Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: September 2016 find

Brazilian compilation from 1961. Probably goes for trade.

Cheapo doormat find.

Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend Terrible Name but I liked the sound samples I heard and I'm enjoying the album a lot. Its all recorded by one American bloke in his basement, vocals, instruments, electronics effects etc it all sounds very lo-fi which I like and is swamped in Reverb to probably try and cover this up either that or he loves 'My Bloody Valentine' but that just adds to it's charm because he could easily try and bury his vocals in the mix but he doesn't. Song wise I like it I hear shades of 'Mercury Rev' at their most emotive mixed with 'Neil Young' if that makes sense. Its a lovely piece of outsider art, I say that in a loose sense because looking at his follow up release it seems he was polished up a bit and I much prefer the lo-fi aesthetic of this first release.

Last edited by amidar; 16-09-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    In the post, the reissue of what has been called the most peculiar Swedish record, Leif Andersson - Med Andra Ord.
    "Interesting" sounding release any idea why there's no mention of it Mellotronen's site? I'll have to keep an eye out to see if any copies make it east over the pond. When did it come out?

Some illsickbreakz on that Rusty Harness LP Paul.

I was in a charity yesterday. Guy beside me kept looking over at me as I flicked. Loads of 12s by The Mission, The Cult and the odd LP ie We've Got A Fuzzbox. Stuff I'm not familiar with musically but better than looking through the normal chuff. The guy then picked up his stack of 50+ records and went to pay, a quid each. My heart sank at the thought of what he might have. Only thing I noticed was the Rocky Horror boxset. Oh well...at least I'll not have to deal with the hassle of more records in my house waiting to sell for a fiver or less and convince myself that he'd not got any really good or valuable records.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    "Interesting" sounding release any idea why there's no mention of it Mellotronen's site? I'll have to keep an eye out to see if any copies make it east over the pond. When did it come out?
    PM'd you and eine contact details to Stefan Dimle who runs Mellotronen. I don't know why he hasn't put it up on his site.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Fairly poor pickings today at the local car boot, but it did yield a decent copy of the Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry 1968 LP which I'm sure you're all familiar with, plus the 7-inch haul pictured above:

Calibre Auto Recording - as detailed on the Calibre thread, this was a charming snapshot of a mum with kids I'm guessing from 1968 or so, judging by the brief rendition of Cliff's Congratulations

Burning Bridges/You Gotta Be Mine - Mike Morton Congregation (1970) - I'm a bit of a sucker for this kind of brassy pop, and while the A side is fairly humdrum, the B-side is much better, a beaty groover enhanced by some lovely busy basslines and some parping brass. See below
    (Also spotted a nice Parlophone sleeve - pictured separately - which I'll team up with a Parlophone single)

The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem II EP - If I'm in the right mood then some jolly Irish folk complete with whoops, penny whistle and thick woollen jumpers makes me smile so couldn't resist this. Plenty of craic and Marie's Wedding which I've always liked. Minty too.

Els Tinos - La Troca/Capvespre d'hivern/Les Dotze/Fes, Fes, Cami - This was the find of the day. First, I had to buy it because of the cover. Neon green frilled shirts, silly hats and a rolled umbrella - what's not to like. Worried it might be a dodgy Spanish covers outfit wacking out awful versions of Una Paloma Blanca or whatever was current in 1969, but was pleasantly surprised to find a mix of jazzy lounge pop and bossa nova with a cool edge and a slightly eccentric organ sound. Appears to be their only recording, and the couple on Discogs were priced accordingly. Minty and a keeper.
    Last edited by Mactheruss; 17-09-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Missed something out

Popped into town and found this 'London/Atlantic' licensed mono release. Not my pic and its not on discogs so sorry if I've nicked someones pic, slight bit of cover damage on mine, a slight tear but otherwise Excellent shape:

5 DKR / 1 Euro jazz, latin and like LPs and 7"s from a few country markets today:

quincy jones presents go west man lp
    sister rosetta tharpe: the gospel truth lp
    dizzy gillespie: jambo caribe lp
    ella swings brightly with nelson lp
    lionel hampton: golden vibes lp
    oscar peterson plays the irving berlin songbook lp
    lights! action! prado! lp
    nico gomez: fiesta brasiliana lp
    robert delgado: calypso a la carte lp
    johnny cash: the walls of a prison lp
    percy faith: malaguena lp
    percy faith: the music of brazil lp

brats: b-brains / tyrants: vivian wants to dance 7"
    blue mink: the banner man / mind your business 7"
    dolly: higher and higher / applejack 7"
    grethe sønck, gitte hænning, ulla pia: nullergris 7"
    arenaturist pula yugoslavia 7"

"percy faith: malaguena lp" I like that LP if memory serves.

