Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 Finds

Default October 2016 Finds

New stock in some chazzas after I have given them a rest for a few weeks due to holiday. Not much to report, but happy with what I have brought home.

The Flinstones original soundtracks The Snorkasaurus / The Big Bank Robbery.
    Yabba Dabba Doo! Included in the credits the characters Perry Masonry (attorney at law) and Pebble Bleach (pretty blonde).

Chill Town Heavyweight 3 Love these unofficial comps. All killer no filler usually. This one doesn't disappoint (it was on the turntable so couldn't make an appearance in the pic!).

Bosworth Record vinyl 78s (at least I asume they are). After some research I now know more about Bosworth Music. Library records then. I can find very little references to their early 60s vinyl 10" 78s though. A bit puzzled by the French text on the label.

The Bosworth Orchestra - Construction Site / Business As Usual / Everlasting Joy.

The Bosworth Orchestra - Waters Of The Deep / Ocean Wide.

I haven't dug out the 78 player to listen yet but the previous owner had helpfully scribbled some descriptions on the sleeves:

Construction Site - "we have used this". I wonder who "we" were?
    Business As Usual: "chatty, informal - lively"
    Everlasting Joy - "church bells throughout, full orchestra, almost hymn like". The church bells swung me.
    Waters Of The Deep - "quiet pastoral type"
    Ocean Wide - "dramatic - from sea movie". I think that's what it says anyway.

In mint condition.

Anybody shed any more light on these? They don't appear to have any established worth. 78 being the problem I guess and the early date i.e. not late 60s and unlikely to contain anything approaching jazz or beats unlike their later 60s/70s LPs ?

I dipped my toe in the water with these, there were more.

7"s of pleasure picked up from a misty field in Northants at 7am (I was a bit late!)

This pressed all my buttons and is a pretty catchy tune that Chas & Dave would have been proud of : download

A woman who has been clearing out her husbands vinyl for quite a while at the boots now turned up
    with lots of boxes of LP's which most folks fell on, but I went for the singles. I don't think I missed much
    with the albums, there were some Reggae but they were very tatty so I was happy at £3 for these demos.

odds 'n' ends

1982 EP

OK for a quid

Released to celebrate Spurs FA Cup final (going on to win 1:0 against QPR after replay) in 1982, the gold flexi is a nice extra.

Released to celebrate Shrewbury winning Division 3 and The Welsh Cup in 1979

Great label + sleeve

This instrumental version of The Who tune went top 40 in America but this UK issue fell flat

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    I do know that is the very first Flintstones record which used the original TV soundtrack. I was reading about it recently. here were some re-recorded versions which were released before. This one:

I very much like stone age characters.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Anybody shed any more light on these? They don't appear to have any established worth. 78 being the problem I guess and the early date i.e. not late 60s and unlikely to contain anything approaching jazz or beats unlike their later 60s/70s LPs ?
    The 78s were still being made as late as 1968 - I was hipped to a 1966 Radiophonics one on Chappell, although the chances of it showing up anywhere but online here are nil. Not sure if they're worth much but the more beaty looking ones may be worth having simply for the novelty.

You'll need to double check, but I read that the 60s library 78s are microgroove so need an LP/45 stylus - a normal 78 stylus would be too big and damage them. The damage is true vice versa as well so need to find out somehow...

Also "Frak!" remember that being very hard. Once you got through the levels you had to do them again upside down but I never got that far

Quote Originally Posted by bongolia View Post
    You'll need to double check, but I read that the 60s library 78s are microgroove so need an LP/45 stylus - a normal 78 stylus would be too big and damage them. The damage is true vice versa as well so need to find out somehow...
    Thanks. They do look microgroove. Maybe I will go and buy another one (if they are still there of course) that looks less interesting and experiment with that one first.

Also "Frak!" remember that being very hard. Once you got through the levels you had to do them again upside down but I never got that far
    ???

