Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: March 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    [/URL]
    I haven't listened to this next one yet. I'm not getting great vibes from it but will report back if it's a winner
    I really like this track from it. Nothing earth-shattering but I often play it. It's got a nice easy going, low-key, wistfulness to it. I always enjoy it.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post

Little Barrie - I.5.C.A / Shoulders up eyes down. Great 2 sider picked up at Le Beat Bespoke. Getting a proper release in a couple of months apparently. Classic old school heavy,guitar psych inspired 45. Catch this band live if you can. No sounds up yet.
    (
    Took my son to see Little Barrie a few year ago (their 1st single, Shrug Off Love, is still their best for me) and they were supported by The Bishops. They were also a fantastic live group. I don't think their recorded work really gives a feel of their live prescence.

An old favourite and it was cheaper than the re-issue 7 ... go figure

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

And this is a cracker of a 7 ... both sides killer, as they say ...

Nice. Must be fun to dig in Japan.

The vinyl of this arrived yesterday. 'Jon Brooks' and 'Broadcast' guitar player 'Tim Felton' serving up some lovely synth/acoustic folk action. Ghostbox release which I think has just been released on vinyl for the first time and bought on the strength of the people involved. I don't know much about it but I can tell you its a belter of an album:

I also got that Apple Tree LP a couple of weeks ago. I need to give it a few more listens as it's not really grabbed me yet.

The postie brought Sagram to me yesterday. Lashing and lashings of sitar obviously. The second track on side B (Morning Glory) sounds incredibly similar to an Ananda Shankar track which I haven't got the time to find. Does anyone know if this is simply a traditional Indian, er, riddim? Youtube of it here.

The other three were a result of a rummage through the three(!) new record shops that have arrived in Brixton in the last year. Nothing from Container Records, which is more dance focused anyway. The Cedric Im Brooks from Lionvibes and the two 7s from Pure Vinyl. The Flash Forward is (obviously) horn-dominated and is top drawer. I find some reggae of this era to be rather dull but Cedric's sax makes this. It worked a treat as I pottered in the garden with this blasting through the open window.

The Spider Harrison was my favourite number from the old Funky 16 Corners comp. The A side to is Rhythm Machine's 'The Kick' and it's a quality funk tune railing against the evils of drugs. Still damn funky though

I'd never even heard of Howard Tate. Guy in the shop played the b side to me. I liked it. Bought it. Have seen that there's an LP so I'll keep an eye out for that as this track is just a lovely soul tune.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    It can be. Other times, the same old stuff keeps appearing. And frighteningly small amounts of foreign rekkids at affordable prices ...

When you dig in Japan TONIGHT
    When you dig in Japan BE TIGHT
    When you dig in Japan, where the Eastern's sea's so BLUE

Regarding 'Sagram':

It's not strictly traditional to my ears it sounds very much to me they are jamming around some ideas, melodies and forms. From what I can gather none of the come from an Indian upbringing they just went over there and got caught up in the music. Apparently the sitar player still plays (his name is Clem I believe) which says to me he has taken it quite seriously and gone down the classical route.

The playing although not up to the standards of Indian Masters by a long chalk is still very good. Its certainly not a 'Pop Explosion' sounds like they were working through some ideas in the studio and for whatever reason 'Windmill' have got hold of the tapes and released them.

The wife keeps making me show people the cover when they come around. I have to explain despite the obvious exploitative nature of it, its actually pretty good music.

I'm listening to the Hintermass at the moment and there is tabla action on side A. Its a grower I'll say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    It can be. Other times, the same old stuff keeps appearing. And frighteningly small amounts of foreign rekkids at affordable prices ...
    Dont all good records end up in Japan eventually? Thats what I tell them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Regarding 'Sagram':

It's not strictly traditional to my ears it sounds very much to me they are jamming around some ideas, melodies and forms. From what I can gather none of the come from an Indian upbringing they just went over there and got caught up in the music. Apparently the sitar player still plays (his name is Clem I believe) which says to me he has taken it quite seriously and gone down the classical route.

The playing although not up to the standards of Indian Masters by a long chalk is still very good. Its certainly not a 'Pop Explosion' sounds like they were working through some ideas in the studio and for whatever reason 'Windmill' have got hold of the tapes and released them.
    There's a tiny bit more info about them if you search under their correct name "Sargam" (Windmill got the band name wrong!), although it's an Indian musical term so there are a lot of matches. Sitar player was Clem Alford. Think I read that it was released without band's permission, true budget label style.

Some members were also in a psyche band called 'Magic Carpet' that some members here might know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Carpet_(band)

http://www.magiccarpetrecords.com/

Seems he did a solo album for EMI which I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on:

None for sale on discogs but highest price for a copy was 100 quid.

75 squid for a reissue of the first 'Magic Carpet' album on discogs.

The people on the cover of Pop Explosion are not in the band, btw.

I figured that one out as soon as the needle hit the record!

Its a great example of an exploito cover though!

Now this thread as made me want his solo album and there doesn't look much chance of that happening anytime soon. Its on EMI part of the 'Landsdowne' series apparently. Seeing 'Special Purchase £1.25' on that YouTube video doesn't help!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The people on the cover of Pop Explosion are not in the band, btw.

My monthly trawl through the herring shoals of frippery and nonsense.

