Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: June Finds 2016

I always pick up Chieri Emi rekkids when I see 'em ... lovely voice, good arrangements ... she did a lot of stuff with the Tokyo Cuban Boys ...

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I like the look of that Chieri Emi one. The 10" of Japanese Folk Tunes she did with the Tokyo Cuban Boys is one of my favourites, and that one's got Nobuo Hara and his Sharps and Flats on it.

Koto in a latin vein tickles my fancy, too.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I always pick up Chieri Emi rekkids when I see 'em ... lovely voice, good arrangements ... she did a lot of stuff with the Tokyo Cuban Boys ...

I like the look of that Chieri Emi one. The 10" of Japanese Folk Tunes she did with the Tokyo Cuban Boys is one of my favourites, and that one's got Nobuo Hara and his Sharps and Flats on it.

Koto in a latin vein tickles my fancy, too.

In moderation my father in law thought it was a miracle ingredient and put it everything. On top of that he couldn't cook, first time I went for a Sunday dinner there was this dish in the centre of the table that was green and I thought 'looks quite nice that, some kind of thai curry or pesto thing' I supposed so I took a bit and it was some weird stone cold fish thing he'd made up which would horrify Rick Stein.

It was early on in the relationship and I felt I had to eat it. No one had warned me not to eat anything he put on the table. I'm still clueless as to what I ate that day but it definitely would had had MSG in it.

Why not? MSG is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    In moderation my father in law thought it was a miracle ingredient and put it everything. On top of that he couldn't cook, first time I went for a Sunday dinner there was this dish in the centre of the table that was green and I thought 'looks quite nice that, some kind of thai curry or pesto thing' I supposed so I took a bit and it was some weird stone cold fish thing he'd made up which would horrify Rick Stein.
    I quite like the sound of that.
    My love affair with MSG began as a child and my grandma would let us cover our dinners with Aromat. I think she thought it was full of wholesome herbs or something. It's full of salt and yummy MSG.

I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Got back yesterday from a raiding trip...sorry road trip that covered roughly 1500 miles. I will definitely have been on someone's turf but before you all panic no charity shops were emptied of their raers in the process.

Only got time for a taster shot at the moment, will do a full listing later. Not a massive pile admittedly but did have family to consider so I'm taking it as adequate.

The pic is deliberately obfuscated to hike up the mystery (don't get excited folks!). Bonus points for anyone who wants to have a crack at what's in there before I do a proper post and if anyone knows where my new avatar was shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Melter View Post
    Got back yesterday from a raiding trip...sorry road trip that covered roughly 1500 miles. I will definitely have been on someone's turf but before you all panic no charity shops were emptied of their raers in the process.

Only got time for a taster shot at the moment, will do a full listing later. Not a massive pile admittedly but did have family to consider so I'm taking it as adequate.

The pic is deliberately obfuscated to hike up the mystery (don't get excited folks!). Bonus points for anyone who wants to have a crack at what's in there before I do a proper post and if anyone knows where my new avatar was shot.

The Best Of Cal Tjader, another Tjader lp and a Les McCann one a bit higher up.

Your avatar is a basket-woven tribute to Gex: Enter the Gecko on the Playstation, but i don´t know where one would find such a thing.

Couple in the post, don't know why anyone doesn't outbid me on these but is desperate to outbid me on more popular guff when there are reissues available for roughly the same price and on the right labels too. I give up trying to buy anything half known on eBay these days. First up:

Don Cunningham Quartet - Something for Everyone

American reissue recorded live in the 'Living Room of the Playboy Lounge St Louis' Don was obsessed with Exotica and Les Baxter at the time making this a crazy mix of jazz and exotic grooves with customary 'Quiet Village' cover, its totally fab.

Various - Ready or Not Vol 2

Collection of Jazz from the 'CBC Radio Canada Archive' Bought from the same guy who seems to have good taste or has just come into a collection of some decent jazz and hip hop records from America. Mixture of modal and Soul Jazz, 'Deep' as some twattish DJ's might say. Its a good collection at any rate.

