Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: May Finds 2016

NSD '73. He was riding the Zeitgeist. Passing resemblance to Nik Turner too.My frayed memory seems to remember this being about 10 minutes longer

Anyone know the identity of the lead guitarist?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Lol, it is the greatest cover of Silver Machine there is, hands down!

Wish Johnny Harris had got hold of it, JL hasn't really got the moves

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post

Anyone know the identity of the lead guitarist?
    I think the one on the right is Peter Hesslein, who was in Lucifer's Friend.

The guy on the left is Hellmuth Franke, famous for looking glum at Beach Parties.
    Vardy.....°°°PELIGRO!!!

Cheers BC, it was the one on the right I was referring to. The other chap looks a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights in the vid.

"Passing resemblance to Nik Turner" Yep but a more rotund one without all the neon catsuits and talk of wizards blowing their horns.

Got these on a swap on the market, spanish press of this with a different better cover on 'Vedette' records:

Arthur Lyman - Yellow Bird

Emile ford and the Checkmates - New Tracks

Billy J Kramer - Comp on MFP in Mono

Steve Hillage - L

The Best of Mac & Katie Kissoon

Snuffy Garrett - Listen to this No idea what to expect.

Alan Price - Metropolitan Man

It was Free:

No idea of pressing but nice thick vinyl no scratches and cheap:

EDIT: Been cleaning this found an old receipt from July 1978 tucked inside from some shop in Ilford in Essex although I think its an Italian press, not that I give a rats... No what I wanted to say was I'd forgotten how good this album was, one of the best post Syd albums. I've genuinely not listened to it for years and it doesn't have the dripping tap, I love shit like that. I dont know what the band have against it considering some of the dire stuff that came later. I've not listened to their very last postscript album but I bet its over-produced pants with lots of wanky guitar solos. I've never listened to 'The Division Bell' come to that but an old sadly missed friend saw the tour. Hello up there mate!
    Last edited by amidar; 10-05-2016 at 11:17 PM.

9 lps from Azerbadjan - those 3 are the most interesting - Mugham music.
    It is strange because the first one in my possesion is 3 lps box and in Discogs and everywhere is simple one.

http://oriental-traditional-music.bl...zerbaijan.html

P.S. Kronos is not included in the lps (only Qasimov All for trade

A pound bought me the following. They also had 'Solid Gold Hammond' which I don't have and probably isn't good but they had both been stored in those thick PVC liners and this had survived having only a paper sleeve inside the other was not so lucky and had a plastic/paper inner with the record covered in a sticky glue. Quid change from my haircut fate innit? :

Interesting fact my father hates Michael Parkinson.

Following on I've secretly been buying those magazines with the jazz records on from WHSMITHS Jazz mags if you will if they look interesting. This fortnights is 'Duke Ellington - Money Jungle' with Mingus and Max Roach on it. Never heard it so thought what the heck and what a strangle little album it is, the contrast in styles of the old and the new breed is striking. Apparently Mingus stropped off midway through the sessions, he's top on the eponymous track. It's almost a forecast of what was to come. Listening now wonderful way to wind down the day.
    Last edited by amidar; 11-05-2016 at 10:49 PM.

I like Parky's shirt though

I'm with you on Parky's fashion choice but if that's neat whiskey in that glass I'd wager that boat suffered a terrible fate.

I like Parky's shirt though

Great sleeve. Touch of Yewtree.
    Spirit Duplicatorócollectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Love the Parkinson sleeve!

It's a bit half and half music wise but a definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I'm with you on Parky's fashion choice but if that's neat whiskey in that glass I'd wager that boat suffered a terrible fate.
    Yep! I guess it's all in the lp title

Popped into Oxfam this morning to get out of the rain and was stunned to find a lovely copy of this in the racks - the proverbial 1/99 copies, original 1974 issue. A substantial donation to follow to maintain good record karma...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Popped into Oxfam this morning to get out of the rain and was stunned to find a lovely copy of this in the racks - the proverbial 1/99 copies, original 1974 issue. A substantial donation to follow to maintain good record karma...

Ober Oooooooof. Nicely done Tom! Just the sort of thing I hope to find (in my dreams)...
    Last edited by someblokecalledfuz; 12-05-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Seconded (sorry, thirded) on the OOOOOFFFFS! on that one Tom. Even the 90s reish goes for a packet. More than the financial aspect though, that's a proper needle in an enormous haystack job. That's a great find in the wild. Looks nice and clean from your photos. Bless the weather eh?

