Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: july 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Dragged myself out out bed at 6am on Sunday morning, wondering why I bother as there'll be no records today, whats the point and why do I put myself through it.
    bennyboy, very nice haul ...

I go through exactly the same on a Saturday morning at exactly the same time ... as we all know, you never know when the diamonds are going to sparkle from within the shit ... for me last Saturday, it was this Doors EP in very good condition and from 1969!

A very unusual find, and it'll be funding my other more adventurous purchases for a while I hope.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I was also pleasantly surprised to find this super cheap in a shop where I suspect the guy doesn't know very much about non-Japanese music

I'm enjoying it immensely ...

This is interesting but not really my cup of tea:

Italian Prog - Uno

Gotta experiment when the prices are low ...

Lastly, there's this Legrand LP I didn't know existed ... apparently Japan only ... it's pretty top quality on the ball Legrand and the whole LP starts off with a bass solo ... not many musicians would get away with that but, of course he does ...

that was a present from a very generous friend ...

Wow! The Spisars look incredibly cool.

The lunchtime run bears fruit.

Only the second 'terminator' I've ever found. This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?

The other LP was a bit of a punt. Private press jazz from '73 and had references to jazz-rock and a track with boogaloo in the title so it wasn't that risky. It's pretty good - upright bass, nice brass and breakz.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    The other LP was a bit of a punt. Private press jazz from '73 and had references to jazz-rock and a track with boogaloo in the title so it wasn't that risky. It's pretty good - upright bass, nice brass and breakz.
    'Frump Trump' ...Lunchtime?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hero View Post
    'Frump Trump' ...Lunchtime?
    yesterday's lunching hour Rich...although I am rather peckish now.

This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?
    Cotton bud, lighter fuel and patience, works best on laminate covers

The lunchtime run bears fruit.

Only the second 'terminator' I've ever found. This one will replace my old copy which has a sticker tear - funnily enough it's right where the sticker is on this copy. How do I get this off Nige?

The chap I visit on Grantham Market made his living as an industrial chemist (or summat along these lines) and he insists that Mr Sheen (other brands of furniture polish are available) is the best thing to lift off adhesives like this. Spray it on, let it soak in and dry, then you should be able to peel it off easy enough. As Reza says, would work best on gloss / laminates and it's always best to experiment on summat you can afford to damage first.

His advice for cleaning vinyl is to use neat Fairy Liquid (other brands of washing up detergent are available) and rub it into the grooves with your fingertips. Then rinse. I'm resolved to give this a bash as I'm finding PVA increasingly tedious. And smelly.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    The chap I visit on Grantham Market made his living as an industrial chemist (or summat along these lines) and he insists that Mr Sheen (other brands of furniture polish are available) is the best thing to lift off adhesives like this. Spray it on, let it soak in and dry, then you should be able to peel it off easy enough. As Reza says, would work best on gloss / laminates and it's always best to experiment on summat you can afford to damage first.

His advice for cleaning vinyl is to use neat Fairy Liquid (other brands of washing up detergent are available) and rub it into the grooves with your fingertips. Then rinse. I'm resolved to give this a bash as I'm finding PVA increasingly tedious. And smelly.
    Thanks Ben - I'll give the Mr Sheen a go. Slightly nervous as the sleeve isn't laminated.

I hate stickers (that aren't supposed to be there) on record sleeves - there are a few exceptions like those 17/6' stickers that always seem to be on Trojan LPs and I also allow those 'drastically reduced to 72p' ones which are usually on late 60's Decca LPs to remain. I've also left a minty 25p Woolworths price sticker on my copy of 'Illustrated London Noise'. Beyond that it's zero tolerance.

Got a bit of a space theme this week

True audiophiles listen while standing bolt upright, wearing only their underwear.