Last edited by amidar; 08-06-2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: just not juts...

Quote Originally Posted by Turboellis View Post
    Are there two ways of spelling this because I thought it was Chiemi Eri but I notice both you and Babycart spell it with the 'r' and 'm' reversed?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Are there two ways of spelling this because I thought it was Chiemi Eri but I notice both you and Babycart spell it with the 'r' and 'm' reversed?
    No. i got it wrong. i always get her wrong for some reason.

The Best Of Cal Tjader, another Tjader lp and a Les McCann one a bit higher up.

Your avatar is a basket-woven tribute to Gex: Enter the Gecko on the Playstation, but i don´t know where one would find such a thing.
    Eagle eyes!! Incorrect with the avatar though.

Not exactly finds but this week's purchases

me too ... i can never get it right either, and i should really know better ...

No. i got it wrong. i always get her wrong for some reason.

I visited my mother in a small town a bit up north. I usually visit on weekends, when the neighbor town's large charity shop is open, but on a weekday, I could visit the small Red Cross shop that's always been closed when I've visited. I had very low hopes, but these two stuck out at 50p.
    The Brothers soundtrack by Taj Mahal was a bit underwhelming and doesnt do anything for me, will go straight to my outbox. I fear it will eventually return to the charity circuit.
    Mickey Newbury's first record was more interesting, you can certainly hear the seeds of what was to come on Mabel Frisco Joy. His original of Just Dropped In (too see what condition my condition was in) was surprising, it's not as striking as the First Edition hit, more a strange mix of country and psych.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    The Brothers soundtrack by Taj Mahal was a bit underwhelming and doesnt do anything for me, will go straight to my outbox. I fear it will eventually return to the charity circuit.
    I felt the same at first and didn't play it for a long while but recently it has had plenty of air time. Its laid back vibe grows on you.
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

I'd agree Medlar, love Taj Mahal but not one of his most instant, great Chazza find. I had a similar thing to Cratedigger today I took the wife to the Dentist in a dusty part of town that has a charity shop, something to do with Dogs or animals in general. Anyway its never open, a bugger to park but this time it was so it was only a small walk from the Dentist so I took a trip. Pulled out a lesser spotted 'Alan Haven' thought that's my lot there was a lot of Xian too. Anyway I said how much for the Records and '10p she replied' so all the Xian came home which is good as one is quite a rare Jamaican spirituals one.

Also minted up my well played owned for years copy of 'Three in a Cell from somewhere else and found some strange Cornish Folk and local Private press Jazz which isn't of much cop, the jazz at any rate yet to brave 'John the Fish' but 50p each well spent says me. The jazz one annoyed me slightly as its label is named after what I was going to call my own imaginary record label but it is from 1971 so arse burgers to them.

Will post them all when I get a chance, get the camera out for once.

Not from that album but my favourite Taj song, any excuse. :

On a side not tried out the 'flubit' site. You locate something on Amazon type in the URL and they find you a cheaper deal elsewhere. Probably not good for lesser known records but I saved myself 4 quid and seems HMV out does them on some records dont know if they use any other merchants for music.

Oh and its still too bloody hot up North!

I need to stop buying records for a while.

Hope they were cheap I keep seeing that 'ISB' for silly money on my travels like its the holiest of grails!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Hope they were cheap I keep seeing that 'ISB' for silly money on my travels like its the holiest of grails!
    ISB was 9 quid, everything else was between 5 and 10 quid. My posts as of late in the finds section have become less interesting as I have put aside picking up more unusual stuff to buy the more typical funk/breaks kinda stuff.

Did you get the game in the Country Joe & The Fish lp?
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

@stylesforfree...whats the Gil and Jackson LP like. Never seen it...late 70's?

If that Taj Mahal 'Brothers'was any more laid back it would fall over.. worth keeping for ' Love theme In The Key Of D ' alone I would suggest.
    record licker

Not a bad price for that if its VG or better folky prices have gone crazy in recent times. If its the one I'm thinking of I'm not a big fan of that 'Gil' album, its no 'Winter in America' but anything like that is well worth picking up even in second gear he's superb.