Haha, I remember turning the TV upside down. It may have been for this game as a certainly remember playing it a lot. It made the colours wonky for some reason though.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Pleased to find a copy of this which is a sort of companion to the 'Rifi' LP. Tassel and booklet intact.

Also I've been looking for a cheap copy of the 'Stereotyping' EP, by Jam Today, and just found one. Nice Jazzy little record which, I think, has 1981 written all over it- but that's no bad thing. Less than ten quid for the pair so I think I did okay, for a change.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

A bit of a round up. Sorry for the long post. From the usual variety of sources.

Here's some LPs I found.

Clara Ward was a pound box punt and there's a couple of nice tracks on it including a pretty funky 'California dreaming'
    Dutch Rhythm etc another pound punt. The LP before this has the great Neil Young cover on it amongst other nice moments. This one is nowhere near as good but I like the title track.
    Minnie from a charity shop. Won't be a keeper but couldn't leave it. Holler of you want it.
    Hawaiian S2S I've never seen before with some unusual cover choices - not listened yet. Probably fuzward bound.
    Whisky Stephen's marvellous comp. recommended.
    Gary Walker & the Rain spare of this cheeky boot of the super rare and very good psych LP.
    Country private press. Probably a shitter but went for it as it has synths on it. Not listened yet.
    Kak reissue out of a £3 box? Why not.
    Ace Düsseldorf comp included to make up the numbers.

45s to follow.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Yes we can can

Whooo yeah!

Fuzzy mod pop

Nice garage stomper

Not THEE version but still a decent psych head swirler

Decent edgy UK beat

On the freakbeat cusp

Catchy garage fuzz

UK'd up!

Funky instro cheapie

The Who were familiar with this one!

Aie is the bombastic track on here.

Ace and strange!

Frat rocker.

Nabbed to hear the 'switchblade' version of 'the witch' and to get 'have love will travel' on a 45.

Nice version

Great psychy pop

Snotty pissed off Canadian garage

Great US copy of a scarce and excellenr U.K. Freakbeat tune.

Good 2 sider from the bloke with the pumping piano!

Funky hard rock. A Sarge spin.

Radiophonics related theme-ery

Classic fuzzy RnB early bee fart

Booker T should have sued - fun though

Nice skinhead reggae

See above

50p Barry White production punt turns out to be a decent northern 45

A bit of classic soul

The fabs go northern

Funky UK soul mod mover.

Long sold out soul reiss found languishing in a record shop box for original release price rather than the subsequent daft discogs prices.

Completes my Raves collection. Yep. All 3 45s.

Funky eastern pop psych thing. A big Towny spin.

That Raves is fantastic, as are their other 2. Love the Samurai too, though Temple Of Gold, released in the UK at the time is possibly even better.

Anyone claimed the Gary Walker yet Lee?
    I was looking at the Dusseldorf comp when it came out, but like so many things it slipped off the radar.
    The Dutch Rhythm Steel & Show band lp you speak of would have passed me by completely if it hadn;t been shoved into my hand with a confident "just buy it" instruction. Glad I did.
    Ah! The Lemonade Kid Classic SF tunes
    There's more?
    Just spotted the 45s! Very cool selection. That's the next Mud playlist sorted then Is Joyce Bond that nice Hammond one? Ringing some bells certainly.
    A few very long time wants of mine you've pulled there.
    Great to see. Btw Pinnochio & The Puppets is coming when I can find Alexander for Eric if that makes sense.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Afraid the Gary Walker is going to reside at the seaside in Morecambe Paul. There we quite a few more 45s mate but I decided to go with edited highlights

At least it's going to a good home
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Nice 45s Lee! Jealous of that Beefheart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainbomb View Post
    Haha, I remember turning the TV upside down. It may have been for this game as a certainly remember playing it a lot. It made the colours wonky for some reason though.
    Ridiculously hard game.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Weird! 'Frak' on the BBC B, I had a hacked version of that game in the eighties where they had given the main character a pink penis. Funnily enough I only discovered 10 minutes ago that there is an electronica act called 'Frak' from Norway I think. Anyway re: those Bosworth 78's I've seen a ton of them on ebay over the last few months don't know if its related to your finds, there has to be some good music on some of them regardless of the quality.