The VG+ view of Percy seemed pretty funk-centric. But I recall reading that some of his earlier stuff had its moments. Does anyone know their early Percy? If so, care to talk us through it?
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 18-09-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Spelling.

In Paris for a few days now. My first encounter with tear gas!

Sleeveless Esoteric Circle from Porte de Vanves market yesterday. Was mildly tempted by Japo and Enja pieces. Perhaps I should have haggled. But my main aim is to locate mod class goodies.

I think if you go back pre 'singers' style Percy some of it is more of the 'Exotica' variety of which I believe 'Malaguena' is one that follows that vein. Its on my shelves I should dig it out for another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    The VG+ view of Percy seemed pretty funk-centric. But I recall reading that some of his earlier stuff had its moments. Does anyone know their early Percy? If so, care to talk us through it?

Picked up a few more bits just before I went on hols and then did some trading yesterday, with a postbox find or two lobbed in.

Jet Boy stole my baby.

Picked up a few more bits just before I went on hols and then did some trading yesterday, with a postbox find or two lobbed in.

(Whoops! Bloody 'Enter' key)

The above: Tale of two bootlegs. The Bowie one was recommended by a Plusser. It's amazing. Some of Ronson's riffage is pure savagery ('Width of a Circle' for example). The B52s has source material that is definitely edgier and has more energy than what ended up on the debut album, but the sound quality is dubious to say the least. Gustav Brom came from a trade with Gogo (nice one mate!) and the Muskrats was a very reasonably priced bit of Discoggery.

Above: All from Rob's Records. Top left is a jazzy bit of Nigerian high-life. I thought it might be an obscure bit of funky stuff, but no. It's not really my kind of thing, so if anyone wants to relieve me of it, feel free to PM. Ditto the Winter Consort LP, it's a bit too avant garde for me and I had to check to make sure that it wasn't some lost release by Mulligan and O'Hare (released contemporaneously with 'Titty Biscuits'). Baja Marimba Band is mental, but has one of the best versions of 'Eleanor Rigby' ever. Gordon Alexander sounded like a lovely bit of pop-psych, which I'd recommend based on first listen.

Yesterday was a visit to market to do some trading. Not at all convinced by Troll on first listen, but the pedigree is great - never really sure about that synthy library stuff though. The Sheep actually came from Rob's on the same visit as the preceding pic. Some ace Dusty Fingers-esque funky prog moves on here. 'Stormbringer' used up the bulk of my trades credit (it's a pink 'i'), but is also one of those albums that I can't believed I've managed to live this long without owning - fell in love with it immediately (and it's got Levon Helm on it FFS!). I got 'Clouds' purely because I heard 'Chelsea Morning' on the radio on the way back from Ambleside and decided that I couldn't possibly soldier on in life without possessing it.

Some chazza finds from a stop-off in Otley. The Archers is Xian stuff, with one femme vox, groovy folky track (however, this copy is ditched). Ray Ellington was amusing to find, right off the back of finding his other LP a week or so ago. Does anyone need to hear the hits of Bread, played on a harpsichord? Apparently I did. Freebies pile. And a spare of The Disciples.

Back to work tomorrow. Gutted. But I bet I put in a better shift than Wayne fucking Rooney.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Ray Ellington was amusing to find, right off the back of finding his other LP a week or so ago.
    Ray was prolific

!

I love 'Stormbringer' but I absolutely adore 'Road to Ruin' the follow up, if you've never heard you simply must. Not listened to my repress of clouds I picked up yet, saving that for some quiet time. Ha I've never heard that Winter Consort LP is it the follow up to their first and is it live or something?

Why do I always look for the bloke taking a leak on 'Baja Marimba Albums' sure enuff there he is...
    Last edited by amidar; 19-09-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Baja not Baha...

Picked up some 45s from a yard sale, just 50p. Too bad I chose to go the boot fair first, which was dry, because I was beaten for some good ones. Luckily they went to someone who is not big on 45s and who has a pile set aside for me next Saturday when he'll be selling at a neighborhood flea market, so some may go into that pile. And he left some fair ones behind, he's usually not the "scorched earth" kind of digger.