Till Death Us Do Part - Golden Hour:

On the Polyfilla label! Alan Freeman - Family Hits:

A truly awful record from a justly obscure South African comedy/ folk/ rock/ cabaret acts . Having played it once I have resigned myself to never playing it ever again. Blend - Blend An Ear:

Robin Askwith rock legend. Confessions Of A Pop Performer:

Mean. Moody. Magnificent. The Grumbleweeds - Goodbye (Adieu Mein Kleiner Gardeoffizier):

A 1978 album from a Portsmouth comedian and professional eccentric Arnold Gutbucket Band - Church Street:

Plucked from a charity shop and I'm off on the VG+ Shot In The Dark bandwagon Henry Mancini - 40 Greatest:

From the Richard Lester film. I had a chat with Ray Brooks once and he said he has always regretted not murdering Michael Crawford on the set of the film. John Barry - The Knack ... and How To Get It:

From High Street Books And Records, New Mills. Robin Hall and Jimmy MacGregor - Glasgow Street Songs:

The forgotten Tiswas single and now back in the rabbit suit according to his Twitter account, Matthew Butler And The Four Bucketeers - Bright Eyes:

Just when I swear I'm never buying another Max Bygraves record ever, I get dragged into a charity shop and yet another 50p is taken from me. This is the last one. I promise. Max Bygraves - Singalongaparty Song:

Just when I swear I'm never buying another Pepe Jaramillo record etc etc etc Pepe Jaramillo - Mexican Fiesta:

Remember - if Pepe Jaramillo fails to deliver this LP to your door within 30 minutes then you listen FOR FREE! Pepe Jaramillo - Mexican Pizza:

Stan Arnold - Ladies Man:

Pat Mooney - Live In Liverpool:

Metal Mickey - Metal Mickey Magic:

And just to finish on a high note. What could possibly go wrong with this charming ditty... St Augustine's School Choir And Band - The Stuart Hall Song (New Shirt And Tie):

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-Fogg View Post

I'd never even heard of Howard Tate. Guy in the shop played the b side to me. I liked it. Bought it. Have seen that there's an LP so I'll keep an eye out for that as this track is just a lovely soul tune.
    Willy, you need to get a copy of this. Don't know why Howard Tate's not more rated. That Flash Forward is a great LP too esp 'Give Rasta Glory'.

If H.R. Pufnstuf was a robot, he'd be Metal Mickey...

Metal Mickey - Metal Mickey Magic:

[/QUOTE]

I'm very taken with the cacti on the front of Pepe's "Mexican Pizza" album.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    I'm very taken with the cacti on the front of Pepe's "Mexican Pizza" album.
    I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's an echinocereus triglochidiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If H.R. Pufnstuf was a robot, he'd be Metal Mickey...
    Does he write and produce all his own records?

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Does he write and produce all his own records?
    No. He relies heavily on a British kid with a magic flute.

Confidence is an easy proxy for competence. So they say.

Have you been coy with us as to your knowledge of cacti?

Dont all good records end up in Japan eventually? Thats what I tell them anyway.
    That might be true, but if it is, they only turn up at prices that only idiots pay. That's why I don't go to record shops much any more. Maybe only if I'm using my 'Redeeming Feature' detector.

This may well be the saddest post ever but I have never come across a 'Mexican Pizza' on Parlaphone in the wild. One Day you will be Mine!

Is Mexican Pizza the one to have? I saw about three copies whilst on my recent hammond splurge. I can send you the co-ordinates of the chazza in question if you want but it's probably a bit of a trek for you

Lol, No they are all shite and every single one sounds the same! I just have a thing for collecting Mint Jaramillo's its as if I'm doing my bit to keep him alive in the human consciousnesses as he seems to have been erased from existance. At a push I'd probably say 'South of the Border' is my favourite, quite a common one. His collaborations with 'Manuel' are his worst imho.

I notice he's got a Wiki page now, I'm sure he didn't used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Is Mexican Pizza the one to have? I saw about three copies whilst on my recent hammond splurge. I can send you the co-ordinates of the chazza in question if you want but it's probably a bit of a trek for you

Ages ago I know but I got hold of '...Vegas Sands' quite soon after, nice minty copy albeit you do see it everywhere and you're quite right its great now that it's made it to the top of the slowly reducing pile and into my ears. 50p and people pay a tenner for a cruddy CD of Westlife doing a pale impersonation of such things. Well they did for a time, pop singers do swing thing that invaded the radio for a time.

There's something about a masterful old crooner showing off his craft live that makes their studio records seem banal and pointless. Going on the expedit next to the Peddlers in my head fuck of a filing system. Cheers for the tip off old bean!

[QUOTE=Shere Khan;579057]Jack Jones always seems to come in for a lot of stick. 'Where Love Has Gone' is one of my desert island records. There aren't any breaks on it, or moody bass, just Jack being effortlessly superb in the vocal department. The 'Lush Life' on there is my favourite version of that song. He had it all; voice, looks, easy charm... I'll never walk past a Jack Jones LP. Get hold of a copy of his 'In Person Live at The Sands' LP for a great version of 'Spinning Wheel' and this...

[QUOTE=amidar;588074] now that it's made it to the top of the slowly reducing pile and into my ears.
    /QUOTE]

That must be some pile. Given that it's added to regularly do you think the bottom will ever be reached?

There was quite a big pile then a few boxes knocking around. Give me a few days and I'm pretty much done, taking into account some of its just been needle dropped and dumped, ripped and dumped or gone into the garage, some kept for the shelves and a pile of freebies that have been ripped I'll sort out before Crimbo. I've been pretty ruthless that being said its took a month, chipping away everyday all good sample material for future projects. It's the same every year and I've not even done any boots this year.

It's a bit of a ghost town for records around here at the moment, I dare not go to the market because I always leave with a pile of free shit records but the chazzas seem bare. Think I will take my dump pile to the local hospice warehouse because I know he will put them straight out for sale.

[QUOTE=Shere Khan;588561]
    Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    now that it's made it to the top of the slowly reducing pile and into my ears.
    /QUOTE]

That must be some pile. Given that it's added to regularly do you think the bottom will ever be reached?