Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 12 - 2016

why are the images on the forum so large these days?
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

When I used Photobucket, my images were ok. Since I've switched to Imgsafe, they've gone a bit mental. Haven't found a way to make them smaller. On the plus side, old gits like me don't have to squint at the screen quite so much to see what's on a label/cover.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    The Postcode song is exactly what you'd expect, Issued by the PO to encourage people to use their Postcode.
    I've still got my Poco The Postcode Elephant badge. Didn't know there was a record too though!

Was in a local Oxfam and ended up having a long chat with the clerk who was an ex headmaster of all things, lovely chap. Anyway among other things he saw me browsing the jazz and told me they'd had a huge collection brought in but it didn't seem to be shifting but I said the problem is as nice and well looked after as it is it's all pre-war so it's not really that collectible. The only thing I could find among it all was this which I'm looking forward to giving a spin later. Dizzy in a 6 man group with percussion in what the sleeve notes allude is his tribute to the Caribbean.

Little taster, I don't usually watch Youtube clips before I've listened to a record I bought but couldn't help myself. :

Forgot to add its from 1964. Its superb in parts (as above) and quite a unique recording in my opinion with some bonkers Calypso tracks sung by the man himself. In superb nick and I like to think guy probably played it and thought 'What the Flip' (considering the rest of his huge collection of trad) and never played it again.
    Last edited by amidar; 07-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.

I won these 2 x 102 year old 78's in an auction last night for £1 each

They are both from 1914 this one has parts 1&2 on each side

This one is very scarce and I could find nothing about it online, the flip is a soldiers singalong,
    blissfully unaware they were no doubt marching towards their deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Gardener View Post
    What a crazy way to ride a horse. The chap need to have his bonce examined.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Imgsafe images do not display for me on this forum - I always have to click the icon to open the image in a new window, edit the URL to non secure (http instead of https) and then it displays. But I have to do this for every imgsafe image. Is there a shortcut setting I can use to do this?

Unless I'm missing something, its not possible to delete images from Imgsafe, which I find odd.

So thats two strikes against Imgsafe, as far as I'm concerned.

I just get the image up full size on Imgsafe (ie bloody massive!), copy it and paste it into the "from URL box" in the insert image link, and de select that little tick in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    I just get the image up full size on Imgsafe (ie bloody massive!), copy it and paste it into the "from URL box" in the insert image link, and de select that little tick in the box.
    Oops, no I meant when I try to view your finds post, I have to do this to view the images... but now I realise this has to do with my internet provider settings, and nothing to do with the vgplus site.
    It was just after lunch and I was feeling a bit sleepy, not quite alert.
    Sorry for any confusion my remarks may have caused.

My mistake M, I can't read and comprehend at the same time. Now I've re-read your post I understand.
    That's a bit odd that you can't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    My mistake M, I can't read and comprehend at the same time. Now I've re-read your post I understand.
    That's a bit odd that you can't see them.
    It's to do with secure sites. Probably something has gone over to secure and some old server rule somewhere is no longer working properly.
    Great looking flexis by the way. I'd heard of east european flexis of course but I'd never seen this particular Russian magazine before.
    Looking at the long list of issues on discogs, some of the front cover artwork is wonderful.
    The collector gene began to kick in, I had to fight it down.

If you found that page M, you might have noticed the link. You can actually listen to all the flexis!! If I had the time, I'd be trawling that site looking for hidden gems, of which I'm sure there are plenty. Bit of a project for someone there. Unless of course somebody has already done the donkey work and can point us straight at the cool ones
    Yes, great covers on some of them.

Couple of cheapies dont know why I bought the Hollies it's a bit beaten up more looking forward to the other bass and piano session from 1973 complete with booklet and shrink wrap. I actually went back for a double cuban thing he did in 1972 (the name escapes me) but it was gone. Apparently there is a jazz rival at the charity warehouse and he actually buys it to listen to he'd grabbed it I think alongside some thing on Pacific Jazz which was a bit pricey for me so I settled for another Ellington on Pablo. Anyway, crumbs, competition, jazz wars! :

Actually the Hollies plays back a lot better than it looks at first glance and is a bit Psyche I suppose. What say you Paul?
    I don't mind it to be fair it has it's moments.

Last edited by amidar; 08-12-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Definitely has traces of their dabbling with psyche sounds. They had obviously moved on to their credit. There's a couple of decent breaks on the lp which I have no idea if they have been picked up on or not. As always, it's the harmonies that shine. Not a big fan of Confessions Of A Mind (the track itself) or Isn't It Nice, but there's enough good tunes on here, and some very good songs. Still reckon Tony Hicks is well under-rated.
    I would have pulled it in a chazza for sure.

