Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 Finds

Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Cute.
    No, this is cute.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Cute - "Clever, shrewd; ingenious; attractive, quaint" [The Concise Oxford Dictionary, 6th edition, 10th impression, 1980].
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 07-10-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Punct

Cutie - "Attractive young woman".

Cuticle - "Epidermis or other superficial skin; dead skin at base of finger-nail or toe-nail; (Bot.) thin surface film on plants".
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 07-10-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: "

Cutie - "Attractive young woman".

Cuticle - "Epidermis or other superficial skin; dead skin at base of finger-nail or toe-nail; (Bot.) thin surface film on plants".

I'm tempted to post the definition of "cutlet". But I think that I will just retire for the night.

Q-Tip- 'Paul Young'
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

It's nearly the end of the booting season but some odd things are still cropping up in fields like this lovely 10"
    private pressing still in it's original mailer from 1961 which I had never seen or heard of before this morning.

There is a UK version of this compilation recorded by Alan Lomax on Topic but this is the US
    issue on Caedmon, it has some great tunes including the classic Cruising Round Yarmouth

In the same 1 box as the SoS album above were these poetry & song compilations released on Argo in 1968

The only 7" I picked up this morning was this pretty pervy Glam groover from '73, it shoulda/coulda been a hit!
    There is no Youtube available so if you wish to hear it download it here
    the B side Action Man is an early Giorgio Moroder writing/production credit.

An amusing 50p addition to my football records collection, Denis Law pictured top left poses like a pro!

that all important tracklisting in full

I nearly left this as it looked a bit tatty but the vinyl was excellent and it turns out to be a fine find.

Nice finds especially the Argo HG. Is there any indication as to who the musicians are on the Renzo Fraiese record?

I thought I'd write them down but there are so many I had to take a pic!

Large ones
    Infinity - Collected Works 1969-70. Acme release of previously unissued recordings. Some top notch stuff on here. Quite a pedigree, ex members of The Flies and Cymbaline, why some of the tunes on here didn't get a release at the time is beyond me. 3 of the songs have instrumental takes included.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EI86Vepego

Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia - Hooteroll? I was going to pick up the 45 of South Side Strut, but it's such a tune I thought I'd bag the longer version on the lp for half the price of the 45. Classic JG SF style guitar leads, with cool Hammond from Howard Wales.

Little ones

Slam's - We are happy people / Hold it baby. Same b side as the release by Slam Creepers, but cheaper to pick up. Hold it baby is a cracking tune, with tight drums, Hammond, fat brass and a great descending hook.

Tommy Brown - Rock'n'roll man / let my music play.1975 EMI.
    Let my music play is a great tune, with a Southern touch. Should be cheap to pick up (mine was). Couldn't find a soundclip.

The Baroques - Iowa a girls name / Mary Jane. Top 2 sider. Already have the lp, but having the 45 under my nose proved too great a temptation. Amazed (but glad) that Chess put this out really. It was '67 I suppose.

The Exception - Jack Rabbit / Keep the motor running. Love Jack Rabbit, psych-pop with a Syd style, wonky, slinky short guitar break. 1st tune on their lp. Nowhere near The Eagle Flies on Friday, but good in it's own way. Italian Juke box issue.

Greatest Show on earth - Horizons Pt 1 & Pt 2. Mexican 33/1/3 release of this extraordinary single. Split over 2 sides, side one has a monster drum solo, so I prefer side 2 where things get cooking a bit. I really like this short
    excerpt from a foreign TV broadcast. Check those moves on the dancefloor. I think that's all the rage again isn't it

Soft Boys - Near the Soft Boys ep. Plugged a hole in the Soft boys collection. A side is on Underwater Moonlight, both tracks on the flip are non lp. Syds' Vegetable Man gets a worthy cover, Strange is one of my favourite RH tunes. For years, the shadow of Syd Barrett hung over his work, this tune is bubbling full of SB atmosphere, dark and spangly like a cracked, starry sky.

