Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: August 2016 finds

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    Can't edit, but forgot the Hubert Wolf and his Electronic Zither - The New Sound on Gemini - Terrible!
    Has everyone on the board been suckered by this? Cool graphics, cool label, promise of proto-electronics, exotic sounding name. The thing is, I'm almost certain that if I saw it again for a quid I'd probably buy it thinking maybe I'd got it all wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    Has everyone on the board been suckered by this? Cool graphics, cool label, promise of proto-electronics, exotic sounding name. The thing is, I'm almost certain that if I saw it again for a quid I'd probably buy it thinking maybe I'd got it all wrong...
    been there, done that
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Never seen it but even the mention of Zither would probably lure me in with that cover. That Bert on Circle of Sound is not bad Bongo in fact I'd say its one of his best, there is an original composition on there I forget the name of which is easy cheesy but great. I have it backed up somewhere its almost made the last 2 swaps but never managed to wangle it into the mixes.

thanks, I'll give Bert another spin, only gave it a quick needle drop and it didn't sound promising.

re: Zither - Is Gemini a cool label? - besides some interesting 45s and The Excursion "Night Train" isn't the rest is just junk like those pervy sleeved hammond medleys?

re: Zither - Is Gemini a cool label? - besides some interesting 45s and The Excursion "Night Train" isn't the rest is just junk like those pervy sleeved hammond medleys?
    Ask Col. Sheridan/Price, Iron Maiden and Ghost were amongst the first few releases so, when they were good, they were really good.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I think it's one of the final tracks on one of the sides from memory on the Bert. Anyway here I my doormat finds as the chazza's are still bare although I did find a reissue of Stan Tracy - Under Milk Wood' on CD today although not sure how legit it is they got his surname spelling wrong.

[IMG][/IMG]

So from top to bottom, top to bottom, should have thought how I laid them out really:

Jacco Gardner - Hypnophobia Having listened to the digital version of this for a while now I was unsure but it slowly earwormed its way in so took advantage of 10% off at Juno over the Bank Holiday.

Satisfaction - Satisfaction Came across this on a well known auction site and it was unknown to me so had bit of a listen online and that Jazzy Brass Rock hit straight away so put a sly bid in not expecting to get it but did as no one else was interested it seems.

Satisfaction - Three Ages of Man This is why I laid the lp's out wrong! After discovering I liked the sound of Satisfaction I discovered Acid Jazz had put out an unreleased album by them and it was silly cheap on Juno so it joined Jacco in my basket.

KPM - Cause for Concern From the same seller as 'Satisfaction' thought I might as well take advantage of the postage so put a bid on this albeit some fiend upped me by a quid in the last second but they lost out or I lost out, its all relative. I should add that this is a 1977 split 'Nick Ingram' and 'Tony Kinsey' album riffing on the well worn library theme of global environmental change. All quite orchestral and pastoral but livens up with some synth mixed in on side 2 actually the flip is pretty great, very atmospheric and avant in places, phew!
    Last edited by amidar; 01-09-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: formatting

'Children of Peace' probably the only good thing on the album and the final track on side B. I'm just listening to my rip of it and as always I feel ashamed liking anything by Bert! Gotta say I love the Tropical late 70's latin one he did too.

thanks, I'll give Bert another spin, only gave it a quick needle drop and it didn't sound promising.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    'Children of Peace' probably the only good thing on the album and the final track on side B. I'm just listening to my rip of it and as always I feel ashamed liking anything by Bert! Gotta say I love the Tropical late 70's latin one he did too.
    just had a quick listen and "Nightcap" is ok too. Think I was probably most annoyed at what they'd done to "Night Train" I ignored the tracks afterwards

just had a quick listen and "Nightcap" is ok too. Think I was probably most annoyed at what they'd done to "Night Train" I ignored the tracks afterwards
    I really like the laid back version of blueberry hill on that Bert circle of sound....
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Just about scraped in the august finds, technically didn't become my possession until this morning, but one of the verygoodplussers must have albums

Was advertised as near mint, the cover is and is still in cellophane but the record as tradition goes is VG+

Quote Originally Posted by Taze;585379
    Blood Sisters "Ring my bell" Given up on finding this in the wild. Great cover of Anita Ward. 10 [url
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4epRpnMakU[/url]
    love this, bought a mint one on ebay for about 3 quid soon after it was reissued by Soul Jazz in 2002(?). Was really surprised to see it, it was cheaper than the reissue 12"!

There's a few other nice soulful tracks on the King & City / Sound City labels like this "Be Thankful..." cover:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ybDS7z-4w

I know its September but I bid on this last week and won it over the Bank Holiday. It was on 99p for ages then suddenly a few hours before I was bid up to about 8 quid. They had forgotten to change the 7 inch postage price too. Still only a tenner which is a good price for a Mint copy and it landed yesterday.

love this, bought a mint one on ebay for about 3 quid soon after it was reissued by Soul Jazz in 2002(?). Was really surprised to see it, it was cheaper than the reissue 12"!

There's a few other nice soulful tracks on the King & City / Sound City labels like this "Be Thankful..." cover:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ybDS7z-4w

Cheers. Yeah i like that too,there,s a 45 but you already know that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    I know its September but I bid on this last week and won it over the Bank Holiday. It was on 99p for ages then suddenly a few hours before I was bid up to about 8 quid. They had forgotten to change the 7 inch postage price too. Still only a tenner which is a good price for a Mint copy and it landed yesterday.

Sorry that It went up to 8 quid mate.... I think I bid on the same auction... Think you will like this very broadcast / soundcarriers .... with extra vibraphone
    Rock on Penderyn

Quote Originally Posted by Taze View Post
    Cheers. Yeah i like that too,there,s a 45 but you already know that :-)
    My copy of Ring My Bell cost three times Bongolia's and I thought I got it at a decent price. I also dig their What About Me / I'd Rather Go Blind 12", if you like their sound. I've been hoping to chance upon the other 12"s in the wild but it's not happened so far, the cover of Be Thankful seems to be in demand.

You Fiend! Only Joking I had a good listen today and the Broadcast vibe hit me straight away, not left the deck which means it will be the next thing on too. Its all relative as I say, the seller even sent it signed for postage he'd have well out of pocket if you hadn't bid me up! Still a good price for a great record which I was expecting to be outbid on to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
    Sorry that It went up to 8 quid mate.... I think I bid on the same auction... Think you will like this very broadcast / soundcarriers .... with extra vibraphone

They've recently repressed their first LP and EP too (D&V). Both of which are just as great.

First LP has been repressed a few times and they've even repressed the GPS single as well I think.

the Vampyr soundtrack is good and not repressed (yet)

Didn't buy that second LP, thought it just sounded too similar to the rest and over-polished maybe, but only checked a couple of soundclips