Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: April 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Very very cool!
    School band of a school for the blind. They were all training to be piano tuners, hence A440...

They had 15 seconds of fame and appeared on the saturday evening show on TV. Back in the times when there was one channel on TV, and one entertainment show per week, dontcha know.
    Here's a great clip from that TV show with another band, the very young Friends, and the more than slightly patronizing host.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Fresh out of the garage by the looks (and sounds) of it. Top.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

A swap with a friend - 2 Cuban and 1 lp from Nicaragua

I went back and grabbed 'Hapshash and the Coloured Coat - Western Flyer' swayed by its crazy cover and Tony McPhee presence (someone had tried to hide it), cleaned it up a bit, quite crackly but bizarre album indeed despite Mr Batt's presence. Seems they are more well known for their Graphic Design work than music I'm guessing someone here more knowledgeable can fill me in a bit?

Ah, I know their first album but its completely different to this as that is really dark and trippy this is kind of psychedelic gone wrong.

Anyway away from crazy Mike Batt featured Psychedelia with squeezy bicycle horns to this which I bought to bump up a job lot. It was described as fair but its more VG+ to me. I was hoping someone would outbid me but they didn't so now I'm the proud owner of this from 1973 and despite not understanding a word of it I'd say its quite a solid listen. Folky with strings, very well orchestrated. The title translates as 'How Strong is the Lone Cyclist':

I have dutch relations so will play it to them next time they are over, hopefully its clean, y'know language wise and subject matter.

Interesting gatefold:

Yeah, one of the most well known Dutch album.

A classic.

There’s a phrase in ’Tante Julia’ where he sings she musn’t press her breasts against his shoulders while he’s playing piano.

I thought this was a bit strange, maybe arousing, when I was a young kid. My parents played this album a lot

Ah so quite well known then, should score me some brownie points with the brother in law. That is a strange lyric but understandable I guess. What I find odd is the guy with the board tied to his face having a ball kicked at him whilst two doors down a guy is smoking what looks like a large bong!

Quote Originally Posted by Mescal View Post
    Yeah, one of the most well known Dutch album.

A classic.

There’s a phrase in ’Tante Julia’ where he sings she musn’t press her breasts against his shoulders while he’s playing piano.

I thought this was a bit strange, maybe arousing, when I was a young kid. My parents played this album a lot

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Ah so quite well known then, should score me some brownie points with the brother in law. That is a strange lyric but understandable I guess. What I find odd is the guy with the board tied to his face having a ball kicked at him whilst two doors down a guy is smoking what looks like a large bong!
    That's from a lyric from the same song where the title from the album came from, Jimmy.

Something like, please keep an open mind when you're a business man, and don't just be eager for only money

He also sings about that football player, like, don't be a football player, you might be kicked to death.

I suppose he's singing about not conforming, like so many hippies

All plans for a quiet month finds wise thrown out of the window by a freak rainstorm as I just happened to be passing one of Bedford's multitude of charity shops. It was a vulture's treat inside, literally teeming with Jamarillos. What's 101 to the power of 101? That's how many Strings were in there.

With the rain outside and change in my pocket I dived in and came out with the usual armful of hits and misses with no thought to how I might sneak them in when I reached home.

It's a Hammond heavy selection. I know most of the groundwork was done on these a long time ago but there was enough unfamiliar stuff to make it a bit of an adventure anyway.

I'll digress here. I'd like to propose some kind of scale. A Richter scale, a Beaufort scale sort of thing, but for organ music. Most Hammond falls somewhere on a continuum that reaches it's zenith with Jimmy Smith and Booker T, and it's nadir (at least for me) with the Nigel Ogden style The Organist Entertains end-of-the-pier stuff. I haven't quite worked out the details yet and the scale needs to be able to cope with one-trackers.

What I look for in a Hammond LP is bluesy playing, mod funkiness, breaks and moogy swiggles. I'll run through the findings now and fill you in. Some of these have just been skipped through so there might be well hidden funk monsters, please let me know...

