Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Find in terms of Music and Enjoyment of 2016 so far...

Default Best Find in terms of Music and Enjoyment of 2016 so far...

Probably inspired by the other threads going on at the moment but what is your favourite purchase/find/freebie of the year so far. Preferably I'd like these to be a blind punt but checking out some sound samples first still counts as a punt I reckon. For me its this:

Vanishing Breed - Between Arrival and Departure

A wonderful mix of folk and electronics with a bit of afrobeat thrown in for good measure from 2005 on a German label made by a British man. Its not dancing around your handbags music but it's hardly been off my stereo since it arrived. I bought it partly blind as I could find few sound samples just a few seconds of piano so I had no idea what to expect but its superb and brings a tear to my eye. I bought as part of a deal on ebay but its the first thing I've heard in a while which has instantly struck a chord and made me want to play it again so soon afterwards.

It has a 'Morr Records' vibe which is understandable as there is a connection there.

So what are everybody's fave unexpected musical finds this year so far?
    Last edited by amidar; 04-09-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: missing pic.

Default ....

Too many to recall I suspect, but I was well chuffed to pick up a VG but playable copy of this mod mover in my home town a couple of weeks ago for £2. Didn't know it but took a chance on the interesting group. It's not all about the £££, as the song goes ...

Nice! Well apart from new or recent records my chosen record had been the first second hand punt that really got under my skin. I'd put up a vid or link but cant find one anymore. That's probably a good thing as I know exactly what track will go on to an end of year swap if/when it happens and I have the time to get involved...! I know I will I'm a glutton for torturous musical projects when given the opportunity and a nudge.

There are soooooooo many but a couple of blind punts were...

Picked up GATTCH in a charity shop for a quid - great 70s Slovakian prog. No idea what it was, but it looked the part, and it is the part.

80s rocker from Gary Myrick on the Language mini album - Guitar, Talk, Love and Drums - hits the spot for me with some synth drum pounding, squawky-distorty rawk guitar and a bit of overdubbed vocal lines action:

So anyone with anymore or are they keeping them under their hat for the end of year swap?

Probably Johnny Rivers 'Whisky A Go Go Revisited'. I like Johnny Rivers but he has a large and uneven oeuvre (matron) so I'm not up with all of it. I added the LP to an order because it was cheap and I've been playing 'John Lee Hooker' ever since- a bit like you did when you were a kid, and you'd just got 'Life On Mars', and you'd play it again, and again, and again. I like live records and I like it when people stretch out and this really stretches out. Costs next to nothing.

As for new records Susan Alcorn's 'Evening Tales'. I've got nothing else of hers but I kept hearing her name and got it into my head I'd like to buy one of her records... so I did. It's great. Pedal Steel, The LP is not on You Tube but here's something else of hers.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Nice, Its exactly like the record I started the thread with that feeling of just wanting to play a track over and over. To be honest I've been playing side 1 over and over again just for one track! I rarely get that feeling these days, well not as often as when I was youngster so when I do its something to savor but its always in the back of your head that you don't want to rinse it to death!

I'd put up a soundclip but I cant find any and it will probably be the opening track on my swap cd as it takes begins to take form.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Nice, Its exactly like the record I started the thread with that feeling of just wanting to play a track over and over.
    Yes, and the beauty of it is it, effectively, plays itself over and over saving me the bother.

a fine five

Minor Victories : Minor Victories

Loose Meat : Loose Meat

Ezra Furman : Big Fugitive Life

Africaine 808 : Basar

Kaitlyn A. Smith & Suzanne Ciani : Sunergy

This is easily the best thing I've found all year and on of the best things I've ever found, certainly the best PP at any rate.

Funky prog with phased flutes and guitar wig outs a plenty. Also some quieter moments and gets a bit jazzy at points. Barely any info or indeed hits at all on the internet. I'm surprised that it isn't better known or talked about as it really is very good.

This clip IS on youtube though:

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    I've got one of these lurking somewhere - must dig it out & give it another go. I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but I think my copy was not in the best of health so may not have appreciated its finer points. Thanks for the nudge!

