Thread: Vintage TV tech

Default Vintage TV tech

My partner just sent loads of boxes from her mum's house. While unpacking them I discovered an early 80s Tummy Television.

She says she even used to watch it on her tummy. It's very charming but I've no idea WTF we're going to do with it.

According to her mum they also bought a black and white TV "coloriser" off a street hawker - basically a plastic screen cover tinted in blue, red and green which sometimes even worked with outdoor scenes and football matches.

I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post

According to her mum they also bought a black and white TV "coloriser" off a street hawker - basically a plastic screen cover tinted in blue, red and green which sometimes even worked with outdoor scenes and football matches.

We had one of these when I was a lad and used it briefly before it ended up in the bin - we may have even watched an episode of "Star Trek" through one - as we didn't get a colour TV in our house until 1971.

The old space invader machines had these colour things. You'd have a green screen monitor with a strip at the top for the flying saucer that flew across and nearer the bottom as the aliens descended and got faster so they changed colour.

Lot of people collect old tech your tummy TV might be worth a few quid, you never know.
    Last edited by amidar; 30-09-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Can I be the first to make the 'navel gazing' joke?

Thankyou.

You will still be able to use your 'tummy tv' if you get a DTT/Freeview (TDT in spansh) box with an RF Modulator! Might mean a few cables trailing over ya belly though, if you use it as the ad suggests!

I have a very similar one, takes about 10 batteries!
    you can see it used in this pic of an installation I did to commemorate the analogue shutdown a while ago. top left of pic
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

You will still be able to use your 'tummy tv' if you get a DTT/Freeview (TDT in spansh) box with an RF Modulator! Might mean a few cables trailing over ya belly though, if you use it as the ad suggests!

I have a very similar one, takes about 10 batteries!
    you can see it used in this pic of an installation I did to commemorate the analogue shutdown a while ago. top left of pic
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"