Good to be reminded of the finer points occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacapo View Post
    Wow! The Spisars look incredibly cool.
    Yes they are. The Spisarbox is a Swedish quality product from Alstermo Bruk, makers of fine cases. Popular in the 50s and 60s, they started making them again a few years ago, but it seems they have stopped again.
    Spisa actually means to eat, from German speisen, but in the 50s/60s it was hip lingo for "communally listening to records". That is, you'd bring your Spisarboxes over to a friend and listen to the records, safe in knowing that the records are securely stored and can be put into the correct index folder after listening.

All three colors now! They are getting increasingly popular, to a large extent as retro decoration for people without records. Happy that I could get these for a decent price as I intend to fill them with records.
    The guy at the counter asked me if I was planning to store money in them. I looked like a question mark until I realized that he had no idea of what they were for.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mactheruss View Post
    The very same. Either you're my mother-in-law or the bloke who sorts out Oxfam's records, and I claim my £5 ��
    I wish I was the bloke sorting the records there. They seem to have a great stash hiden in the back and just now and then they release some gems.

I was there the other day and I saw those records you bought.

I just got some Ray Charles & Sam & Dave 7"s. I always find something in the 7" racks.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Isoproryl Alcohol is what I always use 99.9% pure LD. I buy it in big litre bottles from eBay and put it in a smaller 100ml bottle. Just put a little on the sticky stuff rub it around and leave it for 60 secs or so. As said though only on laminated covers it'll damage any print otherwise, leave it 60 secs move your finger around on it and you'll feel it melt off. Cotton bud is probably a good idea safety wise if you don't want to get it on your skin, I use those cotton face wipes ladies use for taking off make up.

Don't worry if it gets underneath the laminate and makes wet marks it just evaporates away. I would probably be ultra careful if it was a really expensive record.

For old stickers eg: library ones I carefully use a hair dryer to re-heat the glue and remove the sticker, can take a while though and not without its dangers.
    Last edited by amidar; 07-07-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Gonna go with a quick round-up before the football (Allez les Bleus!!).

Might even have chance to get some trades up before kick-off (I'm on a roll here, it's like I would be at work if I actually made some effort!).

I had a load of stuff to take down the market to do some trading, so wended my way down there a couple of Saturdays ago, dodging some absolute deluges. The precipitation did at least have the pleasant by-product of causing some of the sellers to pack up early, particularly the Artisan baker, who was knocking out amazing stuff ‘Any five items on the table for a fiver!’. So, I’ve now discovered a real penchant for spelt bread – where had that been all my life? Anyhoo, back to vinyl. Having recently made my first trip to Kentish Town to see Jane’s Addiction, it was nice to get some of their vinyl (it doesn’t turn up as much as you’d expect), the live recording went to my mate, but ‘Nothing’s Shocking’ stays with me – still a complete classic IMHO. Black Crowes ‘Remedy’ had been an earworm for some time and I’d been meaning to grab one, again, a longer process than I’d expected and maybe this limited edition is overkill, but I’m not known for my patience (“Oh, you’re probably not Dr Kildare then!” – The People’s Poet). I got Stone Temple Pilots in Rob’s Records for a quid and sent that on to my mate, not sure if he’ll make use of the T-shirt transfer that’s still in the sleeve, but I’ll respect him if he does.

From this lot, the ‘pink rim’ issue of Traffic was for the aforementioned pal as he’s been banging on about ‘Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring?’ for ages and the parent album is such a corker. I got Atlantis for myself as it was a pretty decent price for a swirl and, though perhaps not as good as ‘It’s Getting Better’, is still a nifty piece of funky prog. Focus was a charity shop cheapie and the less said about Home, the better. Straight in the ‘Out’ pile.

Rob (of Rob’s Records) has recently had a couple of bags of prime VV / VG+ easy listening / big band type stuff in and it seems like I’ve had first dibs on them before they hit the racks. The Gitte LP came from those bags and, though a little ‘straight’ for me, you can’t go too far wrong with arrangements from Francy Boland. The Helmut Zacharias is an archetypal VV classic and a keeper. The other two LPs also came from Rob’s – Colin Scot has been consigned to the ‘Out’ pile as it just sounded so over-produced, almost drowning his voice and any real emotion out of the mix. Honey Tree is Xian stuff and sounded Ok on needle-drop, will give that another spin.

