Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 12 - 2016

Default 12 - 2016

Finally. My avatar is the sleeve of the most common record in Swedish crates. It's very rare that you don't flip past it in a charity/bootsale crate. If it's not already at front as a lot of diggers like to front the crate with Pelle Karlsson's "Green Album", it's like a signal that it's not worth the while to continue, everything interesting is gone. The gospel album sold about 300.000 in the 70s with Pelle's Swedish rendition of There Goes My Everything leading.
    Today at a charity shop was no exception, the green sleeve was at front. But I persevered, and was rewarded with this. The only album by xian New Creation from 1969, with, you guessed it, Per-Olof "Pelle" Karlsson on guitar and vocals. It's not a grail, but maybe the most sought after Swedish xian album.

I also found an accessory to my Philicorda organ, one of the rhythm records you could buy, to hook up your record player to the organ and play along.

------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

I've wanted that New Creation LP for yonks but I guess it doesn't pop up too often... and not at all outside of Sweden. Nice find!
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Quote Originally Posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    I've wanted that New Creation LP for yonks but I guess it doesn't pop up too often... and not at all outside of Sweden. Nice find!
    No, it doesnt pop up that often. First time for me in the wild. I guess the cover is psychey enough for most people to grab it, if they are not put off by the label Hemmets Härold which is 99.99% really boring Xian.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Time for a quick round up.

Not sure where I'd source good 45s if it wasn't for Mr Sayers. He sorted me out with this lovely clean UK copy of a classic.

Was pleased to nab a copy of this extremely limited snotty garage punk 45

Mr Sayers also sorted me out with these from a collection that landed in his shop. All great but the Human Instinct shreds!!

Was astonished to find a clutch of decent 45s in a charity almost literally on my doorstep today. Never seen the Uzi on a UK press before.

And finally. I was in a charity this afternoon and this caught my eye. I took it to be some sort of 90s dance white label at first and I left it and carried on looking. I then had another look it it and left the shop. But something was niggling at me about it, so I turned around, went back in the shop and handed over a quid for it. It turns out to be a rare NWOBHM LP. It's awful to my ears but looks to be sought after. It's already residing on the record flipping site we all love.

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Quote Originally Posted by LDJB View Post
    And finally. I was in a charity this afternoon and this caught my eye. I took it to be some sort of 90s dance white label at first and I left it and carried on looking. I then had another look it it and left the shop. But something was niggling at me about it, so I turned around, went back in the shop and handed over a quid for it. It turns out to be a rare NWOBHM LP. It's awful to my ears but looks to be sought after. It's already residing on the record flipping site we all love.
    I had to look that up. Nice find for a quid regardless of the musical content! Linking into the other thread I note you are using the MVE strategy of record pricing for this LP
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jude View Post
    I had to look that up. Nice find for a quid regardless of the musical content! Linking into the other thread I note you are using the MVE strategy of record pricing for this LP
    Correct Hayden

Bloody missed that Paul Orwell 45 I seem to have stopped getting the Heavy Soul mail-outs. Probably pressed the wrong button somewhere!)
    Excellent batch of 45s as ever Lee, it's already cost me with the Uzi one.
    Nice to find a valuable record in a genre you have no interest in.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

A little round up

Claude Francois includes the super phased Sierre moi griffe moi...Bend me shape me, fabbed up to the eyeballs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wt9FGKjcLc
    Patchwork on Belter, the Decca one is pricey whenever I see it.
    Fresh Air do a brill' version of For What it's worth, with a top geetar solo (gosh! how unfashionable)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxKD_9xwl8

Firestone was a BIN thanks to Fuz
    Bangtwister was a freebie from Eine. Many thanks sir, you were right, I do like it. Some kinda revolution sounds like early Nirvana with "Til the end of the day" style Kinks hooks

Ar-Kaics on Wick is fantastic modern garage rock in other words it sounds like it came straight out of 1966 which is how I like it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4CLW4D1Mg
    The DT6 - Got lucky on a reasonably priced copy of The Baden Persuader. Top, top tune. Music to sneek a peak out of the shadows to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDAJXs3Ji0
    The Jay Jays in a different style on Are you a woman?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP6FZ6akwGk
    The Atlantics - War of the worlds. Killer dramatic, surf blaster. Plenty of clips of the longer versions online, but none of this shorter and harder hitting US version!
    Carlo - Fever. Waves of wah wah in the chorus on this great version. Heads up to MrSayers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7FHZzo5jcg
    Atlantic ep with Sharon Tandy on one side, including Hold On....which is the reason I picked it up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vn5wVhy7t0