John Mayall once you think you've seen every album he's ever done another crops up and everyone should own 'Birds of Fire' breaks or no breaks. That's another of those eBay albums you watch go for silly money when in most second hand record shops it can be had for a fiver quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
    ISB was 9 quid, everything else was between 5 and 10 quid. My posts as of late in the finds section have become less interesting as I have put aside picking up more unusual stuff to buy the more typical funk/breaks kinda stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    I visited my mother in a small town a bit up north. I usually visit on weekends, when the neighbor town's large charity shop is open, but on a weekday, I could visit the small Red Cross shop that's always been closed when I've visited. I had very low hopes, but these two stuck out at 50p.
    Mickey Newbury's first record was more interesting, you can certainly hear the seeds of what was to come on Mabel Frisco Joy. His original of Just Dropped In (too see what condition my condition was in) was surprising, it's not as striking as the First Edition hit, more a strange mix of country and psych.

I sort of need that Brothers OST... I'm trying to collect soundtracks with covers designed by Saul Bass (the guy who did the titles for most Hitchcock films) with a view to getting them framed and put up on the wall together. Pretty sure that's a Saul Bass cover, isn't it. Anyway, if you wanna trade... hit me up. Not literally, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DRSMITH View Post
    @stylesforfree...whats the Gil and Jackson LP like. Never seen it...late 70's?
    Bridges is 1977

Only picked up on it recently myself (and only on CD) which is ridiculous considering I have had a track on it - Hello Sunday! Hello Road! - on a 12" forever.

Also has Racetrack In France, We Almost Lost Detroit and is generally strong.

As mentioned earlier in this thread been on a long trip with the family over the half-term that took in various locations and a multitude of record shops (big thanks to my wife and kids for their tolerance and patience).

So our intended destination was going to be Northern Ireland to attend a friend's surprise 40th. Normally we'd fly over but this time we decided to make it a longer break and take the car over. This meant plotting a route that would get us from Cornwall via ferry to Belfast and as I've been after a visit to Liverpool for a long time to visit Anfield the plan was to head there and take the ferry from Birkenhead.

To make it more interesting we also decided to do the return journey from Dublin because we haven't been there before either. So all told we made proper stops in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Liverpool, Belfast, Portstewart/Portrush (on the North coast), Dublin and Cardiff.

I did try a few charity shops with no success prior to reaching Liverpool but soon realised this wouldn't wash with the family so decided to just check out as many record shops as I could. Stock as you'd expect was a mixed bag and prices on the whole pretty reasonable. Didn't encounter a single grumpy shop owner, in fact they were all positively friendly and enthusiastic if any help was required. Where I'd picked up a few secondhand bits I always asked about discount and again didn't get any grumbling.

Happy with what I picked up but as always would love to have grabbed more and heaven knows what I left behind that you lot would be slapping me for!

Okay so we'll start with Liverpool.

All these were picked up in Dig. Interesting stock just not enough of it.
    Les McCann - Django.
    Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda.
    Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland Big Band - Faces. Already got More Smiles and have enjoyed that and not having seen this before it sounded interesting with track names like Vortographs and Macrographic.
    Bob Crewe Generation Orchestra - Barbarella soundtrack. Very surprised to see this sitting in the racks at a very reasonable price. Does have a tiny bubble on one track that dips on one side and rises on the opposing side. Played it while there and didn't cause the stylus to stick so decided to go for it. Maybe it's fixable but if not it will put me on until a better copy arises.
    Balduin - In A Dream. Another I wasn't expecting to drop on. Rated here I believe so it was a no-brainer.

One of my favourite spots in Liverpool was a bar/cafe called The Jacaranda. The upstairs bar has vinyl old and new for sale but its best feature was the deck set into the tables in each booth. You can play anything in the racks that isn't sealed and with four separate controls for the speakers built into the seats you can control where the sound's directed. They do a cracking chocolate cake too.