Clean copy of Gimme Some Lovin, maybe a bit MOJO, but I like it.
    Really loved the Four Tops with a Swedish pic sleeve, Levi is absolutely storming through this one, never heard it before.
    German press of For a few dollars more.
    Casey Jones I've never heard. Curious about the take of Legal Matter, and I have to say he is really taking the piss out of it.
    And two Trashmen 45s that I was really happy about, too bad about the sleeve.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I have received a copy of the recent reissue of the Morton Feldman/ Earle Brown LP from the early 60's. I got it for Durations by Feldman (on the strength of a YouTube experience). I had it in mind as a possible end-of-mix track. Probably a bit late for that now, but still a remote possibility.

The instruments on Brown's Hodograph 1 are promising. But my exposure to Brown so far prompts caution. Not easy. The picture of Brown on the sleeve (slight slouch, sunken eyes, tight flat lips) correlates with what I am ready to suppose about the strength of his artistic vision. Complete cobblers that last sentence.

Nice sleeve art. Reminiscent of Massive Attack's Mezzanine.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 19-09-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Cobblers.

I simply cannot be arsed to listen to Morton Feldman (and I listen to plenty) on LP. It's got to be CD. Too much getting up and down to switch sides completely ruins the nature of Feldman's sound-world for me.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by Mactheruss View Post
    Burning Bridges/You Gotta Be Mine - Mike Morton Congregation (1970) - I'm a bit of a sucker for this kind of brassy pop, and while the A side is fairly humdrum, the B-side is much better, a beaty groover enhanced by some lovely busy basslines and some parping brass.
    As I remember the Mike Morton version completely fluffs the crisp intro and outro breaks of the original 'Burning Bridges'.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactheruss View Post
    Burning Bridges/You Gotta Be Mine - Mike Morton Congregation (1970) - I'm a bit of a sucker for this kind of brassy pop, and while the A side is fairly humdrum, the B-side is much better, a beaty groover enhanced by some lovely busy basslines and some parping brass.
    As I remember the Mike Morton version completely fluffs the crisp intro and outro breaks of the original 'Burning Bridges'.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

been on holiday for a couple of weeks hoping to find some new chazza shop finds, finding absolutely bugger all for two weeks
    lucky for me I had these in the post when I got home, all discog purchases

some bits I picked up at the fair yesterday and at the car boot in the morning

An odd live LP, kinda Bonzo's lite from '79 with sleeve notes by Jim Davidson,
    I assume the last track on it Robert E. Lee is not the same fella name checked on Roxy Music's Virginia Plain but it might be!

Medi-Evil filth from Geoff Scarr "the immoral bard of Hull" according the rear, phwoar etc.

Some gay folk singing erm Gay Folk, on Folkways (unfortunately not Gay Folkways)

the two albums below were in the same £1 box

I already have another copy of this Japanese Linear Tracking picture disc which also has a proper card sleeve.

Set of 3 Open University pre-school discs from '77 - disc 2: Making Music is the best of the bunch

Best buy at the car boot was a whole box of 60's 7"s which I leisurely picked from as no-one there was interested in the records
    he said he wanted 25p each but I was happy to push 30 notes in his hand, I left dozens of Cliff singles but bagged the EP's and
    they are all in beautiful condition!

The record fair turned up this curious 78rpm, I'll probably stick it up on ebay or summat....

Library haul. 28 lps on chappell and de wolfe released 1957-1980.
    Titles inclide Brass and rhythms, Rhythm n brass, Backing tracks, Traces, Today's world, Meeting point, Great feeling, Silver parallel, Highwires.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I simply cannot be arsed to listen to Morton Feldman (and I listen to plenty) on LP. It's got to be CD. Too much getting up and down to switch sides completely ruins the nature of Feldman's sound-world for me.
    Sound quality issues too? This track looks to be a one-sider (10 mins or so on YouTube). I have yet to open it.

There certainly are some crazy 'Folkways' records. Have you listened to the curious Blues cover on 78 HG?

Cor an original 78 from Robert Johnson's Sheffield years. He sold his soul to the devil on Snake Pass before touring the music halls of the North West teaching stage comedian George Formby the rudiments of flat picking and changing the course of World War 2 in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Library haul. 28 lps on chappell and de wolfe released 1957-1980.
    Titles inclide Brass and rhythms, Rhythm n brass, Backing tracks, Traces, Today's world, Meeting point, Great feeling, Silver parallel, Highwires.
    Nice. Pics or it never happened
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Sound quality issues too? This track looks to be a one-sider (10 mins or so on YouTube). I have yet to open it.
    Yes, sound as well. I can't have the sound of a fry-up ruining my at oneness with the scrapings of the violinist.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    There certainly are some crazy 'Folkways' records. Have you listened to the curious Blues cover on 78 HG?
    yeah, it's some old fella wailing away with a guitar, I may bin it to be honest