Andwella -Worlds End on reaction. Super lp. Hold on to your mind floors me every time. Can't help it, that's just how it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPRozDOz9cQ
    Jack Hawkins & His Orchestra - Everything is beautiful. Not as powerfull as the Plexium release (this is on Windmill) but still good.Worth 50p anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCC_9tDwbmg
    Chris Barber - Drat that frattle rat. Spoken about on VG+ recently. Weren't paying attention? Here you go then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Gxr3YVvrE
    Haven't had a chance to open my copy of Felted Fruit yet (Saving it for a 4 sided session). Big thanks to Siefly for continually coming up with the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboy View Post
    Bangtwister was a freebie from Eine. Many thanks sir, you were right, I do like it. Some kinda revolution sounds like early Nirvana with "Til the end of the day" style Kinks hooks
    Bangtwister's Agony Aunt is a long time favourite of mine since I heard it on John Peel. A real squall of guitars. Not on you tube but on discogs for less than three quid.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Crazy that Barber album didn't know he had it in him. Nice find on the 'Satisfaction' 45 too LDJB I got their first LP this year must check if that's on it (Edit it's not, released a year later). Only one solitary find dismissing some new purchases was this left from the recent record sale I couldn't make. Cover is a bit scuffed but vinyl is virtually unplayed, I never got with her years ago but listening with 2016 ears its great. Also came with an article on it from 'Sounds' cut out and stuffed inside. :

I did pick up a Marantz 2251b for 15 quid but I've cleaned her all out and the right channel is painfully low volume so I suspect a transistor has blown somewhere and it probably needs the capacitors changing. Still a good project to work on with my Dad, I could do with a scrapper as the front radio needle has snapped off and all the frequencys have rubbed off so I just put black electric tape around it. I'm never going to use the radio but it looks cool all lit up with the VU meter next to it. Someones defo been in it before there's some evidence of tampering about but other than that its clean as a whistle and the left channel sounds really good so there is some hope.

Still jealous of your Phillicorda crate.

Picked up the Fresh Air album recently but it's already gone out so I never had a chance to hear the cover of "For What It's Worth". Ok YouTube, here I come ✌️

A little round up
    GET IN! I see you nabbed the highly collectable debut single by Emeli Sande (although I suspect to your eternal credit you've never even heard of her... ) And I need to check that new 45 on Wick - Daptone's garage imprint, isn't it?

[QUOTE=amidar;589703]Only one solitary find dismissing some new purchases was this left from the recent record sale I couldn't make. Cover is a bit scuffed but vinyl is virtually unplayed, I never got with her years ago but listening with 2016 ears its great. Also came with an article on it from 'Sounds' cut out and stuffed inside. :

That Laurie Anderson LP is great. Must dig my copy out and have a listen.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

This turned up at a flea market. It's a vocal version in Japanese of the Star Wars theme, which got in trouble with Lucas Films, who forced it to be withdrawn, because the whole thing was deemed to be low standard, lyrically and musically.

It usually sells in Japan for a couple of hundred quid.

I got it home and had a listen and it's really not that bad. Quite amusing, but more like the theme for a Japanese kids TV series, than a big budget blockbuster.

I wonder, did the Meco LP get in this kind of trouble?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Nice find with an amazing sleeve, complete with reference to THX-1138. If it was a cause worth fighting for, I am pretty sure I could handle a star fighter in that battle. I would prefer one of the globular gold spaceships though, which I suspect marks me out as an Imperial fascist, but that's a matter of aesthetics.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

I know, funny how your tastes and appreciation for things change as your get older it's mad that single got to number 2 in the charts and I don't think I've ever heard it played on the radio despite a myriad of crap jobs where they insist on playing rubbish 80's music stations 24/7 although weirdly enough it was on some documentary I was watching last night. I'd like that 5 LP live thing now people occasionally turn up on here.

Saying that I don't see myself becoming an 'Art of Noise' fan anytime soon which where I always mentally filed her music for some reason, couldn't be any different.

[QUOTE=Turboellis;589716]
    Quote Originally Posted by amidar View Post
    Only one solitary find dismissing some new purchases was this left from the recent record sale I couldn't make. Cover is a bit scuffed but vinyl is virtually unplayed, I never got with her years ago but listening with 2016 ears its great. Also came with an article on it from 'Sounds' cut out and stuffed inside. :

That Laurie Anderson LP is great. Must dig my copy out and have a listen.

really cheap finds from the Reading record fair yesterday, unsurprisingly nothing more than £1

The future saint had a go at the charts with this EP in '79

Another crumpled wrinkly face on this 7" from '73

I showed this test press LP find to a dealer at the fair and for some reason he gave me a right old bollocking for buying it!

