Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: May Finds 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

This is fantastic. Once every 1-2 years I take an afternoon to lay down on the sofa and listen through it from start to finish. Always a pleasant experience. I like to think of it as intellectual stand-up comedy, with avantgarde electronic pop songs in between. Love it, and it's so much better than her studio albums, even though Big Science is really cool too.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Sounds of salvation is a nice find. Give me a shout if you don't dig it ��
    Thats an oooooooooooofffffffffff from me
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    LP finds in fields

The debut HeeBeeGeeBees parody album featuring Angus Deyton & Phillip Pope
    I have never come across their 1984 follow up 20 Big No.2's on my digging trips.
    I found the overall tone of the album just a little bit too cynical. Maybe ~I should revisit it. Meaningless Songs made it on to one of my compilation CDs and is my favourite track, it also made it onto a single. The 20 Big No 2's album was released in Australia only so is quite hard to find over here in the UK.

I've been looking for that Mrs Shufflewick for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Thats an oooooooooooofffffffffff from me
    yep from me too , well done mate

Dealers tell me that comedy LPs don't move here. HBGB's probably out there for pence. Happy to pounce if I see one for pence HG. And yours gratis. Unless you would prefer otherwise.

Had a day out at Great Bardfield garage sale yesterday. The whole village ( home to Bawden, Ravillious, and other East Anglian artists back in the day) turns itself into a monster clearout of toot of all shapes and sizes. Slim vinyl pickings though. This was more than made up for by the plethora of homemade cakes. One of the church halls had the most magnificent displays of cake I have ever seen. Managed to resist the urge to do a magnificent belly flop onto the tressle tables! Picked up another copy of The Crying Game for 20p and took a punt on this for 50p

Quite enjoying it. Never heard anything by Baden Powell before. Bet he's got his guitar badge though.
    Stuff like this
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Great Punt Paul i only own his most famous one with the psychedelic cover (the Spanish escapes me) bet that's good though.

I'm no expert on this stuff Amidar, but it's a good Sunday morning listen. Recorded in Germany 1967. What a time & place to be! I spotted that one with the fetching cover on Discogs when I was checking out whether I had unearthed some buried treasure (I hadn't, these are cheap as chips). What's it like?

Classical spanish guitar with a bit of Bossa thrown in and dare I say a bit psyche, a real solid listen, bit of a classic I would say and cheap to pick up. I've not heard much of his other stuff this was released in 1966 so you may well have the follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    I'm no expert on this stuff Amidar, but it's a good Sunday morning listen. Recorded in Germany 1967. What a time & place to be! I spotted that one with the fetching cover on Discogs when I was checking out whether I had unearthed some buried treasure (I hadn't, these are cheap as chips). What's it like?

Oh ok! I was thinking of this one from 72

So that one you posted up, does that fall under the Tropicalia umbrella? I really don't know, which is why I ask the question.

I'm no expert either I don't think he was specifically linked with that movement but I think he was definitely one of the forefathers of it. I've not heard the above 70's one on Barclay (although I would definitely buy it if I saw it). There was one I think as early as 64 by him that was re-released by Soul Jazz.

In fact there is a nice little write up which explains the context of it: https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/...a-vontade-1964
    Last edited by amidar; 08-05-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: link

Ive been fairly huge into Baden for a little while.
    A favourite track is Canto De Ossanha.
    Top cut of it is on this album.

I believe the album is made up of various joints from the Tristeza On Guitar sessions.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Dealers tell me that comedy LPs don't move here. HBGB's probably out there for pence. Happy to pounce if I see one for pence HG. And yours gratis. Unless you would prefer otherwise.
    thanks but I am happy to wait for eternity, bless ya

Picked up Tristeza on Guitar a couple of months back, my first BP, other than a few tracks on comps. Nice listen, and also pleasing to find out that he was named after the scout leader

Really? I suppose it makes sense, have always thought that's weird but never bothered to find out oh and cheers for the heads up George.

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    Picked up Tristeza on Guitar a couple of months back, my first BP, other than a few tracks on comps. Nice listen, and also pleasing to find out that he was named after the scout leader

Baden Powell wasn't a tropicalista, but his afro sambas with Vinicius were key precursors to the MPB movement, mixing bossa and afro elements to create a more socially aware, adventurous music. Tropicalia was a key sub-movement within MPB and Caetano Veloso pays tribute by quoting Consolacao on his homesick anthem It''s a Long Way.
    A Vontade and Os Afro Sambas (recorded in a damp basement with Quarteto Em Cy) are essential. I like the Saba lps a lot, but find them a little studied and polished compared to the three Quartet lps on Barclay.