Edit: Ah I remember now, he had a yoyo as his weapon but instead of that they had hacked it so a pink 8 bit protrusion unrolled to kill the baddies.
    Last edited by amidar; 03-10-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Over the weekend I bought "Possibilities" by Ova. There is a percussion track on side 2 that is not as good as I remember it being. Also a vocal improv track, that is alright (though no more than that).

I only mention this as it is also on Stroppy Cow Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Over the weekend I bought "Possibilities" by Ova. There is a percussion track on side 2 that is not as good as I remember it being. Also a vocal improv track, that is alright (though no more than that).

It has a discogs rating of 1.0/5 so you're not alone in your dislike of it. It's only been rated by one person, mind.

I don't remember that, it was difficult though. I was more into 'Chuckie Egg'. I seem to remember because of the sprite sizes in 'Frak' it was easy to die if you touched the baddies you died instantly which was generally followed by screaming abuse at the TV!

Chuckie Egg was a genius game. I loved it when the Big Chicken came out of the cage and also chased you around the screen.

The Frak hack reminds me of a BBC game called Nutter where you played Adolf Hitler headbutting bombs away from the Fatherland. It was again impossibly hard and rigged so that you would die pretty quickly. I must have been eight years old playing that.

Also got this. I think I put the vocal improv on a swap. There is a good thread on here about lesbian feminist records: http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...t-really-shred

Thanks Eine, I was going to check for a thread. And possibly ask if anyone was game to do a chart/mix/etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I acquired this over the weekend. Why did I look twice at it in the first place? Perhaps something about the sleeve art or the subject matter reminded me of the Beats at the Beaubourg.

I know why I bought it. It says on the back "Music by John Sangster".

My guess is that the "John Sangster" is the John Sangster. My guess is derived from the minute or so of vibes(?) that sharp-eared listeners will hear in odd places through the record. His involvement is so slight that even Sangster completists might have pause. That $2 could be put towards a cup of coffee or a croissant!
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 04-10-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Coffee or croissant.

It was awesome they really nailed it on the Beeb with that game, very fast moving as I remember. The odd thing was my younger sister was like the Xen master of Chuckie Egg probably because it was the only game she played!

Looking at that Frak video shows that it's all about the order in which you do it and timing but the sprites are so big and the game play so clunky it got annoying too soon. I dont think I even made it past level 1!

My father used to have a lot of business with Youth Clubs in the area through his line of work and during Thatchers reign they pumped quite a lot of money into some of them. One had a suite of BBC B's upstairs and I was allowed to go up with a few blank Floppy Disks (the actual floppy ones) and copy loads of games and stuff. What are kids gonna do in the eighties if you give them a suite of BBC Model B's put a dick on the Frak guy of course!

I don't know the Hitler game but I once got sent to the Headmaster because I loaded a game called 'Escape' based around a german prison camp and hiding from the guards. I think it came free with some old computer magazine. I only put it on cos their shitty spelling game would not load and I wanted to fault find if it was the tape player. I must have been 8 years old, 1st year of Juniors and hated school ever since that day lol. I still remember the teacher having a full blown melt down on me.

My favourite BBC game was 'Galaga' clone 'Zalaga' but you've probably got to say 'Elite' was 'the' game programmed on a Beeb as it basically created a genre of game that lives on to this day.

To loosely bring it back to music the soundchip on the BEEB was a great thing you could program the envelope filter on it among other things, its no SID chip though but I've always liked it, underappreciated. A great part of my childhood was taken up recording music from games with a tape player. I remember an Atari ST comp going round school like gold dust.