That sounds pretty cool, I thought late 70's at first listen but I'm not so sure now I'll put my neck on the line and say 1975! Great find you would expect something celtic or new age going off the cover. Although the title has something of the NWOBHM about it, it's defo on my radar now if you pardon the pun.

It also has the look of an early 80's library record about it!

I like that Loose Meat tune HG, something about it.

I've bought so many good records this year. The two that have given me the most pleasure are on 45. This:

and this:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Interesting to hear that version because I'm only familiar with the version by Anita O'Day with Gary Mc Farland Orchestra which has been a long time favourite of mine. The whole LP is great, and infused with a wonderful melancholy- like a 2 am walk down a dark city street in gently drizzling rain (probably in late September/Early October). Anyone who'd like something to listen to on a Sunday evening when they're all breaked-out from their funky 7"s could do worse than slip this onto the turntable and pour out a small whisky-drink sensibly kids.

Great choice - my 19 year old is obsessed with this song so been hearing it a lot over the summer & it never gets stale.

I can think of 3 45s that spring to mind as they were copped at the same time. They were from a record shop with about 6,000 ish 45s at a quid each or 15 for a tenner. Sick of buying blind punts that are rubbish I took the ion portable. I still give thanks to this portable as its so light to carry and saved me a fortune. I was in there about 3 hours and played anything that i didn,t know that looked interesting and spent 12 quid in total (17-45s)

Bliss "De blissful" KR uk 45
    At first glance this looks like you have flipped past another copy of Pluto "Your Honour" or that "Saddle up" pop dirge as its on the same label. This is the b side, I recognized it straight away as a cover version, but could not guess it for about 10 mins. I was going off on tangents thinking it was a 60s pop or a soul cover. Its actually an instrumental cover version of Bob Marley "Kaya" with a tinkling piano over the top. Never looked this up, but is it an original Marley rhythm? or did he borrow it from elsewhere? I couldn,t find a soundclip on you tube. If you like reggae 45s and cover versions, there is 2 here at 3.99 and a fiver.
    https://www.discogs.com/Bliss-Just-O...elease/5340180

Seconds of pleasure "Pull me up" uk 45
    If I worked for Recordkings this would get hyped as- Mouth organ breaks femme vox :-)
    Sounds a bit like/but not really - someone gives Portishead a mouth organ and tells them to make a commercial track with it.
    Its new to me and I liked it anyway. I couldn,t find the shorter 45 soundclip which is better than the 12" but here,s a soundclip of the 12"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPsf9OjsDU

There,s a few foreign 45s I play that are rubbish but this one is decent.
    Selamiah Tinggal Salamiah Hassan Malaysian 4 track ep pic cover
    One ok track, but the best one is a short track 1min 40 secs long.
    "Jangan Peri Lagi" Decent funky/soul ish track thats bugging me as it sounds like a cover version of a soul track that I know but can,t put my finger on, does anybody have it or know what it is?
    Cheers

I'm still loving that Lancashire Hustlers LP that someone on here was involved in.

And the Anderson Paak LP has had lots of play too.

WF

Yeah I bought 'The Lancashire Hustlers' album as well its had a few plays, I'd forgotten about it might dig it out for later its a bloody good listen.

Re: The 'St Louis' track because I put the Chubby Checker duet version with Dee Dee Sharp on my swap CD last year that version is now burned in my brain. No YouTube clip unfortunately of that particular song but the album has a lot of studio banter in between songs which made it great as a transition which was half of the reason as to why I put it on but then it just grew on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Interesting to hear that version because I'm only familiar with the version by Anita O'Day with Gary Mc Farland Orchestra which has been a long time favourite of mine. The whole LP is great, and infused with a wonderful melancholy- like a 2 am walk down a dark city street in gently drizzling rain (probably in late September/Early October). Anyone who'd like something to listen to on a Sunday evening when they're all breaked-out from their funky 7"s could do worse than slip this onto the turntable and pour out a small whisky-drink sensibly kids.