I got more funny looks for buying this too, but some folk can be a bit weird at record fairs.
    The rear of the sleeve indicates it's for Capricorn's, I assume the full set has the same front cover?

a few 50p finds

An odd choice of backing band perhaps and it may even be signed!?

Best find of the day was this old fanzine from '91 which had the Cocteau's/Lush/Moose flexi freebie intact

The T-shirt will probably be worth a few quid now too

This flyer was tucked in the back pages

I'd never noticed Sid James' resemblance to Mother Theresa before.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I'd never noticed Sid James' resemblance to Mother Theresa before.
    Cheers BC that made me chuckle with much mirth after a nightmare day!

I did find this which I went back for after I saw it had been bigged up on here, it was literally find a pounds worth of change down the couch and nip back job. Hope Duncan doesn't let me down. According to the reverse of this LP he's 6'2' got Blue Eyes is Scottish and 32 years of age. I never knew he was so young. :

Yep well worth bobbing back for, organ driven, swinging London, easy cheesy, good vibes, great orchestration, crisp production. Knew it looked a winner, minty too. No doubt some of the usual Brit session suspects on this one alongside Dunc, the drumming is top draw!
    Last edited by amidar; 05-12-2016 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Divine One View Post
    GET IN! I see you nabbed the highly collectable debut single by Emeli Sande (although I suspect to your eternal credit you've never even heard of her... ) And I need to check that new 45 on Wick - Daptone's garage imprint, isn't it?
    Correct, never heard of her Do tell.
    The Ar-Kaics 45 is a blast Andrew. Got mine from Normans.

She went huge 2 or 3 years ago mainstream 'Adele', 'Winehouse' stylee TB!

That 45 can only go up in value I guess.

Could be wrong but I think her album broke through over time, I dunno, one of those deeply personal bare your soul things.

That is the extent of my pop picking knowledge!

Am I going mad, as I can't see the Sande 45? Or have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    Am I going mad, as I can't see the Sande 45? Or have I missed something?
    She sings on the DT6 45

Well, there you go then. Ta.

I never knew she was Scottish either so I've learnt something too!

Sorry people, I normally list both sides of the 45s I post up. The other side of the DT6 45 is Emiele Sande & Marco with The DT6 - Takes.
    I'm afraid she passed me by in her "famous" period (is it still going? I really have no idea). Nice patriotic label too. So is the 45 collectible because of her presence on that side, or just because The Baden Persuader is ace?

Sorry people, I normally list both sides of the 45s I post up. The other side of the DT6 45 is Emiele Sande & Marco with The DT6 - Takes.
    I'm afraid she passed me by in her "famous" period (is it still going? I really have no idea). Nice patriotic label too. So is the 45 collectible because of her presence on that side, or just because The Baden Persuader is ace?
    She was mega famous in an Adele type way (don't tell me, you've never heard of Adele... ) and I noticed she's back after a few years off and about to embark on a stadium tour. HOWEVER... I don't think her fanbase is that fussed about debut 45s on b-sides, so I think the 45 is collectable because The Baden Persuader is an absolute stormer. The last 45 on Starla features George Gallagher of The Poets, still available and well worth picking up.

A few novelty 7's.

Castle sound effects, For the home enthusiast.
    The Postcode song is exactly what you'd expect, Issued by the PO to encourage people to use their Postcode.
    Snooker themes is getting the most play, Pot Black theme.
    Heinz Noodle Doodle.

G

This arrived today

It's a Russian magazine, spiral bound containing 6 33/1/3rpm double sided flexi discs. I'd never seen them until I saw one on eBay for loads of money (this issue actually). I think they ran from the '60s, but don't know when they stopped. I think they were fairly frequent. This one is from '78. The flexis contain all sorts f stuff, spoken word, folk music, scatty jazz, and on this one, 2 tracks by Gunesh from Turkmenistan.
    The booklets are quite ingenious, there are holes through all of the pages, so there is no need to remove the flexis in order to play them. They sound pretty good too.

Most of the ones I've had a look at have great cover art, and can be picked up pretty cheap from Eastern countries. Mine came from Ukraine fairly quickly.
    Here's the 2 tunes which prompted me to dip my toe in.

This tune gets pretty interesting around 2.00

The eagle-eyed among you will note these are the same tunes I flagged up on the Abba flexi in the BINs.