Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: April 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
    More charity goodness today. The Darin means that I've found both his good LPs in SW11 charity shops in the space of six months. After finding Commitment I bought a copy of Born Walden Robert Cassotto online but this is a UK press in better nick.

This album is phenomenal.

Play School one probably not a keeper.

WF
    Good work on the Darin LP's. I still need Commitment. If anyone is holding, REACH OUT TO A BROTHER.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Three Dog Night have been instant-flip-pasts for me. I'll keep my eyes peeled now.
    VG+ is really giving, I think it was only a month or so after I joined that I found a Hot Chocolate-Gogo Girl at a car boot after seeing it mentioned here. Would have flipped past before, now the RAK label provokes a spinal reflex.
    Keep an eye out for Angelo & 18 and Julie Felix - 'snakeskin' and 'heaven is here' on RAK too!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Bought three albums from a guy on ebay to save on postage. I think its one of those sellers which is really a skip hire or tip in disguise and his grading is basically a punt anyway the one I really wanted was this:

Ravi Shankar - Transmigration Macabre

Odd soundtrack for a film Ravi did licensed from Peer on Spark records. Its not Indian Classical but its a solid album, a real oddity and at first glance an EX/EX so chuffed to bits with that.

Then to bulk up this odd SAGA release I never see in the wilds.

Fives Company -The Ballad of Fred the Pixie

An odd record almost like a cockney Knees up in places and they are not the most brilliant musicians either that or they just did the whole thing in a day so not a lost classic but I kind of admire the concept and execution of it all. File under Psyche-Exploito I suppose and it sounds non too bad for a Saga record. I like the intro as the parents moan leading on to Fred saying he doesn't want to be born if things are so bad. Its a keeper and well worth picking up if you see it in the cheap bins.

and some Phase 4 Secret Agent jazz action from Roland Shaw another I never come across, 'Cheesecake alert':

Last edited by amidar; 09-04-2016 at 01:24 AM. Reason: spelling innit!

Also bought a reissue of this:

Dorothy Ashby - Hip Harp

Not her best, its quite early but solid all the same for jazz fans.

I also managed to locate a copy of:

The Feed-Back

Reissue of course but probably the last one in the UK I would wager.

Lots of other blind punts have come my way too alongside some great trades via Skip and Fuz (thanks guys!) which I will post as I listen to them with my thoughts.

I'm also trying to locate that 'Bob Darin' album its not easy to find at all didn't realise there was another equally mid life crisis Bobby Darin record, I'll buy anything by him at any rate he's a great singer and cool as the proverbial F##k. I did find 'Jack Jones in Vegas Sands' which someone I forget said was one of their desert island records so thanks whoever it was thank you, may have been Sonovox, ah it was my fellow cat lover Shere Khan, cheers mate .
    Last edited by amidar; 08-04-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: wrong picture.

A good idea for me might be to buy as many crap records as I can then hopefully never see them again, seeing lots of NOW comps at the mo if I enjoyed selling records I might punt them on but its a pain ebaying records.

Its back to music making for a while I've set myself up a little minimalist set up in the house and have been having fun making stomp boxes and putting piezo mics in things so we'll see how that goes for now. I'm digging all things Ghostbox at the moment its as if they are making the music I've wanted to make in my own head for years and I never knew they existed.

I read a quote that read something along the lines of 'They make music for people who can still remember the theme to 'Music Box' they were half joking but that about sums me and probably a lot of others here up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    "If you build it they will come"

Although what seems to be happening with me is that I'm finding most of this stuff when I no longer want it Maybe that's the key.
    Last edited by amidar; 08-04-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Snap!

I just bought that Ravi LP. Dibs on "Madness" and "Anxiety" for an end of year swap CD.

Different sleeve on mine.

Ha, your'e welcome mate! I've known this album for a few years now, its a right oddball album in his discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Snap!

I just bought that Ravi LP. Dibs on "Madness" and "Anxiety" for an end of year swap CD.

Snap!

I have a 45 from this LP. It's rather nice.

It was in a shop I don't go to often. I saw it there a few weeks back and listened on Youtube. I decided to leave it as it was slightly more than I would normally spend. And finally caved on Weds. Sleeve slightly tatty, but vinyl looks sound.

