Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: March 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    This also made me happy:

Never seen that one either - great cover. The tracklist looks familiar though, does Caterina Valente feature on vocals perchance?

LP:

EP:

the versions of "frenesi" and "misirlou" are killer

Hey Sir Slim, never come across those either. There is no mention of her on the cover a quick glance shows its 1962 but the sleeve notes talk of 'singalongs' as if this is an instrumental album designed for humming along to. I'll give it a spin later, they might even have just have taken the vocals off the already released songs.
    Last edited by amidar; 08-03-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: off not of

I'll give it a spin later, Stanley hasn't failed me in the 'Latin' (emphasising the quotes) stakes yet so have high hopes dont think its the best condition but should be playable.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    Is that Gershwin Goes Latin any good? was considering it a couple of months back (gone now I think). Obviously at 99p I'd just have grabbed it, but this was probably about 4 quid.

Hey Sir Slim, never come across those either. There is no mention of her on the cover a quick glance shows its 1962 but the sleeve notes talk of 'singalongs' as if this is an instrumental album designed for humming along to. I'll give it a spin later, they might even have just have taken the vocals of the already released songs.
    I'm pretty sure those Edmundo/Valente items I have are from 1962 but Discogs is showing 1960 for the first issue which seems to be this one: https://www.discogs.com/Valente-Ros-...elease/1494475

bric a brac shop on the outskirts of town , just though I'd ask if he had any records as I walked past this morning, happy I did

todd may be a keeper however I only tend to like his slower ballads like his stuff on hermit of mink hollow, only a few tracks on here that fit that category, the other two purely bought for turnover/ next trade list

Different tracklist on that one seems 'Edmundo' is taking the lead vocal on this one? I don't know if he sang or not but then there is a Percy Faith/Mike Sammes like chorus doing a call/response type thing. Tad disappointing so far, listening now. Get rid of the vocals and it would be great.

EDIT: Yep definitely no 'Valente' on this.

PS: I love that 'Todd' album thanks to this forum! I'd never have given him eartime otherwise, its his crazy LSD influenced album.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    I'm pretty sure those Edmundo/Valente items I have are from 1962 but Discogs is showing 1960 for the first issue which seems to be this one: https://www.discogs.com/Valente-Ros-...elease/1494475

After the disappointment of 'Edmundo' its back to familiar territory with 'Stanley' nothing over complicated but nice piano with good percussive backing and not a cheesy vocal in sight. Like a 'Carmen Carmarello' record but done well and with more thought.

He doesn't attempt anything too complicated by Gershwin in terms of arrangements but its not too bad. Not sure I would pay 4 pounds for a copy I may have done if there was nothing else to buy and it was mint. Its pretty crackle free on side 1 but side 2 is slightly worse condition wise however it may clean up a little, better than I expected at first glance.

I'll give it a spin later, Stanley hasn't failed me in the 'Latin' (emphasising the quotes) stakes yet so have high hopes dont think its the best condition but should be playable.

rare quick midweek browse today, and there were a load of mint, unplayed looking easy albums, a lot of Studio 2. Unfortunately mostly Manuel, couple of Pepe Jaramillos, etc, and at 3.49 or 3.99 (not sure why the difference?) most not worth picking up.

However did get Tony Mottola "Lush, Latin and Lovely" on Studio 2 (one of the Enoch Light LPs released here, like Spaced Out, etc), and whilst I don't think it's worth more than 3.49, it is a nice listen.

I'd pay that for for Tony and Enoch however my Jaramillio rule is 'Must be Mint and a Quid or less' I'm not sure any 'Manuel' album is worth more than 0.25p in Mint condition! even the 'Jaramillio' collaboration lol.

They must have lapped Geoff's alter-ego up at the time but he seems almost forgotten now, same with Pepe I guess. Actually I quite like 'Magic Fountains' there I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    rare quick midweek browse today, and there were a load of mint, unplayed looking easy albums, a lot of Studio 2. Unfortunately mostly Manuel, couple of Pepe Jaramillos, etc, and at 3.49 or 3.99 (not sure why the difference?) most not worth picking up.

