Thread: Christmas ads

Default Christmas ads

They got me this time! Why am I reduced to a sniffly ninkumpoop by this years Christmas TV ads?
    Line up you hard hearted plussers and shoot me down for being a big softie.

Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Get thee to a nunnery!
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

I'm with you. I like the carrot too.

The carrot? What's this?
    The funny thing is, I'm not even remotely a Christmassy person. Interesting that the ad companies are pulling at our emotional strings, and using wildlife to create the desired effect. Unfortunately, I'm rendered helpless when confronted by a handsome fox or one of his photogenic, wild companions. Doesn't make me want to dash off to Waitrose or Jon lewis and spend a fortune though. Maybe I'm missing the point, or the spend trigger isn't so easily deployed in a curmudgeonly old misery like me.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    The carrot? What's this?
    The Aldi ad (or is it Asda? Ha, advertising is lost on me).

The Lidl one is quite annoying with the free range turkeys and how blown away the woman is at how well treated they are by the farmer and then it ends with her eating one!

Its his chicken sheds she should be having a look at.

Why is the robin living in a kettle in a forest? Why is a sedentary bird migrating? Why is it sharing a mince pie with another highly territorial bird at the end? Why are CGI foxes and badgers bouncing with their natural prey?

Animals do not behave like this, even during a season of goodwill.
    I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Robins come here from Scandinavia and Russia during winter. For the mince pies obviously (or maybe to watch the silly trampolining British wildlife, who knows?) Adventurous female robins even pack their tiny suitcases and pop down to Spain for a fiery fling during the summer. "Our" robins are the little chaps that will happily sit on your spade and tweetle at you to bung them a worm. The migrants are more shy, and paler in colour too. They tend to skulk around under hedges watching in disbelief as the brave local birds engage with the humans, yet somehow never seem to end up dead and pickled in a jar with their children.

Highly nauseating that Amazon should be positioning itself as a force for good in this way

Spirit Duplicatorócollectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Why is the robin living in a kettle in a forest? Why is a sedentary bird migrating? Why is it sharing a mince pie with another highly territorial bird at the end? Why are CGI foxes and badgers bouncing with their natural prey?

Animals do not behave like this, even during a season of goodwill.
    Maybe they are participants in the 2016 Very Good Plus Mince Pie Count? Ahem.
    record licker

I've lost count already and we're not even in November. Is there an official/respectable start date?

The Spanish xmas lottery ads are always pretty nauseating. This year it's the Good bye Lenin treatment...
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

The Spanish xmas lottery ads are always pretty nauseating. This year it's the Good bye Lenin treatment...
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Bit of an epic that one!
    No doubt you saw this act of philanthropy
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/25/corona-...-millionaires/

interesting tale, but as always with the murdoch press pseudo-journalism, it's turned out to be a load of bull! http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/billionaire...s-will-1593322

I love the Spanish lottery draw itself- big, whirling brass spheres and an endless parade of freshly scrubbed orphans bearing little balls aloft and singing the numbers out. After five minutes you're bored to death, but once you break through the half hour barrier you enter a sort of festive trance state that lasts for days.

I hope not. That would make me the Jimmy Savile of the record racks.

Bit of an epic that one!
    interesting tale, but as always with the murdoch press pseudo-journalism, it's turned out to be a load of bull! http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/billionaire...s-will-1593322

Bit of an epic that one!

I love the Spanish lottery draw itself- big, whirling brass spheres and an endless parade of freshly scrubbed orphans bearing little balls aloft and singing the numbers out. After five minutes you're bored to death, but once you break through the half hour barrier you enter a sort of festive trance state that lasts for days.
    Quite.
    I well recall the first year they did it after the intoduction of the single currency, and the trepidation as to how they'd make the transistion from pe-se-tas, whose three syllables 'scan' rather well, to the more unwieldy dipthong of 'Eu-rohhhhs'!!

Quite.
    I well recall the first year they did it after the intoduction of the single currency, and the trepidation as to how they'd make the transistion from pe-se-tas, whose three syllables 'scan' rather well, to the more unwieldy dipthong of 'Eu-rohhhhs'!!

I curl up with a blanket and watch this every year