Odd to think that there was a single. I can imagine the bemused expressions if it had made it on to ToTP.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Keep an eye out for 'Dyna-Mite' and 'Brother Louie' on RAK too!
    fixed
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Funny its licensed from 'Peer' which is a library label. I confess I've forgotten the story behind it just that it was a soundtrack to a film probably a commission of sorts I suppose.

It was in a shop I don't go to often. I saw it there a few weeks back and listened on Youtube. I decided to leave it as it was slightly more than I would normally spend. And finally caved on Weds. Sleeve slightly tatty, but vinyl looks sound.

Odd to think that there was a single. I can imagine the bemused expressions if it had made it on to ToTP.

I'm going to end the day with this (well its officially Saturday) but I started it earlier then broke for a few hours to make some noise and upload some tuneage then spinned side two. I bought this again to bump up a package of albums solely on some allmusic samples or could have been a hunch, anyway:

David DeFries - The Secret City

File under 'World Fusion' here we have British jazz trumpet player and member of Chris McGregors Brotherhood of Breath at one point doing a solo job supported by the 'Arts Council of Great Britain' no less in 1985. Theres Bongos, Cowbells, Kalimba, Thumb Piano, Bird Noises, chanting and a whole host of other things going on. As Alan Partridge might say its 'Bloody Brilliant!' and then some. I think the vinyl gods were giving me good vibes when I was punting on this site earlier in the week.

On to the music its kind of free but not in a full on skronk style its a lot more restrained and similar to what Don Cherry was doing around this time I suppose. World instruments and Double bass cross swords with DeFries impeccable trumpet style. I think its a real gem I'm chuffed to my boots that I've found it as with these kind of new-age styled albums you can easily fall into a nest of panpipes and terrible digital strings.

I going to have to come up with a name for this kind of thing I don't think 'World Fusion' or 'Ethnic Jazz' really describes what this is, to a point I suppose it does, its very similar to the 'Eternal Wind' albums I like without the crazy time signatures. Its a coming together of cultures or a genuine musical respect for the music and rhythms of the parts of the world they are taking their influences. It 'aint Paul Simon getting a room full of people to chant 'Homeless' over and over again that's for sure! I guess what I'm trying to say is its not westernised music, throw some thumb piano and shakers and a bit of weird percussion on it and we'll be alright sort of deal. Its deeper and more thought out and you really feel that.

Its going to be getting a lot of spins and the vinyl is pretty much Mint. Just had to remove a sticker from the cover and the record inners.

Anyone into that jazz/ethnic vibe that was big around the seventies to mid 80's this is class and solid throughout and its dirt cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I going to have to come up with a name for this kind of thing I don't think 'World Fusion' or 'Ethnic Jazz' really describes what this is, to a point I suppose it does,
    I've always been fond of Jon Hassell's "Fourth World" as a descriptor for it. Hits the right notes.

A car boot sale blessed me with several freakbeat singles - hardly what you'd call minty, but the dust cleaned up okay at least. Most are Australian issues of UK singles; the most notable exception was The Last Straws - One Fine Day, which is the standout for how mesmerizing badly tuned guitars can be.

The other notable is The Blue Chips - Tell Her, which is the genderbent version of the Exciters song. Proper psychmoddancer material (I think? the term's not really mine.)

Cool car boot 45s Spacefin. Care to share the other "freakbeat" 45s? The times I've been to Australia, I've found it difficult to turn up anything like that.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Not a bad call Spacefin.

some finds from the newly started boots & a few from a 1 boxes at a record fair

1979 EP produced and featuring the drums of Malcolm Allured from Showaddywaddy

5 track EP from 1978 in a lavish g/f sleeve with inner to promote an advert for the Halifax Building Society

A sweet Jimmy Smith 7" in the 25p racks at Age Concern

In the same box as the Jimmy Smith single was this acetate disc featuring a wedding in 1959 - listen to the highlights here

The Young One's Neil does a pretty decent version of the Traffic classic initially released as a dirty trainer picture disc!

3 x fine 1 LP finds from a recent record fair

I have previous Negativland album but this one is even better and to top it off it comes with an unused car sticker & booklet.

