Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November 2016 Finds

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    my dad took me to see a topless belly dancer in a club in Carlisle once, it was actually pretty rubbish
    Carlisle or the belly dancer?
    record licker

Quote Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
    Carlisle or the belly dancer?
    ah I'm from Carlisle so have to say the belly dancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    my dad took me to see a topless belly dancer in a club in Carlisle once, it was actually pretty rubbish
    A topless belly dancer is kind of missing the point...

Some freebies from the music man on the market in the main although I picked this piece of 70's Oud Raga action from Sue Ryder for a Pound. :

All be that its a CD Reissue I'm still chuffed as I rarely find things like this.

These were mostly from the market man in fact all bar 1, eclectic mix of chuff. :

[IMG][/IMG]

Quite chuffed with the Radio 1 sessions as it has Cardiacs on it alongside some other good stuff. I think you can get the whole Cardiacs session on vinyl somewhere think it was for Janice Long. John Peel's session guy hated Cardiacs and wouldn't have them in his studio. So the story goes when they did a 'Sea Nymphs' Peel Session there was worry they would be recognised and booted out. That's all gossip I have no way of substantiating. Oh the sleeveless one is 'Copperhead' and the Norman Dean PP is pretty dire so far...

I picked up the Eduardo album purely because I know 'Babycart' has an appreciation of late 60's to early 70's Spanish Hotel Architecture.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking at the signature he's spent some time on that highlighting in bold the 'Love and Kisses' and drawing a little picture of a stickman with a guitar made out of two coconuts.

I also dropped off a big pile of records at the 'Help the Aged' discount shop as they haven't had any in for ages and they were chuffed to bits. I also fit in long overdue haircut, it's like men's hairdresser wars in town at the moment 5 including the new Turkish one that has opened. Seems old style hipster hairdressing is reaching the town as they all seem to be going for that vibe. I peered in and saw him sharpening a cut throat razor with something so avoided (not to mention the wait, nothing worse than waiting for a haircut.) however the wife tells me everyone is raving about it. I'll stick with my Braun for Beard duties thank you.
    Last edited by amidar; 18-11-2016 at 04:26 PM.

We've got the Cardiacs radio sessions ep. Jolly good it is too.
    Don't worry that the Copperhead lp has no cover, Cippolina is on guitar duty.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Yeah I'm digging that, had no idea of the QMS connection just saw the year and my Southern Rock senses tingled a little. He has a great guitar tone that man really gutsy and could cut through a wall!

I'm sure I have an MP3 of that Janice Long session somewhere I might have filed it with all the Cardiac's bootlegs I've accumulated or alongside the Radcliffe and Marc Riley sessions they did. I'm sure I've seen it on ebay too with some mad price tag on it, all their first press releases be they CD or Vinyl go for silly money these days. The amount of times I get sniped on Cardiacs albums is annoying.

To be fair though its not a bad comp even 'Voice of the Beehive' failed to ruin my listening experience and always interesting to hear 'The Stranglers' live in that 'Meninblack', 'La Folie' period. Oh and 'Wedding Present' guilty pleasure alert.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    We've got the Cardiacs radio sessions ep. Jolly good it is too.
    Don't worry that the Copperhead lp has no cover, Cippolina is on guitar duty.

Popped to a local antiques centre which has tons of records unfortunately most are over priced mojo reissue chud but a couple of shops have lots of interesting records with deals to be struck. Sadly one of them was undergoing a refit so the record section in the book shop it was which is a diggers dream/nightmare as everything is unsorted and there is piles of it. I wasn't in the mood for punting on 80's library records of which they have a few so just set about digging through the whole lot but only came away with one record. They have the oddest records but cant help thinking if they ditched 90% of the dixieland stuff they have in there that will never sell there would be much more room.

On the way out I popped into another shop that has a lot of records and picked up one I know has been sat in their racks for over 2 years if not longer, would they do me a deal? Nope they wouldn't even knock a penny off it, half the fun is haggling.