However did get Tony Mottola "Lush, Latin and Lovely" on Studio 2 (one of the Enoch Light LPs released here, like Spaced Out, etc), and whilst I don't think it's worth more than 3.49, it is a nice listen.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Get the rest posted up please - always like to see yer finds.
    You asked for it youth. Don't say you weren't warned!!

Unfortunately, one of Nottingham’s record shops (The Music Exchange – which is effectively an up-scaled charity venture in support of Framework) is closing down soon. In anticipation of this, they’ve had a ‘25% off everything’ sale (down to 35% off as of last Wednesday), which has seen some of us vultures circling for bargains. Admittedly, there’s a sense of taking advantage of a shite situation, but if I don’t someone else will, so I may as well get involved – and the money still trickles through to the charity. Anyway, I hear that last day is 19th March, so if anyone’s in Nottingham, you might as well have a quick look and see if you can find owt. I picked up some stuff for me (and my mate of course) and a few titles that I thought might be useful for trading round these here parts. As mentioned earlier, I’ve been so bloody busy that some of these remain sealed. Of the above pic, I’ve only cracked open ‘The Wicker Man’, which, I have to say, sounds incredible – fair play to whoever did the mastering or whatever you call it. Not sure what to do with the others as regards ‘keep or trade’, hoping to get a set of trades up soon, so a decision will need to be made!

More from The Music Exchange. I’d actually got this Stooges reissue on my eBay ‘watched’ items, so finding it at 25% discount was a no-brainer purchase and OF COURSE I’ve had a quick play with this – they definitely chose the right takes for the final edit! The Jane’s Addiction live set has already been re-homed with my mate, who’s a bit of a JA obsessive. Archie Whitewater reissue will remain sealed and be available in my next round of trades. Throbbing Gristle was really only picked up for ‘Hot On The Heels Of Love’, mainly as the rest of it scares me.

Top two came from a quick visit to Anarchy after a hospital appointment (I deserved a bit of luck). Both were incredibly reasonably priced, fair play to Jill on that one. Bottom two were from The Music Exchange and Dexy’s remains sealed as it’s not one that I’d want for myself, but needed to be picked up and saved from languishing in the racks at the mercy of going home with someone who might not appreciate it as much as a Plusser (with sale price + discount, it was very much a bargain regardless). As for Wendy and Bonnie, I’m unlikely to ever own an original, so this will have to do.

My mate sent me some pennies through Amazon for my birthday, so I got myself another Stooges reissue and the Bobby Charles LITA issue. I remember seeing the Bobby Charles in Rob’s for £6 years ago and thought “I ain’t paying £6, I’ll get it cheaper soon enough” – ho hum, good work Benny. The Band are all over this, particularly Rick Danko. You need no further recommendation. The TASE was from Rough Trade’s sale section (35% off). Jancis Harvey was proper money from Oxfam. I must point out that I haven’t listened to any of these yet – just too busy (which makes me sound like a pompous yuppie twat, in my case, it’s more a symptom of being bloody disorganised and unable to schedule my days better!). But I felt it was a moral obligation to rescue Jancis from Oxfam as I figure either someone on here will want to trade for it, or I can (boo! hiss!) put it on eBay if not. I don’t even mind losing out a little as Oxfam have made their money on it.

Had an afternoon off work, so nicked off into Sie’s territory again, this time braving the wilderness of Ilkeston. There’s a kind of junk shop there with loads of vinyl, most of it either classical or Dance 12”s, but I got a few bits out of there. I don’t even remember this Jon Lucien LP being released, obviously, can’t fault the voice, but that 90s production is not for me at all – Out pile methinks, duet with Joyce or not. Haven’t see The Sonics’ LP in ages, so will hang on to this one. Similarly, this Peddlers album doesn’t crop up too often, so will be staying chez moi. And Chico Arnez (with the banging version of ‘Whole Lotta Love’) is a spare.

