Thread: Gimme Danger trailer up

Default Gimme Danger trailer up

I'm sure there are a few people on here who will want to see this. Yep! I'm one of them.Official trailer went up a short while ago. Can't wait.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

in the seaside town that they forgot to close down...

Great stuff Paul
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

For anyone into The Stooges, I'm glad to report it's a blinder. Still buzzing from seeing it earlier at the ICA. We wanted to see it again straight away! Hope it comes around nearer to home.

Great stuff. To be honest it lacks a lot of detail its more a celebration than a straight up documentary.

Nothing on The O Mind.
    No explanation of who James Williamson is, where he came from or how he replaced Ron on guitar. The segue isn't even glossed over, its like a missing reel.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Quote Originally Posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    Great stuff. To be honest it lacks a lot of detail its more a celebration than a straight up documentary.

Nothing on The O Mind.
    No explanation of who James Williamson is, where he came from or how he replaced Ron on guitar. The segue isn't even glossed over, its like a missing reel.
    Maybe it's still a sore point for some and was avoided on purpose.

Williamson was a contemporary of the Stooges in the Detroit music scene of the late 60s, and he had played in the same Detroit band (The Chosen Few) as Ron Asheton (but not at the same time). So he probably knew them to some degree. He originally joined the Stooges as second guitarist towards the end of 1970, when their Elektra career was on the wane. I don't know why they decided they needed a second guitarist, but it was the period when the band was getting heavily into drugs, heroin in particular, and Williamson was Iggy's partner in crime, and took his side in disagreements with the Ashetons. AFAIR Ron Asheton discussed this a little in a documentary made by a dutch TV crew in the late 80s or early 90s. Ron Asheton was the only one who didn't become a junkie, which also set him apart from the rest of the band. When they all eventually succumbed to sickness and the money and record company support had run out (and instruments and equipment had been sold or pawned to buy drugs, etc), they split. I don't know if Ron had already switch to bass by then. When did Dave Alexander leave?

When Bowie offered Iggy the chance to record in 1972, Iggy called James Williamson, not Ron Asheton, and they wrote some songs together. When they had difficulty finding the right backing musicians they brought in the Ashetons, with Ron on bass, and it became Iggy & The Stooges. Blaming Bowie for the bad mix of Raw Power comes from Williamson. Ironically, Williamson himself produced the followup 'Kill City' LP which has it's own production problems (though I do like it a lot). Apart from a couple of Iggy's later solo LPs, I'm not aware of anything else he did.

Looking forward to seeing this movie!
    Last edited by Milesago; 22-11-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Milesago View Post
    Apart from a couple of Iggy's later solo LPs, I'm not aware of anything else he did.

Looking forward to seeing this movie!
    Explained in the doco - went to college, got a degree in electronics, went to work for Sony in Silicon Valley, ended up a Vice-President and millionaire!!
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

The footage of The Stooges was great, but I was nearly out of my seat when the MC5 scenes were showing. The real deal for me.
    Extended spontaneous applause at the end of the showing I went to. Which is a big thumbs up in my book. I'm amazed it was as coherent as it was to tell you the truth. I was also amazed that, given the excesses they put their bodies through, that they could recall as much as they did.
    Planning on going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
    Explained in the doco - went to college, got a degree in electronics, went to work for Sony in Silicon Valley, ended up a Vice-President and millionaire!!
    Wow, I did not know that, sounds like he became the worlds forgotten boy for a while.
    I wonder if any co-workers ever recognised him? That would've been odd.

No sign of any Dutch or Belgian screenings yet.

You are obviously a fan Milesago. Guarantee you will love this film. Hope it makes it over, it should do surely.