She first wrote books on dog training in the 50's and released this debut LP in 1967 her successful TV series came in the 80's

nice Tyneside Folk artists compilation released on Rubber in 1971

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

Love that Negativland LP, HG. What's the other one you have?
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

first purchases for me this month, mostly standard fodder job lot, apart from a clutch of ecms off of gumtree from yesterday

and my purchases from this morning's local record fair, still yet to listen to the couple I don't know, just looked interesting, will report back

I spy a Moody

aye, with an old 1.45 price sticker on it , those were the days

Youv'e got a nice mixture of classics and interesting punts there Reza also with the Ralph Towner, Robin Trower and Oregon stuff what I am now officially terming 'Fourth Stream'.

Oh and the 'Johnny Shaklett Trio' LP looks interesting. Just listening to some YouTube of the 'Confluence' its off its rocker.

A moody in the wild. There should be a VV / VG+ medal for such an occasion or an equivalent to ringing the Lutine bell! Well done sir. I've still never seen one in the wild and had to resort to the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    Love that Negativland LP, HG. What's the other one you have?

What the hecking hell does that Jonny Shacklett trio sound like? Best cover I've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    first purchases for me this month, mostly standard fodder job lot, apart from a clutch of ecms off of gumtree from yesterday

and my purchases from this morning's local record fair, still yet to listen to the couple I don't know, just looked interesting, will report back

A few l.p.,s today local charity shop 20p a pop

Directions in jazz unit-ellingtonia uk Philips
    Murray hill caper Cecil Payne uk spotlite
    Disciples-Jesus Christ super star contour vv classic
    Chico Lopez-brazilia 70 trouble spot vv classic
    Lawrence brown/johnny hodges-inspired abandon
    Jazz couriers/ronnie Scott tubby Hayes mfp issue

Nice one pulling that Tubby from a Chazza probably his most common but still not easy to turn up. The Johnny Hodges looks interesting too is it on Impulse?

Wait a sec 20p a pop, blimey father o riley!

Johnny is on UK hmv yer think it's gotta be the cheapest charity for vinyl in Kent so can take more of a punt on things 😀

Ah, I love those old HMV licensed jazz records they are quite desirable, have a Johnny Hodges one myself licensed from Verve, I forget the name, probably why it perked my interest. I like his post Ellington period.

Quote Originally Posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
    Johnny is on UK hmv yer think it's gotta be the cheapest charity for vinyl in Kent so can take more of a punt on things ��

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Cool car boot 45s Spacefin. Care to share the other "freakbeat" 45s? The times I've been to Australia, I've found it difficult to turn up anything like that.
    They come in ones or twos reliably enough for me; but I live here and can go through the antique stores, and they're usually beaten to hell. Nice copies are few and far between.

The others:

(imgur link to not clutter up the thread): http://imgur.com/a/yf5XN

The Tikis - If I've Been Dreaming / Pay Attention to Me - Feels like a bridge between surf and garage where it's still got that twangy vibe. B-side's the winner as the singer gets a bit unhinged.

Episode Six - Here, There and Everywhere / Mighty Morris Ten - A Beatles cover which hems close enough to the original that it immediately feels pointless. A B-side with a fabulously British vibe. Apparently some Roger Glover involvement?

The Uglys - End Of The Season / Can't Recall Her Name - Poppier vibes and a Kinks cover. Boring and plodding to me - not sure of the appeal.

Dewayne and the Beldettas - Tennessee Stud / I'll Walk Along - Closer to an Elvis vibe. Published by Hanna-Barbara? I didn't know they had a record division outside of kids' stuff.

The Sands of Time looked beaty but are more an orchestra pop kind of thing and so don't stand up well to the surface noise unfortunately. Sheb Swindle is the most inexplicable - two popjazz instrumentals with serious lashings of saxophone and organ

Cheers Spacefin. The Tikis is a hoot, undeniable early Beatles influence there too I reckon. Episode Six sounds kind of like the Harrow version of The Beach Boys. You're right about Glover of course, and his old chum Gillan on vocals. I've got some pretty good 45s on Hanna Barbera, don't have this one on HB yet though

Interesting even the label can't decide if it's Barbara or Barbera!
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all