The first three of these came from a visit to Rob’s a couple of weeks back. Delaney & Bonnie is, admittedly, a bit Mojo, but I do like that Southern soul sound and this sits nicely alongside my early Allman Brothers / Boz Scaggs stuff. Lesser-spotted Julie Felix, with a couple of top femme-vox folk funk tunes. I still get a thrill at finding ‘The Orange Album’ (just as I do ‘Bang On A Drum’), seems that it doesn’t matter how many times I dig up certain titles, there’s always that little frisson of excitement – long may it continue. The Vytas Brenner LP was a cheapie off eBay – another one of those occasions where I was bidding on one thing, added this to make up the numbers and missed out on the primary target anyway! But this ended up really cheap (couple of quid I think). I’m guessing it’s well-known round these parts, veering wildly between latin funk / rock / salsa and even kosmischer breaks. Not what I was expecting, but I’m pleasantly surprised.

I had a quick visit to Grantham last weekend, nowt on the market, but I got these in the chazzas (did far better in finding books and DVDs, which place a similar strain on my space / storage issues!). Will keep the Harry Stoneham, but the others are in the Out pile. The German folk comp (with an extraordinarily heavyweight sleeve) couldn’t hold my interest, despite having a song called ‘Cocaine’. Bah.

After Grantham, I decided to hop over to Melton Mowbray (primarily to hit the chazzas, but I’d also been asked to hit Ye Olde Pork Pie Shoppe). In one chazza, I came up more than in God knows how many others combined over several months. First thing I saw was Geoff Love’s breaktastic Superheroes set. Then I just kept finding interesting and randomly eclectic stuff all at a quid a pop. The KPM is No.7 – a set of jazz stuff by Dollimore and Graham. Not my cuppa, but it’s minty and I’m sure someone on here would like it. It was one of those where you wonder why just the one KPM album is there. Do you stress out that there was a whole load of them and this is all that’s left? Or do you count your blessings on just chancing on this one? Must admit, I got very excited on seeing this, expecting there to be a run of them in the rack. Never mind.

These were the others that I got from the same chazza. See what I mean about random? I’ve no idea why I took the Bobby Rydell, think the mint condition swayed me – it was only ever to add to my bag for trading down the market anyway. The Charles Lloyd one would bother my wife if I had one – the dog remained unimpressed anyway. JJ Burnel’s LP must have perplexed a whole bunch of Stranglers fans back in ’79 eh? Wonder how many copies got returned when folk didn’t exactly get a rehash of ‘No More Heroes’. Fair play to the lad for going off at a tangent, even if this isn’t my kind of thing either.

Continuing to use up my annual leave balance before 1st April, I decided to spend a day in my family’s old stomping ground of Mansfield / Ashfield. The charity shops were kind to me and rewarded me for putting in the leg work when snow was pelting down (I’m sure Mansfield has its own micro-climate!). The Winter Sunshine LP came from RSPCA in Mansfield – I’m guessing most folk round here know it / have it already. A couple more of appropriately winter-themed LPs came from a chazza in Mansfield Woodhouse (pronounced ‘Woodus’), where my Mum’s from. Can’t go wrong with Yuletide sets from Ramsey and Johnny Gregory! The John O’Hara came from Extra Care in Mansfield – 49p well spent! Great version of ‘Why Did You Do It?’ and a slightly ‘meh’ version of ‘Superstition’, but even for a one-tracker, I’m chuffed with it.