A Man and a Woman well known here - I think there's another version with a similar sleeve isn't there? I'm sure I've moved on a different version in the past.
    The Alan Tew has his hallmark big sound and great lush orchestration. It's easy all the way but for a pretty big crime thing - The Troubleshooters
    Hammond Party has a good mod number called Beat Special Number One but is pretty ordinary otherwise.
    Yamaha Superstar is one I recognised from charts and it's good. I've never seen it in the wild so I was happy enough to pick up a Vulture classic.
    The Sexy Hammond is a non-stop type thing and nothing to shout about
    Brian Sharp has some nice bluesy playing that lifts it above average.

More sexy hammond that's pretty uninspiring.
    I thought I'd made a mental note on Danny Hodgson from the old VV lists but I think I must be mistaken unless I'm missing something. I haven't spun the bossa one yet.
    Roger Coulam and Big Jim H and His Men Of Rhythm (best band name ever) both return to the fold after falling victim to previous lounge purges. Both great albums and far from one trackers, not sure what I was thinking.
    Hammond Hits back is, at this stage, the only unknown (to me) that I'd qualify as a find. Nice soulful playing with a drummer. Includes versions of Working in a Coalmine and George Martin's Theme One.
    Moving away from the realms of the Hammond (but not entirely)...

The Well Tempered Synthesiser is a switched on Bach follow up by Walter Carlos - yet to hear
    Bwana-a is Arthur Lyman exotica which I was pleased to find. I see Tabou and Martin Denny's Quiet Village sometimes but this full on exotica doesn't turn up often on these shores.
    The Swedish kids LP is pretty unfathomable to me for many reasons. Of course I was hoping for Bang On A Drum style folk funk but it's certainly not that. It's this.
    Nils Tibor is James Last-ish
    Midnight Music is my third Ken Moule record in as many months. It's very much on a smooth lounge tip but elevated by skilled arrangements and instrumentation. I will revisit.
    I skipped through Captain Beaky in search of the elusive Bang On A Drum style folk funk monster but it wasn't there either.

The top two of these feel like proper finds. Los Hicsos isn't even on discogs. It's not an Afro-cuban fuzz rarity despite what my ebay listing might say - it's a pretty fantastic latin lp though. A couple of tracks of proper Columbian style cumbia which I love. It's from Costa Rica.
    Wilf Todd is British vocal jazz from 1966 with a great group and some top line singing. Again, very pleased.
    I need to listen properly to Los Fronterizos. It's Argentinian folk which is brand new to me. I can't see it being my next huge obsession at this stage though.
    Last edited by Skip; 01-05-2016 at 09:02 PM.

I get it, thanks for the insight Mescal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mescal View Post
    That's from a lyric from the same song where the title from the album came from, Jimmy.

Something like, please keep an open mind when you're a business man, and don't just be eager for only money

He also sings about that football player, like, don't be a football player, you might be kicked to death.

I suppose he's singing about not conforming, like so many hippies

Your'e not wrong Skip old vulture paradise. I can vouch there is nothing sexy about those 'Sexy Hammond' albums. I'm also yet to come across a 'Yamaha Superstar' in the wild, never seen that 'Hammond Hits Back' either. Is it just me or is it getting harder to turn up AD-Rhythm albums?

Oh and from memory I think the Bossa one is alright but I could well be wrong. So many hammond albums not enough headspace!

My hammond technique is only buy it if there are other musicians involved unless its free and the word 'Sexy' or the use of a naked woman on the cover usually means its going to be shit. The exception to the rule is I buy anything on AD-Rhythm.

My hammond technique is only buy it if there are other musicians involved unless its free and the word 'Sexy' or the use of a naked woman on the cover usually means its going to be shit. The exception to the rule is I buy anything on AD-Rhythm.
    I used to have very similar 'how to buy Hammond' rules, then my rule became "Don't buy Hammond Records". Today's bonanza combined with 50p pricing to lead me to making mistakes I've made on many occasions in the past. The Hammond finds of the day, not counting Big Jim H and Roger Coulam were both on AD-Rhythm. I was overcome by vinyl vulture mania today. I don't know about anyone else here but I'm finding vv stuff all over the place at the moment. None of the really rare stuff but plenty of the lounge classics. Hopefully soon Hymns a Swinging, Two Generations and Hanged Man will become as ubiquitous as Allah Wakbarr by Ofo The Black Company

I gave in and bought the 90's reissue of 'Hanged Man' off an ebay seller in the end never had a sniff in 10+ years. Similar story with 'Yamaha Superstar'.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    The Sexy Hammond is a non-stop type thing and nothing to shout about
    I bought that Sexy Hammond on the strength of its cover and yes it is one of the least sexy sounding records I own. Great cover though.