Anton Barbeau - Psychedelicmindofmoses ep. Title side features Nick saloman, and is pretty good, but flip it over for where the real action is. A Robyn Hitchcock cover and this killer cover of a Juian Cope tune, which had me grinning. Only a segment in this clip, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by treeboy; 08-10-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Cheers HG, some research there as that rhythm section on that YouTube clip was pretty mind-blowing.

no worries, it's got some great tracks on it, a couple of duffers but mostly good

I've had to rein it in a bit lately as the vast majority of my vinyl budget (and then some) went on Kraftwerk tickets. Kraftwerk? In Nottingham? Seriously? Fuck it, I'm in. However, don't know if anyone else noticed how Kraftwerk's dates led very nicely into a certain music festival that takes place in the month of June?

Anyway, still managing to scratch the vinyl itch, just not quite as ostentatiously as I'd like.

These all came from the same charity shop (“We’ve got some more out the back”), bit ‘meh’ really and have all gone in the ‘market’ pile. Looked the part and some as on Transatlantic, but pretty standard mid-70s MOR folk-rock stuff.

Top two were random chazza punts, neither of which are up to much – both in my various ‘out’ piles.

I know this doesn’t seem to be going too well so far, but it does pick up a bit!

Bottom two were from a charity shop in Retford (North Notts). Never had the Dankworth before, so that’s been added to the burgeoning back catalogue. Sounded nice on first listen.

Two more from Retford charity shops on the right: the Fania All-Stars has a great first side – proper latin funk jams (side two is a little tepid for me) and the Pete Winslow is a new one to me, such an archetypal VV / VG+ album, with fromage and grooves and wordless vocals from Sylvia King. Top stuff. Timber is dodgy country rock and has gone straight in an ‘out’ pile and Cindy and Roy has an interesting disco-fied version of ‘I Wanna Testify’.

Wayne Cochran was a cheapie from Rob’s Records – white boy (well, ageing geezer) funk in abundance, just a shame his vocals sound like he’s seeking a hernia. The LITA reissue of The Monks was off a market stall in Sutton in Ashfield which has probably been there ages, but I never noticed before (loads of limited issue releases and Finders Keepers type stuff) and was a decent price, so used the spare change that was burning a hole in my pocket. Yet another (spare) Chico Lopez from a chazza and I think the (spare) Donovan songbook (featuring a ‘Barabajagal’ that bears little or no resemblance to the original) was from Anarchy.

I hit Rob’s 1 sections pretty hard recently, with very mixed results. Billy Hygate is your common or garden WMS which has the almost obligatory break on it (‘Land of 1000 Dances’ – where Billy goes on a wander into the audience while the drummer locks it down) and a couple of other sleazy funk moments IIRC. The Nativity comp on Reflection is one of my favourite finds of the year – some proper acid folk tunes and well in time for Christmas – if you see it around, do not hesitate. Some mixtape friendly nursery rhymes (coming to a freebies selection near you soon) and some more Wicker Man / acid folk / hauntology on the Junior Music LP (already rehomed).

Top two from Rob’s 1 boxes – both spares. ABC 12” added to my collection of 80s 12”s and Grace Jones was a welcome charity find – can’t mess with ‘Warm Leatherette’.

Still loving my rock and riffs. AC/DC was from Rob’s and wasn’t 1, but it’s just awesome. Cult and GNR for me, Killing Joke for my mate. All great though. More of this kind of stuff please!

Last few cheapies. Blue Mink from the 1 boxes, spare Samantha Jones from a chazza (will also be in the freebies post, which I’ll hopefully get round to tomorrow). Strange Argo folky thing with a couple of passable tunes from Rick off Fingerbobs – haven’t made my mind up whether this stays or goes yet. And the bottom right is another WMS cabaret band thing that I picked up this morning while out and about, trying and failing not to spend any money. It’s got some very nifty versions of ‘The Sweeney’, ‘Get Ready’ and ‘Love Me’ - not a bad use of 99p.

And now the focus shifts to 09.00 tomorrow.......................................... ..................fingers crossed.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

The Renzo Fraiese is a great find indeed, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    The Renzo Fraiese is a great find indeed, nice.
    I had this one a few years ago but sold it as I aleady had 12 Engle Street and didn't realy feel the rest of the album. Looking on discogs it seems to be going up in value and on a fair few peoples wants list.