These lot came from one charity shop in ‘Woodus’, there were (I think) five boxes on the floor and the first thing I saw of note was the No To Co album, which was an encouraging start. But, apart from a couple of Polish Soldier’s Songs LPs, this was the only East European bounty to be found. I think I’ve made the point before that there was a Polish influx into North Notts during WW2 and a fair number stayed to work the Nottinghamshire coalfields, bringing family members over later, which is my explanation for East European albums turning up in Mansfield and Sutton-in-Ashfield. Anyway, I think No To Co is a one-tracker – ‘Saturday On Sunday’, but it’s a strong enough track to justify hanging on to the album. The Argo LP was pure ‘making up the numbers’ fodder. Lorelei ‘Sing Hoagy Carmichael…..’ is totally a VV / VG+ record and is fantastic. All the usual session legends are present and correct and Side 1 in particular is just an onslaught of sleazy listening (Les Hurdle is the star of the show). I think anyone on this forum would instinctively pick this up if they saw it, but I’m recommending it anyway. The Stan Kenton LP is not bad actually, some decent big band cop-show funkiness, occasionally going a little bit too bonkers, but worth persevering with.

In the same charity shop, it became clear that someone had offloaded a collection of keyboard LPs, Hammond, Wurlitzers and all that. In between the mountains of Phil Kelsall, Big Klaus and Wayne Kings, I picked out the above selection of slightly more VV/VG+ stuff. The first three are heading out (with the Hawkshaw up for trades in the first instance, largely on the strength of the crackers version of ‘Spinning Wheel’) and Monsieur J-P Sabar will be staying with me, as the Gainsbourg covers (particularly ‘L’Anamour’) are ace.

I moved on to Sutton-in-Ashfield and hit the charities there. In the Chernobyl charity shop, I got a few of your common or garden canon fodder items (the 'Classic Rock' thing has all the right folks on and I needed to hear what they did with ‘Whole Lotta Love’ – it’s nearly there, but not quite). However, I nearly wet myself at the sight of ‘Scott 2’ as I’ve had 1, 3 and 4 for ages and had just about given up on finding ‘2’ under my own steam and had only recently resigned myself to having to resort to eBay or a reissue, then this bad boy turns up for 50p, looking stone mint and with the poster insert intact. Get in!

Charities basically exhausted, I made a stop at Fat Rat Records (I posted pics from there ages ago), still has an enormous amount of stock, still hasn’t sorted much of it. It’s quite overwhelming and easy to get record blindness / ennui. You just have to dig in as best you can. I pulled a few cheapies before it was time to get going for my bus. Plus I paid slightly higher price (too high in hindsight) for the Long Ryders EP. No keepers really, but the Ricky Gervais action on top right should be worth sticking on eBay to ensure that I break even on my Fat Rat visit!

Had time for one more chazza on the way back to the bus and got the top two. Both in the Out pile – my senses tingled misguidedly. Bottom row were found in a chazza when I got back to Nottingham and was on my way to Rob’s. I knew I’d only be adding them to my ‘down the market’ trades bag when I bought them, but I almost see them as freebies as the charity makes money.

And, when I got to Rob’s I got lucky like Daft Punk and found a Prince 12” I didn’t already have and, similarl,y a Japan 12” that was also a gap in the racks. Then I got a minty copy of Karitsat, only a matter of weeks after resorting to buying one off eBay (How often does this happen? Seriously?! FFS!). So, a really nice copy will soon be up for trade. The Reality Folk LP apparently goes for money, but my first listen left me wondering why – initial review is that it’s very much at the ‘happy clappy’ end of Xian folk. But I’ll give it another go to prevent my being prematurely dismissive.

Sorry that took an age, I’ll try not to go AWOL again. I blame my workplace for curtailing my VG+ activities by expecting me to, you know, do some work.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    bric a brac shop on the outskirts of town , just though I'd ask if he had any records as I walked past this morning, happy I did

todd may be a keeper however I only tend to like his slower ballads like his stuff on hermit of mink hollow, only a few tracks on here that fit that category, the other two purely bought for turnover/ next trade list
    Nice find on the PJ Harvey, did he want proper money for it?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Nice find on the PJ Harvey, did he want proper money for it?
    "I dont know, a fiver for the lot is that ok"

and an oooof.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post

the versions of "frenesi" and "misirlou" are killer
    Great 7" that!
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

& nice finds all. Finding it increasingly busy to keep with this thread up let alone post a very fruitful twenty minutes of my own on Saturday.

