Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: july 2016

Midweek digging in Milton Keynes and the odd car boot in Northampton, I get around.

Two Ronnies LP's crop up quite often but I'd not come across this cheeky Music Hall
    influenced one from '69 before and gawd-blimey it turns out to be pretty good!

Double pack of the first 2 JC LP's on the great Fly label, I love that logo

some 50p singles

If this 7" from 1960 was from a series I'd love to find a Football one

I've heard of Helen's work but not seen her albums in the wild before
    and this one has a tatty sleeve (on the rear) but the vinyl is beautiful.

Highbrow spoken word/classical music discussion

Sadly not a Vertigo original but a clean and tidy Bronze issue

Not the best Traffic album but gotta love that sleeve.

UK issue of their 3rd LP - they still do nothing for me so will pass this one on

I picked this 78 up for the title alone - looking it up I discovered he had done one called Hiroshima too,
    my best find of the week was a super clean copy of The Animals debut album (posted in the 'Digging' thread)
    Last edited by Head Gardener; 29-07-2016 at 09:21 PM.

one I found yesterday that slipped the net

Stony Stratford oxfam, not been to that neck of the woods before

Was some swing band stuff that I regretted not getting when I got home

And this turned up the morning, no chazza bargain mind you

One record: Daouda - Le Sentimental

https://www.discogs.com/Daouda-Le-Se...elease/2293856

One book: Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/385413.Faking_It
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

End of July was a bit of a buying feast for me. Part 1 is from the record fair in a smalltown on Saturday. Still small but a bit bigger than usual actually, they used an extra room to house 2-3 more sellers this year.

Sly Stone ‎– Recorded In San Francisco 1964-67
    Not as freaked out as the Family Stone but still some really good and more quirky than usual takes on soul/funk.

Chaino ‎– Voodoo Drums

Later German pressing of Jungle Mating Rhythms from 1958. Very good percussion and vocal/chanting/grunting exotica. Cool build up with tuned drums.

Sonja Salvis & Gustav Brom Orchestra ‎– Send For Me

Nice but unfortunately very easy. Some Bacharach covers and similar.

Manu Dibango ‎– Manu 76
    Afrogroove. He uses the discoey stompstompstomp rhytm a bit too much for my liking, but is otherwise good.

Tangerine Dream ‎– Sorcerer
    Dark, moody and excellent electronic soundtrack that I've been waiting for turning up for the last 6 months ever since I started listening much more to their earlier albums.

Maxime Le Forestier ‎– Saltimbanque
    Too much straight chanson.

Nucleus With Leon Thomas ‎– Live 1970
    Previously unreleased collaboration. Was interested to see how the spiritual jazz of Thomas blended with the fusioney stuff from Nucleus, but it turns out Nucleus pretty much adapts to Leon Thomas. Still great music though.

Manu Dibango ‎– Big Blow
    As the one above, but better. One track wouldn't sound out of place in a hardboiled 70s cop movie, but I still would wish for less of that discoey drum.

Variety Orchestra Oktava - S/T
    Latvian orchestra plays... with variety. It's schlager at the core but blended with beat, jazz, rock and even a slightly psychedelic track. Bit all over the place and very varied but has some really good moments.

Ravi Shankar - Charly
    Soundtrack that's quite nice. Interesting to hear Ravi utilizing many non-Indian instruments. Could wish for a bit more edge though.

The Arrows Featuring Davie Allan ‎– Cycle-Delic Sounds

OG to replace my reissue. Biker soundtrack type twang'n'fuzz fest with this monster on it:

Todays adventures will follow....
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

The Nucleus w Leon Thomas sounds interesting.

Part 2 then. This is from a mini "vinyl market" today. See pic from other member in the Day to day digging pics thread. Very nice initiative! Much appreciated. Apparently it has been done before but I have completely missed out, but I thought I heard some people talking about more people than last year. These are mostly (only?) non-professional sellers but collectors clearing out their crap. Lots of cheapie bins, didnät spen more than £28 for this lot.

