Carrick……

I’ve been mega-busy with work and play, all sorts going on, so I’ve just not been online all that much. Still been keeping my eye in with buying the vinyl though, so I’ll try to do a round-up. I’ve bought A LOT of stuff, so I’ll split my posts up to avoid hogging the thread or boring anyone shitless (myself included).

I have to admit that one thing that stopped me posting as much as I would like was the passing of The Dame. That hit me surprisingly hard.

How hard did it hit you Ben? This hard:

I basically had a month of listening to Bowie and hardly anything else. But I’m back at it now. So, I’ll get the ball rolling on what I’ve been picking up.

I make no apologies for some of these being common, Mojo, readily available, hackneyed or whatever. I still get a buzz from finding these and I always find it encouraging and reassuring to see certain records (particularly VV/VG+ classics that I’m yet to turn up) cropping up again in other folks’ Finds posts – it gives you that bit more faith that they’re still out there.

The above selection came while wending my way back to the bus on a Friday after work. Top two were from Rob’s - never seen that Eric Delaney LP before, first side is ace, ably assisted by some of the fellas from Back Door, second side is a bit cheesy and ‘straight’ though. The Doc Severinsen LP was a pleasant surprise from a chazza near work, bizarre selection of titles (‘In The Court Of The Crimson King’ – really?), but carried off with some top big band sleaze-funk. Rab Noakes was from the same chazza, not my kind of thing and went out in my ‘down the market’ bag pretty quickly.

These lot were from a different visit to Rob’s. Some ace post-punk funk on the Soul Jazz comp – since Selectadisc went, I’ve lost track of Soul Jazz releases and this must have flown well under my radar, nice to pick it up for cheap anyway. Got ‘Bleach’ for my mate, finding that you can’t leave these behind while you ‘have a think about it’ nowadays, they get snapped up in no time (I’ve learned this to my cost). So, even though this wasn’t cheap, I nabbed it immediately. Themes Library LP of percussion tracks from Ray Cooper and Barry Morgan – as you’d expect, bit of a breaks-fest, not sure that it’s a keeper though, perhaps not my kind of thing. And a minty spare of ‘Candy’, which I think is one of the most solid soundtracks I’ve heard – eclectic, but consistent in quality, with the Dave Grusin tracks leading the way.

From the aforementioned trip down the market, I traded in a large bag of chuff (mainly a load of 90s soul / funk comps) and came back with a spare of ‘Watertown’ for anyone who still needs it and a lovely copy of what I think might actually be my favourite Pentangle LP. Result.

For those still hesitant about dipping their toes in the world of trading with forum members, this is the kind of quality you can avail yourself of. These came from the always legendary LDJB – Inner Circle privileges continue to apply! Can’t help thinking I emerged from this one slightly in the lead, but we’ll even that out over time.

Top two here came from a post-work visit to Rob’s. Motorhead went off to my mate’s burgeoning collection and this lovely US copy of ‘The Slider’ was a very welcome replacement for my well-loved UK copy. Now I can play ‘Buick Mackane’ free of crackle (and, for those of you in any doubt, The Slider > Electric Warrior). Bottom row consists of an eBay cheapie in the shape of Jack Hawkins – well known round these parts? Go Inclusive was from an Oxfam Music & Books store. It looked the part – funky looking fellas, on Vertigo, with Eddy Grant producing, cover of ‘Stone Cold Cat’ – how could it miss? By being reggae. Bah. Still, it’s different enough, lots of Moog and strings. Obviously, not one for me to clutch to my breast, so will be appearing in a Trades post near you soon.

I had a birthday day out in February. Made my way up to the Erewash (Notts / Derbys) hinterland. Not sure if this is still Sie’s territory or not, but I have no issue with trespassing anyway. So, made my first trip to the large records shop at Langley Mill – it’s taken me a couple of years to be arsed to go over there, in which time it will have been picked over on hundreds of occasions, but there are definitely loads of goodies, particularly as stock emerges from ‘the warehouse’ at frequent intervals. Plenty of interesting collectables, but he’s not daft and checks the prices online, still some very reasonable stuff though. Got this first batch of prime VV / VG+ stuff from rummaging in the crates on the floor. Disappointed with James Moody, could have sworn he did some funky stuff on Perception? This one’s in the Out pile anyway. Paul Kuhn has some banging big band grooves and I think most on here are familiar with the Chris Barber LP (‘Fegalemic Pegaloomer’ in particular). Ken Woodman & His Piccadilly Brass is another of those classics where most Googling brings you back to these hallowed halls! Suppose you could term it Mod / Soul / Jazz / Beat? Just the right side of fromage as well.

More from Langley Mill. Not convinced by Allison Durbin, bit too overwrought on first listen. Neu was my birthday treat, paid for with cash my Mum gave me for my birthday – instantly becoming my best present! Val Merrall is the quintessential VV / VG+ item for me, who else but us reprobates would pick this up? And that inquisitive nature (or lack of quality control) is repaid with mad grooves such as ‘Flash’. Found the Geoff Love LP on my way back to Nottingham, stopping off to hit the charity shops in Eastwood (where DH Lawrence is from folks). I’ve been on this site for God knows how long, picking up this kind of stuff for slightly longer and I don’t think I’ve ever seen this title before, or was even aware of its existence. Some nifty tracks on it despite the late release date.