Anyway got a mint copy of this for 4 quid so worth the trip and all the knackered knees. :

I did almost buy a copy of 'The Gentle Power of Song - Circus' and although it sounds a bit of an oddity and quite groovy I'm glad I was put off as it wasn't cheap and I'd probably never play it more than once. I thought it was prog until I read the track listing and sleeve notes.

Damn right about Cippolina Amidar. Unique tone, and easily the coolest person to set foot on stage at Monterey in '67

picked up this today , Finnish psychedelic prog weirdness by Hot Thumbs O'Riley ‎who actually turns out to be a British songwriter who moved to Finland in 1965, too far out for me, if anyone rides for this trades welcome

That's Jim Penbroke out of Finnish prog Legends 'Wigwam' and earlier 'Blues Section' I love his work and especially that album, Despite his crazy spoken word intro's in between every track there is some great stuff on there. I like the version of 'Grass for Blades' which was much later re-recorded by 'Wigwam'. Great find gets an OOOfff from me!

I prefer the original cover mind you seems your copy is a US edition although none the less desirable. They didn't release anything by Jim or Wigwam over here until about 1976 and not much since.

Great Vid TB, although some of those dudes have what some might describe as 'piss holes in snow' as eyes.
    Last edited by amidar; 19-11-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: by not as.

Thanks for the info, never heard of legends Wigwam either, pleased at least you like it, should I take a relisten, nah, each to our own eh

Wow! I'm amazed you haven't come across any Wigwam lps. There's 13 (at least) of the blighters. I like the early 45s, predictably I suppose.

well, in amongst the recent mail/ online/ shop/ new v. old/ bandcamp multi-channel jazz-balm for the battered soul, i managed to find:

one of each of these:

Which comes with a free ESP-Disk sampler LP, inc Erica Pomerance and the Har-You Percussion Group. It also contains the gorgeous, original version of Stella Levitt's "Note So High". Why is this record so cheap? WHY?

and, in two different shops in the space of 15 minutes, two copies of this:

and i left a third copy in the second shop cos it would have been rude/ churlish/ etc to take it too. it was also more expensive. PM me if you're interested, happy to share source.

I never got QMS, even years back when I went through a brief 'psych' phase. Possibly I am not alone in that. Most of the audience in that clip showed little sign of engagement. Perhaps the reason they never made it big was that

they weren't that good.

[Exhales]

There. I've said it.

Definitely not everyones cup of tea Funktionnaire, I'd agree with that. If they were, they would have been mega stars. They weren't. I can't put my finger on it, but I was immersed in that whole West Coast, early psychedelic sound for many years. For me, they encapsulated that sound. They were better and cooler than the Dead IMO. Sometimes I listen to John Cippolina on those early QMS lps and I get chills. Which is great for me, but obviously not for everybody.
    Never be afraid to say what you don't like as well as what you really love, as it all stimulates discussion. In that way, we can understand each other better too. It also avoids a room full of elephants.
    I think Monterey was one of the first big "public" showcases of the emergent pop/rock sounds of the time. Even in that clip, you can see there's a whole cross section of society, not purely the standard "hippy" audience of the monster later festivals. I actually prefer the vibe that comes across in that film as opposed to the Woodstock film from a few years later. I think a fair number of people at the show were there out of curiosity. If you had been listening to mainstream radio in early'67 and popped along to Monterey , you could have been forgiven for not knowing what to make of a lot of the bands performing. Unless you bumped into Mr Owsley on the way in of course.

If you find another Levitts with the sampler "cheap" please give me the heads up Alan.
    Maybe we need a ready reckoner of what is generally regarded as cheap etc. Cheap to me is under a tenner. Am I in the ball park?

Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    He only listens to Jazz people like me who obviously know nothing about how jazz music works

Apparently you cant mix jazz with prog or any other kind of music
    Amidar, I used to love prog, and bought and listened to nothing else at one stage, it was that that got me into jazz and of course I know of Pekka Pohjola and I'll always pick up anything like this that I've never heard or seen before, to keep if I like it or flip if I dont
    I'm 60 and bought every tamla record , then reggae, then rock, then punk, then house and d&b, I havn't always liked jazz and its not the only thing I listen to today either so dont prejudge me
    This record is weird to say the least, you know it you say
    Last edited by reza; 20-11-2016 at 09:42 AM.