Minty Indo-Jazz Men from a chazza, not my cuppa, so up for Trades (hope to post some up later), spare of Ian Green, which is a pretty underrated album I reckon (although obviously gets a bit of love on the forum). Two in trades from Joe, who has a knack of turning up the folk-funk grooves with the kind of regularity that shames me!

Some more chazza finds here. Random stuff from the local PDSA and, even though these weren’t 50p, I’m not complaining as they needed rescuing and I’m happy to add ‘Sheba Baby’ to my soundtracks section (plus the doggies get some money). O’Donel Levy took me right back to my earliest digging days as I got this and Reuben Wilson ‘Bad Stuff!’ together off Newark flea-market many, many years ago. It’s not my kind of thing now, but really nice to have the nostalgia button pressed. Billy Vaughan is a bit too easy for me and I really only got the Richard Anthony to hear how his version of ‘Take Five’ compares to his French language ‘Ne boude pas’ (I prefer the French). Both these last two will be in the next round of Freebies, which needs to happen soon for the sake of my lack of space!

Bit of nifty soundtrack action from eBay. I was after ‘The Italian Job’ and got it for a very reasonable sum and after checking the seller’s other items, was the sole bidder on the reasonably scarce Roy Budd comp (I seem to be picking up Roy’s stuff quite a bit lately and I promise that I’ve made no concerted effort to do so). ‘Planet of the Apes’ was one I’ve mentioned a couple of times on here as being a box I needed to tick off and I had a fairly low bid accepted by a Russian seller, who sent me the best packaged record ever – real care and attention went into it and also the box it came in had about a million stamps on it – the lad must have gone home totally dehydrated. Ok, this isn’t the most danceable soundtrack ever, but it’s very evocative uneasy listening “This is a madhouse!!”. And a bit of Fairport from Anarchy Records the other day – not had chance to listen yet, but it seemed to neatly square the circle of Dave Swarbrick’s recent passing.

Bit of Spencer Davis business from the BHF shop near my bus stop, not exactly minty, but cleaned up just fine. Two more from Anarchy - second issue of Associates’ debut, now filed alongside the OG and the Japan / Sylvian fixation shows no sign of abating. This Anne Clark thing was just a random one that I picked up in Rob's as Vini Reilly featured on the credits, but there is precious little guitar action – replaced by quite dark electronica (over which Anne recites poetry) that has Joe written all over it (coming your way if you want it mate).

A few more from Rob’s secret carrier bags of easy listening. ‘Cry Woolf’ has more than a whiff of fromage about it, but there’s summat really reminiscent of ‘Mary, Mungo and Midge’ about it and the pressing of those nostalgia buttons make it a keeper (albeit a casually sexist keeper). The Chaquito is one of his that I’ve not seen before, but is right up there in terms of quality – latin, but pretty tough, beaty grooves. The bottom two are both Stones-related. Living Guitars is just a bit too hysterical and the tempo has been increased too much and will be a freebie. Primal Scream 12” is basically a Stones pastiche…………….but a good one. Controversially, I always much preferred ‘Give Out….’ to ‘Screamadelica’.

Continuing the Stones theme. I’ve kept meaning to track ‘Miss You’ down on 12” (pink vinyl, don’t you know?) and had made a bid on one on eBay and received a snotty comment back from the seller (It was on at £12 and I bid £7 as a gambit), so I binned him off and three weeks later won this one for £3, mainly as the seller had listed it as Rolloing Stones - I'm happy. ‘Some Girls’ came from Rob’s – ‘Beast of Burden’ – bang! And I treated myself to come Charlotte goodies as I’ve been hit with a restraining order and can only connect with her through her music now. Anyway, the box set was listed at summat like 70% off from a German seller on eBay, so that was a no-brainer. The limited reissue of ‘5.55’ came from Rough Trade Nottingham. I love her.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I need to catch up on finds - I've bagged some more 78s but I'm not sure there's much interest here so I'll just post any that are 'a bit out there'. Pleasingly, quite a lot of 78s are 'a bit out there'.