Gawd I'm sad, classic BBC shooter with awesome soundtrack, off topic but it illustrates the point I guess. :

Quote Originally Posted by eine View Post
    Chuckie Egg was a genius game. I loved it when the Big Chicken came out of the cage and also chased you around the screen.

The Frak hack reminds me of a BBC game called Nutter where you played Adolf Hitler headbutting bombs away from the Fatherland. It was again impossibly hard and rigged so that you would die pretty quickly. I must have been eight years old playing that.

Also got this. I think I put the vocal improv on a swap. There is a good thread on here about lesbian feminist records: http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...t-really-shred
    Last edited by amidar; 04-10-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Galaga

This was from the Library sale a while back. It cropped up late in the piece and I was pleased that it did, as I had not seen a copy before. However, on first listen I was not especially taken with it, and so I listened to other stuff instead. I decided to listen again to see if my feelings had changed. Prompted, of course, by the 'Sangster' connection (see above).

[IMG][/IMG]

Side 1 is a suite of 4 movements ("Improvisation for piano and string orchestra").

Side 2 is improvisations on themes from the suite; the improvisations being by Gould and Sangster. Side 2 is accomplished but a bit unvarying. Even the shortest piece ("A kind of hoe-down" - 3.50) could do with more of a range of sounds. The longest ("Perhaps a rain forest" - 11.40) reminds me, perhaps obviously, of Sangster's 'nature' oriented work. And while that is a good thing, the length isn't. But perhaps I am just too tired right now.

Side 1 adds 13 string players and 2 bass players. The arrangements are consistently interesting and attractive. Gould (the cover says) did a first-take overdub improvise over the arrangements. He keeps the piano fairly spare, so his bits stand out well. Overall, the playing sounds accomplished (only at one point was there what sounded like a possible miss-step). I suppose that, what with the string involvement, I would have to call it 'third stream', but it is very much towards the 'jazz' 'end' of the third stream. In that it is jazzy, it would be thought of as rather mainstream. That being so, it jars with most of my recent listening, but I doubt that most folks would find any fault there. Certainly, I don't - I find it difficult to imagine anyone not liking it. And I expect that there are many who would enjoy it a great deal.

Nm/Ex- (on account of the library markings - otherwise NM).

Too late for this year's swap CD. And it would be a complete contrast to the rest of the likely contents. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 05-10-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Misc. afterthoughts

Note to self - try not to use "perhaps" so much.

Bit of an ongoing stressful time at the moment. I've had some postbox finds delivered but I'll post them up at a later date. So I've not got out much to look at records in dingy places but popped in a few today for a speed browse. Its not like me to buy many 45's but even not being the biggest Jefferson Airplane fan in the world thought I might as well have a copy of White Rabbit' for 25p and a copy of 'Don Fardon - Indian Reservation' because it was in the RCA sleeve. Yep I could have just swapped the sleeves but the records are right next to the counter and it is a charity shop after all which has proved quite fruitful.

https://www.discogs.com/Jefferson-Ai...elease/1771944

Some other interesting looking 45's but nothing special and a little sandpapered and as usual lots of 'Englebert Humperdink' It was a small pile I kind of lose the will to live browsing through records without pictures on the front and I hardly ever find anything decent.

To be fair I actually quite like the Don Fardon 45' bit of a stomper with a nice flip.
    Last edited by amidar; 06-10-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Its not like me to buy many 45's
    Bad dog! In your bed. I'm almost choking on my coffee here.

The flip to 'White Rabbit' is pretty much destroyed no idea what in the blazes has got to stuck it but it has a 'residue' with an almost sticky glue like consistency which seems impervious to IPA and anything else I've thrown at it. A side is fine though, worth 25p so the wife can stop asking me 'Who does this song?' every time they use it on an american TV show, which is a lot!

Note to self - try not to use "perhaps" so much.