BTW like this Ben, but looks painful...

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Last record I bought:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

I also got one of these beauties but it hasn't arrived yet...

Anyone tip me off the radar versions of this (including instrumental), then please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post

Anyone tip me off the radar versions of this (including instrumental), then please let me know!
    Well when you've finished listening to your groovy versions, and would like to relax, and wind down, you could listen to my favourite. ideally you'll be sitting at an empty late night bar with a large whisky.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Top version by Mae Barnes is on here - sadly not on youtube:

Great comedy version by Allan Sherman too:

Wow Ben, I know some are bought new but some cracking chazza finds. I've never heard it or even seen it but cant help but be jealous of 'Alan Hawkshaw plays the Phillicorda' and the 'Dick Hyman', nice one mate.

Oh I love that TRASE too almost bought a copy t'other week.

Anyway its turning into a great month for bonkers Hammond and Exotica!

As 'The Stranglers' were my first band I became obsessive about I agree JJ's album left me proper perplexed aged 15. I kinda like it now though. Not so sure about 'Crabs' which was probably the highlight back then. He did another solo album in 83-84 which is infinitely worse and 'The Purple Helmets' album well lets not even go there! Anyway he's awesome and I did idolise him for a time but he would probably knock me out with one blow with his martial arts skills for my second album diss...so I'll shut up now.
    Last edited by amidar; 09-03-2016 at 11:08 PM.

yeah, nice finds, am jealous of all the 50p charity action, I was looking through 12 quid Supertramp records yesterday

I know the Anita Day, Shere Khan, but I find it much harder to 'get with' the slower tempo. Don't know Mae Barnes, ta.

This is also nice

My local charity came up trumps over the past few days.

It turns out that Tim Buckley is not my cup of tea. A few nice tracks but his voice really grates with me.

Odyssey though! Yup, the cover's water damaged (the back is missing about one third of the print surface) and it's VG. But this is the Odyssey LP. In a South London charity shop. For a couple of quid.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
    My local charity came up trumps over the past few days.

It turns out that Tim Buckley is not my cup of tea. A few nice tracks but his voice really grates with me.

Odyssey though! Yup, the cover's water damaged (the back is missing about one third of the print surface) and it's VG. But this is the Odyssey LP. In a South London charity shop. For a couple of quid.

WF
    Well taht deserves an OOOOFF.... Not a through the Roof Offff... but an Off never the less
    Rock on Penderyn

Don't know Mae Barnes, ta.
    This would have featured in my "Vision: On" chart if someone hadn't already put it on youtube. She's fantastic in "odds against tomorrow" - check her performance from 7:22 onwards - I wish this had come out on record at some point...

all men are evil - mae barnes

big lady, very sweet voice. what a clip, thanks!

big lady, very sweet voice. what a clip, thanks!
    My pleasure - that bit floored me when I first saw the movie - the whole film is great too, bleak but very atmospheric.

Don't know if its off the radar probably not but I put the version by 'Chubby Checker and Dee Dee Sharp' from their joint album on my swap mix CD.

Well, there's this version off one of my favourite albums - Bing Crosby & Rosemary Clooney - "Fancy Meeting You Here". Good bantz amongst it all.

Bing is pretty much off the radar at this point in history, right?

Is that your first Timbo WF?

I have (had?) a modern vocals oriented book by Barney Hoskins in which IIRC he said that "I Never Asked to be Your Mountain" is where TB's voice starts to come into its own. Possibly worth a punt on a later album if found for cheap.

I can't speak to the voice. As to the tunes, my intro to TB was by way of "Happy Sad" (next album). The strong jazz element made it a winner. "Goodbye and Hello" was too "60's SSW" for me, even when I was more receptive to that.

phantasmagoria in two - 'nuff said
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"