Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jude View Post
    In case anyone likes 12 Engle Street and have been put off by the silly prices ...

It can be picked up for buttons (with a little bit of patience) on here:
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Untitled/release/206316
    This is the one I have. I was slowly getting around to post this link but you beat me to it. Remember Rinder & Lewis Blue Steel being great too. Must dig it out and reaccquaint myself with the other tracks which I suspect I will now appreciate much more now.

That Saskwatch track is choice. Any instros on the LP?

It can't be long before someone puts together a monster 'by and inspired by Daptone' comp. For all I know there are mixes out there already.

Only a couple as had to really cut back and been unable to get out to many charity shops. George sent me an extra with his freebies which made me grin. Never come across this in the wild so maybe not many made it ooop north. Marble Arch collection of Seventies LWT TV Themes worth it for 'On the Buses' alone. :

Had to make a special trip into the city so went into HMV who had a sale on vinyl which basically meant they had a few 140 gm reissues for sale at 12.99 or under so hardly a sale so treated myself to the new 'Divine Comedy' album which I forgot was out. The Deluxe CD comes with an extra disk of music sadly they haven't done that with the vinyl issue but maybe the download code will give me access to it, probably not I wager. Happy to report it's all strings blazing great but then I love anything Neil Hannon does its also beautifully orchestrated if you like that sort of thing. :

EDIT: I used that download thingy and all you get is the main album in MP3 format at 160k really bad form. All that instrumentation a digital mush, really takes the Michael when sites such as bandcamp will only let you upload in WAVE format or FLAC. Is this common practice?

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post

The Mating Machine was a sitcom about "computer dating" apparently. You can imagine the hilarity.

I was hoping Casting Around might have been an angling-related sitcom, but no:

A series of seven programmes about fishing, designed for both the novice and the expert fisherman. The fish dealt with in the series include barbel. perch, conger, carp, tench, trout, chub and pike.

the mid-series diversion to heavy duty sea fishing seems rather strange. I'd have done grayling or roach.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Sounds riveting! There are quite a few shows on there I have no recollection of no doubt a few years before my time and never re-run. In fact 'Hark at Barker', 'Please Sir!', 'On the Buses', 'Doctor in the House' and 'Catweazle' are the only ones I've seen from a track list of 15, all taken from various library LP's I expect.

'Big Brother' sounds interesting. From IMDB: 'A series of plays which examine if 1970s society is heading towards the dystopian world predicted in the book '1984'.' first shown in 1970. Never heard tell of it anyone seen it? Quite a jolly theme tune seemingly at odds with the subject matter as it goes. They'd have been much better swapping it for the dark synth of 'Tales of Unease' which is great. A 'George Martin' track as I just noticed it gives the original track titles and credits on the inner.
    Last edited by amidar; 13-10-2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Big Brother.

Sounds riveting! There are quite a few shows on there I have no recollection of no doubt a few years before my time and never re-run. In fact 'Hark at Barker', 'Please Sir!', 'On the Buses', 'Doctor in the House' and 'Catweazle' are the only ones I've seen from a track list of 15, all taken from various library LP's I expect.

'Big Brother' sounds interesting. From IMDB: 'A series of plays which examine if 1970s society is heading towards the dystopian world predicted in the book '1984'.' first shown in 1970. Never heard tell of it anyone seen it?
    Nice one M, Really glad this is getting such good mileage over your way.

G

Thanks Again George, think I might have to put 'Tales of Unease' on my swap somewhere if its not been used already.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    The Mating Machine was a sitcom about "computer dating" apparently. You can imagine the hilarity.

I was hoping Casting Around might have been an angling-related sitcom, but no:

A series of seven programmes about fishing, designed for both the novice and the expert fisherman. The fish dealt with in the series include barbel. perch, conger, carp, tench, trout, chub and pike.

the mid-series diversion to heavy duty sea fishing seems rather strange. I'd have done grayling or roach.
    Do you remember the Fishing Race BC? I was quite young but remember it pretty well. It was about some bloke having a contest to see who could catch the biggest variety of fish across the Uk. I remember the opening titles had somebody dynamite fishing and I recall a bit when one guy broke into some gardens to catch exotic fish like koi Carp and then like.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    That Saskwatch track is choice. Any instros on the LP?

It can't be long before someone puts together a monster 'by and inspired by Daptone' comp. For all I know there are mixes out there already.
    Yes, there's an instrumental of Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams' duet - Kids. Bit of a head-scratcher that one and probably the low point of the LP tbh.

Can't remember if there are any others and I'm currently having a Van Morrison morning so Saskwatch is now in the racks.

WF

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Do you remember the Fishing Race BC? I was quite young but remember it pretty well. It was about some bloke having a contest to see who could catch the biggest variety of fish across the Uk. I remember the opening titles had somebody dynamite fishing and I recall a bit when one guy broke into some gardens to catch exotic fish like koi Carp and then like.
    I don´t remember that at all, which is strange because it sounds like I'd have loved it.
    It was screened in summer 1976, which means I don´t even have the excuse that I was out fishing. The canal dried up that summer.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

'Hark at Barker'.
    I had forgotten all about this programme!

I picked up some lovely records at the boot this morning (pics in recent finds thread soon) and this one is very unusual.
    No date on it but it could be 60's, it would have only been available via a stall by the cliffs and came with inserts for a book.
    If anyone knows more or has been there please share, I have posted it onto the Minack Theatre FB page as it's still very popular,
    although I had not heard of it before.