Until I do, can anyone tell me what the VGP word is for not finding a record in twenty years of digging then having it turn up twice in the same week?

I've got a bit of buyers remorse over picking up the second copy of this today since it was with a a couple of other interesting looking James Lasts on Polydor and I decided to buy the same one I'd already bought a few days earlier. There's probably a VGP word for that too.

Superb record though, very classy. I'd never heard it before. I've listened to his version of Inner City Blues again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    can anyone tell me what the VGP word is for not finding a record in twenty years of digging then having it turn up twice in the same week?
    Records are like buses?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

the less said about Home, the better. Straight in the ‘Out’ pile. .
    Don't let this one deter you from picking up the other Home releases. it's dreadful, but it's an anomaly in their admittedly small catalog.

Time for a new word?

A deluge of grails could be a 'grailuge'. A mere two minor grails would be a minor grailuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlitos View Post
    I wish I was the bloke sorting the records there. They seem to have a great stash hiden in the back and just now and then they release some gems.

I was there the other day and I saw those records you bought.

I just got some Ray Charles & Sam & Dave 7"s. I always find something in the 7" racks.
    Yeah, it's an interesting mix, isn't it? I've picked up some decent singles there too, though it seems a bit random when they're 50p and when they're a quid.

Some of my best buys have been among the higher priced items - most recently what I'm pretty sure is a first press Rubber Soul for a tenner. Classic VG+ condition but plays fine and will I hope fund a few more experimental buys in the days ahead 😎.

Lps from Hoorn

About half the 45s, these are the p/s ones, so easier on the eye.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

OOOffff I know a few there, nice one on the 'Davy Graham' hope you can get that sticker off.

Sticker's already gone. The cover is a bit shabby, but I played it this morning and it's a lovely copy. Mono, boxed Decca. Cheap

Jay Jays is a mono og, could have had a few cheap copies of that.
    US 69 has been on my radar for a while, worth waiting for, it's terrific.

Couldn't be arsed to do a blow by blow account of the sounds to tell you the truth. Very rarely I get any feedback on them, so if anyone thinks they look interesting, check them out.

Looking on Discogs I didn't get it for a moment. Plenty of those Davy Graham's. Then it clicked. There was something different about the pricier ones. Congratulations.

I think it's the cheapest way to pick up a mono press. I was offered a scratched 1st press for £100 a couple of months back! Glad I hung on. 20 euros is more my style. Only took nearly 40 years

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

And I treated myself to come Charlotte goodies as I’ve been hit with a restraining order and can only connect with her through her music now. ... I love her.
    If you ever make it out here I'll take you to the Charlotte-themed bar/restaurant. I believe they've expanded their scope now to include her parents, but it would certainly be up your street.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Took a trip north to visit my mother. This usually involves two sidetrips: to the local Saturday church charity sale and to her neighbor's basement-cum-record store.
    Good things have turned up at the church charity sale before, but today there were quite a few local diggers out as well. Just three crates and according to the banter between the locals the same as the last 5 weeks or so. Still, I picked up a Voodoo Party in good nick. Obviously not hip in these parts.
    My mother's neighbor is doing some record dealing in his basement, obviously sourcing locally. He is mostly into metal, as most people are round there, but also some 60s/70s. But I never find anything in his usual crates.
    He had a box of 45s, mostly overpriced. I picked out these 6 Shocking Blue 45s in Dutch PS. Maybe I overpayed a bit at 20£ for the lot but I have a thing for them currently.

And another thing. I usually find the one thing in his 1£ box that is totally off his radar. Took the edge off of slightly overspending on the 45s. Ugly tear on the sleeve, but record is near minty.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Lovely stuff Paul. Jealous of the Jay Jays LP! I was on the look out for one at the last Utrecht but never saw one at the right price. 'The Cruncher' = fuck yeah!

What's that Yellow hand LP? New one in me.

A few 45s I don't know too. Will be having a Google + YouTube sesh I think.