Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: july 2016

Wasn't sure if you had the Jay Jays or not Lee. Would have picked one up, definitely at "the right price"! Doh!
    The Yellow Hand lp is on German Capitol. It's a bit controversial as more than half the tunes are written by Stephen Stills or Neil Young. Apparently they were unreleased Buffalo Springfield songs, which someone, somehow got hold of. Definitely one for fans of that whole extended CSNY group of artists sound. I like it.
    With the 45s,obviously Shocking Blue is the better Swedish press.
    You might want to check the flip of The Baroques, tune called Dream maker, also a surpisingly good Tee Set flip, Colours of the rainbow. The Clee's Five 45 is a cracker, a side reminds me of J. C. Heavy a bit. That might be spare too.

Gary O'Shannon is a double (a side is pants, b side is brill'), as is Rob Hoeke with Margio on it, a complete stomper. Got another Jay Jays 45 with I keep Tryin' on it, I'm guessing you have that.
    Doubled up on a few more Dutch '60s 45s not shown. Will PM you.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    With the 45s,obviously Shocking Blue is the better Swedish press.
    Yeah, what's with Swedish SB presses turning up in NL while Dutch presses turn up here?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I can understand why the Swedish press would turn up in NL, it blows the others out of the water. Maybe the Swedes preferred the SB-light version? Only kidding CD. There definitely were other, harder edged versions in Sweden (but why?), as in The Red Squares 45. Any other notable examples?

Great stuff Paul. I'll pm you too.

Aren't there some Swedish only Downliners Sect 45s that are pretty wild?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Like this you mean?

Much better version.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I hate stickers (that aren't supposed to be there) on record sleeves - there are a few exceptions like those 17/6' stickers that always seem to be on Trojan LPs and I also allow those 'drastically reduced to 72p' ones which are usually on late 60's Decca LPs to remain. I've also left a minty 25p Woolworths price sticker on my copy of 'Illustrated London Noise'. Beyond that it's zero tolerance.
    Sounds like a manifesto!
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Stickers on the actual records are a bug bear! One of the worst culprits being Flashback in London who insist on putting a walloping great sticker right across the label of a 45 that has been (very often) pristine for nigh on 50 years! FFS! Don't they like the stuff they sell? Sort it out chaps

I found a fair few records this week including a bunch of 45s from my pal John's 50p boxes including a mint Wayne Fontana - waiting for a break in the clouds, a Dandelion EP with the way they where - King dick II on it and Slade - know who you are and about 20 other things but I didn't take a pic of them.

I did take a pic of this:

A long time want. Great to get the original Irish press complete with company bag. Killer freakbeat version of the tune made famous by Billy Davis and the exciters.

I was early for a train this morning so killed literally 10 minutes at the Carboot. Frustratingly there were loads of records there. Happily I did manage to grab this

The lady had a box of interesting looking disco 12s but my knowledge of the genre is slim but I knew this one is a 'biggie'. I walked away and called fellow Mudder Russ as he's a disco dude. Annoying he arrived to see his disco digging nemesis waking off with the box and its contents. On reflection a move I should have made - ah well

A trawl around the charities and a record shop yesterday

Chuffed to mint up on the Manfred Mann - it wasn't a quid but was well under going rate. Old copy already gone to a good home too.
    The hip hop was a spot of boutique digging for Russ.
    The Curtis Knight and the Bob Kubhan were from a loca shop for a reasonable price. Yet to digest properly
    Those Chappell 45 sleeve were the other digging dissapointment of the weekend - heart fluttered when I spotted the sleeve immediately followed by a sigh when I realised every single one of the 10 or so sleeves contained bog standard charity shop 45s. Bah. Wonder what the original contents were?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Never knew 'Eamonn Andrews' had studios or what part he played in the 60's Irish music scene. Learn something new everyday here.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Stickers on the actual records are a bug bear! One of the worst culprits being Flashback in London who insist on putting a walloping great sticker right across the label of a 45 that has been (very often) pristine for nigh on 50 years! FFS! Don't they like the stuff they sell? Sort it out chaps
    Thank you. Ruined labels on the 45s I've bought from there.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Eamonn Andrews Studios! I'd never heard that either. Excellent.

Here's some bits - I took some stuff down the tip on friday, and noticed a pile of records left on a bin that somebody had obviously decided to not blindly chuck over the side. Had a quick look, and as there were a few interesting looking pic covers so I grabbed the lot and nipped back to my car. About 20 lps and 30 45's, German and some Russian, a right old mix. Had an enjoyable evening digging through a lot of shlager 45's, German K-Tel lp's & Souvenir of Berlin records, but a few nice bits in there, and all the records are pristine, even if covers aren't.