The Minack is amazing if you like a bit of open-air theatre. With Porthcurno beach right alongside (seen Basking shark down there in the past) it's nice to spend the day down there in the summer and then do an evening performance at the theatre as the sun goes down.

If you do visit take cushions and blankets to pad out the seating which is carved out of the cliffs and most people take picnics and wine or other drinks for the intermission.

There, done my bit for the Cornwall tourist board.

A morning's general indulgence was interrupted by vinyl-oriented indulgence yesterday when my companions found something of interest in a vintage shop nearby where we were. Suddenly I found myself not having to be sociable. With one bound I was into another nearby shop that I knew had records. Generally either crud or overpriced, but still.

Hence Don here for $4. Ex-/VG+. The vinyl looks old but plays well, only one small scratch, barely audible.

[IMG][/IMG]

What I have heard of Don's later big band work hasn't stirred me. I had a Rip of "Haiku" once - I wonder if that that would appeal more now. I passed on a cheap copy once; how annoying.

Anyway, this is more my speed. Paul Bley! Gary Peacock! GP in particular. Great bass on Carla Bley's "Donkey". If I am reading the liner notes correctly, he contributes significantly to the 'African' perc sound on "Ostinato".

To give Don his due, his composition "Form" reminds me of the sort of thing Mingus was doing two years later.

Almost certainly a keeper, although I will entertain offers.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 16-10-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Adding text

Nice find Funk, a rather young dapper looking Don on there. I have 'Out of Nowhere' from 1961 with Paul Bley and Steve Swallow. A CD reissue of dubious origin but its as good if not better than any of his big band efforts. I know he's quite well known but I don't think he gets the respect he deserves sometimes. He was always experimenting with odd arrangements and crazy time signatures and I love that type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post

Never seen that Lp - and I need that shirt!

A slightly blurry find from early in the month.

Franz Scheurer and Murray Hinder - From a Distance. Interesting private-press folk from a record store in Hobart - my folk music quest continues. Not that the recording or playing is anything to write home about - acoustic duos on dusty-sounding two-track, with some nice and very Australian harmony singing - but the songwriting is all originals and has the odd lyrical or structural turn which makes the ear perk up.

This is well exemplified by the opening track, which fortunately is on Youtube.

Finally found this. Am on a little electro/bass binge lately.

I was pleased to see the woman with the unusual singles turn up at Holcot car boot, for the last time this year she said.
    I had my pick of the 7"s and even bought a couple of LP's off her, in fact 95% of these came from her 50p boxes.

early 80's promo re-issue

There was a whole load of EP's by The Beatles & The Stones but this was the best of the bunch

some of the odder singles I had not come across before

as well as the EP's there were a lot of other Stones singles

I'm always happy to pick up a flexi I don't already have and this was one of them.

I have several US/UK vinyl space records but this was the first Russian one I had come across before,
    it's a 7" in an 8" wide sleeve and was released to celebrate Yuri Gagarin's flight into space.

Along with some Medicine Head and Earth Band albums this soundtrack from 1972 was the best find.

Excellent finds HG. Any idea where she's getting all these odd records from?

her husband, she said

a rip of one side of the Yuri Gagarin 7" : download

Cheers HG I'll use that in something for a lark! Great find on the Morricone soundtrack too.

Did a record fair on Sunday and finished spending half the money I made in those singles

Now I own 1/3 of Man Or Astroman? 7"s output... It´s difficult to catch up with this band, they were so prolific...
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Nice, Carlitos! Least it was only half the money! Forgot the fair was on, meant to pop down.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Nice, Carlitos! Least it was only half the money! Forgot the fair was on, meant to pop down.
    It was really dead, very few people around. Still managed to have some great musical conversations with some of the punters. It wasn´t very profitable but it had some very enjoyable moments.

Probably I will do the next one too, it was 25 quid per table and I managed to get all my spares and out pile (2 boxes of LPs, 5 of singles) on just 1 table.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Hmm, need a clear out myself, might have a look at that.

Thanks for the headsup on Man or Astroman?, I really enjoyed that.

My colleague invited me to share a free table at a "Electric Bootfair" in the weekend. It's arranged by the electronics/battery recycling organization. You're supposed to sell electronic stuff, but we figured we could throw in a few crates of records as well, you need electricity to play them, dontcha know?
    I bought an old wooden sugar box (for keeping records in) at the last fair, so there you go...
    So unless weather keeps being horrible I'll have a small clear out as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Hmm, need a clear out myself, might have a look at that.
    Next one is at the end of November. It would be great to meet another VG+ member there. I really enjoyed talking to the record collectors that pop to my table, fellow music lovers.

Talking to the dealers was another thing. They just talk about prices and rarity, not about how the song makes you feel or the musical (as opposed to monetary) value of those records.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    Thanks for the headsup on Man or Astroman?, I really enjoyed that.
    More Man or Astroman?´s 7"s record pron. My full collection of little ones...

Now I have a double of UFO´s and the men who fly them! so I could built the flying saucer from one of the covers but something inside me, the record collector I imagine, prevents me from vandalizing the single.

Good luck with your clear out. It´s always an excuse to listen to more music and update your musical journey.
    ¡A tope con la vida!

Seems like someone who must own all their singles has alredy built the UFO.

http://astroarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2...-fly-them.html
    ¡A tope con la vida!