I think that's about right I've listened to it a couple of times and there is at least 4 songs that stick out on first listen to make me want to go back for more. Certainly makes me want pick up the 2 albums that followed. Just to add it looked wrecked when I pulled it out but it was mainly a little dust and light hairlines it actually plays back pretty fine. It's obviously seen it's share of actually being played but not abused.
    Last edited by amidar; 10-12-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: condition

The chazzas continue to disappoint lately. Only a quick dive into two today amongst a bit of Xmas shopping. Was drawn to this one for reasons unknown.
    I can report it does exactly was it says on the ...er... tin.

Paddy Moloney & Sean Potts - Tin Whistles.

I don't know why, but I thought I would enjoy listening to this, and I do! (the wife, however, shook her head in disbelief). Quite a nice cover too, the writing is embossed.

I'd have bought that for my sins. Was just going to say it looks a really well designed cover then scrolled down and you'd beat me to it. I'm strangely drawn to the whistler on the right for some reason, he's got it all going on.

My wife barely raises an eyebrow at my purchases after years of it but I reckon I might have got a similar head shake with that one!

Yes ,the guy on the right has an embarrassment of riches for sure (sorry - to be sure) - the hooter, the sideburn, and a very well fitting pullover - perfect sleeve length with snug cuffs. In fact it makes me feel all warm and cosy just looking at those pullovers. The cover just oozes quality the more I look at it.

I found this.
    Blue black one...

Sadly someone has coloured a little bit of the illustration on the back in biro.

Few marks on it but cleaned it up on the okki nokki and plays through fine...

Not really my bag though sadly. Only liked one of the tracks..

https://youtu.be/OFBaukiTFfE

And this one too...

Can't find a YouTube link for this one. As it says on the cover it's jazz.

Rather enjoyable, couple of the tracks kind of remind me of libaek I think...

That Sangster is one of my faves. Probable pick for my share of the 1001 albums you must hear before you can qualify for VG+ membership. "Rain", "Forest with birds", "The Birds", if I had to choose.

Today, $3 secured me this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tasty Euro-cheese. Good for grip/enjoy briefly/ flip. A further $1 secured me this. My thinking being much the same.

[IMG][/IMG]

And $0.50 this. I got this because (a) it is Oz jazz. I missed out on a couple of potentially interesting Oz jazz albums here recently, due to dithering. Also (b) it mentions "non-tempo jazz" as being a feature of one of the tracks. I am curious.

[IMG][/IMG]

It turns out that someone thinks that one of Frank's records is worth a bit. Not that there have been that many sales on Discogs. Possibly due to the "magnificent" singing of "Miss Judy Durham" on some tracks [quoting the sleeve notes]?
    Last edited by Funktionnaire; 11-12-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Miss Judy Durham

Tasty Euro-cheese. Good for grip/enjoy briefly/ flip. A further $1 secured me this. My thinking being much the same.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ooh dollar for moogtonegro(see what i did there-suprised this wasnt original title)great a bargain no?Its hard to find over here, the version of dizzy is brilliant. He (Hugo)also did a moogy tribute to Stevie Wonder is ubiquitous but nowhere near as good.

The very first Moog album I ever bought and stupidly got rid of. It's not a grail but I've not seen one again in 20 odd years since!

It's lucky they were wearing them seeing as it looks like they have fallen into a cold ravine or cave system of some kind. Perefect cave wear so it is.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    Yes ,the guy on the right has an embarrassment of riches for sure (sorry - to be sure) - the hooter, the sideburn, and a very well fitting pullover - perfect sleeve length with snug cuffs. In fact it makes me feel all warm and cosy just looking at those pullovers. The cover just oozes quality the more I look at it.

Hugo almost certainly up for grabs.

I've not listened yet, but vinyl looks ex, maybe ex-. Some light scuffing, but no obvious gouging. Could do with a clean. Sleeve = ex, maybe. Bottom needs a re-glue. A bit of laminate lifting on the front. The back is a bit brown. Missing a strip of laminate on the right?

PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by candiman View Post
    That's Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains. He's a legend and he's still going strong. My mum once grabbed me dancing to one of his reels and split my head open on a kitchen cupboard. I needed 5 stitches.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Couple of 50p finds. Pre: KC Sunshine Band, I'm not the massive disco and Funk obsessive I once was but it was Mint. :

and this interesting piece of Xian 'The Glorylanders - Volume 2' track 1 even ends with some crazy echoplex and I thought my amp had gone on the blink for a sec. It's not too preachy some trad folk on there too. Edit: Actually they got good value with the echo on this. Backwards effects, Proto-Sampling; I'm making it sound better than it is but even so its pleasant enough. :

It's not too hard to pick up over here, maybe less easier these days judging by discogs prices. Its one for the wilds for sure. I found 'Klaus Wunderlich Sound 2000' around the same time and I still have that (quite possibly in the same field or skip), don't know why it's turgid and I love all things Moog the follow up treated Electric Piano album is better. I must have car booted Hugo for my sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Funktionnaire View Post
    Hugo almost certainly up for grabs.