There's a really good guide to his discography here

He was also a heroic smoker. It killed him in the end, but this clip shows how to play virtuoso guitar while smoking for Brazil .

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

This one is great:

Check this one for starters:

and

Partly due to storage space considerations, I have been focusing on 7" lately. Here are a few of this weekend's finds:

Bi-yearly neighborhood street market did not yield a lot of records. I was chatting with another digger while sellers were unpacking, when we spotted someone in a stall nearby put up two boxes of 45s. We managed to find a handful each, not super cheap like 50p, but very reasonable. I've never seen this early Jan Johansson EP from 1960, but not super interesting. Really glad to find the Animals 45 with Swedish PS, not easy to find, but 4£ was a bargain for me as condition was excellent. My fellow digger found a super nice french Animals EP. That was basically it for records, despite 100+ sellers.

Slipped into the dodgy indoors market where you keep your wallet close to your body. Usually no good for records but I found some last weekend. This time I found a small cache of 45s under a table. I picked out eight, a few standards by Sex Pistols/Sweet/Quo/Slade, and these four which looked like interesting yugo 70's, and paid 2£ to the Balkan guy who tried to turn me onto some Serbian singer.
    YU Grupa is fairly standard 70s hard rock, think Purple/Sabbath, but not bad.
    Teska Industrija a bit proggier, and Gresnici a bit folkier and the least interesting.

Car boot was also rather disappointing, but I picked up this one for 40p. In horrible condition, but still plays through with some noise. Still really happy, as Gene is one of my favorites.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Got this in the mail stunning condition which can only mean its the 2000 reissue, going by discogs anyway, no way its an OG it looks brand new :

Then on a parcel postage trip stopped off in BHF which usually yields nothing and came away with these 3:

and proof that there are still classics to be found in charity shops, must say I've waited a long time to find this in a charity shop, well worth the wait. :

That an og Movements? Nice! There was a reissue in the 00's, just so you know.

edit... which I'm sure you do.

No Definite OG in EX nick can still see half a price label on it from 'the disc shop' which must have closed down in the early eighties. Speaking of grails on the other thread I know its not worth hundreds of pounds but I've been after it for years, chuffed to find it in the wilds too.

The Axelrod is a definite reissue though unless its been in an airtight vault for forty years, hope its not a fake, still only paid a tenner for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    That an og Movements? Nice! There was a reissue in the 00's, just so you know.

edit... which I'm sure you do.

I'd be very happy to find that also.

Ebay jobbie must have slipped through the net, just sniped it at the end and no one bid against me, Sunday night too, usually a mare to get a bargain at the weekend when your'e watching Hendrix and Zeppelin albums going for hundreds, madness.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    I'd be very happy to find that also.

Bangor chazza Shocker..... something worth picking up

Minty NSD 13.... with covers of Hollies Hey Willy, Tap Turns on the Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Nn65h-N-4

Fuzzy cover of get it on a ickle drum break on Put your hand on your hand

Plus a well loved DJ copy of The Together Brothers OST... Barry White goes gritty... great listen

Thats my lot
    Rock on Penderyn

Will have to check the old man's stash of James Last for that one BBOB. Mad fuzz

I love 'The Together Brothers' soundtrack, best thing Mr White has ever done in my opinion. Digging that James Last the funk is drowning out the cheering which is a good thing don't think I've ever seen it although I probably have. I do pick them up from time to time looking for the one with 'Silver Machine' on it.

That one (with Silver Machine) is definitely still down my mums place (I can remember scowling at it when I was a teenage Hawkwind fan). I would bring them back and sort through them......there's just so many, and I know I would end up keeping them all.

Somewhat less guitar on that BP track than I might have expected.

Plenty of pep to it, mind. Does the pep carry over to the rest of the LP?

Wow! Good find there BBoB!

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    That one (with Silver Machine) is definitely still down my mums place (I can remember scowling at it when I was a teenage Hawkwind fan). I would bring them back and sort through them......there's just so many, and I know I would end up keeping them all.
    Which one is the one with Silver Machine?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"