Jerry Fielding ‎– The Gauntlet
    1978 soundtrack to action movie. Surprisingly it's for the most part pretty straight jazz, I had hoped for some more action. Comes to life every now and then but as a whole a bit... meh.

Donald Byrd - Caricatures
    Jazzfunk of some sort. A bit late and too polished for my taste.

Mongo Santamaria - Mongo Explodes
    With a title like that I had kinda hoped for something wilder. It's good latin jazz, but doesn't really stand out in the crowd.

Orera - S/T
    Georgian pop. Doesn't really stand out either. I believe they have done some really good stuff though.

Willie Colón ‎– El Baquiné De Angelitos Negros
    And here the luck turned. Put the needle down on the first track and was met with the deep drone of a moog of doom that just went on, and then the latin percussion kicked in. Supercool track. The rest is more standard latin but with added string orchestra for a more cinematic feeling. It's also good, but not like that first killer track:

Julius Hemphill ‎– 'Coon Bid'ness
    Unfortunately skips a bit in the first track but as luck would have it that's a short uninteresting track anyway. For me this freejazz with plenty of structure (the drums and bass usually keep a steady rhythm pattern over which the horns freak out) is at its best in Skins 1 with some amazing rhythms and then the sidelong Hard Blues which is amazing.

Tamba Trio ‎– Avanço
    Very nice bossa with some jazz touches.

Eddie Palmieri ‎– Exploration
    One I thank... Babycart I think for mentioning here years ago. Been waiting for a copy to turn up ever since. This is a stellar latin jazz album with some for the genre (imo at least, not really being an expert) unusual tinges of avantgarde. Wow. Here's a slow groove:

Willie Colón & Ruben Blades ‎– The Last Fight
    Another Willie Colon soundtrack but this is less interesting, more standard vocal latin all through.

V/A ‎- Cairo By Night
    If you're gonna buy bellydance albums, one thing to look for are the ones with moog. This is one of those - and if you like me can quite like some bellydance music every now and then this is also a really good thing. If you don't like that kinda stuff it's not for you despite the moog.

So, there's a Malmö fraction of VG+, then.
    From the same vinyl market as Brainbomb. Really nice initiative, and even better than last time. Most sellers are indeed non-professional, and the rest just semi-professional.
    Recognized one seller as he bought quite a few records from me when I cleared out in a apartment block sale in May. A few of them were now in his out crate...

Very happy to find these Tages additions. The 2LP compilation is great, but I don't understand how they could leave out Fuzzy Patterns. Maybe it dwells a bit on their early days. Speaking of which, this copy of their first album looked a bit worn, but was said to play EX. That was an exaggeration, still 9£ for a solid VG with really nice sleeve is still a find.

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of 45s, but after a while a guy arrived with carrier after carrier of latin LPs, and a £1 45 box. Found some great things in there, just a few of them here:

This one has me intrigued. Seemingly a private press, probably from the 60s by the look and sound of it. Very few clues at all. Google turns up nothing, same with Discogs and 45cat. Sounds like a home recording, vocals and acoustic guitar, pop numbers. Sleeve printed by AB IrKå-tryck who did a lot of the 60s Swedish pic sleeves. I must rip this.

And this blew me out. Scorching fuzz goodness. I didn't see this coming out of a £1 box

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

The opposite is sadly very common. High prices leading to record mountain syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    One of my local shops does that too and he'll also put in odd modern classical he knows he'll have problems moving on. 3 for a quid, I never check them which has resulted in the odd warped or scratched beyond repair record coming home but not done too bad on the whole. Its the way to do it, he knows what shifts and what doesn't so everyone's happy.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    So, there's a Malmö fraction of VG+, then.
    Yeah, I've been inspecting grippers in shops, charities and bootsales to see if I can figure out who you are. Nothing concluded yet, hehe.

That fuzz 7" is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    Yeah, I've been inspecting grippers in shops, charities and bootsales to see if I can figure out who you are. Nothing concluded yet, hehe.