Sorry for the photo dump. Put a bunch of stuff behind the counter at the new local digging spot, including a job lot of Sir Douglas/Doug Sahm, Spirit, 80s Nascimento, and a few random African things. going back for some dub and Laurie Anderson next payday.

[QUOTE=treeboy;587225]

Tommy Brown - Rock'n'roll man / let my music play.1975 EMI.
    Let my music play is a great tune, with a Southern touch. Should be cheap to pick up (mine was). Couldn't find a soundclip.

I have this 7" and it's the same Tommy Brown under disguise. Slightly different title though...

That's pretty cool CM. It's not the same tune as the one on the 45 I have. I'm not sure if that's what you were saying or not. Wish I could find a clip.

Yeah i really thought it was the same track. Released in 1974 on H.Production.
    H is for Johnny Hallyday!

The elements are pretty similar, sounds like the same backing singers. The one I've got was recorded 2-10-74 according to the label, but released in '75. Possibly same session?

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post

Blimey TB - you've set off an attack of vertigo...

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlim View Post
    Blimey TB - you've set off an attack of vertigo...

I like it, Been meaning to commend you on it.

G

I had them on the floor and the sun kept reflecting off the sleeves making them unreadable, so I took the photo from the other end and turned it the right way up when I saved it on the laptop. A happy accident, not intentional. Sorry for any queasiness, I'm sure it will pass

Joblessness has meant that I've had a bit more time to hit the charity shops of late. I spent last Thursday cycling round west London but this Saskwatch LP was the only thing I found that was worth buying. I'd never heard of them but the LP's a keeper. Daptone-esque. This is the best tune to my ears.

To make up for the lack of charity shop action I've been checking out some of the central(ish) London car boot sales. The weekend before last I returned to an old favourite, the Battersea car boot. Didn't find sh!t, but did manage to lose the missus in there. Which wasn't good as I had the buggy, baby and her phone in one of the many bags.

Last Sunday I tried the Nine Elms market/car boot. A great place to buy stolen goods (I suspect) but pretty terrible for records.

I popped over the river to Pimlico and actually found some decent (and well priced) vinyl. The below cost just over a tenner.

Steve Hillage - Quite nice. Added to my Halpern section
    Patrice Rushen - Haven't you Heard is a dancefloor-friendly cheapie
    HMS Donovan - was after this anyway. Massively disappointing. Not my cuppa.
    Steppin Out - looked interesting but is mediocre reggae
    Vic Lewis - blimin loving this! Ridiculously OTT classical takes on Beatles tunes.
    The Breaks comp - all killer no filler comp selected by DJ Pogo
    CSN - spare. Am a sucker for some of this slightly cheesy late CSN business. Dark Star and Cathedral have both had me singing along.

I continued my car boot experimentation at Wimbledon this morning. A competitive affair: probably not surprising considering that it's a weekday so more people were buying and selling to make money rather than just clearing the loft.

Not that much vinyl. I got the El Pea compilation, Los Dourados, a Direct Drive/First Light best of and some candlesticks for a friend.

One guy had two boxes (25 in each) of mint copies of this Kenyan 7":

https://www.discogs.com/Metric-Jazz-...elease/4746063

Alas, he wouldn't sell me one copy individually and I didn't really have the dough for a box.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    I had this one a few years ago but sold it as I aleady had 12 Engle Street and didn't realy feel the rest of the album. Looking on discogs it seems to be going up in value and on a fair few peoples wants list.
    In case anyone likes 12 Engle Street and have been put off by the silly prices people are asking for the white label 12" and single e.g.
    https://www.discogs.com/Renzo-Fraies...elease/2090802
    https://www.discogs.com/Renzo-Fraies.../master/761295

It can be picked up for buttons (with a little bit of patience) on here:
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Untitled/release/206316
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Steve Hillage's finest hour in my opinion Willy, superb bit of ambient music.