These lot were from another Friday afternoon session in Rob’s Records. Spare of Galactic Light Orchestra that Rob had dug up from one of his many caches, still had an old price sticker on, which he was decent enough to honour. Yet another ‘Time For TV’, I seem to keep stumbling on these. The WMS type album is a bit of a shocker. Do they really have a stab at ‘A Day In The Life’ Ben? Yes, they really do. Hearing some end of the pier comic singing “I’d love to turn you on” is not quite the same as hearing John Lennon’s voice floating around the outer edges of your consciousness (I used to play that track when battered on ‘Strawberries’ – 1991 styley). And a cheap spare of John Dankworth (which I still think is quite an underrated album).

I'll leave it there for the time being. Should I post the rest now or tomorrow? I'll leave you with this thought - How good is BBC4's 'Trapped'?!! I think Vagn did it.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

What's the Ursula May all about Ben?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I might be with you on 'Solomon's Seal' its a solid album. I like the 'Candy' OST and 'Soul Jazz Records' thing, must have been one of their first releases.

Just the three this weekend. Spring cleaning hasn't started around this neck of the woods yet judging by the same old tired stock in the charity shops. But a local 2nd hand shop had a few new things in.

The Blue Nile - Walk Across The Rooftops. Lovely.

The Associates - The Affectionate Punch The Eighties were OK to begin with.

The Magic Accordians of Adriano - Sur Le Pave . Having visited Paris a few weeks ago, and my daughter also just returned from a few days there, this was a must buy. Jack Emblow on "orchestration", but surely that is him playing. I remember Jack from cosy Radio 2 programs my parents used to have on back in the 70s(?). Somewhat surprised this has had 3 sales in the last year on the 'ogs with a median price of £12.95. I have to say I have just enjoyed having it on in the background, and some of the numbers ring a faint bell from those radio programmes. I think this is a keeper, perfect for a wine and cheese evening.

Just when you think you've seen every S2S known to man another crops up you haven't! I still buy the white ones even by 'Manuel' or 'Pourcel'. I'm less bothered about the later S2S designs unless the music is good. I'd wallpaper a room with them if the wife would let me!

Marcos Valle for a quid. I'm boiling over with jealousy. Excellent work!
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I was at the flea market as usual last Saturday. It was beginning to look desperate when I spotted a box of interesting CDs. I don't normally buy CDs but these were a lot more interesting than the usual fare ... 100 yen each ... i bought 21 and left a few behind ...

I'll put 'em up in a couple of batches ...

The Vagina Dentata Organ sounds like the bloke went to a car park and recorded the engines of cars idling ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

The Magic Accordians of Adriano - Sur Le Pave . Having visited Paris a few weeks ago, and my daughter also just returned from a few days there, this was a must buy. Jack Emblow on "orchestration", but surely that is him playing. I remember Jack from cosy Radio 2 programs my parents used to have on back in the 70s(?). Somewhat surprised this has had 3 sales in the last year on the 'ogs with a median price of £12.95. I have to say I have just enjoyed having it on in the background, and some of the numbers ring a faint bell from those radio programmes. I think this is a keeper, perfect for a wine and cheese evening.
    Never seen that one! Great cover!

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    What's the Ursula May all about Ben?
    It came from my out pile...which you saw...
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    I’ve been on this site for God knows how long, picking up this kind of stuff for slightly longer and I don’t think I’ve ever seen this title before, or was even aware of its existence. Some nifty tracks on it despite the late release date.
    Good to see you back Ben and love the new ink.

That Geoff LP is a raer beast I reckon. I've only every found it once and still have the copy filed. I seem to remember funky cop show moves?

Get the rest posted up please - always like to see yer finds.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    Never seen that one! Great cover!
    I've seen one last week unless it was the same one. Amidar you should post a wants list of white Studio2 needs, I'm seeing them everywhere right now (not the desirable ones obviously). Saw an Acker Bilk one THIS VERY MORN.

Here's some highlights mostly free from the market, firstly for 99 pence some 'diarrhea from Chick Corea':

A Label of Love in Mint condition:

and another:

I never leave a Harp record, don't have high hopes though:

More Super Stereo Balkan stylee:

The Eros album I've been looking for for ages:

A Mono Dusty:

Some More Soul:

What I think is a dutch pressing of this nice 'Manitas' gatefold I've never seen before and he had 2 copies.

Trojan Comp:

Cant find a pic but this from 1962 with Ron Goodwin:

https://www.discogs.com/John-Langsta...elease/7186938

Israel Folk Songs:

Romanian Folk:

Made my day this, I'm easily pleased, mine is the mono version:

Aztec Guitars, hmmmm:

This also made me happy:

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong ‎– Porgy & Bess - Double LP:

Only a Little pic but my find of the day:

Mixture of conditions I'll do a separate [post for anything that catches my ear.

I'm always torn when it comes to buying an Acker record but I did leave the one of him in a 'Bowler hat by a London Bus'? and regretted it, not the one with 'Acker Raga' obviously. Thanks for the offer though mate, there are a few which I do want music wise that are not particularly valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I've seen one last week unless it was the same one. Amidar you should post a wants list of white Studio2 needs, I'm seeing them everywhere right now (not the desirable ones obviously). Saw an Acker Bilk one THIS VERY MORN.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    It came from my out pile...which you saw...
    How could I forget a cover like that???
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Romanian Folk:

LIES!

Is that Gershwin Goes Latin any good? was considering it a couple of months back (gone now I think). Obviously at 99p I'd just have grabbed it, but this was probably about 4 quid.