That fuzz 7" is sick.
    Likewise. I'm trying to keep a low profile.

Sick indeed. Will be among my top finds this year.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Incredible cratedigger, that Lost & Found 7 ... I won't be able to sleep for a week ... it's impossible but these things do turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post

And this blew me out. Scorching fuzz goodness. I didn't see this coming out of a £1 box
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

The usual stuff you've come to expect, with some freebies from Ben and a few Berwick Street finds.

I know how you all enjoy a nice obscure school disc, so... Joe & Vicki Brown ‎– All Things Bright And Beautiful:

Leominster Junior School Brass Band 1974 ‎– Christmas:

Bob Anthony ‎– Jersey... Ile D'Amour:

Possibly Don Estelle's last vinyl release from his eco-warrior phase, with some of the most excruciating and embittered lyrics ever committed to posterity Don Estelle ‎– Not So Much Waste:

West Indian Touring Team ‎– The West Indians Are Back In Town:

Various ‎– Vintage Variety:

Terry Scott's only LP (with quite a bit of help from June), released only in South Africa for some reason, Terry Scott featuring June Whitfield ‎– Laugh In With Terry Scott:

Ted Chippington ‎– She Loves You (And You Know That Can't Be Bad):

Shelley Berman ‎– Let Me Tell You A Funny Story:

Early marriage tensions surface as Charles is relegated to the b-side, Band Of The Welsh Guards ‎– The Princess Of Wales:

Play Away ‎– Ready, Steady, Go - Play Away!:

Norrie Paramor And His Orchestra ‎– The Magnificence Of Noel Coward:

New Faces winner and still going on the cruise ship circuit Nicky Martyn ‎– Laughter Show:

Them cheeky Geordie lasses! Various ‎– A Neet Wi' The Geordies At "Balmbra's Music Hall":

Robert Mitchum ‎– Calypso Is Like So:

A German release of the music from the film adaptation, Tommy Reilly, James Moody ‎– The Navy Lark:

Larry Verne ‎– Mister Larry Verne:

Various ‎– Memories Of "Band Waggon", "Happidrome" And Other Great Wireless Comedy Shows:

Leila Webster ‎– Ulster Laugh-In:

Various ‎– Late Joys From The Players' Theatre, London:

12 inch of the film's theme, Precocious Brats Featuring Kevin & Perry ‎– Big Girl:

Jane Horrocks ‎– The Further Adventures Of Little Voice:

James Young ‎– It's Great To Be Young:

Roy Cowen And Iain Kerr ‎– You Do Have To Be Jewish:

Charity shop classic, Geoff Love & His Orchestra ‎– Latin With Love:

Great rhetorical questions of our time, Derek Jameson ‎– Do They Mean Us?:

Charlie Drake With The Michael Sammes Singers And Johnnie Spence And His Orchestra ‎– The Man In The Moon:

Allan Sherman ‎– The Best Of Allan Sherman:

Reading the lyrics to the Don Estelle 45, I'm hearing a light reggae beat. Is the backing light reggae?

Cover looks like some lost 80s synth classic from Sheffield. Apart from Agnes your heart would then sink at seeing Don Estelle's name across the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Possibly Don Estelle's last vinyl release from his eco-warrior phase, with some of the most excruciating and embittered lyrics ever committed to posterity Don Estelle ‎– Not So Much Waste:

I can imagine him grumpily lugging a pile of them them from the boot of an Astra parked outside a rundown shopping mall in full Safari suit as a bunch of children hurled abuse at him, poor old Don at least he was safe in the knowledge that Rochdale has a wonderful Town Hall!

Sadly it's not reggae based, there's more than a hint of Billy Joel in there somewhere. This was at the height of Don's experimental 'provincial shopping centre' phase so it is heavy on the Casio synth and vocals and not much else. Maybe Sheffield was an influence, though it is more likely to be Rochdale.

Great posts as usual, Agnes.