****in' Tom! Good work that man.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Ye Gods. A Holyground. In Oxfam. For £1.99! The wifi signal must have been on the fritz the day they priced that up. Hearty congratulations!
    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

A THROUGH THE ROOOOF OOOOOOF Tom. Good Job sir
    Rock on Penderyn

These came today a bulk ebay buy. The seller did a great deal on postage so if it was anyone here I tip my hat. I love the Dwight Trible album not so familiar with the rest, relying on the sellers fine taste. Put a bid on them all days before the end and no one bothered outbidding me on any:

I've been playing the Simonsound in the Landie following the recommendation from SK. I like most of it except the last track.

Funny that its the first one I put on probably because its a single record, the rest are mostly doubles and a triple. Loving the analogue synth and Library influence, really well produced too.

I've been playing the Simonsound in the Landie following the recommendation from SK. I like most of it except the last track.

A few quickies before I'm consumed by infantile excitement as Sheffield Wednesday prepare for the playoffs tomorrow night...

'The Grumbleweeds Album' - The 'Agnes Guano' influence strikes again...no obscure psychedelic classics on the album that followed 'Teknicolor Dream'...just a bit of knockabout comedy, that Jimmy Savile impression and a few half baked cover versions, although side one is interspersed with clips of a version of 'There's No Business Like Showbusiness' which borders shockingly on the Funkadelic and had it been left whole might have yielded a breakbeat or two. And not a sniff of Wilf 'Gas Mask' Grimshaw either...

Nancy Sinatra - 'Nancy's Greatest Hits' - Caught in a torrential downpour in Congleton, I took shelter under the nearest market stall where an old guy was selling old speakers - he had a few records so I took a punt and pulled out this rather minty copy of Nancy's Greatest and landed it for a quid. I've got them all already of course, but she does look nice in her mini kaftan...a decent collection but the split stereo rather spoils the experience here and there...

Philip John Lee - 'Flamenco Virtuoso' - from the parched and arid plains of erm...Norwich comes Philip John Lee, flamenco virtuoso. I'd previously heard a track of his on a Rediffusion sampler and been quite impressed, so was glad to find the album. The sleeve notes assure us that despite his wayward origins, the inglese spent time amongst and became accepted by the flamenco community of southern Spain and he certainly gets through all the styles; fandanguillos, rondenas and jaleos abound. The interesting thing, emphasised perhaps by Monty Berman's production which tones down the guitar slapping and other percussive flamenco aspects is that somehow Lee's playing still retains a modicum of English folkiness - imagine John Renbourn playing flamenco for instance - I can certainly see this giving him a unique identity in Spain - 'Soleo of The Century' if you will...(although I imagine you probably won't...)

...back after the break...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Have you heard the mix they did Paul? You'd like it!

https://www.discogs.com/Simonsound-H...elease/2140811

There was also a couple of other mixes they did which used to be on their website but seem to have disappeared now. I nabbed them at the time - electronics / psych / breaks = ace
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Congleton, I had no idea you were so posh GC. I have a Phillip John Lee album not on Rediffusion though but am betting its the same one.

Bootie on Sunday
    Cotswold Characters lp on Saydisc x 2 same box, one after the other 50p each.
    Great dialect lp, love the female road sweeper from Gloucestershire,s accent and story about being the only female roadsweeper in Gloucestershire.
    Chigago "Im a man" mint 45 50p

Rescued from the foot high pile of scattered records warping in the sun yesterday
    Arp-Life "Jumbo Jet" Polish Muza lp Not sure what this doing in there, didn,t know it, but was taking a chance because it was on Muza label.
    3 decent tracks, one with a nice break intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wd8_cgJiRo

Jackson Five "Dancing Machine" lp.
    Copped because its one you dont normally see at the bootie.

Cumbias Colombianas lp.
    Looked interesting, buts its a miss for me.
    All the above 3 were a pound each.

45,s
    Sindy meets the Dollybeats. 50p
    Had this already.
    Sindy doll promotion record.
    One side tells the stoy of how Sindy meets the group, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ly1-Bw5pYk the other is a poptastic tune about Sindy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgTycdtlorc

and a few Bbbc 45s
    Richard Denton "Theme from hong kong beat" 50p Sounds a bit like Pink Floyd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtVsvZ41zQ
    Limelight Orchestra "Theme from Scorpion" 50p
    Kimera The Lost Opera 50p
    George Kotsonis "Aphrodites Theme" 50p

Quote Originally Posted by Taze View Post
    Kimera The Lost Opera 50p
    Re-sult!...see my recent big-up on the classical thread...bad, but good bad...
    you can hear colours when they rhyme...