I've already called the police ...

Not as bad as I thought it would be, but on the OUT pile
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

^ What can you expect from a man wearing furniture upholstery?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ What can you expect from a man wearing furniture upholstery?
    A decorative pouf perhaps?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Love that Horace Silver.

Horace Silver must be the most productive artist on Blue Note.

cheap vinyl finds I have picked up whilst out and about last week

Yugoslavian Prog from 1975 and of course I bought it for the cover

49p for this unusual Punk & Avantgarde compilation from 1980

It does exactly what it says on the sleeve

A double album picked up with my golf mad father in law in mind

A musical tour of the city released in 1969

The best and most unusual find of the week was this album from 1975 complete with booklet.

The Miles Davis track from Bitches Brew is a stand-out on this Quad comp.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmck View Post

"lets get to the nitty gritty" & "sweet sweetie dee" killer cuts.

Horace looking most dapper on that cover unlike this one where it looks like he's been to the diner next door to the studio a little too often...

As predicted, I'm really slowing the vinyl purchasing down as my lovely young lady consistently submits her Christmas and Birthday wants (yes, the perfect storm of her having a birthday a couple of days before Christmas). Such is life.

These lot all came from Rob's a couple of weeks back. Forum-friendly fodder from The Association, I'm sure I used to have this many years ago, won't be letting it go this time though. Shelly Manne is so much better than I expected, just my kind of slightly deranged, atmospheric and funky jazz. Michael Chapman has maybe two good tracks, not sure if it's a keeper, bit too AOR for me I reckon. Really chuffed to get the Ozo LP for less than the price of a Costa beverage, yes it's FAR too heavy on the reggae, but you can't mess with 'Anambra'.

Got the above set from Rob's last Friday. Glad to get the first volume of Amazing Dancing Band as I've had copies of Volume Two a few times, but never seen this one before. Some good, beaty almost Northern stompers on here, well worth picking up if you see it cheap enough. Thirty Days Out was cheap, thank God as it's extremely beige, overwrought hard prog (straight in the pile to be off-loaded down the market). Had heard many good things about Galaxie 500, but can't really remember them from the time - think I was buying Native Tongues, X-Clan, LONS, KMD etc at that time! Really not sure about it, can kind of hear a way in via Mazzy Star or MBV, but I dunno - should I persevere? Similarly with The Saints, heard so much to lure me in, but it sounds like punk parody to me. This was not my best haul from Rob, put it that way - one keeper out of four! Oh dear.

Top two were from a charity shop near work (both spares). The Barron Knights has a couple of decent tracks actually and I'm sure all are aware of the merits of the Kaempfert. 'Taxi Driver' was off eBay, I've been after it at a decent price for years. Much prefer Bernard Herrmann's Side Two than the jazz-funk from Tom Scott on Side One. One a day like today, when the real rain has definitely come, the main theme sounds so good.

And, while out and about today, I bought................................a 7"!!!! I know, I know. But it was Kate Bush's 'December Will Be Magic Again' and it was at the very front of the rack of 7"s, so caught my eye and is absolutely my favourite Christmas song, so I took that to be an omen (I also got Kraftwerk 'The Model' and The Jam 'Beat Surrender' for a work colleague and Alan Tew 'Magic Fly' which will be a freebie here - rounded me off to the 4 for 1 offer). It won't happen again.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Slippery slope with the 45s Ben ��

Nice finds sir.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Slippery slope Ben. Better start collecting those 7" mailers

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    Slippery slope with the 45s Ben ��

Nice finds sir.
    Now that's a bit freaky

Haha! Well we have 45 form Paul.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Wow! I'm amazed you haven't come across any Wigwam lps. There's 13 (at least) of the blighters. I like the early 45s, predictably I suppose.
    I've got the first two Paul mate, you love this one, very Canterbury sounding -

https://www.discogs.com/Wigwam-Hard-...elease/8554845
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"