My Sweet Lord looks like a German Stereo Gold Award type cash-in, but does have some original material from some great made-up in the studio names - Corporal Gander's Fire Dog Brigade & Electric Food doing some nice psych rock. The middle LP is a souvenir of a trip to Russia, with many fine folk songs. Quite a gatefold package. Pops In Baroque is quite a tight piano trio jazzing up some pop hits Baroque style. Works quite well.

Culled from amongst the numerous Udo Jurgens 45's are a Roxy & Sweet picture sleeve, some great Odeon sleeve design for Keith West (tune) and The Scaffold (hmmm), and best of the bunch is 'Cut My Hair' by The Lords, and the Peter Thomas Sound Orchester's great space age pop 45.

As all local boots were called off this morning, thought I'd pop into a charity shop on my afternoons wanders, with me son in tow. Took a little train ride out of Brighton, and first shop threw up a nice selection of LP's, and a great reggae 12. Further shop investigations revealed a comp of early Prince (I've got the Numero 94 East 45, and it's great) and random gospel LP, and a Julie Felix LP purchased mainly for the Renbourn connection. So made up for the lack of booter action.

Here's the 12 - nice female vocal on a Mad Professor production. Good dub side.

No "Peace Now" in the Udo Jurgens then?

What a touch on The Movement 45 Lee. Savage guitars, bet that's getting an airing at the next Mud.

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Those Chappell 45 sleeve were the other digging dissapointment of the weekend - heart fluttered when I spotted the sleeve immediately followed by a sigh when I realised every single one of the 10 or so sleeves contained bog standard charity shop 45s. Bah. Wonder what the original contents were?
    No need to fret. Those sleeves more than likely housed pop/chart 45s purchased from Chappell's music store on Bond Street in the 70s. I remember rummaging through their ex-chart boxes and seeing those sleeves on 45s by The Osmonds etc.
    Last edited by Mang; 11-07-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

on that Julie Felix is quite a nice version of Geordie, backed by Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick:

Recent Discogs buy:

Elizabeth Waldo - Maracatú

lovely bit of exotica, full album on that youtube link. she made several South/Central American inspired albums.

Dr Pablo & The Dub Syndicate - North Of The River Thames. Great album. Took me a couple of minutes to register the title is obviously a play on East Of The River Nile by the mighty Augustus.

Singers & Players - Revenge Of The Underdog. Yet to play.

Very happy with these two On-Us at the local second hand shop today. Covers are a bit wrecked but the records themselves are an easy VG+.

Would have soundtracked my just completed fishing/drinking weekend in Glastonbury very nicely.
    BTW Tor Records in Glasto is no more, when did that happen? I missed my annual fishing weekend jaunt last year so it's two years since I've been there.

I helped a friend clear out the flat of her late father, who was a serious hoarder. Three rooms filled with mainly books and magazines, knick-knacks and also some records.
    She made a first culling and took home what she thought looked interesting, which I guess is classic rock. I will have a look at those eventually.
    Now it was all about getting rid of the rest. She started a clearance sale on Saturday, when I was away, so I thought by Sunday there would be little left.
    To my amazement noone had even looked at the records. I had a quick browse through and didn't see anything obviously megarare so I got the lot against helping clear out some stuff. I made a promise to share earnings if it turned out something could earn a bit. I don't think anything will.
    It's a very eclectic mix. I made a first sort and weeded out about two thirds, about two crates, that will go straight to a charity shop. Budget classical, cheap comps, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, that sort of thing.
    Next step will take some time, you'll probably see some here in the weeks to come.
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Already a 'Blue Note' of top quality and 'Kool and the Gangs' finest hour. Nice one CD hope there is more of the same, although I see a stray 'Perry Como' so I get what you mean about hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Already a 'Blue Note' of top quality and 'Kool and the Gangs' finest hour. Nice one CD hope there is more of the same, although I see a stray 'Perry Como' so I get what you mean about hoarding.
    Actually, the McCoy Tyner - Extension is the most "solid" of the lot, and it's a later 70s pressing, but it's in amazing condition and shrink still on. This was actually not with the rest of the records. It was in a shelf unit jampacked with National Geographic magazines. Figures, as the sleeve is designed to look like a NG magazine.
    Last edited by cratedigger; 12-07-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Absolutely wonderful music, at first glance I thought 'Deutsche Gramophone', then 'National Geographic'.