I've not listened yet, but vinyl looks ex, maybe ex-. Some light scuffing, but no obvious gouging. Could do with a clean. Sleeve = ex, maybe. Bottom needs a re-glue. A bit of laminate lifting on the front. The back is a bit brown. Missing a strip of laminate on the right?

PM me if interested.

Usual drill from me, quick round up of what I've acquired lately, some good, some less so. Same old spots as well, Rob's Records, Anarchy, market and a few days out really slogging round the chazzas of Notts, Erewash and Ashfield.

First up, some 12"s:

'Spacer' was picked up to add to my mate's Christmas present (vinyl's such a good gift I reckon - the thought that has to go into it for a start), has to be in the top three Rodgers / Edwards productions, surely? Not sure about Freeez, bit Essex-boy jazz funk and don't get me started on the bow-ties. I do love my ostentatious 80s pop bombast and Scritti had a few years of absolute (!) bliss.

A few more 12"s. I think I'm just about complete with Japan now. The dealers I've been talking to tell me that Japan vinyl has really picked up demand lately, whereas a few years back you couldn't give it away. I feel vindicated! Found the YMO in an antiques shop in Heanor (scary place after sunset!), not long after re-buying the LP, which is typical, but very welcome as 'Computer Games' needs to be heard on 12". And some lovely Moroder-era Mael action.

Moving away from the danceable stuff and more towards the Goth end of the spectrum (which is where I seem to be dwelling a lot lately). Banshees 12" - flip it over for 'A Sleeping Rain' - amazing. After finding Killing Joke again (last copy I had was gifted to my mate, this one's sticking around), I decided to venture onto Discogs and buy 'Eighties' as well. If anyone's wondering why I've reported a Pearl Jam 12" as a find ("Surely they're ten a penny Ben?"), it's genuinely hard to turn up the better grunge stuff now. And this tune has an extra meaning for anyone who's watched Eastbound and Down ("I'm Tom Cruise everybody"). Again, this one's in my mate's Christmas package.

As mentioned on my last finds post, I've had to curtail spending quite dramatically due to this festive nonsense, so I've only been on the Bay twice and got a rather cheap copy of the rather eclectic weirdness of Tom Bailey - one of those records recommended on here years ago, which I've only seen in the wild once (£80 - I think not). Nice to welcome the McNair LP back into the fold after many years without it, even though I had to get it from a Spanish seller, the total cost was very reasonable. Got the Graham Bell from Rob's - another one of those albums that fits in really well with the VG+ vibe, quirky UK SSW, with a bit of folk-funk, possibly a bit same-y, but I'll definitely be giving it a few more spins. I can't really resist Moroder stuff when I see it cheap. Wonky disco in excelsis.

Bit of a VG+ canon fodder onslaught here. Mostly from chazzas (Ragtime was from Anarchy). Red Arrows has a couple of slightly funky big band numbers, maybe not a keeper - I left the Pathfinders one behind, IIRC, it didn't have owt on it, if that was erroneous, I'm sure it will be there next time I go. Spares of Shadows and Liberace, I should get round to some freebies over the Christmas break.

Random chazza finds. Harry Stoneham's not his best, off to the freebies pile. Lord Rockingham is surprisingly good, some proper beaty groovers on here. Bit of ECM action with some tracks being rather challenging avant / free jazz and others being less challenging latin jams, not my kind of thing though, so it's going in the trades pile and will inevitably migrate to the freebies pile if no-one wants a swopsie. Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was from same chazza as the Kuhn, I was sure there would be a bit of music, but no. Freebie.

Judy Mackenzie was also from the antiques shop and is much better than I remember it, think I'll hang on to it this time. Spare of West Cornwall. Despite the early (1963) date, this Dankworth hit the spot for me. Incidentally, with the BBC remake of 'Rillington Place' (I reckon Roth out-creeps Dickie), did anyone else notice how great the Dankworth soundtrack of the film is? Not one that they'd be overly keen to release as an OST though. Bearsville comp with Bobby Charles 'Small Town Talk' - lovely.

Some stuff acquired in trades down the market on Saturday. 'Cannibalism' will make a nice Christmas gift for a work colleague. Bauhaus is mine, obviously! Steve and Bonnie is another of those LPs that would probably only find favour on this very site, only had a quick needle drop of it mind (I'm mega busy this week), but it sounded pretty good, though would have been a lot better if it had just been Bonnie, as Steve sounds like he's trying to pass a cricket ball. John and Beverley Martyn is basically gorgeous, very hard to choose between this and 'Stormbringer', can see this one getting a lot of play over the next few weeks.

And United won. It's a Christmas miracle!
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    And this one too...

Can't find a YouTube link for this one. As it says on the cover it's jazz.

Rather enjoyable, couple of the tracks kind of remind me of libaek I think...

If I were to compile an "op shops of Australia" list, this would be right up there - not groundbreaking stuff but there's nothing I'd skip when I'm in the mood. There is in fact a Volume 2, but it seems to be scarcer. I've yet to see a copy.