^^ Skip - one of those Sexy Hammond sleeves is the same stock photo as The Four Instants "Discotheque" (on Saga? Eros?) which is definitely worth picking up.

Nice to see a good VV style haul, don't see much of it anymore. The Well Tempered Synthesizer is possibly my favourite Wendy Carlos, or maybe I've just played it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Q

Top left is a freebie from Sonovox – thanks for that. Can understand why someone would let it go, I think it could be so twee that it sets some folks’ teeth on edge, but I really like it.
    I really like it too. I spent years n years waiting to turn up a copy in the wilds, and then two came along in the same month. Typical...

I went back and grabbed 'Hapshash and the Coloured Coat - Western Flyer' swayed by its crazy cover and Tony McPhee presence (someone had tried to hide it), cleaned it up a bit, quite crackly but bizarre album indeed despite Mr Batt's presence. Seems they are more well known for their Graphic Design work than music I'm guessing someone here more knowledgeable can fill me in a bit?

Ah, I know their first album but its completely different to this as that is really dark and trippy this is kind of psychedelic gone wrong.
    Here's what Tapestry of Delights has to say:

"Two art students/designers, Michael English and Nigel Weymouth, whose striking graphics were seen on many posters during the sixties, were the creative talent behind this band along with DJ and manager Guy Stevens. Their first album is something of an electric mayhem and freeform freakout which has not stood the test of time well. With the record completed, Weymouth and English continued to work as designers, while Stevens was by now a producer at Island Records with Art (later to become Spooky Tooth) among his credits. Nigel Weymouth retained the name Hapshash And The Coloured Coat for a second, less radical album on which he was joined by line-up B and received session assistance from Tony McPhee (of Groundhogs) and his early producer, Mike Batt. Mickey Finn, later of Tyrannosaurus Rex, was also a member at some point, but the group disintegrated late in 1969. Ken Kesey played bass on their 1969 45."

Line-up B referred to above is the principals plus Freddie Ballerini (violin), Michael Mayhew (gtr), Andy Renton (drms), Eddie Tripp (bs).
    I let both LPs go. If they'd been rediscovered a little bit later, I wonder if they'd have enjoyed the same rep.

Oh and from memory I think the Bossa one is alright but I could well be wrong. So many hammond albums not enough headspace!
    I think so too, but can't be 100% sure. I've kept it anyway, after a Hammond clearout a while back, but it might have survived the cull by hiding out in the latin section?

Cheers Miles, I quite like their first I have a download of it somewhere, I didn't make the connection as it was hard to read their name on the cover it was only when I read 'Heavy Metal Kids' that I made the connection. Its quite a dark obviously LSD influenced album whereas 'Western Flyer' is more humorous and song driven like a lesser 'Bonzo Dog Band'. The best parts are where it gets bluesy courtesy of Mr McPhee and fortunately most of that is on side 2 and plays back OK.

It's no lost gem and I certainly wouldn't pay big money for a Mint copy even if I was that way inclined which I'm usually not as I'm a cheapskate. As a big 'Groundhogs' fan its interesting from that point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    Here's what Tapestry of Delights has to say:

"Two art students/designers, Michael English and Nigel Weymouth, whose striking graphics were seen on many posters during the sixties, were the creative talent behind this band along with DJ and manager Guy Stevens. Their first album is something of an electric mayhem and freeform freakout which has not stood the test of time well. With the record completed, Weymouth and English continued to work as designers, while Stevens was by now a producer at Island Records with Art (later to become Spooky Tooth) among his credits. Nigel Weymouth retained the name Hapshash And The Coloured Coat for a second, less radical album on which he was joined by line-up B and received session assistance from Tony McPhee (of Groundhogs) and his early producer, Mike Batt. Mickey Finn, later of Tyrannosaurus Rex, was also a member at some point, but the group disintegrated late in 1969. Ken Kesey played bass on their 1969 45."

Line-up B referred to above is the principals plus Freddie Ballerini (violin), Michael Mayhew (gtr), Andy Renton (drms), Eddie Tripp (bs).
    I let both LPs go. If they'd been rediscovered a little bit later, I wonder if they'd have enjoyed the same rep.