Sarathy Korwar's album is out now on Ninja Tune, and it's lovely. blend of indian percussion and eastern jazz, very stretched out and gorgeous. Produced by Nick (Emanative) Woodmansey and mentored as past of the Steve Reid Foundation by Nick, Keiran Hebden and Gilles Peterson.

"The extraordinary debut album from percussionist, drummer and producer Sarathy Korwar – Day To Day – fuses traditional folk music of the Sidi community in India (combining East African, Sufi and Indian influences) with jazz and electronics. It’s a collaborative release by Ninja Tune with The Steve Reid Foundation – a charitable trust established by Brownswood / Gilles Peterson with the dual objective of helping musicians in crisis and also supporting emerging talent...."

Album launch party Thursday this week at Total Refreshment Centre.

https://ninjatune.net/release/sarathy-korwar/day-to-day

lovely production too, thick vinyl, lovely gatefold sleeved artwork and booklet.

We're going to fly through ze air ... 'til we get to Zaire!

@candiman nice couple of On-U finds there. Never got round to upgrading my near 30 year old cassette copy of "... Thames", sad to say.
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Sounds up my street Alan and a diversion from recent NT stuff although I've not followed them quite so much in a while. Cheers for the tip.

Yep I'm jealous of that Dub Syndicate too even with its ripped sleeve, great music.

First bunch of the clearance lot. My friend's father seems to have been an erratic record buyer, most have a sale price sticker on them. They do verge towards jazz/funk though.

Charles Wright - Doing What Comes Naturally is actually quite enjoyable. Maybe a bit stretched as a double. One of the songs was even cat-bothering, as she raised her head towards the speaker with a sour face as the guitar was twang-grinding. I think it's a keeper.
    The Collage is one of those soft-psych records I've seen in shops, enticing sleeve, but usually priced a bit above punt level. And I'm glad I didn't fell, cos in my mind it's a one tracker, My Mind's At Ease being the track.
    Disco Brakes had me worrying. I'm not into breaks and I'm probably the least funkiest man on earth. But The J.B.s Blow Your Head is actually headblowing.
    Chocolate Milk, more funk and actually not bad. But not a keeper for me.
    Final two, Michel Berger and Patrick Cowley are so not for me, straight to the outbox.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post

Dr Pablo & The Dub Syndicate - North Of The River Thames. Great album. Took me a couple of minutes to register the title is obviously a play on East Of The River Nile by the mighty Augustus.

The sadly as yet unrecorded follow up was to have been The Bridge on the River Wye

North of the River Cole

Quote Originally Posted by RedX View Post
    The sadly as yet unrecorded follow up was to have been The Bridge on the River Wye

Did you see my comedy haul posted here recently, it included The Bridge On The River Wye - by Milligan/Cook/Sellers/Miller

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    First bunch of the clearance lot. My friend's father seems to have been an erratic record buyer, most have a sale price sticker on them. They do verge towards jazz/funk though.

Chocolate Milk, more funk and actually not bad. But not a keeper for me.
    Chocolate Milk are my cup of tea (that's confusing!) but even if they weren't the cover would make it a keeper for me

Quote Originally Posted by Plainstone View Post
    @candiman nice couple of On-U finds there. Never got round to upgrading my near 30 year old cassette copy of "... Thames", sad to say.
    Yes got a buzz when I found these. Nothing else remotely like them in the box, which always gets me wondering what I might have missed. But mustn't be greedy.

Was going to wait on the four records I ordered at the weekend to come in the post but seems its all over the place these days, the post that is. Anyway this has sat in the charity warehouse for a while and has a few hairlines which has put me off but seems they were just that and it cleaned it up easily, a solid VG+. Solid album too obviously his most famous if I remember right or highest charting at least. A staple in any collection I reckon.

Apologies for the terrible editing of this vid :

Last edited by amidar; 13-07-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: youtube

in a ruthless Waxidermy style, I was considering purging my Richie Havens LPs actually... (other than the Going Back To My Roots 12")

I've always had a soft spot for him since wondering 'Who is that guy with the massive thumb on the Woodstock film' then met a guy on the internet who was obsessed with him and sent me a CD of a lot of his stuff. If I see some I'll buy it but I don't come across him in the wild as much as I'd think I would or something else I haven't heard will catch my eye.

As I posted that previous find the postman came at half past five with these, reissues but were dirt cheap:

Eugene McDaniels - Outlaw Classic

Eddie Fisher and the Next One Hundred Years Never heard and thought you tube samples sounded kind of cool.

The Meters - Struttin' Rhino reissue to make up the numbers on a buy 2 get one free offer.