Onto Belfast where I managed to get to most of the key shops. Lots of fun to be had in Octopus's Garden. A vintage clothes shop with a table on the ground floor full of boxes of secondhand vinyl but go upstairs and there are boxes of the stuff everywhere. It fills two rooms and spills out into other areas too. Was in there for ages and probably didn't get through half of it. Not likely to be anything stunning hidden in there but it was nice to come across some fun or vg+ friendly bits for £1 a go.

Jacques Loussier Trio - Play Bach Numero Quatre. My first taste of the Loussier trio and sounds very nice.
    Tom Jones - Green, Green Grass of Home. Mrs Melter wanted this so it was duly added to the pile.
    Electronic Organs Today - Ad-Rhythm comp. Vaguely recalled some of you saying you always picked up Ad-Rhythm stuff so was worth a go at that price.
    James Last - Well Kept Secret. First time I've seen this out and about so go on then.
    Della Reese - Della Della Cha Cha Cha. Nice sleeve front and back and looked like it might be fun.
    The In Crowd - S/T. Again looked interesting enough to grab.

This next batch were from Sick Records and Dragon Records, Belfast. The Quincy Jones comp is in the wrong pic and should have been with the Liverpool batch having come from Jacaranda (see above).

Musiques Electroniques en France 1974 - 1984 - Vol.1. Always a sucker for a bit of synth action but might be a bit too experimental for my taste.
    Piero Piccioni - Colpo Rovente.
    Bruno Spoerri - Langstrasse Zwischen 12 und 12.
    McGuinness Flint - S/T. Not entirely sure why I picked this one up. Think I was getting told to get a shifty on by the family and made a quick lunge for something cheap.
    Quincy Jones - Comp.

Pressing onto Dublin. Got into a few shops but was largely disappointed by the quality of the secondhand stuff but my last stop RAGE (Record Art Game Emporium) proved better and delivered my only purchases in this city. Picked up a couple of bits and went to pay and the guy said there's loads more downstairs! Luckily the family had stepped outside when he said this so I ran down and picked up one more but didn't really have time to explore fully.

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings.
    Gary McFarland - Soft Samba.
    Manfred Mann - Mann Made. Been on the mental wants list for the track You're For Me.

Final big stop before heading back to Cornwall was an overnight in Cardiff. Had about an hour spare before we needed to get on the road so decided to pick Kelly's Records in the market house. Bit overwhelmed by the amount of stock initially and where to start but did some browsing and put together this final batch before I was dragged by the scruff of the neck out of there and told that's it you're done, no more records!

Bill Black's Combo - Turn On Your Love Light. Didn't know it, it was cheap and it looked interesting. In the bag it went.
    Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Crystal Illusions. Think this was the only one missing from the Mendes essentials.
    Cal Tjader - Breeze From The East. Bit battered but very cheap so hoping it cleans up a little.
    Cal Tjader - The Best Of.
    Quincy Jones - Quincy Plays For Pussycats.

I may not be allowed near anything vinyl-related for the near future but this lot should keep me going for a while.

Nice selection especially the 'Alice'. I let that 'Les McCann' slip through my fingers on eBay for no money, did I make a mistake?

Now thats a a nice selection Melter, some really interesting looking records there. And no, unfortunately no game in the country joe and the fish LP, only 6 quid for an OG pressing though.

A brace of afro-soul singles from a South African online auction site. Instrumentals with angular guitar and Farfisa organ, except for Lulama Legola who is a fine singer even if his lyrics could use work. Soul Explosions is my pick but there's not really a bad side among the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Melter View Post
    Della Reese - Della Della Cha Cha Cha. Nice sleeve front and back and looked like it might be fun.
    Kick back the rug, turn up, grab your wife and bust some cha cha moves - fantastic record! Sounds like a trip and a half Melter, any photos?
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Yeah what candiman said, Bridges is a strong LP, deep and funky with a disco edge, very underrated imo