This nice slice of 1975 library from 'Peer' arrived today. Its all very upbeat, some nice synth, Fender Rhodes and a 'Cheesecake' cover to tie in nicely with the peeved thread, which I didn't notice when I bought it to be honest. :

I gave in and bought the 90's reissue of 'Hanged Man' off an ebay seller in the end never had a sniff in 10+ years. Similar story with 'Yamaha Superstar'.
    "If you build it they will come"

Although what seems to be happening with me is that I'm finding most of this stuff when I no longer want it Maybe that's the key.

2 car boots at the weekend.
    A few handfulls of 80s records and easy listening records were mostly all that was on offer. Managed to find a few bits though.

LP,s
    Susan Pilsbury. Only knew this from seeing it mentioned on here. Not my type of thing but a clean copy for a pound is coming home with me.

Sharp Promotion Japan Pic Disc lp for the ghetto blaster which plays records upright. Credited to "U.S. Disco Explosion"
    "That ones a bit more expensive but you need a special machine to play it"
    Thanks to Mr Krum,s blogspot for first tipping me this. This appeals to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly I have the ghetto blaster its promoting. Secondly it has a cover of "Rapture" misquoting Fab Five Freddy line into "Fab farm Freddy told me everything he,s tried" Great looking artwork and pic disc. 80,s covers from the time. Not had chance to go through the rest yet. Was 3.50 but knocked it down to 2.50. Only seen this once before for £40 on that Burford record shop wall, offered him 20 but he was sticking firm on 40. Guess a few peeps on here have it already. For a more indepth review see Mr Krum,s blogspot http://mrkrum.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12...rm-freddy.html

45,s
    Another minty Barry White "Im gonna love you" uk in Pye sleeve 50p
    Three Dog Night "Joy to the world" copped for the flip "I can hear you calling" spare 50p
    Cheech and Chong "Bloat on" comedy version of the Floateres "Float on" £1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLmzZmmK3R4
    Patience and Prudence "Get along without you now" (us) Viola Wills covered this much later. 50p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gQ6xwISRs
    Silver Bullet "Bring forth the guillotine" 50p
    Willie West "You told me" (us) r,n,b , funky, tittyshaker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40Ma7oqvAw £3
    More all time favourite jingles from Jumbo. Had this already, there is a little bit of sample fodder on there. £1
    Alternative t.v. " the force is blind" £1
    Alternative t.v. "life" £1. These 2 have those covers that look like they have been soaked in chip fat.

Thought I'd see it everywhere when I bought it, not happened yet, even bought a 'Harry Roche - Spindrift' to bulk up an order which they couldn't locate 'in their warehouse'. I'm VV cursed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    "If you build it they will come"

Although what seems to be happening with me is that I'm finding most of this stuff when I no longer want it Maybe that's the key.

Good flip on that Three Dog Night 45 Taze. You know the flips to Eli's Coming and An Old Fashioned Love Song? I like them too. Definitely had their moments.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Good flip on that Three Dog Night 45 Taze. You know the flips to Eli's Coming and An Old Fashioned Love Song? I like them too. Definitely had their moments.
    Ditto on the Susan Pillsbury, Taze mate. Its a great unday morning Lp and fo a quid.... bonus
    Rock on Penderyn

More charity goodness today. The Darin means that I've found both his good LPs in SW11 charity shops in the space of six months. After finding Commitment I bought a copy of Born Walden Robert Cassotto online but this is a UK press in better nick.

This album is phenomenal.

Play School one probably not a keeper.

WF

I actually bought two new releases: Gilles Peterson's Sun Ra comp and Charles Mingus' Shadows soundtrack. I think it was a mistake.

Three Dog Night have been instant-flip-pasts for me. I'll keep my eyes peeled now.
    VG+ is really giving, I think it was only a month or so after I joined that I found a Hot Chocolate-Gogo Girl at a car boot after seeing it mentioned here. Would have flipped past before, now the RAK label provokes a spinal reflex.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Cheers! don.t know them, will look out for them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Ditto on the Susan Pillsbury, Taze mate. Its a great unday morning Lp and fo a quid.... bonus
    Cheers mate.I thought that would have been your type of thing. Was hoping for one funky track on it, but nah. Seems like it can go for a bit of loot though. Now in Trades pile.