Nice take on Señor Blues on that LP.

Keep playing this, may not be to some tastes but I love it.

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    Great choice - my 19 year old is obsessed with this song so been hearing it a lot over the summer & it never gets stale.
    I don't think it's quite this year, but I got the Elis Regina cut Aguas De Março with Bala Com Bala on the flip. Then I managed to get the Sergio Mendes take on 45 (which is nice but a bit smooth). I thought I would never get the Jobim US promo...

Lovely version. I think we've been here before on this forum. I got obsessed with this song this year and have bought tonnes of it! 'You Came A Long Way From St Louis', 'Peter Gunn' and 'Tintarella De Luna' sum this year up for me. I'm moving into 'Sixteen Tonnes'. This drag queen in mufti impression of Della Reece cracks me up:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondays Child View Post
    Keep playing this, may not be to some tastes but I love it.

I like that. Looks like a download only job.

Lovely version. I think we've been here before on this forum. I got obsessed with this song this year and have bought tonnes of it! 'You Came A Long Way From St Louis', 'Peter Gunn' and 'Tintarella De Luna' sum this year up for me. I'm moving into 'Sixteen Tonnes'. This drag queen in mufti impression of Della Reece cracks me up:
    I should look up some other versions but the Anita O Day one is kind of imprinted now- I've had it about 35 years. Good luck with sixteen tonnes. Difficult to screw that up so they should all be good. I like that Noriel Viela one. I didn't realise Mr Bongo had reissued it and there was I thinking I couldn't afford it.

I like that. Looks like a download only job.
    Yeah it is which is a shame. I got the WAV files from Julia Kwamya (singer/writer) and would have loved to have seen a seven inch of this and the equally great 'Wonder How'.
    The only two tracks they ever 'released' I think, produced by Kurt Feldman who was in Pains Of Being Pure At Heart or something.
    Beautiful stuff. Glad you like it!

Forgot to include one more track that has given me a lot of joy so far this year, complete opposite of the Germans tracks though.....

Bad Nerves -

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Kind of by association. While in an Edinburgh record shop recently, LDJB pulled an lp out of the racks neither of us had seen before, Ray King Soul band Live at the Playboy Club. I think he would have bought it anyway, but my enthusiastic encouragement may have helped a smidge. Bagged one myself since then. Full on "clubby" chunky bass, wailing Hammond, really tight band and top vocals too. Probably the best live lp I have in my collection. Came out on Direction in the UK, mine is on US 360degree CBS.

There's a top, mental version of Shotgun on there too.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I've bought so many good records this year. The two that have given me the most pleasure are on 45. This:

]
    I had no idea Jobim did an English version.
    You've checked Mark Murphy and the 1973 Joao Gilberto version, right, Eine?

Jose Guardiola does 16 tons and Tintarella de Luna on one Spanish ep, and chucks in a fairly tame version of Mustapha, too.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Been reading about the 'Ray King Band' it caught my interest when you posted it in the finds thread. Seems they were from Coventry and your'e right they are tight and not a hint of fromage about them or going through the motions. Might have to bag myself a copy of that.
    Last edited by amidar; 26-09-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: motions not 'mot', would be strange that.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I had no idea Jobim did an English version.
    On the single I have it's Portuguese on one side English on the other. I think I prefer the Portuguese, but the lyrics are amazing and lyrics rarely 'matter' to me.

You've checked Mark Murphy and the 1973 Joao Gilberto version, right, Eine?
    Nope—listening now. Interested in any more too anyone?

Jose Guardiola does 16 tons and Tintarella de Luna on one Spanish ep, and chucks in a fairly tame version of Mustapha, too.
    Got this. The version of Mustapha is tame!

Lovely version. I think we've been here before on this forum. I got obsessed with this song this year and have bought tonnes of it! 'You Came A Long Way From St Louis',
    I should look up some other versions but the Anita O Day one is kind of imprinted now- I've had it about 35 years.
    We have indeed been here before Eine - did you get the Mae Barnes version?

SK - maybe it might tempt you away from Anita's mighty fine version