Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post

The perfect album to find on a Cumbrian dig, this was found in Silloth
    Been a fan of this one for many a year, although if I never hear another version of "The German Clockwinder" it'll be too soon. Some really great tracks on it though, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    It’s a strange one and I’m not sure it’s one I’d keep, but I think I’ll easily rehome it on the forum.
    I'd be up for a spare, if you fancy a trade.

In fact, I seem to be on a "filling gaps in my vulture classic stash from charity shop finds" streak now. In this day and age!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post

Enjoying this on a Friday afternoon! The base bits at 2:40 are acer!

I don't trust your friendly style, I see right through your golden smile...
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Two fascinatingly different ways of being extremely hairy there. Pantano's creamy complexion is highlighted by his permed halo while Salsbury combines elements of bear, spaniel and guinea pig.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

I suspect you're exactly the kind of silver-tongued fast-speaking false prophet they are warning about babycart.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

It's like Noel Edmonds and The Hairy Fuckflake on one of those face swapping apps.

Lol, yep nice bit of Bass Wah there, that track stuck out as the highlight for me the rest is a bit hit and miss but better than the 'Chuck Girard' album bought from the same town t'other week. It would seem someone has distributed a small collection of 'Hairy Xian' throughout the chazzas in the area in fact there was another Chuck in a different shop but I passed my hairdar may have been on the fritz.

The boots may be over for the year but the charity shops are still coming up trumps.

I have never come across one of these EP's before until I saw one at a friends house the other week.
    The Blue Cat was not called King Buster but King Buxton despite what the rear of the sleeve claims!

I hit the motherlode of Lebanese music at the tip shop on Thursday, I couldn't resist the charms of the 50p Belly Dance albums.

No doubt much rarer were the albums I found on my trip round the charity shops in town during the week,
    including these 2 albums appropriately sitting next to each other...

I was gobsmacked to come across these 2 for 49p each (!?) at the Help The Aged shop!

Oh man, turning up a cache of belly dance albums like that would make my decade. Nice work, HG.

Co-sign that.

I've got "Spotlight on Belly Dancing". IIRC there is a track on it which is a less of a belter, instead being a bit more hypnotic. Would lurrrrrrrve to hear a comp of comparable tracks HG, if you ever have time on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Co-sign that.

Would lurrrrrrrve to hear a comp of comparable tracks HG, if you ever have time on your hands.
    one day! I had 2 on rotation yesterday and the missus shouted down to me in the cellar asking me to "play something else as it all sounds the same" tsk, she just doesn't get it...

great stuff HG, I'd have bought all those belly dance albums like a shot

Love the eye assaulting garishness of those Belly Dance LP's. Could have done without the tedious Beatles and Nirvana photos.
    record licker

Top work HG, I am concerned by the dustiness of your 1210 though

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Top work HG, I am concerned by the dustiness of your 1210 though

ah yeah, I really should sort that out - this afternoon, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Disco Belly Dancing that I must hear!
    that is the best one so far!

Susie Coles - Once Again With You
    More private press folk from one charity which seems to turn them up regularly (and yet they sell beaten up Elton John records for $15 - go figure). All covers, as far as I can tell - no songwriting credits. Guitar, voice, and that's it - very stripped back. A very fine singer, though the guitar work is fairly basic.

In another world this might've had LONER FOLK GRAIL status but it's not actually that good - without original material or a particularly distinctive approach it just feels like a particularly talented open mic. Certainly a curio though.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefin View Post

Susie Coles - Once Again With You
    More private press folk from one charity which seems to turn them up regularly (and yet they sell beaten up Elton John records for $15 - go figure). All covers, as far as I can tell - no songwriting credits. Guitar, voice, and that's it - very stripped back. A very fine singer, though the guitar work is fairly basic.

In another world this might've had LONER FOLK GRAIL status but it's not actually that good - without original material or a particularly distinctive approach it just feels like a particularly talented open mic. Certainly a curio though.

I think that's quite often the case: sleeve hinting at LONER FOLK GRAIL >>>> it's not actually that good
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by cratedigger View Post
    I think that's quite often the case: sleeve hinting at LONER FOLK GRAIL >>>> it's not actually that good
    I feel like some careful hype could've got this one there - it ticks all the boxes on paper, no strings or naff lyrics about Jesus - but there's not much spark to it. Maybe it'll grow on me.

one day! I had 2 on rotation yesterday and the missus shouted down to me in the cellar asking me to "play something else as it all sounds the same" tsk, she just doesn't get it...
    Well, she's never going to learn how to belly dance with that attitude...

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    Well, she's never going to learn how to belly dance with that attitude...
    yes... tell me about it

My Dad used to play accordion in combos very much like this one and on occasion for belly dancers - uncanny.

my dad took me to see a topless belly dancer in a club in Carlisle once, it was actually pretty rubbish

Another small package in the mailbox, the results of trawling through a big lot of random mostly 70s 45s on Tradera. Tired of sniping I just put down a max price and hoped for the best, and hit rate was 4/10 for reasonable prices, 5-6€. I'm sure they are known here.
    EAGLE - Kickin it back to you/Come in it's all for free
    Apparently the A-side is played in the NS scene, judging by two YT clips of people shaking their stuff to it, but I prefer the B-side.

Shakane - Down down down
    But the Swedish edition with a B/W sleeve and different B-side. Shakane seems to have been a thing in Sweden, the 45s turn up here.

Outer Limits - Dark side of the moon/Black boots
    Actually a spare, the non-demo version, that I couldn't resist grabbing for the B-side. Shout if you need. Already shouted for!

Dr Feelgood - Roxette
    Of course I have Down by the jetty, but I really wanted this one on 45.
    Last edited by cratedigger; 21-11-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I won a box of around 50 LP's including Miles, Groundhogs, Gentle Giant, Beefheart etc for £80 at the auction recently,
    which included some really nice gems in great nick including a whole run of 70's Herbie Hancock albums.

A couple of picks from the lot

I was best pleased with this excellent pink upgrade for my old palm Island copy!

the charity shops were not so kind this week except for this VG copy in a 50p bin

Nice one HG. I love 'Mwandishi' but I mustn't have listened to it for a few years. Must rectify that.

I was best pleased with this excellent pink upgrade for my old palm Island copy!
    Pink Eye !!! Result, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by spacefin View Post
    I feel like some careful hype could've got this one there - it ticks all the boxes on paper, no strings or naff lyrics about Jesus - but there's not much spark to it. Maybe it'll grow on me.
    It was reissued recently so your original could be suddenly desirable.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"